• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Democrats trying to unseat each other III

Seems like a firm rejection of Clintonism -- making lots of progressive promises, then wringing one's hands about how one can't do anything and cowering in fear of the Republicans.
I have yet to see all these numerous "progressive promises" by Clinton. He always was the champion of the Third Way between doctrinaire Left and Right. He ran on "ending welfare as we know it" for fuck's sake! This was inspired by Democrats' long sojourn in the political wilderness - really since LBJ with the 4 year Carter intermezzo after Watergate (and Carter at least ran as a moderate from the South). Clintonism was a rejection of the doctrinaire Leftism of the likes of McDoesntGovern who infamously lost all states but DC and Massachussetts. The Plumbers really should not have bothered bugging him ...
I remember how much the right wing demonized Bill Clinton as a left-wing ogre, but he was more of a mushy centrist. Barack Obama's Presidency was almost a Bill Clinton II Presidency, though Joe Biden's Presidency is somewhat different.
Obama managed to pass a major healthcare bill, among other things. Joe Biden is a huge disappointment. He ran as a moderate, but governs by giving in to the fauxgressives - for example he pushed for the inflationary $3.5T Spendapalooza. He also put KBJ on SCOTUS and she is to the left of Red Sonja Sotomayor. His DOJ is giving sweetheart deals to left-wing rioters and insurrectionists. I often use the image of Joe "Theoden" Biden being under the spell of Sandy Wormtongue and Bernie Sarumanders the White.

As for whether Walz is worried there will be backlash, he is not. “I’m not worried about that. If you do good policies, good politics will follow,” Walz said. “Good luck running next year to repeal meals for kids in schools. Good luck running on a six-week abortion ban like North Dakota just did. And good luck telling [voters], ‘We want to make it easier to get guns in schools.’”
As long as he doesn't do stupid shit like ban certain popular rifles based on them looking scary. I am all for sensible gun legislation.
But I do not see why the well-off should have their children's meals paid for by Minnesotans who are child free and less well off.
Or why Minnesotans should be punished for investing.
Is he being overly optimistic? We'll see in upcoming elections.
This is the state that reelected a Nation of Islam sympathizer as Attorney General and whose biggest city now allows mosques to blast religious propaganda at unlimited volumes in the wee hours of the morning. I do not have much hope left for Minnesota. Walz is probably safe for a little while at least. I hope the state turns around eventually, given that it is technically about evenly split, but that is not guaranteed. All it takes is a slightly more than half Dem voters to maintain a one party government, and MN Dems are particularly doctrinaire.

Last edited:
Elections have consequences.
Of course. But at the same time, it is not a law of nature that a political system should not include avenues for compromise and protection of political minorities. This increasing polarization of our politics is not a good development, be it in MN, CA, NY, MI or FL, ND, SC etc.

I would like to challenge some of your assumptions regarding costs of raising children and the net benefit/cost to society.
By all means!
To a certain extent, there are economies to scare for having more than one child: Likely you can pass along some clothing, toys and equipment that the older child has outgrown to the younger child.
Thanks for agreeing! Food also. It's cheaper to buy in bulk, and cooking costs per meal go down if you make more meals.

However, this presumes that the clothing is suitable (few people would dress their second born male child in his older sister's hand me downs) and has not been worn out beyond use--which tends not to happen for the clothing of infant children but definitely does happen for toddlers on up.
Toddlers still grow fast. They are more active though. Their everyday play clothes will probably get worn out but clothes that gets less use will probably hardly be broken in.
Likewise, I cannot remember how many baby strollers we went through, in part because we could not afford the more expensive, more durable type.
Sam Vimes' boot theory but for strollers?

Having a second child is not much more expensive, assuming you can re-use a lot of the same things you had with your first child. However, if you have a 3rd child, you suddenly are faced with needing another larger vehicle than the small one that held your family of 4. While you may (or may not, depending on how safety ratings go) be able to re-use the infant car seat for second and third children, you will likely still need to buy a larger carseat for the older children.
I am not saying that the marginal cost of children is zero, but that the marginal cost of the nth child goes down with increasing n.
That's why the benefits that are the same for 1st and 5th child are stupid. They should taper off and go away past 5th child.
The real huge cost is for child care. To have good quality childcare (and good luck finding it!), it costs a LOT of money. Much more for young infants and as the children get older, it becomes less expensive. It is not at all unusual for the entire paycheck of a parent to go to childcare expenses each month.
If that is the case, it is probably beneficial for that parent to stay home with the small child(ren). With availability of remote work, that parent would even be able to make money. And again you see economies of scale. If you have to hire a babysitter for a date night, they will not charge triple for three children vs. one. If one parent stays home, their lost income is not any more if they care for three children vs. one. Sure, retail daycare would be linear with n, but that is not the only option here.
If you are fortunate, your child is born healthy. Depending on your income, employment, and state and part of the state where you live, you may have only ordinary but still expensive costs associated with normal preventative health care for children. If your child has a serious or just a chronic condition that requires monitoring or medication (asthma, for example) your costs for health care may be extremely expensive.
True, but there is employee health insurance which is not any more expensive whether you have 1 or 3 children. And if you don't have employer healthcare, Medicaid is basically designed for people with children (it's virtually impossible to qualify when child-free).

FWIW, day care for an infant costs about the same as tuition at a public university.
Again, retail daycare is not the only option.

