• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Desantis Declares Himself Emperor Of Florida?

The videos from Florida aren’t hard to find: Dozens of clips of empty fields, abandoned construction sites, and scores of truck drivers calling for boycotts of the state have racked up hundreds of thousands of views on TikTok and Twitter over the last month. The common thread? Fear and frustration over the state’s newest anti-immigrant law, signed a week ago by Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis, which mandates that businesses with 25 or more employees verify the citizenship status of workers through the federal online portal E-Verify or face stronger penalties, among other new restrictions.

LOL - market activity is going to bring Desantis down.
Pity, too. I hope he finds the courage to throw at least one punch directly at Cheato before completely burning out. In truth, the more I see of him the more I was starting to root for him. He has less charisma than a horned toad, and the killer instinct of mayfly. If anyone could possibly lose the presidential election by a bigger margin than Trump, he’s the guy.

Isn't another current target of TeaParty ire, Anheuser-Busch, also a giant Florida based company?
I could definitely be wrong about that.

But at some point, throwing big Florida companies under the bus has to take a toll on an ambitious politician's chances.
Tom

Isn't another current target of TeaParty ire, Anheuser-Busch, also a giant Florida based company?
I could definitely be wrong about that.

But at some point, throwing big Florida companies under the bus has to take a toll on an ambitious politician's chances.
Tom
Anheuser Busch originated in St. Louis, Mo where it still keeps its headquarters. However, it is now part of Anheuser-Busch InBev SA/NV which is a Belgium based company and, according to its website, the world's largest brewer.

Ukrainian-American businessman Lev Parnas and his business partner were arrested in 2019, accused by the U.S. government of funneling a Russian oligarch’s money into American political campaigns. One recipient of Parnas’ donations -- Florida Governor Ron DeSantis -- has said he was barely an acquaintance.

“The governor does not have a relationship with these individuals,” DeSantis’ spokesperson at the time, Helen Aguirre Ferré, said in a statement on Oct. 10, 2019. Six days later, DeSantis told reporters that Parnas “was just like any other donor, nothing more than that.”

But DeSantis and Parnas worked more closely together than the Republican governor has disclosed, according to a detailed account of their relationship Parnas provided to Reuters and 63 previously unreported text messages from DeSantis to Parnas between May and October 2018, as DeSantis campaigned for governor. A jury later found Parnas guilty of campaign finance crimes and other charges.

The NAACP issued a formal travel advisory for Florida on Saturday in response to what the organization described as Gov. Ron DeSantis' "aggressive attempts to erase Black history and to restrict diversity, equity, and inclusion programs in Florida schools."

The civil rights organization is the latest to caution travelers against visiting Florida; the League of United Latin American Citizens and LGBTQ advocacy group Equality Florida previously issued travel advisories.

"Under the leadership of Governor DeSantis, the state of Florida has become hostile to Black Americans and in direct conflict with the democratic ideals that our union was founded upon," NAACP President & CEO Derrick Johnson said. "He should know that democracy will prevail because its defenders are prepared to stand up and fight. We're not backing down, and we encourage our allies to join us in the battle for the soul of our nation."

The law prohibits individuals who are "domiciled" in China and are not U.S. citizens or green card holders from owning buildings or land in Florida.
That oughta give DeSantis a bump in the polls.

The law prohibits individuals who are "domiciled" in China and are not U.S. citizens or green card holders from owning buildings or land in Florida.
I actually don't mind it except that it's "Chinese" rather than "Foreigner". Foreign investment driving up real estate prices is an issue in many areas (and not just in the US)--it's not a matter of racism, but foreigners seeking a stable place for their money outside the control of their government. China is especially bad about it because they haven't had a free market economy for long enough to have experienced a crash--none of her relatives get it when I point out the utter disconnect between what a property sells for and what it rents for. Their is an obsession with real estate as a safe investment vehicle.

I actually don't mind it except that it's "Chinese" rather than "Foreigner". Foreign investment driving up real estate prices is an issue in many areas (and not just in the US)--it's not a matter of racism, but foreigners seeking a stable place for their money outside the control of their government. China is especially bad about it because they haven't had a free market economy for long enough to have experienced a crash--none of her relatives get it when I point out the utter disconnect between what a property sells for and what it rents for. Their is an obsession with real estate as a safe investment vehicle.

Here's a copy of the complaint filed: https://www.aclu.org/documents/complaint-shen-v-simpson

I doubt DeSantis cares one way or the other. It's just kibble for the Trump base. He wants to start securing the bat-crap faction now rather than later. Make sure they don't sit home should their messiah fall out for whatever reason. He won't go so far as to alienate any other would-be voters, which is really tough to do in this climate.

Yeah, real estate is the sort of thing that, because it's zero sum, it will either generate an untenable conflict at some regular interval which sees some party directly and unexpectedly injured in some way OR we must design in elements to create softer, less sharply "quantum" effects on individuals in predictable ways.

The more general the target of the law, the better the effects will be for any given individual and the harder abuses will be, in general.

I would say limitations on ownership of single-family dwellings, limitations of ownership on buildings, limitations of ownership on business campuses.

The problem is not ownership, but rather that so few are allowed an ownership stake in anything, even in the work they do, and the fact that there is no gradual mechanism in place in society to deal with that.

I've made some proposals and gotten no bites.

What’s REALLY exciting is the the Governor has apparently changed his name from
Ron DuhSantis to Rondie Santis.

A man of the people.

As the nation dunks on Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis for not knowing how to pronounce his own last name, it may be distracting from more important things. To wit: Friday DeSantis signed into law a controversial bill that critics say is “ripe for abuse” by bad landlords.
The bill, HB 133, allows landlords in Florida to charge tenants a nonrefundable, limitless, recurring fee in lieu of a security deposit, or what's been dubbed “junk fees.”

Supporters of the bill — including corporate lobbying interests that stand to turn a profit from it — say it offers tenants an alternative to paying lump-sum security deposits that can often cost upward of one or maybe two months’ rent.

In Florida’s hot rental market, that could be thousands of dollars upfront.

Critics of the legislation have another word to describe the so-called security deposit alternative that the legislation permits, however: “predatory.”

I thought it was the opposite?

He was Rondie Santis, but his wife pressured him to change it to Rhonda Santis because she thought it sounded more elite.

I thought it was the opposite?

He was Rondie Santis, but his wife pressured him to change it to Rhonda Santis because she thought it sounded more elite.

I'm still going to refer to Rhonda Santos because I'm just difficult that way.
Tom

The Bexar County Sheriff’s Office didn’t say who it has accused of unlawful restraint in connection with last year’s flight to Martha’s Vineyard paid for by Florida. On Monday, California announced it’s investigating similar flights from El Paso to Sacramento.

Back
Top Bottom