• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Do we ALL have a "right to die"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most people here have expressed support for the right of individuals top make their own choices, for themselves.
Then you better darned well hope that nobody exercises their supposed right to make their own choice to rob, rape, or murder you--for themselves. Ted Bundy evidently believed he had that right--for himself. Do you agree with him?
In what universe is this remotely considered arguing in good faith?
What I'm saying follows logically from what Iostone asserted which I formatted in bold. If you want to make up a right for everybody to go ahead and do what they choose to do, then murderers and rapists like Ted Bundy have a right to murder and rape if they choose to.

Are you really thinking about what you post?

And speaking of Ted Bundy, I wonder which side of this debate he would agree with.

You know perfectly well what lostone meant in the context of this thread, and it had nothing to do with Ted Bundy. This is beyond bad-faith arguing.
What I said follows logically from Iostone's assertion that we can do what we choose. Those like he who make that assertion don't appear to fully realize the implications of their own assertion. The fact is that we very obviously have no right to do whatever we want to do and for obvious reasons.
Nobody is denying you the choice to tell people to live on.
Then why have I been insulted, called names, and cursed at when I argue against assisted death? That looks like denial to me.
What is being denied is your evident desire to force them to live on, against their wishes.
Sure. My desire to have people live on is being denied or so that is the obvious aim of those here who hate my view. The obvious attempt here has been to bully me into silence.
You do not have that right, any more than Ted Bundy has the ”right” to kill anyone.
But wait--Iostone stated very clearly: "Most people here have expressed support for the right of individuals top make their own choices, for themselves." Ted Bundy was an individual. If you agree with Iostone, then Bundy had the right to make his own choice to rape and murder--for himself.

And can anybody doubt that Ted Bundy would be a euthanasia supporter?

Most people here have expressed support for the right of individuals top make their own choices, for themselves.
Then you better darned well hope that nobody exercises their supposed right to make their own choice to rob, rape, or murder you--for themselves. Ted Bundy evidently believed he had that right--for himself. Do you agree with him?
What I'm saying follows logically from what Iostone asserted which I formatted in bold.
No it doesn't. It doesn't remotely come close to that. You just decided to take their comment absurdly outside the context it was clearly spoken and created a hyperbolic what-if to try and make a reasonable statement seem nonsensical.

Unless you we were being honest, and thought lostone would say "Yes, Ted Bundy was within his rights", in that case, there isn't much that can be done to help you there.

Yes. I do. I also assume that the people I'm conversing with have a rudimentary understanding of the English language and that, in general, they aren't sociopaths or psychopaths.
And speaking of Ted Bundy, I wonder which side of this debate he would agree with.
So an association fallacy to vilify your opponents as well?

You know perfectly well what lostone meant in the context of this thread, and it had nothing to do with Ted Bundy. This is beyond bad-faith arguing.
What I said follows logically from Iostone's assertion that we can do what we choose. Those like he who make that assertion don't appear to fully realize the implications of their own assertion. The fact is that we very obviously have no right to do whatever we want to do and for obvious reasons.
Then why have I been insulted, called names, and cursed at when I argue against assisted death? That looks like denial to me.

Actually, none of the above has happened to you, and even if it did, none of that in the least compromises your ability to choose what to do.
What is being denied is your evident desire to force them to live on, against their wishes.
Sure. My desire to have people live on is being denied or so that is the obvious aim of those here who hate my view. The obvious attempt here has been to bully me into silence.

No, your “desire” to have people live on is not being denied. Your desire, or ability, to FORCE them to live on is being denied.
You do not have that right, any more than Ted Bundy has the ”right” to kill anyone.
But wait--Iostone stated very clearly: "Most people here have expressed support for the right of individuals top make their own choices, for themselves." Ted Bundy was an individual. If you agree with Iostone, then Bundy had the right to make his own choice to rape and murder--for himself.

Make their own choices, FOR THEMSELVES. Please dop this ridiculous pretense that you don’t know what lostone means by that.

If you want to drag Ted Bundy into the discussion, the real comparison is not between what Bundy did and what lostone is saying, but between what Bundy did and what YOU are saying. Just as he claimed the non-existent right to force people to die who wanted to live, you claim the non-existent right to force people to live who want to die. Two sides of the same coin. In both cases you and Bundy would arrogantly override another person’s agency to fulfill your own desires; i.e treating people as the means to your own ends.