What does society get from helping to support children--that is, providing the needed infrastructure and support (education, health care, childcare)? Children whose basic needs are well provided for are more likely to do well in school, to complete school, and to become productive members of society. They become the doctors, lawyers, teachers, truck drivers, nurses, IT personnel, carpenters, engineers, etc. who will replace the older generations who retire and/or die.
I get the need for some support for children. Free K-12 public schools. Subsidized public colleges. I'd even support free community college.
But what I am against is this ratcheting of ever increasing demands for more and more subsidies. Esp. cash given to parents with no strings attached.
Providing well for children helps society to continue to function and to function well. Rather than spending money on maintaining incarcerated individuals, we enjoy the labor (and taxes from the labor) of a well educated, healthy, productive population.
That's a myth. Even if $300-360/month of additional subsidies had passed, some of those children would nevertheless grow up to be "incarcerated individuals".

Seriously, dude: Who do you think will help you in the nursing home you may live in when you're 93? Hint: They haven't been born yet!
Realistically, in the infinitesimally unlikely case I live to 93 (I resemble the Fat Bastard, remember?) I reckon it will all be robots by then. :tonguea:
I don't disagree that as society we need to support children. That does not mean giving in to every harebrained idea by the Squad et al about giving more and more entitlements to parents that we can ill afford given our deficit and national debt.

I agree that lower/middle class individuals should not subsidize the children of more wealthy families. I'm not certain how you think that is happening now.
Walz' free meals program in MN is not limited to needy children. And the Squad-backed expanded child tax credit would be capped at $150k of family income. That means that if you are making $30k but are child free, you are paying for $300/child/month for a family making 5x as much as you do. Is that really progressive?

Wealthy people have many more resources at their disposal--including mechanisms to avoid paying taxes. Frankly, I think there is very little excuse for billionaires and zero excuse for any billionaire to be able to buy the removal of bridge structures because their fucking yacht they had custom built is too fucking big to get out of port.
I think Bezos should pay for any work needed to get his yacht out. I do not think he should be prevented by a government from owning such a yacht though. It's his money, and besides, the yacht provides many well-paying jobs. Building and outfitting it, yes, but also for ongoing operations.

Or to use facilities paid for by all US taxpayers for their personal space missions. We seriously need to be very worried about Musk and others staking claims in space.
No, I fully support that. The more players, the more innovation. Why should there be a government monopoly on space? And Musk's SpaceX is providing cost-effective launch vehicles that US government is using too.

As we are told, the poor we have with us always, but being poor should not mean that you are not treated fairly and humanely, that you do not have chances to improve your circumstances or the circumstances of your children or that your children do not get to eat or attend school or live in decent domiciles raised by loving parents who may not have much money.
I do not disagree with any of this in principle. The devil is, as always, in the details.

How is what Walz is doing in MN different than what DeSantis is doing in FL?
Both are radical governors using the defacto one party rule in their respective states to effect massive change. The only difference is the direction of that change…..
Calling Walz a "radical" is hysterical. What "massive change" in Minnesota are you referring to? Restoring voting to unincarcerated US citizens?

Your screed could have come from MTG.

I have yet to see all these numerous "progressive promises" by Clinton. He always was the champion of the Third Way between doctrinaire Left and Right. He ran on "ending welfare as we know it" for fuck's sake! This was inspired by Democrats' long sojourn in the political wilderness - really since LBJ with the 4 year Carter intermezzo after Watergate (and Carter at least ran as a moderate from the South). Clintonism was a rejection of the doctrinaire Leftism of the likes of McDoesntGovern who infamously lost all states but DC and Massachussetts. The Plumbers really should not have bothered bugging him ...

Obama managed to pass a major healthcare bill, among other things. Joe Biden is a huge disappointment. He ran as a moderate, but governs by giving in to the fauxgressives - for example he pushed for the inflationary $3.5T Spendapalooza. He also put KBJ on SCOTUS and she is to the left of Red Sonja Sotomayor. His DOJ is giving sweetheart deals to left-wing rioters and insurrectionists. I often use the image of Joe "Theoden" Biden being under the spell of Sandy Wormtongue and Bernie Sarumanders the White.
When I read someone thinking they are holding in their own in a meaningful discussion but can’t stop themselves from assigning everyone a 4th grade taunt nickname to smear derision over their whole post, I have a hard time taking their opinions seriously. All I can think is that all the opinions typed are just mean-spirited lashing out without substance or any meaningful supporting data.

You can tell a lot about the legitimacy of the idea expressed when it arrives in the clown car like that.

I would like to challenge some of your assumptions regarding costs of raising children and the net benefit/cost to society.
By all means!
To a certain extent, there are economies to scare for having more than one child: Likely you can pass along some clothing, toys and equipment that the older child has outgrown to the younger child.
Thanks for agreeing! Food also. It's cheaper to buy in bulk, and cooking costs per meal go down if you make more meals.

But you have to be able to buy in bulk. This is not a problem for most middle class families but it's a pretty big hurdle for poor and working class families. AND you have to have the space to store your bulk purchases. For a lot of poor people, it's a struggle to cook at home because they don't have cookware, and because it's expensive to purchase basic staple items. I can say this with some confidence, having helped a couple of my kids in their first apartments by providing cookware and buying some staples that I and most middle class people simply take for granted that they will have in the cupboard (or really, pantry if you're talking middle class). It's much cheaper to buy meat in bulk, especially if you can buy a side of beef. BUT you need to have a chest freezer ($$), space for the chest freezer ($$$) and cash on hand to purchase a side of beef that could take your family mostly through the winter. Unless you have teenage boys. At which point, all bets are off. Take it from someone who raised a houseful of teenage boys. Food disappears faster than lightening.

