• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

DeSantis Flies Immigrants to Martha Vineyard

Look at the above on Twitter.

Huh. I remember when I was a kid back in the '70's if you really wanted to insult a guy, you poked fun at his goofy shirt/shoes/shorts/<fill-in-the-blank> by saying something like, "That is totally not gay, dude.". Later, in these more enlightened times, I was told such banter was completely inappropriate and an insult to our fellow gay brothers and sisters. Did things change, and nobody told me?

Huh. I remember when I was a kid back in the '70's if you really wanted to insult a guy, you poked fun at his goofy shirt/shoes/shorts/<fill-in-the-blank> by saying something like, "That is totally not gay, dude.". Later, in these more enlightened times, I was told such banter was completely inappropriate and an insult to our fellow gay brothers and sisters. Did things change, and nobody told me?
Nope, you're just having difficulty understanding context and intent that's all.

Nope, you're just having difficulty understanding context and intent that's all.
Imagine that, a statement implying someone else is gay for wearing something being used as an insult, and not only that equivocating "goofy" with "gay"... And someone doesn't realize why this is inappropriate.

Nothing changed.

It was always inappropriate.

There just wasn't anyone previously aligned to reject such insults not just against the insulted but against the people who it is claimed it is insulting to even "be like" through the original implications.

To be fair, I have no clue myself on this.

Twitter preview has a tendency of cutting photos off. So, DeSantis is wearing rubber muck boots (steel toed?). What is the big deal here? He is walking in areas where those types of boots make sense.

Twitter preview has a tendency of cutting photos off. So, DeSantis is wearing rubber muck boots (steel toed?). What is the big deal here? He is walking in areas where those types of boots make sense.

Right. You can't get it unless you click on the photo and see the whole thing in Twitter. Then you need to know that DeSantis has been running a campaign portraying himself as a kind of super macho guy--sort of like Putin with his shirt off on horseback. But he is wearing these really sparkling white boots that make him look kind of like a go-go dancer in a gay bar. So social media wags have been trolling him with all sorts of photo-shopped versions of the photo and unkind comments. For example, the boots are compared to the ones worn by Nancy Sinatra when she sang "These Boots are Made for Walkin'". I think that thebeave was expecting everyone to be up on the latest social media gossip.

Late Night Rips Into Ron DeSantis for His ‘Go-Go’ Boots

DeSanitis probably regrets spending Florida money on that stunt now. He may want those immigrants back to help clean up after Ian.
He can't get those immigrants back because they weren't even from Florida in the first place.

Hundreds of thousands of illegals in Texas is not a sate of emergency.

A few thousand unplanned for illegals in NYC and it is a state of emergecy.

Texas and Florida has made itheir point with emphasis.

People turn their heads and passivley accept the border condition afraid of beeing seen as anti immigrant or racist as long as it is NIMBY, nt in my back yard.

Do ya think? Illegal immigration at the border is a financial drain.

NEW YORK -- New York City's mayor declared a state of emergency on Friday over the thousands of migrants being sent from southern border states since the spring, saying the demand being put on the city to provide housing and other assistance is “not sustainable."
“A city recovering from an ongoing global pandemic is being overwhelmed by a humanitarian crisis made by human hands," Mayor Eric Adams said. “We are at the edge of the precipice. ... We need help. And we need it now."
By the end of its fiscal year, Adams said the city expected to spend $1 billion helping the new arrivals, many of whom are heavily reliant on government aid because federal law prohibits them from working in the U.S.

Steve, please remember that not all of the "migrants" are in the US illegally. Part of the problem is a flood of asylum seekers, who have a legal right to be in the US while their cases are being processed. Also, bear in mind that the US labor market desperately needs those immigrants to meet a labor shortage. Unfortunately, we have no guest worker program to mitigate the problem, largely because of Republican opposition to any solution that does not involve driving immigrants away from the US with cruel treatment. Many "real Americans" actually descend from people who came to the US for precisely the same reasons--to escape poverty and danger in their home countries. Immigration has been the lifeblood of the US for its entire history.

The way current immigration law is written and interested anybody can make a claim for sanctuary. Many are allowed to saty pending a hearing. Legal or illegal in this case is irrelevant. Get across the bbrder and yiu have a chance to at least geta hearing, whuch may be mints or years away. That is what fuels the massive migration and the problems that go with it.

We are not equiped in Texas or NYC or anywhere to fund support for so many people. They become wards of the state.

A Venezuelan woman who had been shipped to to NYC was interview. She appears to have some education and spoke clear Enflish. She complained she had nothing but the clothes on her back and what was going to be done about it.

What should she have expected.

Would you welcome thousands of ilagls in yiur area or are you NIMBY? That's what it comes down to.

My backyard could actually use the help. :) Like I said, we actually need the immigrants. And you are just doubling down on the false claim that most immigrants are here illegally. Only about a quarter of them are technically illegal, but that still means millions. The vast majority work and pay taxes, even the illegals. They tend to be less prone to committing crimes, because they don't want to be taken into custody and deported. Most do not qualify for government programs and a great many have contacts and family who can help them to survive in the US. So they don't really become "wards of the state" as you put it, but the government really ought to be more proactive about caring for them and their children. In the long run, helping them with basic needs, training, and education would more than pay for itself, since we need more young employed people to help with our labor shortage. And we definitely don't want to deprive their children of education and health care, because that does come back to bite us in the ass over time.

The border is a hrendous mess that has devoped over decades and adminstraions.

We need immigrants, but not uneducated mothers wit children, to be blunt. Boeing is looking for workes from the bottom up.

oT get into a mufacturing apprentice program you have to be able to read, write, and speak English. You need high school math skills. There are only so many jobs flipping burgers.

The left puts on its ideological blinders and refuses to acknowledge the border mess. In an interview VP Harris said the border is secure, no problems.

We need a sensible immigration program, Canada is a good model.

I just saw a story on CNN about a lot of migrants that have come to Florida to aid in the cleanup after the hurricane. I bet that chaps DeSatan's ass.

In the thread: people expressing that it's funny when folks fleeing a shitty place find it difficult to improve their situation even when they escape it.

In the thread: people expressing that it's funny when folks fleeing a shitty place find it difficult to improve their situation even when they escape it.
It is funny when “sanctuary” cities and open border twits whine when finally faced with the consequences of their policies. Especially, “We did not ask for this.” Like Texas and Arizona did?

Back
Top Bottom