What I'm saying follows logically from what Iostone asserted which I formatted in bold.
No it doesn't. It doesn't remotely come close to that.
Then please post how what Iostone said cannot be followed by what I said.
You just decided to take their comment absurdly outside the context it was clearly spoken and created a hyperbolic what-if to try and make a reasonable statement seem nonsensical.
Let's look at some of that context from your side:
Being ignored and thought a selfish and immoral fool is probably sufficient.

You can prefer anything you like for yourself. It's when you imagine that others should give crap the first about your preferences for them, that you fuck up royally.
That looks like something like Ted Bundy might say to me.
Unless you we were being honest, and thought lostone would say "Yes, Ted Bundy was within his rights", in that case, there isn't much that can be done to help you there.
To me the reasonable thing to do is to let Iostone tell us what he meant. I don't know you can know what he meant.
Yes. I do. I also assume that the people I'm conversing with have a rudimentary understanding of the English language and that, in general, they aren't sociopaths or psychopaths.
Symptoms (of sociopathology) may include disregard for others, a lack of empathy, and dishonest behavior. Sociopaths
  • break rules or laws
  • behave aggressively or impulsively
  • feel little guilt for harm they cause others
  • use manipulation, deceit, and controlling behavior
That looks like your side of this issue, not mine.
So an association fallacy to vilify your opponents as well?
I just said I wonder who Ted Bundy would side with. But hey--we all know the answer.

Actually, none of the above has happened to you,
<removed> I've been bullied all through this thread.
...and even if it did, none of that in the least compromises your ability to choose what to do.
I want to choose to fairly discuss an important issue with sensible, honest, moral people. That's obviously been denied me.

No, your “desire” to have people live on is not being denied. Your desire, or ability, to FORCE them to live on is being denied.
A truth! Yes, I cannot force anybody to live. That is correct.

Make their own choices, FOR THEMSELVES. Please dop this ridiculous pretense that you don’t know what lostone means by that.
Your posts remind me of Biblical fundamentalists who when a critic cites a Bible passage that glorifies violence will argue that the passage doesn't mean what it says.

So death-fundamentalism has some parallels with religious fundamentalism.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want to drag Ted Bundy into the discussion, the real comparison is not between what Bundy did and what lostone is saying, but between what Bundy did and what YOU are saying. Just as he claimed the non-existent right to force people to die who wanted to live, you claim the non-existent right to force people to live who want to die. Two sides of the same coin. In both cases you and Bundy would arrogantly override another person’s agency to fulfill your own desires; i.e treating people as the means to your own ends.
The difference between Bundy and me is that Bundy wanted people dead, and I want them alive. Who do you agree with?

Wait did Ted Bundy commit suicide?
Why is he in this conversation about people having the right to DECIDE ON THEIR OWN that they want to end THEIR OWN lives If they find themselves in a position of tremendous suffering with no chance of relief?

Why is he in this conversation about people having the right to DECIDE ON THEIR OWN that they want to end THEIR OWN lives If they find themselves in a position of tremendous suffering with no chance of relief?
I think Rhea et al have seen what I meant quite well by my simple statement and that your Ted Bundy example, proves you are not interested in arguing in good faith on this issue, so I am done with you regarding it.

The difference between Bundy and me is that Bundy wanted people dead, and I want them alive. Who do you agree with?

I can’t believe you could possibly be this obtuse, so yep, I’m going with deliberate bad-faith arguing.

The relelvant SIMILARITY is that both of you would decide for others whether they woud live or die. As I noted, and you ignored, you would force people to live against their will, even as he would force them to die against their will. Lostone CLEARLY is talking about disposing of one’s OWN LIFE, not disposing of anyone else’s. Could you possibly have missed the “FOR THEMSELVES” part? No, I think not. But you are fooling no one here with your BS, so why do you continue trying to BS us?

Can you post a real-life example of a person who wants to die but is being "forced to live"?

I can’t believe you could possibly be this obtuse...
Make sure you get that ad hominem in there.
...so yep, I’m going with deliberate bad-faith arguing.
Why not point out fallacies in what I'm arguing?
The relelvant SIMILARITY is that both of you would decide for others whether they woud live or die.
Sure. I prefer that people live. Bundy wanted them dead. Whom do you agree with?
As I noted, and you ignored, you would force people to live against their will,
In some cases, yes, I would use force to prevent suicide if I could. For example, if a suicidal person was on a high ledge aiming to jump, then if I was able to I would force that person to safety. You, evidently, would just let that person jump to die.
...even as he would force them to die against their will.
Isn't Bundy terrible for killing all those women? He hated women and obviously preferred that they die. Bundy wanted death, the death of others, for himself. It is eerily similar to what I've seen argued on this thread.
Lostone CLEARLY is talking about disposing of one’s OWN LIFE, not disposing of anyone else’s.
That's not what I read. Please explain how what he said leads you to believe your own interpretation.
Could you possibly have missed the “FOR THEMSELVES” part?
I emphasized it and explained the logical ramifications several times. The phrase "for themselves" in no way rules out what Bundy did. In fact, it supports what Bundy did.
No, I think not. But you are fooling no one here with your BS, so why do you continue trying to BS us?
That's a rather loaded question, don't you think?

