• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

DeSantis Flies Immigrants to Martha Vineyard

I would also like to see the Pelosi quotes (in context).
How about a completely doctored video of Pelosi answering questions?

You know, for someone who keeps on claiming to not being a Q-tard, Jason does parrot MAGA points verbatim.

She was obviously quoting the farmers in FL who were saying those things. That's quite a flimsy stretch for someone to think she was expressing her own opinion in that instance. The whole point was that immigrants are needed in our country.

This whole situation has been one more piece of evidence, if it were needed, that progressives are the only wing of this country capable of actually solving practical challenges in real time, while the new "conservative" (read: race nationalist) faction brings nothing but childish whinging and stunts for the news cameras. Everyone else not in one of those factions sits around dumbly "reacting" to everything and maybe providing the very necessary financial capital to keep one side or the other in play. It's a microcosm of American politics in 2022.

This whole situation has been one more piece of evidence, if it were needed, that progressives are the only wing of this country capable of actually solving practical challenges in real time
Good to know. Be nice if they started doing that.

Wiki Article#1:
Quentin Northrup Burdick (June 19, 1908 – September 8, 1992) was an American lawyer and politician. A member of the North Dakota Democratic-NPL Party, he represented North Dakota in the U.S. House of Representatives (1959–1960) and the U.S. Senate (1960–1992). At the time of his death, he was the third longest-serving senator (after Strom Thurmond and Robert Byrd) among current members of the Senate.[1]

Wiki Article#2:
The Disaster Relief Act of 1974 (Public Law 93-288) was passed into law by the then President Richard Nixon as a United States federal law that established the process of presidential disaster declarations.[1] The bill was introduced by Senator Quentin Burdick on February 26, 1974.[2]

... At one point, more than one hundred federal agencies were involved in handling disasters and emergencies....

In 1979, President Jimmy Carter consolidated many of them into the new Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) by Executive Order 12127.

Now since that time, conservatives have been screaming about FEMA camp conspiracy theories whenever a Democrat is President. Of interest, is that often the far right creates these conspiracies and they will even pass to the far left. Conservolibertarian Paul Craig Roberts is a good example since he creates these conspiracies and then passes them off to far left media as much as right-wing and libertarian. The latest thing they were screaming about was CDC covid FEMA camps.

Fast forward to today's culture in Florida. Conservatives screaming about trans people, masks as sex toys, critical race theory, and banning books from school libraries. And now immigrants.

Immigrants is a single word, but there are tons of policy questions, history, and culture to get into. Right now, someone put on the table a challenge, essentially this: "oh yeah, show me what progressives have done!111one!111"

What I am saying is that the Republican Party of Florida has been caught with their pants down when the hurricane came. They've focused so much on this identity politics crap and conspiracies that they aren't governing well.

How much did this cost to sit around scheming, strategizing, and making new draconian laws and policies about immigrants? Do you know how much money these politicians and consultants make? How much time did they spend? What about with all the other identity politics crap?

At least 100 people died from hurricane Ian in Florida. Tens of billions of $ in damage. The working poor who have little or no insurance or will get scammed by crooked deals from their insurance companies are the same people that the conservative elites target to say, "hey look over there. Immigrants! They're the enemy."

It only cost DeSantis $615,000 for air flights to transport 50 migrants from Texas to Martha's Vineyard. They explicitly put in the budget $12 million for the 2022-23 year for the purpose of transporting migrants out of Florida. Not Texas.

Again, this ignores the soft cost of all the people managing the policy but also the support and infrastructure for these moves. Moreover, it ignores the losses incurred by focusing on this issue in ridiculous ways relative to more important things Florida needs to care about like keeping citizens safe from actual Florida threats.

Nancy Pelosi has said that immigrants need to stay far away from the elite communities of her (white) donors and go work in the fields (like brown people are supposed to do). She loves immigrants when they are far away from her.
Jill Biden thinks I'm a breakfast taco.
No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA
The word "know" has one silent k.
The word "knuckle" has two silent k's.
The word "Democrat" has three silent k's.

Mr. Harvestdancer is very consistent. If someone, say George, from the rational side of the aisle says "It may rain tomorrow," Jason will automatically write "George said there was a hurricane." I've no idea what he hopes to accomplish. Even Hannity, T**** et al don't go quite that far.

I suppose what he MIGHT mean is "George thinks there might be a hurricane tomorrow," but he vomits out an exaggerated version of the mistruth to get our attention. And indeed he succeeds at attracting attention as shown by posts from Jarhyn, myself and others.
Congrats to Jason, I guess.

