• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Detroit killer convicted

What a sad world we live in where the life of a person is counted as less than the value of a screen door.

She wasn't killed to punish her for the monetary damage to the screen door. That is a cheap straw man. But her damaging the screen door (and her own hands) proves that she was doing far more than knocking (even forcefully) on the door to seek help.

Either you're being willfully obtuse or you've never been drunk before.

Yeah, she was drunk. It's probably why she fled the accident. Between Detroit being a scary place at night, and being vulnerable in a few ways, I'd have run the fuck away too. When you're drunk you make bad decisions. Yes, she damaged his door by knocking on it like a drunken, panicky, mood swinging idiot.

That doesn't justify opening his door and shooting her. He was not under threat of bodily harm given a door between him and her.

What I find odd is that the jury needed to deliberate into a second day to find him guilty. You'd figure they'd only have needed about five minutes.

Either you're being willfully obtuse or you've never been drunk before.
I must admit I've never been quite that drunk. Also I never drove or banged on stranger's doors while drunk either.

Yeah, she was drunk. It's probably why she fled the accident. Between Detroit being a scary place at night, and being vulnerable in a few ways, I'd have run the fuck away too.
Neighbors already came out to render aid. An ambulance was on the way. But of course, so was the police and she was guilty of a DUI accident.

When you're drunk you make bad decisions. Yes, she damaged his door by knocking on it like a drunken, panicky, mood swinging idiot.
And I hope you can imagine how somebody like that can be reasonably perceived as threatening.

That doesn't justify opening his door and shooting her. He was not under threat of bodily harm given a door between him and her.
She already damaged the screen door. And I do not mean the screen but the actual frame. How long should he have allowed her to bang away exactly?

Wrong decision. The young woman had 0.22% BAC and was high as well.

And yet, if I accuse you of saying that means she deserved to die you'll act like I'm just making shit up.

Well if you only quote the first sentence of the explanation why the verdict was wrong I must in turn accuse you of quoting me out of context.

The fact is that her extreme drunkenness contributed to her aggressive and violent behavior, and it's her behavior that led to her death.
Furthermore, I have yet to see a credible explanation of where she was and what she was doing for 3 hours.

I must admit I've never been quite that drunk. Also I never drove or banged on stranger's doors while drunk either.
I don't recommend it, but many, many people have. And this is why if asked, I probably would not have pressed charges of the young man who I struggled with in my parlor once the news came out that he was in fact very high.

Yeah, she was drunk. It's probably why she fled the accident. Between Detroit being a scary place at night, and being vulnerable in a few ways, I'd have run the fuck away too.
Neighbors already came out to render aid. An ambulance was on the way. But of course, so was the police and she was guilty of a DUI accident.

When you're drunk you make bad decisions. Yes, she damaged his door by knocking on it like a drunken, panicky, mood swinging idiot.
And I hope you can imagine how somebody like that can be reasonably perceived as threatening.
Technically anything can be threatening, but it sounds that he didn't attempt to find out what was going on. The world can be scary but 99.99% of the time the fear disappears once the situation is understood.

"Who's out there?"
"I'm _______. My car broke down and I need help."

Now he could be a jerk and tell her to go away, call the cops and have her arrested, call her friend to come pick her up, etc.

I agree with the jury's verdict.

She already damaged the screen door. And I do not mean the screen but the actual frame. How long should he have allowed her to bang away exactly?
Wow, just wow! A screen door? Funny that you place the value on the screen door over the body of Renisha McBride and the ruined life of Theodore Wafer.

Furthermore, I have yet to see a credible explanation of where she was and what she was doing for 3 hours.

Lurching from sidewalk to sidewalk with a BAC of over 0.22 is the obvious answer. Possibly combined with a severe concussion. I have done this. It seems quite reasonable at the time.

What a sad world we live in where the life of a person is counted as less than the value of a screen door.

She wasn't killed to punish her for the monetary damage to the screen door. That is a cheap straw man. But her damaging the screen door (and her own hands) proves that she was doing far more than knocking (even forcefully) on the door to seek help.

How much more is possible? What constitutes "far more"?

You made your own strawman, here. She's standing in the dark and knocks on a door with enough force to be heard. This will be enough to damage a screen door and possible cause abrasions on the knuckles. Neither indicate an intention to batter down the door with her bare hands.

"Who's out there?"
"I'm _______. My car broke down and I need help."

The answer might even be "'Nesha car mmmfffpt mgrrglederp."
and he can reply,
"I've called the cops!"
and she lurches away.

And yet, if I accuse you of saying that means she deserved to die you'll act like I'm just making shit up.

Well if you only quote the first sentence of the explanation why the verdict was wrong I must in turn accuse you of quoting me out of context.

The fact is that her extreme drunkenness contributed to her aggressive and violent behavior, and it's her behavior that led to her death.