Toddlers still grow fast. They are more active though. Their everyday play clothes will probably get worn out but clothes that gets less use will probably hardly be broken in.
All of toddlers clothes are play clothes. In certain families, particularly those who are well off, there might be some special outfit that Grandma bought for the family photos but that's not most families who are poor or working class or even middle class. As a kid who wore handmedowns and whose kids wore handmedowns: Clothes last at best through 2 kids. Especially if the kids are active. The third kid tends to get a lot of new stuff because the first two destroyed a lot of the original sets. And of course, it depends on how kids grow---I had kids who were big for their age and kids who were small for their age--and that changed as the kids changed ages. SOME things were passed down but some things could not be passed down because they were too worn out or were never the right size. By the time the kids are in upper elementary school/middle school and certainly high school, their body shapes might be so different that it is really hard to have Sally wear Marge's hand me down dress because Marge is big busted and Sally is flat as a pancake. Or the other way around. I was surprised at how much my kids' body types diverged by the time they were 9 or 10. Some things could be passed on but most could not. And that's not even talking about growth spurts! One of my kids grew 10 inches in one year. I could barely keep him in pants. His waist size didn't change but every couple of months, there would be an inch or two of ankle hanging out of the bottom of his pants. Or your kid could be like me who never met a pair of pants she couldn't put the knees out of, PDQ.

I live in a very working class town. There are thrift shops and charity shops and buy nothing groups, etc. People around here pinch pennies very, very hard.

I am not saying that the marginal cost of children is zero, but that the marginal cost of the nth child goes down with increasing n.
That's why the benefits that are the same for 1st and 5th child are stupid. They should taper off and go away past 5th child.

Not really. Except for daycare, older kids are more expensive than younger kids. So by the time the fifth kid rolls around, the oldest one's needs just cost more--and they wear out their clothing. And they eat more. Shoes! OMG trying to keep a kid in shoes! Babies don't need shoes and they don't care if their outfits match but a 10 year old almost certainly does care very much if their clothes fit with whatever is the standard for their cohort at school. The older the kid gets, the more expensive the kid.

That also does not take into consideration things like vehicle size, or home size. It's doable to have 3 kids sleeping in one bedroom while they are small but beyond that? It gets pretty tight. And the sleep schedules of an infant are different than a toddler which is different than a kindergartener or a grade school kid or a middle schooler or a high schooler. My kids all shared rooms during a big portion of their growing up years, as I did. It works out depending on age of kid, genders, temperament, sleeping schedules, study schedules, etc. Same with bathrooms. We hosted exchange students and at one point, I had FOUR (!!!!!) teenage boys, two grade school kids and 1 and a half bathrooms. My kids know how to share. Food disappeared as soon as my back turned. EVERYBODY showered daily--no exceptions. It was doable but boy!

If that is the case, it is probably beneficial for that parent to stay home with the small child(ren). With availability of remote work, that parent would even be able to make money. And again you see economies of scale. If you have to hire a babysitter for a date night, they will not charge triple for three children vs. one. If one parent stays home, their lost income is not any more if they care for three children vs. one. Sure, retail daycare would be linear with n, but that is not the only option here.

Yes, this is what I did and why I did it. Initially, I returned to work full time 7 weeks after my first was born via c-section (do not recommend) out of financial necessity. But because things changed for my husband and because we were coming to grips with the serious deficits in terms of our child care giver's....way of handling certain things, it was decided that I would stay at home. Which I did...and almost immediately began providing in home day care (not licensed. That wasn't really a thing back then). Then there were stops and starts as I finished my degree, moved hundreds of miles a couple of times for husband's career---and took whatever job would fit in with the kids' schedules until the youngest were old enough to make dinner for themselves if necessary and to be home without supervision for a couple of hours after school. Which meant that I did not get the career I wanted and while I certainly was paid well at my last job--the only job that paid well and provided benefits---my career/earning potential was permanently stunted. So it is good that hubby and I decided to make our marriage work. I'm not complaining: we are much better off than the vast majority of Americans. I'm just saying that I had options that many people with less means simply do not have.

When we first moved to this town for husband's job, I was an extreme rarity in being a stay at home mom. Almost everyone I met was working at least one job and pretty often 2 or 3, staggering shifts with the other parent to avoid paying for daycare, which was nearly impossible to find. This was necessary in order for them to keep a (rented) roof over their heads, food on the table (thanks to food shelves) and the lights on (most of the time). I wish I were exaggerating. Sadly most families now refer to daycare centers as 'school' and regard K-12 as daycare because they must rely on that in order to be able to work enough hours to afford to live.

Day care is difficult to find, period. GOOD daycare that is conveniently located and has openings for all of your children who require it: That's a unicorn. And it's a flying unicorn with a diamond horn if it takes assistance and provides a subsidized meal plan. Just typing this out, I cannot help but be overwhelmed by just how fortunate I was.

True, but there is employee health insurance which is not any more expensive whether you have 1 or 3 children. And if you don't have employer healthcare, Medicaid is basically designed for people with children (it's virtually impossible to qualify when child-free).

True but almost all insurance coverage requires co-pays and the number of doctor visits and co-pays and vaccinations and medications is cost multiplied by number of children. The chances that any of the kids will get sick increases if they are in daycare or in school or have siblings in school or daycare. Also the chances Mom and Dad get sick.

Poor insurance covers much less and does its best to avoid paying for any normal healthcare needs one would expect it to pay for. True story: One of the jobs I had when my kids were young was in the business office of our town's clinic. I remember one instance in particular when a mom brought in her 6 month old who had a mild fever, was very fussy, runny nose, not sleeping and pulled at her ear. This is a classic sign of: an ear infection OR teething. It turned out the child was just teething--so the insurance company refused to pay for the visit. Which was required in order to determine if the kid was sick or teething. Now, most middle class income families can absorb that cost but a working class family? That can be a disaster. One of my kids spent a couple of years working locally and the insurance his employer offered was so costly to employees and such poor quality that my kid, who was earning only a little over minimum wage, contacted an insurance agent and purchased better and cheaper health care insurance on his own, declining the piece of crap his employer (and most employers in my town) offered. I've been fortunate. Except for very early years, we've always had good health care insurance. Not everyone I know is so fortunate.