Jason, your track record on interpretation is not good, to say the least. Perhaps you would be better served by posting what she actually said, and your basis for believing what she said may be interpreted that way.

My guess is that you have no such basis.

This whole situation has been one more piece of evidence, if it were needed, that progressives are the only wing of this country capable of actually solving practical challenges in real time
Good to know. Be nice if they started doing that.
Be nice if Republicans in Congress would get out of the way and let us...

If the democrats do not do something about the southern border they may be handing the election to Trump or a surrogate.

It is no longer just the conservatives,

If the democrats do not do something about the southern border they may be handing the election to Trump or a surrogate.

But there is no evidence that the border issue is having any impact at all on political races. The only real effect is that it fires up the right wing political base. The issues that seem to be having the largest impact are soaring inflation (Republicans win) and criminalized abortion (Democrats win). Democrats are running hard against Donald Trump, but, again, that isn't an issue that brings in new votes. It just fires up their base.

See:

‘Republicans win on pocketbook issues’: DeSantis’ migrant flights aren’t rousing voters nationally

We should immediately being legisltation on workable labor visas!

It seems that Republicans will block any solution that does not involve scaring away asylum seekers and those entering illegally. The only way to do that effectively is to engage in cruel and inhumane treatment of those people. Maybe they should hang a few of them from the Statue of Liberty.

It seems that Republicans will block any solution that does not involve scaring away asylum seekers and those entering illegally. The only way to do that effectively is to engage in cruel and inhumane treatment of those people. Maybe they should hang a few of them from the Statue of Liberty.
When the gov of Ca went on TV and said Ca welcomes illegals we should not be surprised when hundreds of thousands apear at the border.

It is known around the world how easy it is to get across the border, and people from around the world are now showing up.

The asylum law was about individuals being persecuted. It gets around, all you have to is say you are afraid or are fleeing violence to get a hearing.

The mass migration s not really about political asylum.

The border needs to be shut so t becomes known you can't just walk across the border and get in.

How exactly are we supposed to absorb all these people. We already have many American born citizens undeserved with education, jobs, housing, and medical care.

When the gov of Ca went on TV and said Ca welcomes illegals we should not be surprised when hundreds of thousands apear at the border.

It is known around the world how easy it is to get across the border, and people from around the world are now showing up.
You do realize that the trip to the border isn't easy, right?
The mass migration s not really about political asylum.
...or protection from the drug cartels that America's dependence on illicit drugs keep in business.
The border needs to be shut so t becomes known you can't just walk across the border and get in.
Again... need to get to the border before crossing. Also, if crossing is so easy, how do you "shut it"?
How exactly are we supposed to absorb all these people. We already have many American born citizens under-served with education, jobs, housing, and medical care.
Generally they get jobs. They don't go to America to live on nothing.

There is no lack of moral ambiguity on our part.

Until it became excessive no one cared about illegal because business and individuals wanted cheap labor. That goes back to te early 1900s as far as I can tell.

I doubt they genrally get jobs. All employers are now required to check for citizenship or a green card. If they do get a job it is under the table and its back to exploitation.

If tey do find a job they are stuck with little hope of anything more. We are creating anew permanent underclass.

NYC declred a crisi over a few thoud illegals. There are millions out in the country. They will never learn Englih. In Seattle a scmctuary city during the pandemic Latino s were hit harder. It turned out a large number of Latinos could not undetns radio and TV reports or read materials on COVID.

About 5 years I was walking down the street and passed a group of Latinos. Men, women and children. They had some shelves on the street and were cokking on grills. There were tents on the corner.

If they get sick or injured by law energency rooms have to tret them. There has been a long runnig compaint by hospitals they do not have the money to handle the load.

Progressives are social ideologues who refuse to see the true cost of border mess.

To te OP. The fed dups illegals on Texas streets without any funding or lng term services, in turn Texas duns illgals on the streets of other states.

The initial response from NYC was the illegals were given services and kids were being enrolled in school. Now NYC is declaring a crisis saying they do not have the money or capacity.

Exactly what Texas has been saying for a long time. Plus complaints of border residents of illegals and who knows what crossing their property.

Last edited:
https://news.yahoo.com/migrants-leading-clean-efforts-florida-180221189.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

Three days after Hurricane Ian made landfall in Florida on Sept. 28 as a Category 4 storm, Johnny Aburto arrived in Port Charlotte, a mostly white community of 64,000, popular with retirees, on the state’s southwestern coast. The town suffered extensive damage during the storm: roofs blown off, homes flooded, power lines downed. There is a lot of work to be done.