No, Derec, the fact is there was no violent behavior at all on her part and you're claiming that because she was drunk and damaged a screen door she deserved to die. You seem to be smart enough that if we phrase it directly like that, saying "So she deserved to die because she was drunk" that that's a bad thing. You're (just barely) able to grasp that that's wrong, but your grasp of what the phrase actually means must be tenuous because you keep on insisting murder victims deserved to die because they were drunk. It's a pattern with you.

You're also went on some weird tangent about how the judge withheld evidence about her "thugishness." It's unclear what thugishness is exactly, beyond an attribute you're quick to assign to dead black people to further justify their deaths.

Oh, and you're still ridiculing Trayvon Martin's name, as if that had something to do with this, which is reminiscent of the time you thought it would be funny to ridicule the name of a rape victim who had committed suicide. So ridiculing the names of murder and rape victims, that's another pattern with you.

You know these threads are about you, right? That is what the rest of us are seeing with your attempts to justify this murder.

Derec, I've been in a similar situation myself. I was sharing a shitty apartment with another tennent, and he had a drinking problem. He would bang on my door and even steal things in an attempt to get me to hang out with him at 2:00 am. Ht was threatening and scary. But by not opening the door, I was able to avoid opening the door and running him through. Once I did open the door, and threatened him to get my stuff he had taken, and that if he accosted me on my way to the loo, I'd defend myself.

Even when a guy tried to steal my bike earlier this month, the threat of being struck with a steel bike shackle backed the guy off.

If you are going to own a firearm, your first responsibility is to understand escalation of force. Communicate,FIRST, then threaten, and only when the threat is imminent do shots get fired, and a warning shot first if possible.

OH NO! SHE'S BATTERING DOWN THE SCREEN DOOR! WHAT COULD I EVER DO AGAINST SUCH RAW, AWESOME STRENGTH? THANK GOD I HAD MY GUN!

This man is a fucking coward. And this is what I hate about our gun lobby society; it empowers miserable, despicable cowards with the power to kill anyone who frightens them. I've encountered hundreds of drunk women in my life, and have never, ever, felt the least bit frightened by one (at least not when they were on foot)

And guess what they find most frightening. Go on, guess.

It literally doesn't matter where she was or what she had been doing for the previous 3 hours, days, years or decades. According to the killer's own words, he did not take any time at all to assess the knocker's gender, race, sobriety, level of armaments or reason why there was knocking. Like you and me, the killer had no clue about anything except someone was knocking loudly on his door.

It literally doesn't matter where she was or what she had been doing for the previous 3 hours, days, years or decades.
Hey, the fact that he had no way of knowing that she meant to rob him or rape him or sell him tickets to a Lady Gaga concert is immaterial. What's important is convincing the jury that she might have meant him harm, thus justifying his exaggerated fears of harm, thus justifying his actions to prevent the, at this point, imaginary harm.

It literally doesn't matter where she was or what she had been doing for the previous 3 hours, days, years or decades. According to the killer's own words, he did not take any time at all to assess the knocker's gender, race, sobriety, level of armaments or reason why there was knocking. Like you and me, the killer had no clue about anything except someone was knocking loudly on his door.

I think the deciding factor in this case was the fact it did not happen in Florida.

Wrong. A portion of West Warren St. forms part of the boundary between Dearborn Heights and Detroit. They are adjacent to each other. River Ridge Park, which is just within Detoit city limits is only 1/4 mile from the house.

Jeez Derek. You seem to think that every square inch of Detroit is a crime ridden festering cesspool. I've been a Michigander all my life and been to Detroit and surrounding areas many times. The Henry Ford museum and Greenfield Village are also close to this location. Never even thought of feeling unsafe there. Been to both the old Tiger stadium and the new Comerica Park. Never felt unsafe. Grosse Pointe is also right next to Detroit. The private mansions would rival the areas of LA where the entertainment industry makes their homes.

The proximity of where this happened to Detroit is just a strawman generated by your own pathological fears of women and blacks.

Wrong decision. The young woman had 0.22% BAC and was high as well. In addition she banged so hard against his door that she incurred injury to her hands in the process. That shows she didn't merely knock to ask for help. The "she merely asked for help" canard is further implausible because of the 3 hour gap between her accident and her death. Prosecution didn't even offer an explanation to what she was doing during this time.

And last but not least Detroit is one of the most dangerous cities in the US. Yet now this poor man is convicted for murder merely for defending his home. I hope he appeals and prevails. The judge excluded evidence from Renisha's cell phone that show her thuggishness and is reminiscent of similar evidence in the Tray-Von case.

Thuggishness? .
. Code word for black

Does anyone here actually believe that this cowardly killer shot the woman's face off so fast he never noticed she was black? Because I sure as hell don't believe him on that (& suspect the jury didn't either).

But whichever way you look at it... that he didn't take even a second to see who his was shooting pint blank in the face (much less properly assess the situation before killing a human being) or he did notice the color of her skin and that's why he shot her.... He is a killer and a guilty verdict was the only possible rational outcome.

Back
Top Bottom