• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Desantis Declares Himself Emperor Of Florida?

Invincibility is seen as strength by the rabid right, even (especially) when it’s invincible ignorance or stupidity.

A full-time substitute teacher was abruptly fired last week after Florida Governor Ron DeSantis complained about a video of empty bookshelves that the teacher posted to social media.

The teacher, Brian Covey, posted the video on Twitter three weeks earlier, on January 27. In an interview with Popular Information, Covey said administrators at Mandarin Middle School in Duval County were aware he posted the video, which attracted millions of views, but never indicated it was a problem. Covey had worked as a full-time substitute teacher since early October 2022. According to Covey, he had recently been praised in a staff meeting by the school principal for bringing order and stability to a previously unruly class of math students.

On February 14, a reporter asked DeSantis about images posted on social media of "bookshelves emptied" in Duval County. DeSantis responded that the video was a "fake narrative" and "not true." The next day, Covey tells Popular Information, he was fired in a 45-second phone call. In the brief call from the staffing agency that placed him in the position, Education Staffing Solutions (ESS), Covey was told that he violated the school's social media and cell phone policies and was the subject of several complaints.

His new law does not require him to step aside as governor while running for president.

The bill will place a real chill on academics in Florida state universities. My guess is that many of their leading professors i will leave for greener pastures. I think this outflow will be concentrated in the liberal arts and social sciences. The institutions will either have to try to raise compensation to get the better academics or slide down in overall quality.
I generally agree with you here and that should tell us all something about how politically left academics has become. In a better world I would think academics would be politically neutral.

For whatever its worth, right now, people are moving to Florida from the liberal states so they must like DeSantis a lot.
Many don't know anything about him.

They're also the intergalactic masters of American media.
Either DeSantis is incredibly stupid for tangling with Disney(which is quite possible) and really oughtn't have a driver's license. Or there's something going on behind the scenes that isn't being reported.
Tom
Bullies can't back down.
It's more like bullies sometimes don't know when to quit.

I just passed my 2 year anniversary at work, and there were two guys who got hired at the same time as I did. One was a bully. Constantly talked about guns and how many fights he almost got into. We called him "Billy Badass." He had an anger management problem and an outsized sense of his toughness. The other one was Jay. He worked in crisis for over 20 years. He looked a bit like Senator Fetterman. A big, imposing guy. He had a collection of photos of all the weapons he took from people while doing his old job. Incredibly nice man (I was in his wedding party) but gods help you if you tangled with him. He was an actual tough guy.

We were all waiting for the day Billy Badass got paired up with Jay and had to spend a shift stuck in a car together. It went about as well as we thought. Billy tried his tough guy routine, and realized pretty quickly that he was out of his depth. He was cowed. Maybe even a little bit scared.

Rhonda Santis doesn't seem to realize that he's run into the real tough guy.
A bully who publicly backs down has their power permanently weakened.

Disney sues DeSantis, alleging harm to its business | The Hill
“A targeted campaign of government retaliation—orchestrated at every step by Governor DeSantis as punishment for Disney’s protected speech—now threatens Disney’s business operations, jeopardizes its economic future in the region, and violates its constitutional rights,” the lawsuit states.

The lawsuit comes after the board that DeSantis appointed to oversee Disney voted Wednesday to void development contracts that Disney made.

Disney said in its complaint that the action from the board was the “latest strike” leading to the lawsuit.
Seems like Br'er Rabbit and the Tar Baby.

For someone who denies being a candidate, he doe seem to be in his state much. Now he is in Israel.

IMG_3314.jpeg

No more Democrats... so driving them out of the state with poor governance or the bang bang, imprisonment route?

Trump has been making a lot of progress in bringing down DeSantis's popularity among the Republican voting base, but the obsession with Disney seems to have dealt a near fatal blow to his chances. His poll numbers among Republican voters are now being compared to RFK Jr's numbers among Democrats--roughly 1 out of 5 supporters. He could surge back, if something happens to take Trump out of contention for the nomination, but that doesn't seem likely right now.

How bad is it for Ron DeSantis? He’s polling at RFK Jr.’s level

No more Democrats... so driving them out of the state with poor governance or the bang bang, imprisonment route?
I hope Disney World leaves nothing of use behind when they vacate.

I hope Disney World leaves nothing of use behind when they vacate.

I think that Jimmy is talking about Democrats, not Disney. And neither are going to leave Florida because of DeSantis. Some people will be attracted to go to Florida because of him, and some will leave because of him. But most will just ignore him as best they can. Disney will keep Florida tied up in court until DeSantis is long gone.

It is clear that the college administrators would rather see other people lose their jobs than sacrifice their own in the name of academic freedom. Republicans in Florida are making great progress in killing freedom of speech, not to mention democracy. The whole point of an authoritarian society is to get citizens to become their own thought police. Perhaps faculty should be made encouraged to confess their sins against the state in faculty meetings and be given an opportunity to correct their behavior. The Communists in the Soviet Union called it "samokritika".

Back
Top Bottom