• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Poll Dem VP Pic: your choice?

Reflecting that a poll is included in the thread.

Democratic Vice President Pick

• Josh Shapiro

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • Gretchen Whimer

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • Michelle Obama

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Cory Booker

• Hillary Clinton

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chuck Schumer

• Other?

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Eric Swalwell

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Andy Beshear

Votes: 7 26.9%

• Total voters
Kamala is staring her political tour with her new veep pick in Philadelphia. Sounds to me like a tip it will be Shapiro.

Kamala is staring her political tour with her new veep pick in Philadelphia. Sounds to me like a tip it will be Shapiro.
Palin was announced/debuted in Ohio, JD Vance in Wisconsin. Kaine in Florida...

Yeah, there is no guarantee, but it is suggestive. Also, the betting markets now list Shapiro as the front runner.

Wouldn't it be better to lead everyone on and announce her pick in Chicago at the convention instead?

Wouldn't it be better to lead everyone on and announce her pick in Chicago at the convention instead?
Nope. At least one state (Ohio) requires names before 8/7 or there abouts. That is why there is to be the virtual nomination delegate vote.

Shapiro has cancelled a long-scheduled trip the Hamptons where he was to attend several fund-raisers for his own campaign committee. Are the tea leaves telling us something?

A black Indian woman as president is a marvelous thing to contemplate.
Her ethnic origin should not matter one way or the other.
And she is clearly super-qualified.
Qualified, yes, but what do you think makes her "super-qualified"?
You are right: it should not matter. But to date exactly zero women have been elected POTUS. Only one person of color has ever been elected POTUS.

So why is it now that when a woman of black and Indian heritage running for POTUS, is race and gender an issue that must not be considered? Throughout our history white/male was a category that was an absolute must.

It’s weird to be decrying race and gender politics now.

Shapiro has cancelled a long-scheduled trip the Hamptons where he was to attend several fund-raisers for his own campaign committee. Are the tea leaves telling us something?

He may not know anything, but he is reportedly a top contender with some support among Harris's advisers. Since the VP is about to be chosen, he may feel it is necessary to be on call to meet with her when she does inform him of her choice. It could even conceivably be a move to nudge her to choose him, since it heightens expectations.

Pennsylvania Gov. Josh Shapiro cancels Hamptons fundraising trip ahead of Kamala Harris picking running mate

You are right: it should not matter. But to date exactly zero women have been elected POTUS. Only one person of color has ever been elected POTUS.
That does not mean that future POTUS candidates should be selected based on not being white or male.
The very phrase "people of color" is deliberately othering white people. In addition to being accurate - we have color.
So why is it now that when a woman of black and Indian heritage running for POTUS, is race and gender an issue that must not be considered?
Biden was not chosen in 2020 because he was a white man. Obama wasn't chosen because he was a black man but because he won a competitive primary.
Harris had her nomination handed to her.

It’s weird to be decrying race and gender politics now.
It is certainly not right to punish present day white and male potential candidates because of what happened in the past. All candidates should be evaluated on their merits. Tell me why you think Kamala Harris is a great candidate for president, and no, neither her genitalia nor her ancestry are good reasons.

Hold their own against…,Vance? Who has close to zero personal charisma? He writes well but he gaffs a lot.
Dems have this tragic flaw of frequently misunderestimating[sic] their Republican opponents. Gore did it with W. Hillary did it with Trump. I hope whomever is picked for running mate does not do it with Vance.

Re: Tim Walz being ‘soft’ on a child murderer. Walz was part of a three person panel who granted release for a man who was convicted as a 16 year old minor of firing a shot that killed an 11 year old girl in what was supposedly a gang related shooting.
It was more than early release. I would be more understanding if he were only released on parole. But his sentence was also commuted, such that he was not on parole when he was arrested on gun and drugs (incl. fentanyl) charges last year. He was also arrested this year.
He’s always maintained his innocence.
Many criminals do. Doesn't mean anything. Burrell specifically had three different and mutually exclusive alibis for where he supposedly was at the time of shooting. Obviously these are manufactured alibis.
A REPORT Assessing the Guilt of Myon Burrell For the Murder of Tyesha Edwards And the Selfish and Immoral Actions Of the Public Figures involved.
He’s served more years than he was alive at the time of the shooting. The child’s death is a terrible tragedy. But I think it’s a different kind of tragedy to lock away for life almost any teenager.
Burrell was 16. Old enough to know better than to shoot at people. Note that he was, at the time of murder, a veteran gang member, first as a Vice Lord and later as a Blood.
While I think releasing him on parole due to his age was ok, reducing his actual sentence so that he was no longer on parole is not.
How many years do you think a 16 year old should serve for murder and attempted murder? Especially when killing people on behalf of a gang?

