• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Poll Dem VP Pic: your choice?

Reflecting that a poll is included in the thread.

Democratic Vice President Pick

• Josh Shapiro

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Gretchen Whimer

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Michelle Obama

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cory Booker

• Hillary Clinton

• Chuck Schumer

• Other?

• Eric Swalwell

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Andy Beshear

• Total voters
PETE. For fuck's sake. Pete Buttigieg. No one articulates the very heart of issues and Republicans' utter failure in all areas like Pete. It's way more than just historic to put Pete on the ticket as VP.

I love Whitmer, but does she really have that much recognition? Hilary and Michelle are both huge Nos, not because I wouldn't support that shit with all of my being, but because absolutely neither of them would, if for different reasons, I'm sure.

It's gotta be Pete. He's got the affluent white man thing going for him AND he absolutely thrives on engaging Republicans and calmly, clearly taking their immorality to task.

I don’t think a black woman and a gay man are going to fly, unfortunately. The nation is aswarm with bigoted morons.

Andy Beshear.
Offers the ticket nothing.

Why not?

Who? I follow politics, and have no idea who he is.

Read the link I just posted above. He is the 47-year-old governor of Kentucky, one of only two Democrats who hold statewide office there.
I think you missed the point.

I follow politics, and have never heard of this guy. The voters that really matter in November are not people who follow politics.

It's like you're at a party and you corner someone to tell them "look, you've never heard them, but you really should get into this band." I might give them a listen and say "wow, they really are great. Thanks for the suggestion!"

What the Democrats need is not "you've never heard of them, but you really should get into this band." They need someone with instant name recognition. "Oh yeah, I've heard of that guy."

They have just over 3 months to solidify a ticket. They don't have the time to get voters to listen to that one album that a fraction of the audience thinks is genius.

Andy Beshear.

Why not?

Read the link I just posted above. He is the 47-year-old governor of Kentucky, one of only two Democrats who hold statewide office there.
He isn't giving the Democrats Kentucky. I don't think this election is about the moderate, independent voter. This is about getting women and minorities to want to vote for the Democrat tickets in large numbers. Hillary Clinton went with Tim Kaine and it got her bubkis. I see Beshear as much of the same. This isn't a race about policy, but of turnout. Harris is the Prosecutor, already the somewhat moderate headed candidate.

Whitmer or Shapiro, with Whitmer as my first pick. I could be dead wrong, but while I think a Black Woman leading a ticket is tough, a dual female ticket might work against the anticipated misogyny. It is a Stone Cold Steve Austin dual middle finger, kick to the gut, stone cold stunner saying that not only is it good enough for the Presidency, it is great enough for the entire ticket.

Andy Beshear.

Why not?

I follow politics, and have never heard of this guy. The voters that really matter in November are not people who follow politics.

It's like you're at a party and you corner someone to tell them "look, you've never heard them, but you really should get into this band." I might give them a listen and say "wow, they really are great. Thanks for the suggestion!"

What the Democrats need is not "you've never heard of them, but you really should get into this band." They need someone with instant name recognition. "Oh yeah, I've heard of that guy."

They have just over 3 months to solidify a ticket. They don't have the time to get voters to listen to that one album that a fraction of the audience thinks is genius.

Quite often veep picks are people most people haven’t heard of. Sometimes that is an advantage. How many people have heard of J.D. Vance?

In any case, I think the cold political reality is she is going to have to pick a white man to balance the ticket. Beshear strikes me as a good choice.

Quite often veep picks are people most people haven’t heard of. Sometimes that is an advantage. How many people have heard of J.D. Vance?
JD Vance is part of the new GOP whose goal is to kill the Government. The Dem VP is just going to be a VP. But generally, the VP is supposed to add something to the ticket. Johnson was Texas, HW Bush was professional experience, Gore was... more south?, Cheney was more experience, Biden was more experience, Quayle and Pence added chastity. The nation is dying for youth. Experience isn't as critical, in my opinion. Beshear has solved a certain 'how to win in one state' equation, like Desantis. That doesn't make him viable or important, like Tim Kaine.

In any case, I think the cold political reality is she is going to have to pick a white man to balance the ticket. Beshear strikes me as a good choice.
I disagree, all-in! Negate the female issue by making it all female. By balancing it, you almost justify the concern.

JD Vance is part of the new GOP whose goal is to kill the Government. The Dem VP is just going to be a VP. But generally, the VP is supposed to add something to the ticket. Johnson was Texas, HW Bush was professional experience, Gore was... more south?, Cheney was more experience, Biden was more experience, Quayle and Pence added chastity. The nation is dying for youth. Experience isn't as critical, in my opinion. Beshear has solved a certain 'how to win in one state' equation, like Desantis. That doesn't make him viable or important, like Tim Kaine.
Not sure what Kaine added to the ticket. Beshear adds youth, energy, and a southern pedigree. He is probably a future presidential candidate in any case.

I disagree, all-in! Negate the female issue by making it all female. By balancing it, you almost justify the concern.

That’s a bet I don’t think the Dems will or should take.

Andy Beshear.

Why not?

Plenty will. JD. Vance is a women's nightmare. A catholic integralist, Catholic Christian nationalist. Combined with project 2025 and backwards Christian support for the GOP, the GOP has already lost the young women's votes. The question will be turn out. I predict women will make life hard for the GOP.
What may be a surprise campaign issue is 16 Nobel prize winning economists leading the charge against Trumponomics.

I'm not quite so sure. Voting comes in Roevember. I think a Harris/Whitmer ticket would go gangbusters.

PETE. For fuck's sake. Pete Buttigieg. No one articulates the very heart of issues and Republicans' utter failure in all areas like Pete. It's way more than just historic to put Pete on the ticket as VP.

I love Whitmer, but does she really have that much recognition? Hilary and Michelle are both huge Nos, not because I wouldn't support that shit with all of my being, but because absolutely neither of them would, if for different reasons, I'm sure.

It's gotta be Pete. He's got the affluent white man thing going for him AND he absolutely thrives on engaging Republicans and calmly, clearly taking their immorality to task.
He'd be very good at the job, but he'd make the ticket too weird for the closet fascists. Three unusual things in one year? They couldn't handle it.

Andy Beshear.

Why not?

I'm surprised by how many people haven't, to be honest. Many of us in the social sciences read and vigorously debated his book when it was first published, and were unpleasantly shocked when he took his hard swing to the right (and into office). I guess I forgot he was still obscure to a lot of folks. I still think he's a good writer, but we'd all be better off if he stuck to that racket...

Back
Top Bottom