• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Dictatorship is neither left nor right

You also claimed that there is some tyranny of the majority when as we see more and more people allowed to vote we see the opposite. We see rights expanding.

And again you refuse to provide an example of a democracy voting for something you don't approve of.

Democracies don't vote on things.

People do.

So then you should be able to give me an example of the people in a democracy voting for something you don't approve of.

Last edited:
This is not about what I like or don't like.

It is about having a system that can respond to the needs of everyone.

Everybody needs health insurance.

A decent democracy would come up with a plan to meet this need.

Especially when so many nations have done it already.

A failed democracy would somehow not be able to meet this need that other nations have met for decades.

That is convoluted nonsense.

You have no point.

You merely tried to peddle this tyranny of the majority bullshit and failed miserably.

Give it up.

There is no such thing.

It is obly something the lovers of dictatorship whine about. It is not real.

I tell you that a failed democracy is a modern democracy that can't seem to create a good universal health insurance system and it is a complete waste of time.

You don't give a shit the democracy is bad.

You have your own irrational agenda.

That is convoluted nonsense.

That is a good description of your posts. And another dodge.

An example of a system that you consider sufficiently democratic in which the voters decided something you disagree with. Just one example.

I'm not seeing the point behind unter's reticence to give an example nor your and dismal's insistence that he does. It can just be an imaginary case, where the office votes to get lunch at Quizno's and I wanted to go to McDonald's. Or something more serious, like if a council of workers voted to adopt a technology that was more efficient but bad for the environment, and I was in the minority. It's not a big mystery. But having given those examples, there's no underlying admonition of democracy to be found anyway. If people vote to do something I don't like, the only rational courses of action would be to try to change their minds or get other people on my side of the issue; i.e. democracy. In the end, you'll just end up saying 'yeah, it turns out democracy is the solution to democratic actions that somebody may dislike, and that's way better than dictatorship.' Which is the entire purpose of the thread to begin with. This thread is getting into last-word territory.

By definition, wouldn't every democratically reached motion, unless it were totally unanimous, result in somebody's wishes not being represented by the motion? Is this somehow news, or reason to be suspicious of democracy?

By definition, wouldn't every democratically reached motion, unless it were totally unanimous, result in somebody's wishes not being represented by the motion? Is this somehow news, or reason to be suspicious of democracy?

Although it is for a sane person, unter defines anything he agrees with as democratic and anything he disagrees with as non-democratic. My question, and the reason he refuses to answer, is to him a contradiction.

No shit.

Tyranny of the majority merely means your ideas didn't win.

But there always must be ideas that don't win.

It is nothing but something lovers of dictatorship talk about.

Although it is for a sane person, unter defines anything he agrees with as democratic and anything he disagrees with as non-democratic. My question, and the reason he refuses to answer, is to him a contradiction.

So? Maybe stop asking then? I don't get the fixation with winning on the internet, you've made your comment like a dozen times now, the returns are rapidly diminishing

No shit.

Tyranny of the majority merely means your ideas didn't win.

But there always must be ideas that don't win.

It is nothing but something lovers of dictatorship talk about.

Tyranny of the majority is always assigned in hindsight, long after the correct thing is already supported by the majority, to point and sneer at a time when it wasn't. Every time, though, if you follow up and ask what the majority back then would have decided if their whole society was more democratic, and not just whatever mechanism they used for that one decision, they most likely would have come to the right conclusion.

Democracy simply reveals, when there isn't enough of it, the negative effects of not having enough democracy. It shines a big spotlight on the majority and says: look how sad it is that they think this way, and if we'd listened to everyone's voice from the get-go they probably wouldn't be so entrenched by now, so let's get to work on changing some minds. It never says: this could have been prevented by just letting rich people run everything.

These people also can't seem to understand what a terribly corrupted democracy exists in the US.

Any democracy that can't create a universal health system in today's world is a failed democracy.

These people also can't seem to understand what a terribly corrupted democracy exists in the US.

Any democracy that can't create a universal health system in today's world is a failed democracy.

So give me an example from a democracy that isn't terribly corrupted, some other democracy. It doesn't have to be an example from the United States.

Back
Top Bottom