• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Poll Dem VP Pic: your choice?

Reflecting that a poll is included in the thread.

Democratic Vice President Pick

• Josh Shapiro

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • Gretchen Whimer

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • Michelle Obama

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Cory Booker

• Hillary Clinton

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chuck Schumer

• Other?

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Eric Swalwell

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Andy Beshear

Votes: 7 26.9%

• Total voters
I sure hope she is smart enough not to go with Walz.

Unfortunately, she demonstrated very poor judgment in the 2020 race, which means it will probably be Walz ...

Reuters says Harris has narrowed the choice to Shapiro and Walz. I think Shapiro will get it.
Walz helps retain a state that isn't at risk. Shapiro helps with the state that is Alabama with NYC on both ends. Shapiro seems like the best strategic selection. I prefer Whitmer, but you know these DEI choices and white men demanding at least one white man on a ticket.

Yes, we need to keep practicing affirmative action for straight white cis dudes as we have for hundreds of years, otherwise their snowflake egos will shatter and they will need a safe space.

I sure hope she is smart enough not to go with Walz.

Unfortunately, she demonstrated very poor judgment in the 2020 race, which means it will probably be Walz ...

This makes Walz look like a better choice to me, and I was leaning towards Shapiro before you suggested she shouldn't go with Walz. Are you trying to use reverse psychology on us? :unsure:

Tea leaves for Walz.

And there was another black limo in the yard when they closed the gates. Was that just the Secret Service security that they had for him and other top VP candidates?

See:

Campaign 2024 - Candidate Protection

Under 18 U.S.C.' 3056(a)(7), "[m]ajor Presidential and Vice Presidential candidates," as identified by the Secretary of Homeland Security, are eligible for Secret Service protection.

Walz helps retain a state that isn't at risk. Shapiro helps with the state that is Alabama with NYC on both ends. Shapiro seems like the best strategic selection.
I think so too. And pissing off the islamofascists in Dearborn is just an added bonus.
I prefer Whitmer, but you know these DEI choices and white men demanding at least one white man on a ticket.
Who is demanding that? I have seen people on here say that Whitmer should be picked because they like the idea of an all-girl ticket, but I have not seen anybody say that anybody but white men should be excluded from consideration. Quite unlike excluding anybody who isn't a black woman for SCOTUS, Biden's running mate or US Senator from California.

Yes, we need to keep practicing affirmative action for straight white cis dudes as we have for hundreds of years, otherwise their snowflake egos will shatter and they will need a safe space.
What "affirmative action for straight white cis dudes"? For example, the last time Dems put a white man of any sexual orientation or geometric isomerism on the Court was in 1994, 30 years ago.

Don’t you right-wingers ever tire of this obvious gutter smear?
It's not "gutter smear"; it's reality of this activism and these protests. I have shown the Hamas flags being waved, and pro-Hamas slogans being spray-painted. And even those protesters who are not explicitly doing that are certainly not distancing themselves from the overtly pro-Hamas contingent.
This is the tactic: Anyone who is against Israel’s ongoing genocide in Gaza against the Palestinian people is automatically pro-Hamas, pro-terror, AND anti-Semitic to boot!
Calling Israel defending itself from Iran-directed aggression from Gaza "genocide" is the actual gutter smear here.
Jerry Coyne repeatedly pushes all these filthy lies at his awful blog.
 Jerry Coyne, the biologist? What do you have against him, other than him being Jewish?
In fact, the gay protesters are against genocide, as they and all of us should be.
"Permanent ceasefire" is a mirage without defeating Hamas, as they are quite clear that they want to repeat 10/7 over and over again until Israel is destroyed.
I have no use for right-wing evangelical Christians or their policies. But if someone were slaughtering them, I would protest.
If an evangelical Christian polity invaded their neighbors and massacred >1000 people and kidnapped hundreds more, and vowed to destroy their neighbors, I wound not fault their neighbors fighting back, even if that meant many from the attacking polity dying in the process.
Many German and Japanese civilians died in the latter stages of WWII.
4e2JXs.gif

No, that's just war.
And saying that Israel should not defend itself when any other country would have a lot of leeway to defend itself if attacked in a similar way is antisemitism.
Remember how we responded to 9/11. 10/6 killed ~10x more people on a per capita basis, and 9/11 did not involve Al Qaeda taking hostages.
The funny thing is this: The right-wingers are always attacking gays and other minorities for supposedly practicing “identity politics” — blacks voting only for blacks, gays for gays, etc. etc.
I am not a right-winger but I also detest identity politics. I also detest the far-left track of "queer" activism in areas unrelated (such as anti-police activism) or antithetical (such as opposing Israel vs. Gaza) to LGBTQ+ issues.
This is not true, of course, and also ignores the fact that for decades, huge numbers oif straight, white cisgendered men have been voting only for straight, white, cisgendered candidates BECAUSE they ARE straight, white, cisgendered men.
Two wrongs don't make a right. I voted for Obama twice. I did not vote for Mayor Pete, but I would.
Here we have a case of gays NOT conforming to this “identity politics” charge and they get attacked for it!
This is not identity politics, it's self interest. Identity politics is voting for a gay candidate just because he or she is gay. Self-interest would be being less likely to vote for a candidate if he or she for example wants to overturn Obergefell or even Lawrence. And Hamas, and even Fatah, are much further on the anti-gay spectrum than say Trump or Vance or even Mike Johnson.

