• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Dictatorship is neither left nor right

These people also can't seem to understand what a terribly corrupted democracy exists in the US.

Any democracy that can't create a universal health system in today's world is a failed democracy.

So give me an example from a democracy that isn't terribly corrupted, some other democracy. It doesn't have to be an example from the United States.

There is no point.

The question is something a three year old would ask.

You made some worthless claims about some tyranny of some imaginary majority that voted on something and were shown what stupidity it is.

Not letting black people vote is not democracy.

Not having a universal health system in 2019 shows you have a dysfunctional democracy.

Address these points and possibly I will teach you more.

These people also can't seem to understand what a terribly corrupted democracy exists in the US.

Any democracy that can't create a universal health system in today's world is a failed democracy.

So give me an example from a democracy that isn't terribly corrupted, some other democracy. It doesn't have to be an example from the United States.

There is no point.

There is no point in asking a question you refuse to answer?

Not letting black people vote is not democracy.

Not having a universal health system in 2019 shows you have a dysfunctional democracy.

Irrelevant, I'm asking you about a country you consider to be a democracy, not one you don't consider to be a democracy.

Address these points and possibly I will teach you more.

You can teach me by answering one question: give me one example of a democracy - not the United States - that you consider to be a good functional democracy in which the people have voted for something you don't approve of. If you can do that I can get a better understanding of your concept of democracy.

The people voted for some thing?

A national referendum? Where everybody voted and the majority decided something?

Can't think of one.

You've got your answer.

And since all you have is one question and some nonsense about an imaginary tyranny of some majority we are done.

A national referendum? Where everybody voted and the majority decided something?

Can't think of one.

You've got your answer.

And since all you have is one question and some nonsense about an imaginary tyranny of some majority we are done.

So you have no examples in all of human history of a system that you think is democratic that did something you disapprove of. That says a lot. Your approval of the results is an integral part of your definition of democracy, which means you want veto power like any old dictator. Otherwise if you don't have veto power it isn't a democracy.

You keep changing your question after it has been answered.

Tedious stupidity.

You have never shown any tyranny of any democratic majority.

You have shown what might happen in a society that doesn't allow black people to vote but that is miles from a functioning democracy.

Having others point out your proposition cannot be falsified because anything you don't like is therefore not democracy, that is good. Having YOU point out that if you don't like it then it's not democracy, that's priceless. Thank you for admitting nothing you write can be tested and that your religious beliefs can never be falsified.

Having others point out your proposition cannot be falsified because anything you don't like is therefore not democracy, that is good. Having YOU point out that if you don't like it then it's not democracy, that's priceless. Thank you for admitting nothing you write can be tested and that your religious beliefs can never be falsified.

How exactly is a place where black people can't vote a democratic place?

It is an anti-democratic place.

Democracy is letting everybody vote.

Can't think of one.

You've got your answer.

Last I checked we don't have national referendums in the US.

There are state referendums though. Even some where black people and women can vote.

In California, for example, they have had passing referendums that banned gay marriage, capped property taxes, and cut off benefits to illegal immigrants.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_California_Proposition_8
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1978_California_Proposition_13
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_California_Proposition_187

I assume when you see these you get warm fuzzy feeling about the awesomeness of Democracy-that-can-do-no-wrong?

Can't think of one.

You've got your answer.

So how do Americans as a whole vote on a "thing"?

They just vote on people in a corrupted system.

The US is a dysfunctional democracy.

The lack of a universal health insurance system and crumbling infrastructure and skyrocketing costs for college prove it.

In a functioning democracy the needs of the people would have expression.

What percentage of Californians voted on those things?

Was it truly an expression of the majority? Was the process polluted by wealth?

Has a corrupted US system turned many off from even caring?

Dysfunctional democracy.

What I support is something different.

It is something where people see their votes turn into action and they want to vote and the process cannot be corrupted by wealth. The system is specifically designed to not be polluted by wealth.

Can't think of one.

You've got your answer.

So how do Americans as a whole vote on a "thing"?

They don't. They elect representatives. Your 3rd grade social studies teacher should have explained this.

What percentage of Californians voted on those things?

Was it truly an expression of the majority? Was the process polluted by wealth?

Well, it was a majority of people who chose to vote certainly. The results were in the links.

How would you determine if the "process was polluted by wealth"?

I mean other than the "untermensche didn't like it so it must not have been democracy" test.

Well, it was a majority of people who chose to vote certainly. The results were in the links.

I mean other than the "untermensche didn't like it so it must not have been democracy" test.

You determine any system where the more money you have the more substantial your voice and the more crafted and often heard is your message to be polluted by wealth.