Medicaid depends on what state you live in. I know adults with no dependent children who are on their states (different states) Medicaid program. In some states, it's pretty easy for children to qualify for Medicaid and also for pregnant women. In other states, not so much.

FWIW, day care for an infant costs about the same as tuition at a public university.
Again, retail daycare is not the only option.

Eh, try finding daycare. It's really, really, really hard. And it's harder and more expensive if you have an infant. Or if you have more than one child and want them in the same daycare. It gets much harder if you must rely on state assistance to help you pay for daycare as not all daycare providers accept state assistance.

I get the need for some support for children. Free K-12 public schools. Subsidized public colleges. I'd even support free community college.
But what I am against is this ratcheting of ever increasing demands for more and more subsidies. Esp. cash given to parents with no strings attached.

So, earlier, you advocated for parents to just stay home/not work while their children are young. For a lot of families, this means being on much more assistance: subsidized housing, subsidized/free health care, WIC and other supplemental food support, assistance with utilities, Medicaid, and more. But I don't remember you being particularly in favor of paying for all of these other people's kids.

What I think: I think that there should be universal health care and it should be paid for by taxes. I think there should probably be universal basic income--something that I've only recently started to really support. I have a few individuals in mind whose circumstances changed my mind about UBI.

Early childhood education should be free and available to all. Some families really, really, really do need interventions/help with learning about child developmental stages, what is a nutritious meal and how to prepare one, resources within the community, etc.

If early childhood education and parental support classes are universally available, then the better off parents will insist on higher quality programs and everybody will benefit. Children will enter K-12 much better prepared and their parents will also be better prepared to help their children succeed in school.

Providing well for children helps society to continue to function and to function well. Rather than spending money on maintaining incarcerated individuals, we enjoy the labor (and taxes from the labor) of a well educated, healthy, productive population.
That's a myth. Even if $300-360/month of additional subsidies had passed, some of those children would nevertheless grow up to be "incarcerated individuals".

If you're going to tell me that's a myth, you need to back that up with some data. And yes, some kids will become incarcerated individuals. Guess what? That happens in families at ALL income levels and all levels of education. Again, I'm thinking of some specific individuals that I know personally.

I'd like to interject here what in a way is off topic but I think is actually extremely pertinent. Almost all crime in the US is a result of substance abuse, whether that is alcohol or some drug, legally obtained prescriptions or street drugs or whatever. I know enough people in the legal system to know that this is simply a fact. I read my local newspaper which lists police calls and arrests and it is extremely rare for the citation to NOT include reference to alcohol or drugs. This includes traffic violations, assaults, breaking and entering, stalking, sexual assaults, murders. This affects people across all social and economic classes.

Whatever we can do to help prevent people from abusing substances we must do. Some people are more biologically inclined--there's a strong genetic component to substance abuse. But there's also a strong social component. People who don't feel they have much of a future to lose by getting drunk or high....tend to be more likely to get drunk or high. Whatever we can do to ensure that children growing up can see a bright future for themselves before them will definitely cut down on the amount of crime and devastation caused by substance abuse.
Realistically, in the infinitesimally unlikely case I live to 93 (I resemble the Fat Bastard, remember?) I reckon it will all be robots by then. :tonguea:
I don't disagree that as society we need to support children. That does not mean giving in to every harebrained idea by the Squad et al about giving more and more entitlements to parents that we can ill afford given our deficit and national debt.
So, do you want to be in a nursing home when you are 63? Please do your best to get healthy, Derec. I need you to out live me and to stick around to argue with until I can't type anymore...

Walz' free meals program in MN is not limited to needy children. And the Squad-backed expanded child tax credit would be capped at $150k of family income. That means that if you are making $30k but are child free, you are paying for $300/child/month for a family making 5x as much as you do. Is that really progressive?

First of all, free meals is an excellent idea. Too many children are being/have been shamed because their lunch accounts fall into arrears because their families can't pay or forgot to pay. A dear friend of mine recalls that her older siblings used to have to work in the cafeteria--in elementary school--to pay for their 'free lunches' which was made necessary when their father was out of work for a while. ALL of the kids were bright and excellent students and all grew up to be very productive adults. But my friend's siblings still burn with shame they endured over 50 years ago, and so does my friend, to be honest. There is nothing gained by making children ashamed for something they cannot help.

I really cannot imagine where you get the idea that if you are childless and earning $30K/year, you are paying $300/child/month for a family making more money. Show your math but that's ridiculous and untrue.

As shocking as I find it, it is true that today, a family of 4 with an income of $150,000/year is....middle class and not wealthy. Oh, on that income in my town, you'd be doing really well but in NYC or LA or Chicago or Miami or Houston or Boston? Nope. You're struggling to make ends meet. Doing much better than someone making half that, sure.

As a final comment:

I do not think that our society and our tax system should allow anyone to become a multi-billionaire. People like Bezos and Musk simply are behaving as though they do not need to play by any rules but can make their own and run their own private kingdoms. And they do it with our tax dollars.

It's much cheaper to buy meat in bulk, especially if you can buy a side of beef. BUT you need to have a chest freezer ($$), space for the chest freezer ($$$) and cash on hand to purchase a side of beef that could take your family mostly through the winter.
You also need the stability of living in a place you expect not to have to move out of - if you're likely to have to move because the landlord chucks you out, or raises the rent above what you can afford, then you need to have an absolute minimum of possessions. Chest freezers are expensive to move, and if you need to move out before you've secured a place to move in, the contents are likely to go to waste.

To a certain extent, there are economies to scare for having more than one child: ...
I think that you mean "economies of scale".

