• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Daunte Wright shot with Taser. And by "taser," I mean, "Gun."

Lack of training scenarios putting the officer under pressure, I would think.
She was likely suffering tunnel vision due to an adrenaline rush. She could not focus on what was in her hand but only on the suspect.

We don't focus on common tools, we just use them. She has no doubt trained with both taser and gun enough that both feel normal to her.

Lack of training scenarios putting the officer under pressure, I would think.
She was likely suffering tunnel vision due to an adrenaline rush. She could not focus on what was in her hand but only on the suspect.

I agree that she was suffering tunnel vision and that she was focusing only on the suspect. Who was black. And yeah: black is what I think 'distracted' her and captured her entire focus.

Maybe they do need to practice a lot more training scenarios with young black men as 'suspects' and the person they are pulling over for a traffic violation.

This wasn't a traffic stop. Cops run your plates before they approach you, she already knew about the warrant over an illegal gun--thus she knew he was a criminal, likely a gangbanger.

Compare and contrast: A young white man, only a few years older, drives to several locations where he shoots and kills multiple persons, in an unprovoked attack. The police arrest him WHILE HE IS STILL ARMED AND THE POLICE KNOW HE HAS KILLED MULTIPLE PEOPLE and some how the police take him into custody and speak with him gently enough to get his explanation for what he did and why.

Compare and contrast how the encounter with the police went.

The white guy bent over backwards to show he wasn't a threat.

The black guy resisted arrest.

Compare and contrast: A young white man, only a few years older, drives to several locations where he shoots and kills multiple persons, in an unprovoked attack. The police arrest him WHILE HE IS STILL ARMED AND THE POLICE KNOW HE HAS KILLED MULTIPLE PEOPLE and some how the police take him into custody and speak with him gently enough to get his explanation for what he did and why.

yeah shooting multiple people is not threatening
so why bother the black guy if he was shooting people?

The articles gives more details as to why this sometimes happens. Of course, it should never happen and imo, the officer who confuses a gun with a taser, and kills someone, should be tried for involuntary manslaughter. But again, we have too many incompetent police who kill suspects. I'm being generous when I call them incompetent. Some are just trigger happy.
Professional athletes make stupid mistakes too. Granted, it doesn't cost anyone their life, but it means the best can screw up. The question is, what should be the expected frequency of such mistakes.

One large issue here is that the chances of an accidental killing likely goes through the roof once weapons are drawn, whether actually needed or not.

I've seen a video of where it did cost their life:

Base jumper. It wasn't legal where he was jumping, if his chute had been his own the police would have confiscated it. Thus he was jumping on a different chute that had the ripcord in a different place. The video shows him grabbing for where the ripcord was on his chute. He ran out of altitude before correcting.

What is the point of trying to flee? You are already on the video, even if you are successful police will get you sooner or later.

What is the point of shooting? The suspect is already on the video, even if he is successful you will get him sooner or later.

If you don't stop them from fleeing they just always flee and your police are basically useless. Remember, the police already wanted the guy and hadn't caught him yet.

So to make sure you understand pointedly what my argument is, it is not that she didn't know how to use a taser (also, why is the taser policy so much more telegraphed than gun use policy?). Rather, my argument is that it doesn't matter how well you can execute all the other trappings of taser use if there is no muscle memory associating those preambles with the actual draw.

I think it's more telegraphed because you have a bit more time, you can warn your teammates. It's the same as fighter pilots making Fox calls when they fire their weapons.

yeah shooting multiple people is not threatening
so why bother the black guy if he was shooting people?

Pay attention to how his surrender went down.

Daunte Wright accused of choking and robbing woman at gunpoint, had arrest warrant

Fox News said:
Wright and another man, identified as Emajay Maurice Driver, a high school acquaintance, had both been charged with first-degree aggravated robbery in a December 2019 incident in Osseso, Minn., Hennepin County District Court documents show.
[...]
As Wright and Driver were waiting for their rides, the other woman who stayed behind said Wright allegedly blocked the door, preventing her from leaving. Wright then allegedly pulled a black handgun "with silver trim out from either his right waistband or his right coat pocket," pointed it at the woman and demanded the $820, the court documents say.
[...]
When she asked again if he was serious, he allegedly told her, "I’m not playing around."
Wright then allegedly choked the woman while trying to pull the cash out from under her bra, where she had tucked it away.

Charming young man. What is it with these Minnesota #BLM heroes and robbing women at gunpoint anyway?

Of course, you won't see any of this on CNN.

Like, this is literally my back yard. The rioting was shit, the situation was shit,

Were any other taquerias you like hit?

and this is why I keep asking to disarm the police.
So only criminals are armed?

Having most police be unarmed may fly in UK, where guns are rare, but not in a country as armed as US.

And if you're asking any honest person: should we wonder whether a wealthy-looking young white woman would have been as likely to be tased/killed in the same circumstance?
Same circumstances being a warrant for an illegal gun and a conditional release for an aggravated robbery?
Or are you still pretending this was all about an air freshner[sic]?

I feel like I need to say this. I don't agree with rioting. I think it only hurts the cause.
Good!
I'm all for lawful disobedience. For example (only) everyone refuses to give their I'd to the police and instead state their name is George Floyd
Reminds me of the notorious Polish scofflaw Prawo Jazdy.
(or any victim of police brutality). Allow yourself to be peacefully arrested and when they have a few zip codes of people being brought down to the station they'll have to do something to get people to stop. Just a thought. I'm certain people can come up with a better idea. Anything is better than rioting.

