• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Defunding the Police?

That is really disingenuous, since the answer is in the next sentence.

Evidence that police are "ignoring actual violent crime"?
The problem is that when police respond to "actual violent crime", anti-police activists like you still blame the police and insist that the perp "didn't do nothing".
I like how you first demand evidence and then pull an evidence-free turd right out of your ____.

Not that I'd bother providing it, a basic understanding of US history should be enough to figure out that police in the 1950s-1960s were more interested in boxing black people in, than in actually aiding with violence within those areas...

Hell, I could tell you stories growing up in the 80s...
I cannot fathom people who readily dismiss the experiences of others. You know what saw, experienced and felt. Your experiences and the experiences of other blacks are your history - it shapes who you are and your views. When someone or organization loses the trust or respect of a group, it must earn that it back. And it is up to the organization or person to earn it - the harmed group is under no obligation to automatically respect/trust them.

It ought to be abundantly to anyone that the police have not done that in many metropolitan and rural areas. Until that is done, the deep distrust continues.

Minneapolis City Council members get private security detail after reported threats | TheHill
Three members of the Minneapolis City Council have reportedly been provided with a private security detail after receiving threats for supporting proposals to defund the city's police department in the wake of George Floyd's death.

The city is currently spending $4,500 per day on security for council members Andrea Jenkins, Phillips Cunningham and Alondra Cano, Fox 9 reported on Friday.

A spokesperson for the city told the outlet that the private security has cost roughly $63,000 over the past three weeks.

If only there was a public service for this kind of thing. Oh wait, there is, but the Minneapolis City Soviet wants to disband it and replace it with some kind of holistic practitioners.

The Hill said:
The city is currently spending $4,500 per day on security for council members Andrea Jenkins, Phillips Cunningham and Alondra Cano, Fox 9 reported on Friday.
A spokesperson for the city told the outlet that the private security has cost roughly $63,000 over the past three weeks.

So I looked them up. Cano has studied "politics of identity" in college and both she and Cunningham have been anti-police since long before George Floyd.
Star Tribune said:
Several candidates did not respond to the questionnaire. Those who did and said they believe “we could ever have a city without police” were Bender, Ninth Ward Council Member Alondra Cano; Phillipe Cunningham, who’s running for council in the Fourth Ward; Jeremiah Ellison, who’s running in the Fifth Ward; Janne Flisrand, who’s running in the Seventh Ward; Ginger Jentzen, who’s running in the Third Ward and Jeremy Schroeder, who’s running in the 11th Ward.
Some Minneapolis candidates say they can envision a city without police

They were just looking for a suitable excuse.

The bill itself:
H.R.7120 - 116th Congress (2019-2020): George Floyd Justice in Policing Act of 2020 | Congress.gov | Library of Congress - the bill has 230 cosponsors, all Democrats along with its sponsor. This is nearly every Democrat in the House.

That' a stupid name for a bill. Regardless of what one thinks of the case itself, George Floyd was a career criminal who should not be immortalized like this.

In Derec's prejudiced little mind, black men who have made mistakes in their lives are never allowed to walk in society as free men who have paid their debt, or accorded the right to be treated justly by the police. And Derec fails to mention that Mr Floyd never murdered anyone in cold blood, on the street, in front of witnesses, as his killers did. There is no outrage directed at the killer cops. Derec is outraged that a black man whose life was taken unjustly by the police, could be memorialized by the passage of a law. A man has to keep his priorities straight, I guess.

Minneapolis City Council members get private security detail after reported threats | TheHill
Three members of the Minneapolis City Council have reportedly been provided with a private security detail after receiving threats for supporting proposals to defund the city's police department in the wake of George Floyd's death.

Violence rises in Minneapolis, as debate over role of police rages

113 people shot since May 25; but only 8 fatalities due to poor marksmanship.

The bill itself:
H.R.7120 - 116th Congress (2019-2020): George Floyd Justice in Policing Act of 2020 | Congress.gov | Library of Congress - the bill has 230 cosponsors, all Democrats along with its sponsor. This is nearly every Democrat in the House.

That' a stupid name for a bill. Regardless of what one thinks of the case itself, George Floyd was a career criminal who should not be immortalized like this.

It is the wrong name for the bill but not for the reason you state. It’s wrong to name it after any one black person who has had a cop’s knee on their neck. There have been too many who have gone before Floyd. I must be missing something because I think the name would be obvious.

That is so fucking hypocritical! They want protection for themselves, but none for the regular people.

