• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Dictatorship is neither left nor right

OK, so what are some outcomes democracy has produced that you really, really don't like.

Democracy is a way to move away from bad outcomes.

It stands opposed to what came before it. Dictatorship.

But people must be educated to understand that it is far more than just voting for the corporate candidates chosen by the oligarchy.

That’s not what I asked. I asked what are some bad things a democracy has done.

What are the top 5 worst things ever done by a democracy?

Electing Hitler? Electing Hugo Chavez? Roosevelt interring the Japanese? Truman nuking the Japanese? The Bay of Pigs? President Ronald Reagan?

The people not being smart enough to stop voting for corporate candidates chosen by the oligarchy?

OK, so what are some outcomes democracy has produced that you really, really don't like.

Democracy is a way to move away from bad outcomes.

It stands opposed to what came before it. Dictatorship.

But people must be educated to understand that it is far more than just voting for the corporate candidates chosen by the oligarchy.

Electing Hitler? Electing Hugo Chavez? Roosevelt interring the Japanese? Truman nuking the Japanese? The Bay of Pigs? President Ronald Reagan?

The people not being smart enough to stop voting for corporate candidates chosen by the oligarchy?

People do bad things.

In dictatorial systems of power the dictators abuse workers and exploit workers and steal from workers.

In democratic systems this is much less likely.

And the sad truth is people never question a system of control as long as they doing the controlling, or imagine they will be the one doing the controlling.

Slave owners and the people profiting off the torture of humans didn't question the morality of what they were doing because they were born into that system. They imagined themselves to be fine Christians waiting to go to Heaven.

Blindness to the immorality one is born within is a common human trait.

I see it here every day.

People do bad things.

In dictatorial systems of power the dictators abuse workers and exploit workers and steal from workers.

In democratic systems this is much less likely.

And the sad truth is people never question a system of control as long as they doing the controlling, or imagine they will be the one doing the controlling.

Slave owners and the people profiting off the torture of humans didn't question the morality of what they were doing because they were born into that system. They imagined themselves to be fine Christians waiting to go to Heaven.

Blindness to the immorality one is born within is a common human trait.

I see it here every day.

So, just to confirm: you can't point out one bad thing that was ever done by a democracy?

People do things.

And a democracy is not a magic force that prevents people from doing bad things.

It is just the only legitimate form of power that exists.

People that bad mouth democracy have no conception of legitimate power.

People do things.

And a democracy is not a magic force that prevents people from doing bad things.

It is just the only legitimate form of power that exists.

People that bad mouth democracy have no conception of legitimate power.

Either you can cite something bad democracy did or you can't.

I think I've asked 4 or 5 times now and it looks like: you can't.

Democracy doesn't do things.

People do things.

And when power is limited by a well functioning democracy with Constitutional protections people are less able to do bad things.

And democracy is the only legitimate form of human arrangement.

People do things.

And when power is limited by a well functioning democracy with Constitutional protections people are less able to do bad things.

OK, it's officially "can't". Thanks for wasting everyone's time.

People do things.

That's the theory, we want an example of a system you consider sufficiently democratic that has voted in a way you don't approve of.

People do things.

OK, it's officially "can't". Thanks for wasting everyone's time.

Trying to teach full grown people who think democracy is merely voting is usually a waste of time.

People do things.

That's the theory, we want an example of a system you consider sufficiently democratic that has voted in a way you don't approve of.

A good democracy is a bottom up democracy where representatives arise from the people and they are respondent to the will and needs of their constituents.

I have only lived in a very shitty democracy. A top down democracy controlled by wealth where representatives don't give a damn about their constituents and vote the way the party demands or the way some lobbyist prefers.

So I can only speak to the problems that having a shitty democracy produces.

People do things.

A good democracy is a bottom up democracy where representatives arise from the people and they are respondent to the will and needs of their constituents.

That's the theory, I'm asking for an example of a time such an organization as you describe has done something bad.

An example, not more description of the theory.

Surely even you know the difference between "describe the theory" and "give an example". Did your programmer leave that out?

That's not the theory.

It is what is required.

Without it you have a pseudo-democratic process polluted by individuals with too much power and influence.

In the US these parasites on the body politic are generally the very wealthy.

That's not the theory.

It is what is required.

Without it you have a pseudo-democratic process polluted by individuals with too much power and influence.

I'm asking you for an example of a democratic action that you don't approve of.

Just one example.

That's not the theory.

It is what is required.

Just one example.

In which democracy?

The US does not have one.

That's not the theory.

It is what is required.

Just one example.

In which democracy?

The US does not have one.

In any place you think actually is one. I'm not asking for examples of "not a democracy", I'm asking for an example of "is a democracy and did something I don't like." If the US isn't a democracy than not the US.

However, earlier in this thread you did describe the US as an imperfect representative democracy, so you just contradicted yourself.

You also claimed that there is some tyranny of the majority when as we see more and more people allowed to vote we see the opposite. We see rights expanding.

You also claimed that there is some tyranny of the majority when as we see more and more people allowed to vote we see the opposite. We see rights expanding.

And again you refuse to provide an example of a democracy voting for something you don't approve of.

Democracies don't vote on things.

People do.

Your question is as if a three year thought it up with a three year olds understanding.

The notion of a "tyranny of the majority" is not something real.

It is merely something the defenders of dictatorship say.

They are immoral scum who would rather believe a total fantasy then give up their love of a dictator.

And again you refuse to provide an example of a democracy voting for something you don't approve of.

This Turing Test is officially failed. Maybe they can come up with some lifelike responses for the next build.

Another fool talking about this made up fantasy called the tyranny of the majority.

Back
Top Bottom