Just curious - what do you consider an action that would get people to stop giving police fake names? Police shootings need to be investigated and police officers have due process rights. And any decision about firing or charging a police officer should only be subject to the facts and the law, NOT any actions by the people. Justice should not be a popularity contest!

WHITE GUY HAD JUST MURDERED 8 PEOPLE AND WAS STILL ARMED!!!!!!

HOW THE FUCK IS THAT NOT A THREAT???????????????

Note: I am glad that the guy in the Georgia shooting was taken alive and uninjured. I truly am. I truly believe that he was in a mental health crisis and he killed a bunch of people, should never have had access to a gun, and no one should be in possession of high capacity firearms.

The police in Georgia demonstrated that it is more than possible to apprehend a truly dangerous, heavily armed suspect/known killer of multiple persons and to take that person into custody, alive.

So why the fuck cannot cops do that with unarmed black people?????????????

You are actually asserting that Daunte Wright was more of a threat/likely gangbanger than the mass killer in Georgia based on what? The color of his skin??????????

Nope means "no". So, nope.
So you are digging in on your ignorance.

You are sadly mistaken if you think the police stop everyone they see with expired registration tags.
You are sadly mistaken if you think police only pull people over if they are black. I got pulled over for it many years ago when I procrastinated a catalytic converter repair too long. You get a ticket and a fine is waived if you resolve the issue in a timely manner. But then again, I had no warrants for guns and robberies.
Speaking of which, it is certainly possible the cops ran the plates when they noticed them being expired and that they may not have pulled him over had they not come back as connected to a warrant.

So you think tasers are the police-response to someone going for a fire arm?
No, but it shows a definite level of concern over the suspects aggressive actions in breaking free from the other officer who was arresting him.

You are not fooling anyone. The victim's pedigree is immaterial to the actual incident, especially in the case.
It is material! The family was pushing the false narrative that he was killed over an air freshener when the reality is very different. His criminal behavior that led to the warrant that led to the arrest that led to him breaking free and diving into the car that led to the shooting.

you never miss a chance to "correct the record" of a black shooting victim. Sorry, your response does not pass the smell taste.
When the families/the media never miss a chance to push a false narrative.

Like, this is literally my back yard. The rioting was shit, the situation was shit,

Having most police be unarmed may fly in UK, where guns are rare, but not in a country as armed as US.

If we disarm police, we can go back to the era of private armies; mercenaries; and blood feuds. Don't have to pay taxes because who's gonna enforce that? It's brilliant.

WHITE GUY HAD JUST MURDERED 8 PEOPLE AND WAS STILL ARMED!!!!!!
Was he really armed at the time he was being taken into custody? I very much doubt that.
Also, stop shouting.

The police in Georgia demonstrated that it is more than possible to apprehend a truly dangerous, heavily armed suspect/known killer of multiple persons and to take that person into custody, alive.
He would not have been armed when they were taking him into custody. Had he tried to break free, he probably would have gotten shot too.

So why the fuck cannot cops do that with unarmed black people?????????????
They were taking him into custody peacefully. All Daunte Wright had to do was nothing and he'd be alive.

You are actually asserting that Daunte Wright was more of a threat/likely gangbanger than the mass killer in Georgia based on what? The color of his skin??????????
I do not know if he is a gang banger. He was on conditional release for aggravated robbery though and had a warrant for a gun charge.
And a person being taken into custody is not a threat if they comply no matter what they did before or how heavily armed they previously were. A person breaking free from an arrest is a much bigger threat than a compliant person, yes.

No but tasers are known to have caused over 1000 deaths. They should not be deployed lightly.
1000 deaths is a meaningless number without the denominator. Over what time did that occur?

And yes, tasers should not be deployed lightly. A violent and possibly criminal breaking free form an arrest is not lightly.

I also think that taking someone into custody during a traffic stop on a busy roadway is not the wisest thing to do. Too many chances for too much to go wrong.
Probably a lot safer than serving a warrant at the suspect's residence, where the suspect can use the house as cover.

How soon they forget! I was talking about the 21 year old who killed 8 people at multiple locations in Georgia just a few weeks ago.

It's not about forgetting, it's about you being cryptic.

I remember the poor kid who was killed. I don't remember what happened to the officer who killed him.
Nothing.
Yes, most people who are arrested are arrested without physical harm. But too many unarmed people are killed by police who should not be police officers.
Vast majority of people shot by police have been armed.
5211.jpeg

Another big difference is how often black people are followed, profiled, arrested and shot for simply existing.
Not true. Certainly not true in this case. Daunte Wright was not "followed, profiled, arrested and shot for simply existing".

What are you talking about? Owning a firearm is an American right!
What are you talking about? There are gun laws. Daunte was prevented from having a gun because he was on conditional release for a robbery. From here.
Fox News said:
Wright was arrested and later released on $100,000 bail. As a condition of his release, he was not to have contact with the victim or witnesses, had to refrain from drugs and alcohol, and could not possess a firearm.
Wright’s bail was revoked in July because he allegedly possessed a firearm and was not keeping in touch with his probation officer, according to documents obtained by Fox News.
The case was still pending when Wright was pulled over Sunday for having an expired license plate. Police then tried to arrest him on an outstanding warrant after failing to appear in court on charges that he fled from officers and possessed a gun without a permit during an encounter with Minneapolis police in June.
But you won't hear about that form Don Lemon et al.

Don't you know the constitution?
I do. Do you?

daʼjiyání?
t’éí áhodilʼį́įnii, iatsa
meh, so armed populace doesn't reduce crime?
firearms are not a deterrent?
is this law enforcement theory?

Back
Top Bottom