• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Democrats 2024

I want to see Trump vs AOC.
Not gonna happen. AOC has more sense (I think) than to run in 2024 and Trump may run, but will not be the nominee. For one, I do not think he will be fit enough to withstand the pace of a presidential campaign. Right now I would go with DeSantis as most likely single canidate. Same lane as Trump, but 30 years his junior.
I want to see her taunt him mercilessly [...] for his tiny mushroom dick, his hair (all eight for them),
So you think it is ok for a female politician to mercilessly taunt a male politician about his genitalia or other physical attributes?
Do you also think it is ok for male politicians to taunt female ones about their genitalia or other physical attributes?
Or is this yet another case of those sexist double standards the fauxgressive Left is so infamous for?

his low IQ, his semi-literacy, his ignorance…
Well, AOC is plenty ignorant herself. On matters of economics (despite her degree), energy, foreign policy ...

ETA: Katie Porter would be the best President IMO. But that kind of stuff doesn’t much matter any more.
Even if she was, she needs a stepping stone from the House. Some statewide office would be best. And even then, she'd be handicapped by being from California.
Charlie may be right in that she may become a lifer in the Senate.

None of the moderates will be willing to run against Biden, none of the progressives have a chance, and Biden's signalling is clear as day, so I don't see much point in speculating about alternative candidates.
If Biden decides to run, he will be the nominee. If there is a strong challenger, that will really hurt Biden in the general. Remember Reagan challenging Ford or Ted Kennedy challenging Carter? Both failed, but both also doomed their opponent in the general election.

The problem is that, at his age, even if he wants to run again, something might happen to prevent him.
He would be almost 82 by the election, and a lot of things can happen health-wise. So, I do not think there is much harm in speculation at this point.

The "other side" is in a similar situation. We will be offered no novel choices in 2024, unless Biden and/or Trump fall off a cliff or get thrown in jail before then.
Even if Trump is not convicted, I do not see him being a nominee in 2024. US presidential campaigns are grueling, and long (campaigns would really get going in Spring/Summer 2023) and I do not think he is fit enough to do it again. A contrast between him and other candidates in their 40s and 50s would be stark, much starker than in 2016.
The campaign would be grueling for Biden as well, no question, but much shorter if there is no contested primary. And I do think that Biden is, despite being four years or so older, quite a bit fitter.

I know that some people drink Pepsi and some people drink Coke, but as the wacky morning DJ says, democracy's a joke.
Now, do you believe in the one big song?

The older I get, the more skeptical I am of the Great Man Theory. It's not about the person, it's about the team they can bring to the table.
*slow blink*
I'm sorry I know this is a complete aside, but... there are people alive who actually think the great man theory is... even remotely viable?
I can't even wrap my head around that, heh.
Trumpers certainly do see him that way.

I want to see Trump vs AOC.
I want to see her taunt him mercilessly for his failures, his cowardly unwillingness to debate with rules, for his criminal career, for his tiny mushroom dick, his hair (all eight for them), his low IQ, his semi-literacy, his ignorance…

I could see several hour long standup routines that would contain less repetition than any three minute segment of Trump’s schtick.

ETA: Katie Porter would be the best President IMO. But that kind of stuff doesn’t much matter any more.
I like AOC and am glad that she's in my party. However, she isn't a coalition builder. I just don't think that a charismatic candidate without coalition ability can win in the democratic party (that is possible in the republican party BTW). D's are just too large of a tent, too many diverse opinions, too easily offended. I really like Stacey Abrahms. She is very charismatic. But seems to be coalition builder for sure. If she can win governorship in Georgia, she could win any national office.
At least for now, AOC is most valuable as a kind of gadfly—she can push the party towards more progressive stands. I think that’s her role and it’s a very valuable one.

None of the moderates will be willing to run against Biden, none of the progressives have a chance, and Biden's signalling is clear as day, so I don't see much point in speculating about alternative candidates.
If Biden decides to run, he will be the nominee. If there is a strong challenger, that will really hurt Biden in the general. Remember Reagan challenging Ford or Ted Kennedy challenging Carter? Both failed, but both also doomed their opponent in the general election.

The problem is that, at his age, even if he wants to run again, something might happen to prevent him.
He would be almost 82 by the election, and a lot of things can happen health-wise. So, I do not think there is much harm in speculation at this point.

The "other side" is in a similar situation. We will be offered no novel choices in 2024, unless Biden and/or Trump fall off a cliff or get thrown in jail before then.
Even if Trump is not convicted, I do not see him being a nominee in 2024. US presidential campaigns are grueling, and long (campaigns would really get going in Spring/Summer 2023) and I do not think he is fit enough to do it again. A contrast between him and other candidates in their 40s and 50s would be stark, much starker than in 2016.
The campaign would be grueling for Biden as well, no question, but much shorter if there is no contested primary. And I do think that Biden is, despite being four years or so older, quite a bit fitter.

I know that some people drink Pepsi and some people drink Coke, but as the wacky morning DJ says, democracy's a joke.
Now, do you believe in the one big song?
I hope that Trump is charged and convicted. I hope that he does not run because of, we’ll he’s Trump, but as you mention, he’s too old, and he’s not particularly healthy or fit for his age—quite the opposite. But I thought the same in 2016. I’ve seen a recent ranking in NYT, I believe and they actually rank Don Jr. as a potential candidate.