That's a legitimate concept of economics, and there is more to economics than "have faith that the market will provide" capitalist fundamentalism.
Frankly, I think there is very little excuse for billionaires and zero excuse for any billionaire to be able to buy the removal of bridge structures because their fucking yacht they had custom built is too fucking big to get out of port.
Or at least design that yacht so that its masts are easy to remove. Jeff Bezos's superyacht was later towed out to sea using a different route that avoided that bridge. The masts are so tall because that boat is the size of a big sailing ship from a century or so ago. Jeff Bezos’ New Yacht, Koru, Is Finally Ready to Set Sail - The New York Times -- "Amazon’s founder has been spotted on Koru, a massive schooner with a design that evokes the golden age of sailing in the early 20th century."

I must say that superyachts are a gross indulgence. Why does one need a huge boat when one can get plenty of maritime experience in a much smaller boat?

Sure thing. 1992 Democratic Party Platform | The American Presidency Project -- for instance, "... and by supporting the right of workers to organize and bargain collectively without fear of intimidation or permanent replacement during labor disputes."
1. A party platform is not the same as promises by a presidential candidate.
I don't see much difference.
2. Did Clinton work against "the right of workers to organize and bargain collectively"?
No, he neglected them, as Barack Obama also did. AFL-CIO leader: Clinton, Obama let down unions

Joe Biden seems more union-friendly.

To a certain extent, there are economies to scare for having more than one child: ...

That's a legitimate concept of economics, and there is more to economics than "have faith that the market will provide" capitalist fundamentalism.
Frankly, I think there is very little excuse for billionaires and zero excuse for any billionaire to be able to buy the removal of bridge structures because their fucking yacht they had custom built is too fucking big to get out of port.
Or at least design that yacht so that its masts are easy to remove. Jeff Bezos's superyacht was later towed out to sea using a different route that avoided that bridge. The masts are so tall because that boat is the size of a big sailing ship from a century or so ago. Jeff Bezos’ New Yacht, Koru, Is Finally Ready to Set Sail - The New York Times -- "Amazon’s founder has been spotted on Koru, a massive schooner with a design that evokes the golden age of sailing in the early 20th century."

I must say that superyachts are a gross indulgence. Why does one need a huge boat when one can get plenty of maritime experience in a much smaller boat?
My paranoid theory? I think that Bezos and in a different way, Musk are attempting to create physical bases from which they can survive apocalypses or if they become persona non grata and have to flee the country--it gives them a platform from which to launch their new private kingdoms. Re: ship. At sea, in international waters, the captain is the law....

Realistically: I think Bezos had that yacht built to demonstrate that he could have that yacht built, and the bigger the better. Sort of the same theory but reverse in size for why some men of a certain age ride around in tiny but expensive convertibles....

Thanks for catching scale instead of scare. Not sure if it was my fingers or my computer being extra creative with corrections...

Clintonism was a rejection of the doctrinaire Leftism of the likes of McDoesntGovern who infamously lost all states but DC and Massachussetts. The Plumbers really should not have bothered bugging him ...
It's more complicated than that: What Democrats Still Don’t Get About George McGovern | The New Republic

Democrats have felt scarred by his loss for over half a century, even though the right wing of the Republican Party did not feel scarred by the loss of Barry Goldwater eight years before.
Obama managed to pass a major healthcare bill, among other things.
And not much else.
Joe Biden is a huge disappointment. He ran as a moderate, but governs by giving in to the fauxgressives - for example he pushed for the inflationary $3.5T Spendapalooza. He also put KBJ on SCOTUS and she is to the left of Red Sonja Sotomayor.
Fauxgressives? Red Sonja?
His DOJ is giving sweetheart deals to left-wing rioters and insurrectionists.
How is he doing that? This seems like some MAGA right-winger grumbling about the jailing of January-6 insurrectionists.
But I do not see why the well-off should have their children's meals paid for by Minnesotans who are child free and less well off.
Which contradicts
Or why Minnesotans should be punished for investing.
Right-wing whining.

What does society get from helping to support children--that is, providing the needed infrastructure and support (education, health care, childcare)? Children whose basic needs are well provided for are more likely to do well in school, to complete school, and to become productive members of society. They become the doctors, lawyers, teachers, truck drivers, nurses, IT personnel, carpenters, engineers, etc. who will replace the older generations who retire and/or die.
The alternative is, in practice, complicated bureaucracy that can cost as much to administer as the payments that it involves.

But then again, right-wingers seem to *love* bureaucracies.

Seriously, dude: Who do you think will help you in the nursing home you may live in when you're 93? Hint: They haven't been born yet!
Artificial intelligence is one of the great disappointments of my life. :( I remember optimistic projections of its progress in the 1970's and thereabouts, but such progress hasn't happened. We've gotten lots of other nice things, but not strong AI.
More like not wanting to spend money on such things. There is always plenty of money for right-wingers' favorite things, it seems.

I agree that lower/middle class individuals should not subsidize the children of more wealthy families. I'm not certain how you think that is happening now.
Pseudo left wing posturing.

Wealthy people have many more resources at their disposal--including mechanisms to avoid paying taxes. Frankly, I think there is very little excuse for billionaires and zero excuse for any billionaire to be able to buy the removal of bridge structures because their fucking yacht they had custom built is too fucking big to get out of port.
I think Bezos should pay for any work needed to get his yacht out. I do not think he should be prevented by a government from owning such a yacht though. It's his money, and besides, the yacht provides many well-paying jobs. Building and outfitting it, yes, but also for ongoing operations.
Thus implying that yachts are good while children are bad.

Calling Walz a "radical" is hysterical.
His descent started when he took the side of #BLM insurrectionists who were destroying Minneapolis.

What "massive change" in Minnesota are you referring to? Restoring voting to unincarcerated US citizens?
I already stated that I agreed with some of the changes he and MN Dems did, but that others go too far. Felon voting in one of them. It should be after they served their sentence, not after they leave prison. If a felon is paroled, they should not have their voting rights restored until they are off parole. If a felon is sentenced to probation only, they should be barred from voting for the duration of their probation.
Hardly.