Aburto, 42, is here to do it. Originally from Nicaragua, he is part of a large, informal, overwhelmingly immigrant workforce that travels the U.S. cleaning up after increasingly frequent climate-related disasters. Once a hurricane hits, these crews are bussed in by contractors desperate for workers, or they drive to the area themselves and wait in Walmart or Home Depot parking lots to be picked up for a day’s work. Aburto, a skilled laborer, was in New Orleans after Katrina in 2005, Baton Rouge after Louisiana’s floods in 2016, Panama City Beach after Michael in 2018, and Lake Charles after Laura in 2020. “These kinds of events really affect people,” he says. “We do our bit to help them.”

In Port Charlotte, Aburto is now busy covering roofs with tarpaulins—a crucial first step to keep homes safe from future rain, so that power can be restored and residents can come back. He’s also cleaning out soaked debris from interiors. When that kind of work is done, he says, many of his colleagues will stay on to make more permanent repairs.

Castellanos says he hopes the governor will offer migrants a similar break from hostilities. We aren’t in the U.S. to do bad things. We are not against him. We’re here to help him—to rebuild the cities of his state,” he says. “It is very important to us to help. But it is also very important to be respected.”
Some of these workers are here legally, but many are undocumented. This organization was founded in 2015, with the purpose of helping clean up cities impacted by storms. There aren't enough American workers willing to do this work. Of course, I believe these workers should be well paid an appreciated for their work. And, why on earth wouldn't we want workers like this to be part of our country? Nobody is saying that everyone who comes across the border should be immediately given legal status, but we are in desperate need of workers in many areas, and welcoming folks like this group in, is a win for all of us.

As far as speaking English goes, it's up to the individual. My husband grew up in Miami during the years when Cubans were welcomed with open arms. Many of them never tried to learn to speak English, while others did. The former owners of a local Mexican restaurant in my town told us that they learned English by watching American Tv. I have met an undocumented couple that didn't speak English, but we used our phones to understand each other, since my Spanish sucks.

Given the opportunity, I'm sure they would have been willing to try to learn English, but then again, what's wrong with having a country where some people speak different languages, as long as most understand English. When I was living in Texas, nurses needed to be able to have a basic understanding of Spanish if they wanted to do a good job, since there are or were a lot of Spanish speaking immigrants in San Antonio at the time. I grew up in a neighborhood in NJ where some of the older Italian immigrants couldn't speak much English at all. The hate and xenophobia are certainly not beneficial to a country that historically has welcomed immigrants. The process that permits people to come here needs to be made easier, but both parties need to work together to achieve that goal. That's not going to happen as long as the party of Trump acts with such hatred and prejudice.

They're mad at china for taking Jobs overseas due to cheap labor and they are mad at immigrants for trying to bring cheap labor to the US.

There is no lack of moral ambiguity on our part.

Until it became excessive no one cared about illegal because business and individuals wanted cheap labor. That goes back to te early 1900s as far as I can tell.

I doubt they genrally get jobs. All employers are now required to check for citizenship or a green card. If they do get a job it is under the table and its back to exploitation.

If tey do find a job they are stuck with little hope of anything more. We are creating anew permanent underclass.

NYC declred a crisi over a few thoud illegals. There are millions out in the country. They will never learn Englih. In Seattle a scmctuary city during the pandemic Latino s were hit harder. It turned out a large number of Latinos could not undetns radio and TV reports or read materials on COVID.

About 5 years I was walking down the street and passed a group of Latinos. Men, women and children. They had some shelves on the street and were cokking on grills. There were tents on the corner.

If they get sick or injured by law energency rooms have to tret them. There has been a long runnig compaint by hospitals they do not have the money to handle the load.

Progressives are social ideologues who refuse to see the true cost of border mess.

To te OP. The fed dups illegals on Texas streets without any funding or lng term services, in turn Texas duns illgals on the streets of other states.

The initial response from NYC was the illegals were given services and kids were being enrolled in school. Now NYC is declaring a crisis saying they do not have the money or capacity.

Exactly what Texas has been saying for a long time. Plus complaints of border residents of illegals and who knows what crossing their property.
Yes, NYC is saying it does not have the resource to deal with the continuing influx. However, NYC is not shipping these people off or clamoring to build walls to deny entry into the USA. It is not exactly what Texas has been saying.

Back
Top Bottom