• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Desantis Declares Himself Emperor Of Florida?

An appointee to Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis’ new oversight board in control of Disney’s special tax district called homosexuality “evil” last year and shared a baseless conspiracy theory that tap water could be making more people gay.

On Monday, the Republican governor appointed Ron Peri, an Orlando-based former pastor and the CEO of The Gathering – a Christian ministry focused on outreach to men – as one of five people who will now oversee the Reedy Creek Improvement District, the government body that has given Disney unique powers in Central Florida for more than half a century.

The bill will place a real chill on academics in Florida state universities. My guess is that many of their leading professors i will leave for greener pastures. I think this outflow will be concentrated in the liberal arts and social sciences. The institutions will either have to try to raise compensation to get the better academics or slide down in overall quality.
I generally agree with you here and that should tell us all something about how politically left academics has become. In a better world I would think academics would be politically neutral.

For whatever its worth, right now, people are moving to Florida from the liberal states so they must like DeSantis a lot.
It is not politically left to discuss slavery and its effects. Nor is politically left to be worried that same numbskull appointee could come after your job because you investigate the effects of climate change or show that some favored policy has adverse effects.

There is no world where people (which academics are, after all), politically neutral.

There is no doubt that Gov. Desantis is popular with a segment of the population. There is also no doubt people were moving to Florida before Gov. Desantis was elected and that people will mover there after he is gone.

This bill will erode the quality of the professoriate in state universities in Florida over time. Perhaps that is the will of the citizenry. My guess is that the citizenry of any state as a group simply do not pay much attention to what goes on at these institutions except for the results of the division I football and basketball teams.

Great moments in the arts of rhetoric and logic.

For whatever its worth, right now, people are moving to Florida from the liberal states so they must like DeSantis a lot.

I used to walk into Burma once every 89 days for a passport stamp. I guess I was endorsing their junta's atrocities.
Even worse, I just bought a box of Belgian chocolates -- that proves I'm endorsing the inhumanities of King Leopold II.
And of course every American who remained in-country in 2017 must have been an avid supporter of President T****.

I used to walk into Burma once every 89 days for a passport stamp. I guess I was endorsing their junta's atrocities.
Even worse, I just bought a box of Belgian chocolates -- that proves I'm endorsing the inhumanities of King Leopold II.
And of course every American who remained in-country in 2017 must have been an avid supporter of President T****.
People vote with their feet.

Texas, Florida and the Carolinas were the preferred destinations of one-way U-Haul® truck customers during 2022, ranking as the top growth states on the annual U-Haul Growth Index.

Demand for equipment out of California, Illinois and New York remained strong in 2022, as more people opted to leave areas of the West Coast, Northeast and Midwest. California and Illinois ranked 50th and 49th, respectively, on the U-Haul Growth Index for the third consecutive year, meaning those states saw the greatest net losses of one-way U-Haul trucks.

An appointee to Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis’ new oversight board in control of Disney’s special tax district called homosexuality “evil” last year and shared a baseless conspiracy theory that tap water could be making more people gay.

On Monday, the Republican governor appointed Ron Peri, an Orlando-based former pastor and the CEO of The Gathering – a Christian ministry focused on outreach to men – as one of five people who will now oversee the Reedy Creek Improvement District, the government body that has given Disney unique powers in Central Florida for more than half a century.
This is exactly the type of political appointee who could help decimate the state universities of Florida.

People vote with their feet.
But their feet do not tell us why they are voting they way they do.

People make location decisions for all sorts of reasons. Most rational people understand that wherever they live, there will be positives and negatives. Are you seriously arguing that any net inflow into Florida from wherever is due to Gov. Desantis, let alone this particular policy? Because if you are, you need more specific evidence. If you are not, then you are simply babbling.

Are you seriously arguing that any net inflow into Florida from wherever is due to Gov. Desantis, let alone this particular policy?
I dunno about that. But the clear inference is that domestic migration favors low tax / regulation states and disfavors high tax / regulation states. An obvious red/blue contrast.

Are you seriously arguing that any net inflow into Florida from wherever is due to Gov. Desantis, let alone this particular policy?
I dunno about that. But the clear inference is that domestic migration favors low tax / regulation states and disfavors high tax / regulation states. An obvious red/blue contrast.

Maybe it is a result of low cost of living, particularly residential real estate, caused by a dysfunctional state government?

Red states are cheap. Blue states are worth it. Maybe that's the issue?
Tom

Eh, perhaps after paying the highest tax rates and then seeing rampant crime and disorder they wonder what they’re paying for.

Nearly 65,000 New Yorkers traded in their state driver’s licenses for Florida’s in 2022, according to data from Florida’s Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, according to the New York Post. That broke a record set the previous year, when roughly 62,000 New Yorkers left for the Sunshine State.

"People talk about the Florida lifestyle and weather, but they also say government policy, like when during COVID when our city was more open and lenient on things, as another reason why they came here," she says.

“And then you have successful people with big businesses who want to create their residency in Florida to save on taxes," she says. "Many jobs have become more flexible, and you longer need to go into the office and be in the cold. And it’s more affordable than New York. Like, why not live in Florida?

New York’s top income tax rate is 10.9%, and in New York City, the top rate is 3.876%. So, if you live and work in New York City, you could be paying a combined rate of up to 14.8%. In Florida, you pay zero in income tax anywhere you live.

Nuts!

This is exactly the type of political appointee who could help decimate the state universities of Florida.

And everything else about Florida and possibly the whole US. Evil/Crazy/Fascists appointing Evil or crazy or fascist idiots to positions of power.

Just look at the moron that Desantis appointed as surgeon general for a guide to how he wants to destroy that state and again, the US if he gets the power

Eh, perhaps after paying the highest tax rates and then seeing rampant crime and disorder they wonder what they’re paying for.
Except for the little detail that red states tend to have more crime. The noise they make about blue state crime is just a distraction.

New York’s top income tax rate is 10.9%, and in New York City, the top rate is 3.876%. So, if you live and work in New York City, you could be paying a combined rate of up to 14.8%. In Florida, you pay zero in income tax anywhere you live.

Nuts!
In Florida you pay the hurricane tax (crazy high homeowner's insurance.)

In Texas you pay 60% above average in property tax.

Florida you pay the hurricane tax (crazy high homeowner's insurance.)
How is paying insurance a tax?

It's not a tax if a private corporate entity gives you a choice between buying and not buying.

60% above the average of what, exactly?
Tom

Florida you pay the hurricane tax (crazy high homeowner's insurance.)
How is paying insurance a tax?

It's not a tax if a private corporate entity gives you a choice between buying and not buying.
It's common to call expenses that apply to an area a "tax" even when they aren't actually actual taxes.

And unless you are paying cash you will be required to have homeowner's insurance. It's not optional.

60% above the average of what, exactly?
Tom
The US average.

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – As lawmakers in Tallahassee consider Gov. Ron DeSantis’ budget proposal this session, they will be also be deciding whether to approve a steep funding increase establishing Florida’s own branch of the military.

DeSantis announced the revival of the Florida State Guard last June.

The state guard was dismantled at the end of World War II.

“The Florida State Guard will be comprised of Floridians, and it will be assigned to assist and help only Floridians,” DeSantis said in a news conference last June. “It will not be subject to be mobilized by the federal government, and the federal government cannot impose policies or penalties on the Florida State Guard.”

DeSantis claimed the Florida National Guard, which is governed by the federal government and was credited for helping rescue people after hurricanes Ian and Nicole last year, was not providing enough resources to the state.

Back
Top Bottom