When I read someone thinking they are holding in their own in a meaningful discussion but can’t stop themselves from assigning everyone a 4th grade taunt nickname to smear derision over their whole post,
I guess nicknames for politicians are only acceptable on this forum when they are given to Republicans? Or have you ever complained about such nicknames . Also three of them (Biden, AOC, Bernie) were connected to me comparing Biden's shift to the Left to the LOTR scene where King Theoden of Rohan was under the spell of Saruman and Grima Wormtongue.

I have a hard time taking their opinions seriously. All I can think is that all the opinions typed are just mean-spirited lashing out without substance or any meaningful supporting data.
I offered a lot of substance. I often offer supporting data in my post.
But this is also an informal forum. Some fun should also be allowed. You don't begrudge it to other posters, so why do you begrudge it to me?

You can tell a lot about the legitimacy of the idea expressed when it arrives in the clown car like that.
Do you feel the same for every post that uses a nickname for Trump or McConnel?

But you have to be able to buy in bulk. This is not a problem for most middle class families but it's a pretty big hurdle for poor and working class families.
Is it? I think it just takes a little bit of foresight and planning. Which is why I think the Boots Theory ultimately fails too.
AND you have to have the space to store your bulk purchases. For a lot of poor people, it's a struggle to cook at home because they don't have cookware, and because it's expensive to purchase basic staple items.
Storage is not the issue in the scenario I was offering. I was thinking specifically that a larger family will buy more things in bulk because they go through more food. When I buy things that don't keep, like lettuce or something, I have to buy the smallest container there is, because I live by myself. A family with kids can buy the huge package paying less per serving than I can. Economies of scale.
As far as cookware, a cheap set consisting of a couple of frying pans, some pots, utensils and even a griddle pan can be had for ~$50? A better quality set would be maybe $150ish or so. Doesn't have to be a Celaphon or AllClad set with all bells and whistles to allow a family to feed itself. And it's cheaper in the long run than going out to eat or DoorDashing it all the time. Again, it doesn't take that much money, just a little foresight and planning. Maybe you also need a peeler and a cutting board if you want to be fancy and don't want to use a knife.

It's much cheaper to buy meat in bulk, especially if you can buy a side of beef. BUT you need to have a chest freezer ($$), space for the chest freezer ($$$) and cash on hand to purchase a side of beef that could take your family mostly through the winter. Unless you have teenage boys. At which point, all bets are off. Take it from someone who raised a houseful of teenage boys. Food disappears faster than lightening.
I wasn't even talking about something as extreme as a chest freezer. Most people don't have that, especially renters. But regular food you can go through in a week, you can buy much bigger containers (that are cheaper per serving) if you have a (larger) family.

All of toddlers clothes are play clothes.
And so on. I don't really want to get bogged down in minutia of budgeting, as you already admitted that there were economies of scale having multiple children. That is enough to prove my point that any child tax benefit should not be linear with n. So I will be selective in what I reply to below.

I live in a very working class town. There are thrift shops and charity shops and buy nothing groups, etc. People around here pinch pennies very, very hard.
And yet other people buy Air Jordans for their toddlers. And call it rational. Why should I be subsidizing such irrational conspicuous consumption?

Not really. Except for daycare, older kids are more expensive than younger kids.
This argument is not about what age is more expensive, but that nth child is less expensive than the first. Which you already agreed with.

So, earlier, you advocated for parents to just stay home/not work while their children are young.
No, I said that if you make just enough to pay for daycare, staying home and avoiding the expense of daycare is a rational choice. ]
For a lot of families, this means being on much more assistance: subsidized housing, subsidized/free health care, WIC and other supplemental food support, assistance with utilities, Medicaid, and more. But I don't remember you being particularly in favor of paying for all of these other people's kids.
I never said both parents should stay home, although they can alternate if their employers offer flexible scheduling. Also, especially these days, staying home is not synonymous with having no gainful employment - working from home is a thing.
What I think: I think that there should be universal health care and it should be paid for by taxes. I think there should probably be universal basic income--something that I've only recently started to really support. I have a few individuals in mind whose circumstances changed my mind about UBI.
There are problems with universal healthcare too - just look at the mess that is NHS. But I would not be opposed to some sort of public option funded by tax dollars as long as private insurance wasn't outlawed. UBI is tempting to many, but if you make it too generous, you remove incentive to work. We have seen this when during the Pandemic expanded unemployment paid more than many jobs - people were and many still are loath to actually work for a living.
Early childhood education should be free and available to all. Some families really, really, really do need interventions/help with learning about child developmental stages, what is a nutritious meal and how to prepare one, resources within the community, etc.
Do you mean educating kids of educating parents? I think the latter is sorely lacking. Maybe we need a parenting license - you have to pass a written and practical test before being allowed to have kids. LMAO.
If early childhood education and parental support classes are universally available, then the better off parents will insist on higher quality programs and everybody will benefit. Children will enter K-12 much better prepared and their parents will also be better prepared to help their children succeed in school.
Why do you think everybody will have the same classes?