Money should have no part. Elections should be about the best ideas not the most money.

And if everybody does not vote you cannot say it is the will of the majority.

Basically when a system is so bad 40-50% don't vote that in itself tells you the system is very messed up.

When studies show that the government is only responsive to wealth and does not respond to the needs of the people this explains it.

You determine any system where the more money you have the more substantial your voice and the more crafted and often heard is your message to be polluted by wealth.

Money should have no part. Elections should be about the best ideas not the most money.

And if everybody does not vote you cannot say it is the will of the majority.

Basically when a system is so bad 40-50% don't vote that in itself tells you the system is very messed up.

When studies show that the government is only responsive to wealth and does not respond to the needs of the people this explains it.

So, why do you think money was for banning gay marriage? I seem to recall black people disproportionately supported the ban. Is it because they have so much money?

So, why do you think money was for banning gay marriage? I seem to recall black people disproportionately supported the ban. Is it because they have so much money?

You keep choosing these issues that are actually on the wrong side of history.

You carefully choose times right before something becomes recognized to say there is a problem.

Right before we have the Civil Rights Act of 1964 we have a lot of bad things that led to it.

The gay marriage ban was overturned as unconstitutional.

Constitutional protections, and they are necessary in a democracy, won the day.

US Democracy is on the right side of both these issues.

You carefully choose times right before something becomes recognized to say there is a problem.

Right before we have the Civil Rights Act of 1964 we have a lot of bad things that led to it.

So if, a) banning gay marriage is on the wrong side of history and b) banning gay marriage was approved in a free and fair statewide referendum, and c) women and black people were allowed to vote in the referendum (and indeed the measure only passed due to strong Black and Latino support); and d) we have no evidence big money had anything to do with it (indeed the wikipedia page suggests more money was spent by people opposing the ban) what are we left to conclude?

That Democracy was on the wrong side of history?

So if, a) banning gay marriage is on the wrong side of history and b) banning gay marriage was approved in a free and fair statewide referendum, and c) women and black people were allowed to vote in the referendum (and indeed the measure only passed due to strong Black and Latino support); and d) we have no evidence big money had anything to do with it (indeed the wikipedia page suggests more money was spent by people opposing the ban) what are we left to conclude?

You pick issues that existed because of centuries of bad indoctrination that despite the odds democracy made better.

Do you have an issue democracy made worse?

You pick issues that existed because of centuries of bad indoctrination that despite the odds democracy made better.

Well isn't this one? Democracy voted for the ban and unelected judges were on the right side of history.

Well isn't this one? Democracy voted for the ban and unelected judges were on the right side of history.

The Constitution was a protection. Judges could be elected if we wanted that. And some are.

It is stipulated that constitutional protections are necessary for a democracy to function.

Everybody must have the same rights and activities that infringe on rights must be prohibited. That requires a constitution. I like them. The initial Amendments were a great idea in US history. They did not go far enough and end slavery and that meant a war was required.

The Constitution was a protection. Judges could be elected if we wanted that. And some are.

It is stipulated that constitutional protections are necessary for a democracy to function.

Everybody must have the same rights and activities that infringe on rights must be prohibited. That requires a constitution. I like them. The initial Amendments were a great idea in US history.

It's "democratic" when the Constitution that was written by wealthy slave holders who didn't allow women and Black people to vote is loosely interpreted by unelected judges to undo a referendum of the people in which women and black people actually voted?

Everybody must have the same rights and activities that infringe on rights must be prohibited. That requires a constitution. I like them. The initial Amendments were a great idea in US history.

It's "democratic" when the Constitution that was written by wealthy slave holders who didn't allow women and Black people to vote is loosely interpreted by unelected judges to undo a referendum of the people in which women and black people actually voted?

It's democratic when there is a separation from the church.

It is moving towards democracy when people with power are elected. When everybody is allowed to vote and the pollution of money is removed it might be a good democracy.

It is good when people have the freedom of speech and assembly. It is good when people have freedoms from unreasonable searches.

It was a good start ironically done by slave holding men that thought women were inferior.

The European Enlightenment had a lot to do with it.

It's democratic when there is a separation from the church.

It is moving towards democracy when people with power are elected. When everybody is allowed to vote and the pollution of money is removed it might be a good democracy.

It is good when people have the freedom of speech and assembly. It is good when people have freedoms from unreasonable searches.

It was a good start ironically done by slave holding men that thought women were inferior.

The European Enlightenment had a lot to do with it.

So you can't have democracy where the people who vote go to church?

The list of things that make things not democracy grows...

Back
Top Bottom