My best guess is that the nominee will be DeSantis. He’s as batshit as Trump but younger, healthier, and more competent. I find the very thought to be horrifying, but I think it is likely.

Opinion | Power Ranking: Who will be the Democratic nominee if Biden doesn't run? - The Washington Post
  1. VP Kamala Harris
  2. Transp. Sec'y Pete Buttigieg
  3. CA Gov Gavin Newsom
  4. MI Gov Gretchen Whitmer
  5. MI Sen Amy Klobuchar
  6. NY Rep Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
  7. GA Sen Raphael G. Warnock
  8. NJ Sen Cory Booker
  9. OH Sen Sherrod Brown
  10. NC Gov Roy Cooper, OH Rep Tim Ryan, MN Gov Tim Walz, Commerce Sec'y Gina Raimondo, PA Atty Gnrl Josh Shapiro, CO Gov Jared Polis, CA Rep Ro Khanna

Mentioned in my previously-posted list but not in this one: VT Sen Bernie Sanders, MA Sen Elizabeth Warren, VP Kamala Harris

From  2024 United States presidential election a very sizable field.

Likely running: President Joe Biden

Potential candidates: NYC Mayor Eric Adams, Transp Sec'y Pete Buttigieg, NC Gov Roy Cooper, HI Rep Tulsi Gabbard, VP Kamala Harris, MN Sen Amy Klobuchar, CT Sen Chris Murphy, CA Gov Gavin Newsom, NY Rep AOC, VT Sen Bernie Sanders, OH St Sen Nina Turner, GA Sen Raphael Warnock, MI Gov Gretchen Whitmer, spiritual leader Marianne Williamson

Declined: GA St Rep Stacey Abrams, OH Sen Sherrod Brown, KY Gov Andy Beshear, NJ Sen Cory Booker, Sec'y of State Hillary Clinton, WA Gov Jay Inslee, CA Rep Ro Khanna, TV host Bill Maher, VA Sen Joe Manchin, NJ Gov Phil Murphy, First Lady Michelle Obama, CO Gov Jared Polis, IL Gov JB Pritzker, TV host Jon Stewart, MA Sen Elizabeth Warren

Who runs depend on party preferences and savvy. Preferences are political leanings. Savvy is understanding of underlying political motives versus electability fears.

Democrats are what I call a mob party, left leaning government service influenced, issue group issue oriented capturing most of what remains after the white capitalistic believers cooped and dominated by Republicans.

Both parties are moderate or slightly right of center mostly as residue of the last political struggle of the nineteen-thirties where the imprint of Communism vs Nazism movements drove us far closer to agrarian roots.

My current perspective is democrats are slightly collectivist but fearful of Communist lumping. Republicans are the current racist white minority showing strong hints of nationalism.

Who runs depend on party preferences and savvy. Preferences are political leanings. Savvy is understanding of underlying political motives versus electability fears.

Democrats are what I call a mob party, left leaning government service influenced, issue group issue oriented capturing most of what remains after the white capitalistic believers cooped and dominated by Republicans.

Both parties are moderate or slightly right of center mostly as residue of the last political struggle of the nineteen-thirties where the imprint of Communism vs Nazism movements drove us far closer to agrarian roots.

My current perspective is democrats are slightly collectivist but fearful of Communist lumping. Republicans are the current racist white minority showing strong hints of nationalism.

Collectivist? Bwahahaha! You mean GOP creeping theocracy isn't "collectivist"?

Since when are "agrarian roots" not collectivist, for that matter? Traditional farming communities tend to have strong collectivist structures built into their culture, rational maintenance of the commons is arguably necessary to prevent over-exploitation of the environment.

Republicans talk a big game about "tradition", I know, but they also oppose history education on principle, so... it's not reality that they're nostalgically looking back on. Democrats have the opposite problem, perpetually waffling on about "progress" and positive change, but usually fighting furiously to maintain the status quo in practice, until absolutely forced by social action on the minority groups to acknowledge one of their inherent hypocrisies.

Collectivist? Bwahahaha! You mean GOP creeping theocracy isn't "collectivist"?
No. They aren't collectivists in the Russia, US Roosevelt, traditions. They are clearly racist, Isolationist, ultra-capitalist. They don't practice theocracy. Rather the mouth segregationist theocracy in the name of white superiority ala KKK.

Hanna Trudo on Twitter: "NEWS: @PeteButtigieg is going to NEW HAMPHIRE
He’ll keynote the New Hampshire Democratic Party’s Elenor Roosvelent Dinner on Sept. 24" / Twitter

Eleanor Roosevelt, wife of FDR, activist, and feminist when feminism was in eclipse.

One has to be suspicious of politicians who show a great fondness for Iowa and New Hampshire. What is in these states that is especially worth visiting? Other than being early-primary states.

It got this response:
Jessica (Ka) L. Burbank, MPA on Twitter: "The Dem party never ceases to amaze me with their lack of awareness of public opinion. They either know and don’t care, or just decided to never try." / Twitter

I guess he should be avoiding looking like he's campaigning for president, so it won't look like he's campaigning for president? Is that the thought? I think everyone knows that Mayor Pete would like to be president if possible.

Back
Top Bottom