• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Poll Dem VP Pic: your choice?

Reflecting that a poll is included in the thread.

Democratic Vice President Pick

• Josh Shapiro

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • Gretchen Whimer

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • Michelle Obama

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Cory Booker

• Hillary Clinton

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chuck Schumer

• Other?

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Eric Swalwell

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Andy Beshear

Votes: 7 26.9%

• Total voters
Anyway, Daily Beast reports it is down to Shapiro, Kelly and Walz. I’d think it would be somewhat awkward to open her campaign in Philly without Shapiro at her side. And they need to nail down Pennsylvania. Shapiro would almost certainly do that.

Reactions: SLD
Oh, and Derec, look! All are straight white men! Isn’t that UNFAIR to non-straight white men??

Organized labor and House Democrats are pushing Walz.

Mark Kelly kinda looks like Popeye. :D

Looking like it’s down to three, Mark Kelly, Tim Walz, and Josh Shapiro. Walz is getting the look now. But I’m not so sure. Minn will go for her without him. Shapiro can bring PA, but not sure he can bring much else. He might be a liability in Michigan. Kelly might be the best all around choice.

Looking like it’s down to three, Mark Kelly, Tim Walz, and Josh Shapiro. Walz is getting the look now. But I’m not so sure. Minn will go for her without him. Shapiro can bring PA, but not sure he can bring much else. He might be a liability in Michigan. Kelly might be the best all around choice.
All anyone can seem to dredge up on Kelly is his opposition to some part of labor legislation, the PRO Act. He has issue with how "independent contractor" is defined as do some independent contractors. If the independent contractor does not perform work outside the hiring entity's business, they are considered an employee of that business. Fine if that's what the independent contractor wants.
Further, in the PRO Act only "employees" have the right to collective bargaining and to strike. If independent contractors attempted to, it could be considered price fixing under antitrust law. Though I can't find anything with Kelly himself explaining his position in detail.
While Kelly has said he would sign off on the legislation, I think he would attempt to not have it done so in its entirety.

If the only reason Buttigieg would not be considered is the obvious one, I hope Harris is struggling with that.

For a few reasons, I'm not sure that Mark Kelly would be a good pick. Then I read the article I'll link. You know the Trumpers will be all over this, if he's the VP candidate. He was a Shaklee vitamin huckster. I'd prefer someone with administrative experience, so a governor would be best imo. Not sure which one, I just don't see Kelly being the best choice and despite being only 60, he seems a lot older and ageism is a big problem in our damn country. Hopefully, Harris, who seems much younger than 60, will choose someone who is even younger than herself.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2024/07/31/kamala-harris-mark-kelly-background/

In 2015, former astronaut Mark Kelly rode a motorcycle onto a stage in China, with an American flag on one handlebar and the flag of the People’s Republic of China on the other. After dismounting, he told the audience before him how terrific Shaklee vitamins were, and how he took Shaklee Vitalizer on the space shuttle Endeavour in 2011, an out-of-this-world event honored on the Shaklee Facebook page.

“I took Shaklee vitamins and the Shaklee rehydration drink while in orbit aboard the space shuttle!” Kelly said, pumping his fists before the audience. “They worked very well for me in a very demanding environment. Now, it is up to you. It is up to all of you to take those tools that Shaklee and Roger” — company CEO Roger Barnett — “has given you, and turn it into something big! Each and every one of you can create your own successful Shaklee business, and it is the rewards from that business that will help you achieve your own dreams!”
In a video of his appearance in China, a Mandarin-language introduction says Kelly “lives in the hearts of the American people.” Then Kenny Loggins’s “Danger Zone” — straight out of “Top Gun” — plays, and Kelly drives his double-flagged motorcycle onto the stage.

For a few reasons, I'm not sure that Mark Kelly would be a good pick. Then I read the article I'll link. You know the Trumpers will be all over this, if he's the VP candidate. He was a Shaklee vitamin huckster. I'd prefer someone with administrative experience, so a governor would be best imo. Not sure which one, I just don't see Kelly being the best choice and despite being only 60, he seems a lot older and ageism is a big problem in our damn country. Hopefully, Harris, who seems much younger than 60, will choose someone who is even younger than herself.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2024/07/31/kamala-harris-mark-kelly-background/

In 2015, former astronaut Mark Kelly rode a motorcycle onto a stage in China, with an American flag on one handlebar and the flag of the People’s Republic of China on the other. After dismounting, he told the audience before him how terrific Shaklee vitamins were, and how he took Shaklee Vitalizer on the space shuttle Endeavour in 2011, an out-of-this-world event honored on the Shaklee Facebook page.

“I took Shaklee vitamins and the Shaklee rehydration drink while in orbit aboard the space shuttle!” Kelly said, pumping his fists before the audience. “They worked very well for me in a very demanding environment. Now, it is up to you. It is up to all of you to take those tools that Shaklee and Roger” — company CEO Roger Barnett — “has given you, and turn it into something big! Each and every one of you can create your own successful Shaklee business, and it is the rewards from that business that will help you achieve your own dreams!”
In a video of his appearance in China, a Mandarin-language introduction says Kelly “lives in the hearts of the American people.” Then Kenny Loggins’s “Danger Zone” — straight out of “Top Gun” — plays, and Kelly drives his double-flagged motorcycle onto the stage.
Well, there are pros/cons to each VP candidate. I think that it has to be either Kelly or Shapiro because they can deliver critical states. Republicans have an incredible EC advantage that dems can't ignore. Really like Shapiro. But he's Jewish and won't be liked by some (hurts Harris in Michigan). Kelly brings a state also. But he also shores up more of her weaknesses (not white, border, moderate, hero). I think either Shapiro or Kelly will be the pick.