I’m not super keen on Walz as POTUS or VP. He’s very much a politician. Which dues not mean that he does not make good decisions. I’m just saying that is my impression of him as a person,
He certainly made some bad decisions in 2020. The weak response to the riots as well as the Burrell commutation.

I do hope it's him. The fact that anti-Israel activists hate him is an added bonus.

Pro-Palestinian Groups Seek to Thwart Josh Shapiro’s Chances for Harris’s V.P.
Shapiro is a viable candidate, and would certainly blunt accusations that the Democrat support for Israel is somehow lacking. But I still think Kelly is the better choice.

Consider the two criticisms of Democrats that right wingers are currently going on about, the same ones Emily Lake made in the Racism and Kamala Harris thread: accusing Democrats of wanting open borders and to abolish the police.

Kelly has been very outspoken about border issues since he became a Senator in 2021. He's pretty hawkish about controlled immigration and beefing up border security and patrols. He advocated for the bipartisan border security agreement earlier this year, and was very clear in his criticism of Republican members of Congress who walked away from the deal they themselves had negotiated when Trump told them to make sure it didn't pass because he wanted to use the border issues as a way to attack Biden.

And Kelly is the son of two police officers. He would never 'abolish' police. He's open to reallocating funds to achieve a better balance between police and social services so that cops aren't trying to deal with the mentally ill and social workers aren't trying to deal with violent criminals, but he's not a starry-eyed idealist about it. The guy's pragmatic, practical, and more interested in what works than what sounds nice.

Ultimately, Harris will choose whoever she thinks she can work with, and whoever she thinks will bring the most to the ticket.

An outsider's view but Harris could chose from among the three who lead the IIDB poll at the moment: Josh Shapiro, Gretchen Whitmer and Andy Beshear.
They are of the right age and right experience.

Interesting new possibility for VP. Senator Gary Peters from Michigan. Plus he’s got a beard! The ghost of Schuyler Colfax!!
Age. Get a young person. Kelly is OK, outspoken, thinks, has to say something.

Last edited:
Democrats have NEVER favored open borders and abolishing the police, FFS. Anyone who thinks they did or do is so far gone is right-wing hate-o-sphere brainwashing that they are unreachable anyway, and picking Kelly will make no difference.

It is certainly not right to punish present day white and male potential candidates because of what happened in the past. All candidates should be evaluated on their merits. Tell me why you think Kamala Harris is a great candidate for president, and no, neither her genitalia nor her ancestry are good reasons.
But that's not for you to say, is it? You don't get to set the parameters.
A Black woman growing up/living a life largely dominated by old white males lends a different perspective on what it is to be American and not only deserves a seat at the table but occasionally at the head of the table.

It is certainly not right to punish present day white and male potential candidates because of what happened in the past.

:rofl:

What a howler! Being inclusive of previously marginalized groups — blacks, women, other minorities — is punishing white males?? Are you actually serious? This is the zero-sum game that is always presented: Any attempt to include the previously excluded is somehow UNFAIR to all the white male fuckups that have dominated politics, business, and culture for two hundred years. What a pathetic argument.

All candidates should be evaluated on their merits. Tell me why you think Kamala Harris is a great candidate for president, and no, neither her genitalia nor her ancestry are good reasons.

Again, are you effing kidding me?? She’s a former attorney general, a former senator and the current vice president of the United States. If she were a white man NO ONE would question her credentials, NO ONE would doubt she is a great candidate.

What were Donald Trump’s credentials when he first ran? He was a man who squandered his daddy’s fortune, a serial liar and a cheat, a crooked businessman, and now stands as an exposed rapist and a convicted felon. Those are some bloody goddamned credentials, ain’t they? But he gets a pass because he’s a white man, is that it?

Back
Top Bottom