• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Poll Dem VP Pic: your choice?

Reflecting that a poll is included in the thread.

Democratic Vice President Pick

• Josh Shapiro

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Gretchen Whimer

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Michelle Obama

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Cory Booker

• Hillary Clinton

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chuck Schumer

• Other?

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Eric Swalwell

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Andy Beshear

Votes: 6 26.1%

• Total voters
BetOnline lists Mark Cuban as #10 in their list of possible candidates, at 50/1 odds. They list Josh Shapiro as #1, at 2/1 odds.

Among celebs, George Clooney is listed as 100/1, and Oprah at 250/1.

I think the nomination should go to Kelly.

It doesn't matter all that much if he's not great at debating. His resume, first with the Navy, then with NASA, and then in Congress, speaks for itself. We know how the man-o-sphere, and especially Donald Trump, will react to a man playing second fiddle to a woman leading the ticket. Kelly's backstory - retiring as an astronaut so he could care for his disabled wife, Representative Gabby Giffords, after she was targeted for assassination, then running for Congress so he could continue her work - is pretty compelling as a testament to decency, strength, and respect.

Thank you for reminding me about this. YES, that is quite a testament to decency, strength, and respect, and also to emotional resilience.
And he wrote a couple children's books including the New York Times best seller, Mousetronaut.
Being that nice man who wrote those books about a mouse in space can only help sew up the young mother vote.

NBC reports that the following have been asked for vetting materials:

North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper;
Pennsylvania Gov. Josh Shapiro;
Sen. Mark Kelly, of Arizona;
Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer; and
Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz.

I'd be good with Kelly or Shapiro. Nothing wrong with the others, but need the proper balance of the ticket and need a swing state to get more EV's.

Interesting that Beshear is not on that list. I don’t see what Walz brings to the ticket in terms of electoral heft, though he may be a fine man who’d make a fine president. As I’ve mentioned, I’d be very surprised if Whitmer is chosen. Of that list, I think Kelly is the best in terms of what he adds to the ticket, and he also sounds like the sort of human being who would be a fine president. He’s the anti-Trump.

Interesting that Beshear is not on that list. I don’t see what Walz brings to the ticket in terms of electoral heft, though he may be a fine man who’d make a fine president.
Walz has been spineless during the 2020 George Floyd insurrection that centered in Minnesota.
He also allowed a child murderer to get out of prison early just because of pressure by extremists.

As I’ve mentioned, I’d be very surprised if Whitmer is chosen. Of that list, I think Kelly is the best in terms of what he adds to the ticket, and he also sounds like the sort of human being who would be a fine president. He’s the anti-Trump.
I have heard he was a poor debater. KH needs somebody who can hold their own against Vance.

Beshear still strikes me as the most politically savvy choice. That vetting list may not be entirely reliable.

Beshear still strikes me as the most politically savvy choice. That vetting list may not be entirely reliable.
He certainly would not be able to deliver Kentucky, which went 62-36 to Trump in 2000 and even a bit worse in 2016. Do you think he would help with the Blue Firewall states that Hillary lost in 2016? States from Wisconsin to Pennsylvania? Better than say a governor of Pennsylvania or the governor of Michigan? Because that's what Dems will need now that Scranton Joe is going into a well-deserved retirement.

Last edited:
Watching Kelly's debate with Masters and I don't see any real concern on that front. Pretty standard performance.

A black Indian woman as president is a marvelous thing to contemplate. And she is clearly super-qualified.
I thought presidential candidates had to be American citizens?
Um, yeah, they do. She is of Indian descent. Surely you knew that, and knew what I meant?
I suspected that was what you meant about her descent. But you seemed to emphasis her descent and I was just curious about that.
It is good to have peoples from all over being involved. The British PM before Starmer was from India.
I look more closely at character, behaivour, attitudes etc. rather than where they are from. But their history can tell us a lot

A black Indian woman as president is a marvelous thing to contemplate. And she is clearly super-qualified.
Um, yeah, they do. She is of Indian descent. Surely you knew that, and knew what I meant?
I suspected that was what you meant about her descent. But you seemed to emphasis her descent and I was just curious about that.
It is good to have peoples from all over being involved. The British PM before Starmer was from India.
I look more closely at character, behaivour, attitudes etc. rather than where they are from. But their history can tell us a lot
She's from Oakland California. :rolleyes:

Apparently, Harris is "blowing up" on social media like Tik Tok, and Taylor Swift has endorsed her.

Swift did endorse Biden and Harris last time but hasn't said anything yet this time. Though many swifties are supporting and memifying Harris.

I look more closely at character, behaivour, attitudes etc. rather than where they are from.

Uh, yeah, I do too. Duh. :rolleyes:

But I like the fact that those QUALIFIED people excluded for two centuries and more by the white male patriarchy are getting their chance. You should like that, too. Do you?
I will always advocate for the best person for the job regardless of colour, sex etc.

Not this shit again. :rofl:

She was born in Oakland, CA. She's an American citizen. But some people were predicting the birtherism would arise again. Can't expect much else given that the QOP has nothing.

She's from Oakland California. :rolleyes:
I would not disqualify someone just because they are from Oakland, California.
If an important criteria for election is citizenship then where they live is irrelevant

I look more closely at character, behaivour, attitudes etc. rather than where they are from.

But I like the fact that those QUALIFIED people excluded for two centuries and more by the white male patriarchy are getting their chance. You should like that, too. Do you?
I will always advocate for the best person for the job regardless of colour, sex etc.
And if there are multiple “ people” or the “best” person declines the job?

I ask because rarely is there a single best person because people are unique combinations of various skills.

And if there are multiple “ people” or the “best” person declines the job?

I ask because rarely is there a single best person because people are unique combinations of various skills.
They are a unique combination of various skills. If the "best" person declines the job then obviously another is considered.
Those who decide must weigh up all considerations.
Where born, skin complexion, sex etc. should not be a fatal barrier to consideration.

Back
Top Bottom