If you're going to tell me that's a myth, you need to back that up with some data.
I think those who claim more money given to parents would significantly decrease crime are the one who need to provide data.
And yes, some kids will become incarcerated individuals. Guess what? That happens in families at ALL income levels and all levels of education. Again, I'm thinking of some specific individuals that I know personally.
"So what" is that it contradicts your dichotomy of either spending money on even more child subsidies or on incarceration. As if the former would eliminate the need for the latter.
I'd like to interject here what in a way is off topic but I think is actually extremely pertinent. Almost all crime in the US is a result of substance abuse, whether that is alcohol or some drug, legally obtained prescriptions or street drugs or whatever.
[Citation needed] for that.
I know enough people in the legal system to know that this is simply a fact.
Your personal anecdotes are not data.
I read my local newspaper which lists police calls and arrests and it is extremely rare for the citation to NOT include reference to alcohol or drugs. This includes traffic violations, assaults, breaking and entering, stalking, sexual assaults, murders. This affects people across all social and economic classes.
So what is your solution? Neoprohibition?
Whatever we can do to ensure that children growing up can see a bright future for themselves before them will definitely cut down on the amount of crime and devastation caused by substance abuse.
And I do not think giving their parents ever increasing amounts of subsidies will do that.
So, do you want to be in a nursing home when you are 63? Please do your best to get healthy, Derec. I need you to out live me and to stick around to argue with until I can't type anymore...
I will try.
First of all, free meals is an excellent idea. Too many children are being/have been shamed because their lunch accounts fall into arrears because their families can't pay or forgot to pay.
And whose fault is that? Parents'! Not mine. So why should I pay for some dentist's kid's tater tots just because he might forget to pay into an account?
A dear friend of mine recalls that her older siblings used to have to work in the cafeteria--in elementary school--to pay for their 'free lunches' which was made necessary when their father was out of work for a while.
Hell, we all had to work in the cafeteria one day a week in elementary school - no exceptions. That was in an actually existing socialist country too.

I really cannot imagine where you get the idea that if you are childless and earning $30K/year, you are paying $300/child/month for a family making more money. Show your math but that's ridiculous and untrue.
If they get a generous tax credit, than others have to pick up the slack. A childless single person earning $30k pays almost $2k in federal income tax (not counting FICA).

As shocking as I find it, it is true that today, a family of 4 with an income of $150,000/year is....middle class and not wealthy. Oh, on that income in my town, you'd be doing really well but in NYC or LA or Chicago or Miami or Houston or Boston? Nope. You're struggling to make ends meet. Doing much better than someone making half that, sure.
So why should the person making half that fund your child tax credit with their income taxes?

I do not think that our society and our tax system should allow anyone to become a multi-billionaire. People like Bezos and Musk simply are behaving as though they do not need to play by any rules but can make their own and run their own private kingdoms. And they do it with our tax dollars.
They don't do it "with our tax dollars". They pay plenty in taxes. Elon Musk paid $11G (that is billion) in 2021.
It's just silly to say that billionaires do not pay significant taxes or, even worse, that they are somehow taking "our tax dollars".

Calling Walz a "radical" is hysterical.
His descent started when he took the side of #BLM insurrectionists who were destroying Minneapolis.
What does "took the side of #BLM insurrectionists" mean? And how did Walz take their side.
What "massive change" in Minnesota are you referring to? Restoring voting to unincarcerated US citizens?
I already stated that I agreed with some of the changes he and MN Dems did, but that others go too far. Felon voting in one of them. It should be after they served their sentence, not after they leave prison. If a felon is paroled, they should not have their voting rights restored until they are off parole. If a felon is sentenced to probation only, they should be barred from voting for the duration of their probation.
Why/ They have served their time. They will be in public. Probably working or trying to find work. Why shouldn't they be allowed to vote?
Hardly.
LOL - no.

But you have to be able to buy in bulk. This is not a problem for most middle class families but it's a pretty big hurdle for poor and working class families.
Is it? I think it just takes a little bit of foresight and planning. Which is why I think the Boots Theory ultimately fails too.
AND you have to have the space to store your bulk purchases. For a lot of poor people, it's a struggle to cook at home because they don't have cookware, and because it's expensive to purchase basic staple items.
Storage is not the issue in the scenario I was offering. I was thinking specifically that a larger family will buy more things in bulk because they go through more food. When I buy things that don't keep, like lettuce or something, I have to buy the smallest container there is, because I live by myself. A family with kids can buy the huge package paying less per serving than I can. Economies of scale.
As far as cookware, a cheap set consisting of a couple of frying pans, some pots, utensils and even a griddle pan can be had for ~$50? A better quality set would be maybe $150ish or so. Doesn't have to be a Celaphon or AllClad set with all bells and whistles to allow a family to feed itself. And it's cheaper in the long run than going out to eat or DoorDashing it all the time. Again, it doesn't take that much money, just a little foresight and planning. Maybe you also need a peeler and a cutting board if you want to be fancy and don't want to use a knife.

It's much cheaper to buy meat in bulk, especially if you can buy a side of beef. BUT you need to have a chest freezer ($$), space for the chest freezer ($$$) and cash on hand to purchase a side of beef that could take your family mostly through the winter. Unless you have teenage boys. At which point, all bets are off. Take it from someone who raised a houseful of teenage boys. Food disappears faster than lightening.
I wasn't even talking about something as extreme as a chest freezer. Most people don't have that, especially renters. But regular food you can go through in a week, you can buy much bigger containers (that are cheaper per serving) if you have a (larger) family.

All of toddlers clothes are play clothes.
And so on. I don't really want to get bogged down in minutia of budgeting, as you already admitted that there were economies of scale having multiple children. That is enough to prove my point that any child tax benefit should not be linear with n. So I will be selective in what I reply to below.

And yet other people buy Air Jordans for their toddlers. And call it rational. Why should I be subsidizing such irrational conspicuous consumption?

Not really. Except for daycare, older kids are more expensive than younger kids.
This argument is not about what age is more expensive, but that nth child is less expensive than the first. Which you already agreed with.