The bill itself:

It is the wrong name for the bill but not for the reason you state. It’s wrong to name it after any one black person who has had a cop’s knee on their neck. There have been too many who have gone before Floyd. I must be missing something because I think the name would be obvious.

As a more general rule, bills shouldn't have a person's name in them. Furthermore, any bill that does should be presumed bad unless proven good as they are almost always about "doing something" rather than doing the right thing.

I think it is wrong to make the law racial in any case. It should be about conduct, not about the race of the suspects.

In Derec's prejudiced little mind, black men who have made mistakes in their lives are never allowed to walk in society as free men who have paid their debt, or accorded the right to be treated justly by the police.
You are the prejudiced one, and the size of your mind is truly infinitesimal.
I wasn't talking about people (black or white, doesn't matter) being "allowed to walk in society as free men". It's about honoring criminals by naming things after them. Big difference there!
It's like Oakland naming a park after a Black Panther (Bobby Hutton) who died after he and his fellow racist black militants ambushed some police officers. Is that really who we should be naming stuff after?

And Derec fails to mention that Mr Floyd never murdered anyone in cold blood, on the street, in front of witnesses, as his killers did.
Floyd's death was most likely not even intentional.
That said, I do not think we should be naming things after Chauvin either.

To reiterate: George Floyd is not a hero. Neither is Rayshard Brooks, nor Michael Brown, nor Mario Woods nor any of the other myraid of criminals who became heroes to the #BLM movement simply because they were black criminals killed by police.

Is there some way we might predict what happens when demoralized police decide to sit it out and depolice; or when police are defunded? What prediction?

112 injured or killed in 83 shootings over 9 days in NYC: 'I haven't seen anything like this in my entire life'

Amid calls to defund the police, NYPD Commissioner Dermot Shea said last week that the city's homicide rate had hit a 5-year high and that the criminal justice system was "imploding." The number of people shot has risen 42 percent compared to last year.

H.R.7120 - 116th Congress (2019-2020): George Floyd Justice in Policing Act of 2020 | Congress.gov | Library of Congress - congress.gov now lists it as "Passed House". Now it has to be reconciled with the Senate's efforts.

Final Vote Results for Roll Call 119 for the bill.

All of the House's 233 Democrats voted for it. The bill was introduced by a Democrat, and it has 230 cosponsors, all Democrats. Meaning that only 2 Democrats did not co-sponsor it.

Most of the Republicans voted against it: 180 against, 3 for, and 14 nonvoting -- a total of 197 Republicans. The Independent, Justin Amash, also voted against it.

AOC says $1.5B NYPD budget slash didn’t go far enough - in a press release
“Defunding police means defunding police. It does not mean budget tricks or funny math. It does not mean moving school police officers from the NYPD budget to the Department of Education’s budget so the exact same police remain in schools.” ...

“It does not mean counting cuts in overtime as cuts, even as NYPD ignores every attempt by City Council to curb overtime spending and overspends on overtime anyways. The fight to defund policing continues.”

“If these reports are accurate, then these proposed ‘cuts’ to the NYPD budget are a disingenuous illusion. This is not a victory. The fight to defund policing continues.”

The deal Ocasio-Cortez was referring to would cut the number of officers in the city by canceling its July class of 1,163 cadets.

It also includes $350 million in cuts to overtime pay and other expenses such as travel enforcement and vehicle purchases.

That $1 billion would go instead to education, social services in communities hit hard by the virus, and summer youth programming for over 100,000 young people.

“Defunding police means defunding police. It does not mean budget tricks or funny math. It does not mean moving school police officers from the NYPD budget to the Department of Education’s budget so the exact same police remain in schools.” ...

“It does not mean counting cuts in overtime as cuts, even as NYPD ignores every attempt by City Council to curb overtime spending and overspends on overtime anyways. The fight to defund policing continues.”

“If these reports are accurate, then these proposed ‘cuts’ to the NYPD budget are a disingenuous illusion. This is not a victory. The fight to defund policing continues.”

The deal Ocasio-Cortez was referring to would cut the number of officers in the city by canceling its July class of 1,163 cadets.

It also includes $350 million in cuts to overtime pay and other expenses such as travel enforcement and vehicle purchases.

That $1 billion would go instead to education, social services in communities hit hard by the virus, and summer youth programming for over 100,000 young people.

Wow...she's even loonier than I thought.

Wow...she's even loonier than I thought.

OMG. Look at the spike in homicides, violent assaults, looting, and lawlessness. What should we do?
AOC: Defund police!

Reactions: WAB
Back
Top Bottom