Reactions: SLD

Oy vey. That is cringey. I didn't know Shaklee was still around. Our next door neighbor used to promote their products back when I was a kid. I believe its a multi-level marketing gimmick like Scamway. He's a smart guy...he shoulda known better that would backfire on him at some point. And as far as taking vitamins...

Well, there are pros/cons to each VP candidate. I think that it has to be either Kelly or Shapiro because they can deliver critical states. Republicans have an incredible EC advantage that dems can't ignore. Really like Shapiro. But he's Jewish and won't be liked by some (hurts Harris in Michigan). Kelly brings a state also. But he also shores up more of her weaknesses (not white, border, moderate, hero). I think either Shapiro or Kelly will be the pick.
I'm fine with Shapiro, but I also read an article this morning that said he didn't do anything when one of his aides was accused of sexual harassment. The state of Pa. ended up giving the woman 250K, and Shapiro denied knowing about the sexual harassment claim prior to it coming out in the open. Hope that's true. Of course, Trump raped or sexually assaulted over 10 women and the Trumpsters don't seem to care about that, but you know that they will take any little thing a Democrat has done or been accused of doing and make a mountain out of a molehill with it.

Maybe she needs to choose someone else. I don't think Kelly is a good option and it might be very stressful for his wife if he runs for VP. I just don't see him as helping the ticket and of course I could be wrong. Harris is smart. She will choose w ho she thinks will be best for her. I think Walz or Beshear would be best, but it's not up to me. Beshear is still my first choice. The president of the UAW just agreed with me. :giggle: He was on Face the Nation this morning.....Hope he has no little scandals in the closet.

If the only reason Buttigieg would not be considered is the obvious one, I hope Harris is struggling with that.

But that is a reason to consider. He would make an easier target for Republicans to attack, and that would provide a lot of fuel for a Republican smear campaign. But there are other good reasons not to pick him. He doesn't balance the ticket, and his only election victory was to become mayor of South Bend, Indiana, a state that he could not even deliver to help with the electoral count. He is an excellent debater and superb speaker. He has high name recognition and considerable charisma for liberal voters, who are going to vote for Kamala Harris anyway. However, there are better candidates to pick for a VP running mate.

But that is a reason to consider. He would make an easier target for Republicans to attack, and that would provide a lot of fuel for a Republican smear campaign. But there are other good reasons not to pick him. He doesn't balance the ticket, and his only election victory was to become mayor of South Bend, Indiana, a state that he could not even deliver to help with the electoral count. He is an excellent debater and superb speaker. He has high name recognition and considerable charisma for liberal voters, who are going to vote for Kamala Harris anyway. However, there are better candidates to pick for a VP running mate.
This.
Mayor Pete has integrity and smarts and charisma. I have high hopes for him in the future.
But I don't think he brings enough electability to the ticket at this time to be a good pick.
Tom

So just about 10 minutes ago, Senator Kelly posted this on his FB page:

Whether it was from my time in the Navy and at NASA, serving in the United States Senate, or visiting our troops overseas: I’ve learned that when your country asks you to serve, you always answer the call.

Mayor Pete has integrity and smarts and charisma. I have high hopes for him in the future.
But I don't think he brings enough electability to the ticket at this time to be a good pick.
Tom
He is young enough to be a viable candidate for president for 2032 (if Kami wins and runs as an incumbent in 2028) or 2028 (if Trump wins). He'd only be 50 in 2032. The question is, can he bolster his profile? Winning a statewide election (US Senate, governor) in Indiana would do the trick. Maybe he should have ran for governor, as it is an open seat, or for senate (also an open seat) this year.

Well, there are pros/cons to each VP candidate. I think that it has to be either Kelly or Shapiro because they can deliver critical states.
It seems that Shapiro might be better able to do that. Harris is trailing more in Arizona. And Shapiro might be better poised to help her with the positions that are hurting her in PA such as her erstwhile opposition to fracking. But I think overall both Kelly and Shapiro seem like good picks.
Republicans have an incredible EC advantage that dems can't ignore. Really like Shapiro. But he's Jewish and won't be liked by some (hurts Harris in Michigan).
Not going for a Jewish running mate in order to appease the Dearborn "Klan With a Tan" is no more defensible than Republicans rejecting a black candidate in order to appease the OG Klan.
I think either Shapiro or Kelly will be the pick.
Agreed.

Right now it looks like Trump is coasting to a spectacular defeat. Certainly that’s the case if the trend of the last couple of weeks continues even at reduced intensity.
But don’t believe it; there is a yuuuuge investment in Cheato. They will resort to pre-election violence if the polls don’t tell them to relax soon.

Right now it looks like Trump is coasting to a spectacular defeat. Certainly that’s the case if the trend of the last couple of weeks continues even at reduced intensity.
But don’t believe it; there is a yuuuuge investment in Cheato. They will resort to pre-election violence if the polls don’t tell them to relax soon.

We'll see. Hope so. I think that she'll need at least 7 million more votes to beat him in the EC. I hate hate the EC. The republicans have a huge advantage there.

Reuters says Harris has narrowed the choice to Shapiro and Walz. I think Shapiro will get it.

Back
Top Bottom