So, earlier, you advocated for parents to just stay home/not work while their children are young.
No, I said that if you make just enough to pay for daycare, staying home and avoiding the expense of daycare is a rational choice. ]
For a lot of families, this means being on much more assistance: subsidized housing, subsidized/free health care, WIC and other supplemental food support, assistance with utilities, Medicaid, and more. But I don't remember you being particularly in favor of paying for all of these other people's kids.
I never said both parents should stay home, although they can alternate if their employers offer flexible scheduling. Also, especially these days, staying home is not synonymous with having no gainful employment - working from home is a thing.
There are problems with universal healthcare too - just look at the mess that is NHS. But I would not be opposed to some sort of public option funded by tax dollars as long as private insurance wasn't outlawed. UBI is tempting to many, but if you make it too generous, you remove incentive to work. We have seen this when during the Pandemic expanded unemployment paid more than many jobs - people were and many still are loath to actually work for a living.
Do you mean educating kids of educating parents? I think the latter is sorely lacking. Maybe we need a parenting license - you have to pass a written and practical test before being allowed to have kids. LMAO.
Why do you think everybody will have the same classes?

If you're going to tell me that's a myth, you need to back that up with some data.
I think those who claim more money given to parents would significantly decrease crime are the one who need to provide data.
And yes, some kids will become incarcerated individuals. Guess what? That happens in families at ALL income levels and all levels of education. Again, I'm thinking of some specific individuals that I know personally.
"So what" is that it contradicts your dichotomy of either spending money on even more child subsidies or on incarceration. As if the former would eliminate the need for the latter.
I'd like to interject here what in a way is off topic but I think is actually extremely pertinent. Almost all crime in the US is a result of substance abuse, whether that is alcohol or some drug, legally obtained prescriptions or street drugs or whatever.
[Citation needed] for that.
I know enough people in the legal system to know that this is simply a fact.
Your personal anecdotes are not data.
I read my local newspaper which lists police calls and arrests and it is extremely rare for the citation to NOT include reference to alcohol or drugs. This includes traffic violations, assaults, breaking and entering, stalking, sexual assaults, murders. This affects people across all social and economic classes.
So what is your solution? Neoprohibition?
Whatever we can do to ensure that children growing up can see a bright future for themselves before them will definitely cut down on the amount of crime and devastation caused by substance abuse.
And I do not think giving their parents ever increasing amounts of subsidies will do that.
I will try.
First of all, free meals is an excellent idea. Too many children are being/have been shamed because their lunch accounts fall into arrears because their families can't pay or forgot to pay.
And whose fault is that? Parents'! Not mine. So why should I pay for some dentist's kid's tater tots just because he might forget to pay into an account?
A dear friend of mine recalls that her older siblings used to have to work in the cafeteria--in elementary school--to pay for their 'free lunches' which was made necessary when their father was out of work for a while.
Hell, we all had to work in the cafeteria one day a week in elementary school - no exceptions. That was in an actually existing socialist country too.

If they get a generous tax credit, than others have to pick up the slack. A childless single person earning $30k pays almost $2k in federal income tax (not counting FICA).

So why should the person making half that fund your child tax credit with their income taxes?

They don't do it "with our tax dollars". They pay plenty in taxes. Elon Musk paid $11G (that is billion) in 2021.
It's just silly to say that billionaires do not pay significant taxes or, even worse, that they are somehow taking "our tax dollars".
It takes more than a little foresight to be able to purchase in bulk. It takes available cash, transportation and storage. As someone who spent some time barely being able to cover her modest bills, who almost was made homeless because she caught mono and missed a week of work —and pay—it’s a LOT harder than you think. Especially if you don’t have a car or cash or much space. Also, my experience for years after that incredibly lean time was the minute I had saved up X extra dollars, there would be some unexpected abc unavoidable expense costing..X dollars. If you are lucky, you have a tight group of friends or family who are stable enough and willing to pool resources for bulk purchases. Not everybody is that lucky.

Working in the cafeteria was not something everybody had to do—it’s what you did if you were poor enough that your parents couldn’t afford lunch. It was a mark of shame—and intended to be a mark of shame. Everyone knew exactly why you were helping the lunch ladies.

Please show me the math that people making $30K/year are subsidizing the lunches of rich kids. Even with Georgia’s fairly regressive tax rates, a person earning $30K pays half the taxes of someone painting $60,000.

Elon Musk doesn’t pay $1 billion in taxes.

You also need the stability of living in a place you expect not to have to move out of - if you're likely to have to move because the landlord chucks you out, or raises the rent above what you can afford, then you need to have an absolute minimum of possessions. Chest freezers are expensive to move, and if you need to move out before you've secured a place to move in, the contents are likely to go to waste.
Of course. Keeping stuff in chest freezers is not what I was talking about though.
I was saying that a larger family will go through more food per week and thus they can buy it in larger containers which is generally cheaper. One of economies of scale.

She does.
In most cases though the market does provide.

If they want to pay to dismantle a bridge and put it back the way it was why the hell not? Some blue collar workers get plenty of overtime and are happy, so what's the downside?
Of course that is not a very cost effective way to get a boat out.
[/QUOTE]
Or at least design that yacht so that its masts are easy to remove. Jeff Bezos's superyacht was later towed out to sea using a different route that avoided that bridge. [/quote]
I am sure the Dutch construction workers were disappointed at the lost overtime. :)
It is a gross indulgence. But as he can easily afford it, what's wrong with it.
It is less of an indulgence than somebody buying a Merc and then bitching that they can't afford the maintenance, like a former coworker of mine did.

I don't see much difference.
I do. The presidential candidate is not the party.
2. Did Clinton work against "the right of workers to organize and bargain collectively"?
No, he neglected them, as Barack Obama also did. AFL-CIO leader: Clinton, Obama let down unions
This union boss thinks Obama let him down because he didn't pass the card check (i.e. open ballot, which would make union-skeptical workers susceptible to intimidation by union goons). What's wrong with a secret ballot anyway? He also doesn't like the TPP trade deal - I guess he was happier with Trump who scuttled it.
Joe Biden seems more union-friendly.
Too much so.

Back
Top Bottom