Last edited:
Veep pick thread??
Yeah, yeah, this thread got away from us a bit there.

To get back to Veepstakes, I think Walz became popular with the kids mostly because he came up with the "weird" quip which then got picked up by various Dems, including Kami herself. I do not think that is a solid foundation for a running mate pick.

Walz seems to be OK, a little better than Shapiro (to me, an outsider), though he is not in the list.

Veep pick thread??
Yeah, yeah, this thread got away from us a bit there.

To get back to Veepstakes, I think Walz became popular with the kids mostly because he came up with the "weird" quip which then got picked up by various Dems, including Kami herself. I do not think that is a solid foundation for a running mate pick.

That may be why you reacted negatively to Tim Walz, but he actually has a lot of experience in government in a variety of roles, including the state legislature. He is a somewhat more experienced politician than Josh Shapiro, who has been an Attorney General before being elected governor a short time ago. Experience does matter--not only on the campaign trail, but also in running a government. Walz is a very popular governor in Minnesota. So there are a lot of good reasons for Harris to elevate him to the top rank of her VP picks. It is thought that he is much more likeable than Shapiro, some of whose past positions have made him controversial with the Democratic base.

Last edited:
Walz is a very popular governor in Minnesota. So there are a lot of good reasons for Harris to elevate him to the top rank of her VP picks. It is thought that he is much more likeable than Shapiro, some of whose past positions have made him controversial with the Democratic base.
The last things Democrats need right now is a VP pick that could stir up dissension in the ranks.

If Shapiro has alienated part of the base, that's a good reason to go with someone else.

Walz is a very popular governor in Minnesota. So there are a lot of good reasons for Harris to elevate him to the top rank of her VP picks. It is thought that he is much more likeable than Shapiro, some of whose past positions have made him controversial with the Democratic base.
The last things Democrats need right now is a VP pick that could stir up dissension in the ranks.

If Shapiro has alienated part of the base, that's a good reason to go with someone else.

This kind of thing just drives me crazy. Shapiro's position on Israel is simple and very mainstream: "He supports Israel’s right to exist and defend itself, wants a two-state solution, and views Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu as an obstacle to peace. And he views Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu as an obstacle to peace; calling him “one of the worst leaders of all time.” A large majority of dems believe this statement as well, including Andy Beshar, Waltz and Kelly. They are attacking him because he is Jewish. We need the moderates; we need to carry the swing states. I trust that if Harris picks Shapiro, it's because she feels he is the right person. And we have to come together. If we lose again because the far left breaks off - we deserve what Trump will send our way.

This kind of thing just drives me crazy. Shapiro's position on Israel is simple and very mainstream: "He supports Israel’s right to exist and defend itself, wants a two-state solution, and views Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu as an obstacle to peace. And he views Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu as an obstacle to peace; calling him “one of the worst leaders of all time.” A large majority of dems believe this statement as well, including Andy Beshar, Waltz and Kelly. They are attacking him because he is Jewish. We need the moderates; we need to carry the swing states. I trust that if Harris picks Shapiro, it's because she feels he is the right person. And we have to come together. If we lose again because the far left breaks off - we deserve what Trump will send our way.
I agree. I’m reading this stuff about how Shapiro is attracting “nasty” attacks from some progressives. The progressives need to stop this bullshit and keep their eyes on the big picture, which is defeating Trump, who would be a hundred thousand times worse for Palestine than any Democrat.

Just sayin' Walz is pretty great. I could definitely see him giving Harris a good bump, and doing a good job.

Honestly, the idea makes me a BIT angry though because if she gets him, we lose him.

Be it Shapiro or another, stating you are for a two state solution while giving Netanyahu all he needs to destroy any chance at this or any resolution with Palestinians is hypocritical.
I wonder how much juice being a homer from PA brings to the ticket? I've yet to dig into this. Does it bring more to the ticket than Walz growing up in fly-over country or his more midwestern/blue collar upbringing?
With Walz, there is no divisiveness to overcome. Does anyone have a problem with this guy?

I agree. I’m reading this stuff about how Shapiro is attracting “nasty” attacks from some progressives. The progressives need to stop this bullshit and keep their eyes on the big picture, which is defeating Trump, who would be a hundred thousand times worse for Palestine than any Democrat.
It drives me crazy because the right just dosn't care as much. They want to win. It's the equivalent of someone on the right throwing a tantrum because Vance favors stopping abortions after the second week rather than after the first week. This is why republicans dominate the US politically despite being the minority party for the past 30 years.

Back
Top Bottom