• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Did you take a class in critical race theory?

Did you take a class in Critical Race Theory?

• Total voters
Oh, there it is. Keep the definition of CRT so vague and abstract you can retreat when it's exposed as racist claptrap. Mote and bailey, indeed.

You're a fine one to talk about the motte-and-bailey fallacy (its correct spelling, btw). Your rhetorical game of switching between "we shouldn't teach children to be racists" (your motte) and "therefore the government should be allowed to rigorously censor higher education" (your bailey) is a classic example of that very fallacy.

Wut? I've never said that government should censor higher education. Cite one post. One. But government supported schools should not teach children that their worth is based on skin color. That this is controversial is just mind boggling.

Oh, there it is. Keep the definition of CRT so vague and abstract you can retreat when it's exposed as racist claptrap.
The irony of those claims from one using an undefined definition of CRT. And posting videos of anti-CRT speakers who make ludicrous claims is overwhelming.

Seriously. If you did not know who Kendi was before this thread, then you have little knowledge of CRT and why people are opposed to it.

Oh, there it is. Keep the definition of CRT so vague and abstract you can retreat when it's exposed as racist claptrap. Mote and bailey, indeed.

You're a fine one to talk about the motte-and-bailey fallacy (its correct spelling, btw). Your rhetorical game of switching between "we shouldn't teach children to be racists" (your motte) and "therefore the government should be allowed to rigorously censor higher education" (your bailey) is a classic example of that very fallacy.

Wut? I've never said that government should censor higher education. Cite one post. One. But government supported schools should not teach children that their worth is based on skin color. That this is controversial is just mind boggling.

Ah, and back to your motte you go.

Hey, that's your proposition. If you can't support it, don't make it.

Oh, there it is. Keep the definition of CRT so vague and abstract you can retreat when it's exposed as racist claptrap.
The irony of those claims from one using an undefined definition of CRT. And posting videos of anti-CRT speakers who make ludicrous claims is overwhelming.

Seriously. If you did not know who Kendi was before this thread, then you have little knowledge of CRT and why people are opposed to it.
I have read some of the work of Derrick Bell. I seriously doubt most of your sources have. Nothing in his work is consistent with increasingly bizarre claims of your posted sources and yourself. Mr Xendi in your own link says he is not an expert in CRT and says his views are “inspired” by CRT.

All of that suggests to me that you have no direct knowledge of CRT or any actual clue of what CRT really means.

Hey, that's your proposition. If you can't support it, don't make it.

Literally no one but yourself has made that proposition.

I'm qualified enough to comment on the theory generally, but that isn't quite the same thing as taking a class. They are definitely over-estimating how commonly this topic arises, especially at the elementary- and high-school level as has been alleged. I know a lot of college professors who've been scrambling for old notes in the last few weeks, anticipating the slough of confused questions from the public.

There are a plethora of decent think-pieces making the round these days, if you're interested in learning more about CRT. It's a bit of an advanced subject, but not beyond what most adults can reasonably understand if you're willing to wade through a bit of legal jargon.

Fundamentally, though, understanding CRT as scholars discuss the subject will not help you understand American conservative political uses of the term; the two concepts are nearly unrelated.

The problem with CRT, is that it has become a far right extremist scare tactic that is used to inflame right wingers for political reasons. To understand this, a main culprit in all of this is one Christopher Rufo, a right winged activist who has created this disinformation bugaboo and with the help of Faux Nooz and President Trump made it a powerful political movement.

https://www.alternet.org/2021/06/chris-rufo/

Here is a good start to understanding how this became an issue in far right politics.

“far right extremist”

Sounds like the standard far-right extremist line to me. More screaming about the horrors of "diversity", "the 1619 project", unsourced tales about some local school curriculum or other, and so forth.

Did you think this video would help you somehow?

Kendi's books are included among the CRITICAL RACE THEORY BOOKS by the THE INSTITUTE FOR RACIAL JUSTICE RESEARCH & ADVOCACY - https://www.raceandlaw.org/critical-race-theory-books

Weird.
Clearly you do not understand the purpose of a reading list. A reading list typically contains important works that help the reader understand the general topic. That does not mean any particular work or author is an adherent or advocate of the topic.
A work by James Baldwin from 1963 is included in that reading list. There was no critical race theory in 1963. No sane person would claim James Baldwin was a critical race theorist.

Your posts are increasing in desperation and ignorance.

I don't think anyone here in this thread (perhaps with the exception of repoman) thinks that children should be taught that their worth is based on skin color. BTW, unlike you, I don't think any school - private or public - should be teaching that.

Your posts are increasing in desperation and ignorance.

I don't read them any more as a rule, but ... is that even possible?

Seriously, I have only EVER seen right wingers knock down their straw version of CRT, never addressing its actual origins, intent or factual content.

Where in CRT is that stated?

Where in CRT is that stated?

This going to be good.
tenor.gif

I knew who he was years ago. I never heard about any serious connection to CRT until the far right started screeching about him. Not a shock to hear he knows a bit about it, as it runs somewhat alongside his personal advise line of fighting racism, in the same society, with all the same studies and history (Folks like Baldwin, DuBois, and MLK Jr. had similar thought to both Kendi's personal advise and Bell/Crenshaw/etc's society-level ideas, before CRT or "How to be an anti-racist" were formed, after all), but the very fact that he tends to write advise for individuals means that he's not really a harbinger of CRT.

Trausti said:
Wut? I've never said that government should censor higher education. Cite one post. One. But government supported schools should not teach children that their worth is based on skin color.
In the italicized and underlined sentence, the phrase "government supported schools" would include state universities. In fact, it would also include private schools that receive government funds, including vouchers. Is that what you meant?

Back
Top Bottom