Fundamentalists do tend to turn into potty mouths whenever they find themselves painted into a corner.

I can’t believe you could possibly be this obtuse...
Make sure you get that ad hominem in there.
...so yep, I’m going with deliberate bad-faith arguing.
Why not point out fallacies in what I'm arguing?
The relelvant SIMILARITY is that both of you would decide for others whether they woud live or die.
Sure. I prefer that people live. Bundy wanted them dead. Whom do you agree with?
As I noted, and you ignored, you would force people to live against their will,
In some cases, yes, I would use force to prevent suicide if I could. For example, if a suicidal person was on a high ledge aiming to jump, then if I was able to I would force that person to safety. You, evidently, would just let that person jump to die.
...even as he would force them to die against their will.
Isn't Bundy terrible for killing all those women? He hated women and obviously preferred that they die. Bundy wanted death, the death of others, for himself. It is eerily similar to what I've seen argued on this thread.
Lostone CLEARLY is talking about disposing of one’s OWN LIFE, not disposing of anyone else’s.
That's not what I read. Please explain how what he said leads you to believe your own interpretation.
Could you possibly have missed the “FOR THEMSELVES” part?
I emphasized it and explained the logical ramifications several times. The phrase "for themselves" in no way rules out what Bundy did. In fact, it supports what Bundy did.
No, I think not. But you are fooling no one here with your BS, so why do you continue trying to BS us?
That's a rather loaded question, don't you think?

Fundamentalists do tend to turn into potty mouths whenever they find themselves painted into a corner.
I was clearly writing about disposing of a person taking their own life, not someone else's. So your example is not applicable. OTOH, it is quite clear that you will twist whatever anyone says to your own purposes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was clearly writing about disposing of a person taking their own life, not someone else's. So your example is not applicable.
That's not what you said before. You should choose your words wisely.
OTOH, it is quite clear that you will twist whatever anyone says to your own purposes.
How did I twist what you said?

If you have changed no minds, you have saved no lives. Sooner or later, we all die anyhow.
Years ago I remember hearing some Christian leaders criticize atheists for devaluing human life and in particular for the tendency on the part of atheists to support euthanasia. I scoffed at that talk as a lot of religious propaganda. Now I'm seeing that there's some truth to what those Christians were saying.
Most people here have expressed support for the right of individuals top make their own choices, for themselves. So do many religious people. Your personal approval is not required, nor asked for.
I think what I said here is perfectly clear. I see no reasonable connection to your Ted Bundy attempt at misdirection.

How did I twist what you said?
Many exchanges with you go like this:

Other poster: "The sky is blue."
Unknown Soldier: "So you think that monkeys fly!"

Your effort to find the logical conclusion of what people say fails because you don't actually use logic to do it. You're fitting what others say to your belief that assisted suicide is murder. So if you keep retrofitting what others say to YOUR intentions, then you cannot understand what others say.

An example from the thread is lostone's phrase: "the right of individuals to make their own choices, for themselves". The meaning is clear to everyone but you. And that's because you insert your pet idea about "assisted suicide is murder" into the other person's words, to "interpret" their words into something that works for your point. By doing that you grossly misrepresent the other person and they rightly feel annoyed by that.

People want at least to be understood, regardless whether you agree or not. An impartial convo entails that you must understand the other POV, regardless whether you agree or not. But you keep failing to understand because you keep trying to insert your paranoid ideas into their heads, so they get frustrated and assume you're engaged in deliberate sophistry.

Can you post a real-life example of a person who wants to die but is being "forced to live"?
I already have. The fact that you can’t be bothered to remember it speaks volumes.

I gave you the personal, painful and ongoing tragedy of my mother’s disease and where she planned for decades to avoid the pain that her mother went through, and after her diagnosis we dithered with helping her achive her wishes because it was always “too soon,” until finally it was too late by law for her to request on her own and then how she asked me every day to bring her the means to end her life and begged me to kill her and (to my ongoing regret) she has now been suffering daily for years with absolutely no relief available, while still making it clear through her reduced ability to communicate that all she wants, with every day,, is to end her own suffering.

I gave you this painful personal example, making myself and my pain vulnerable to you and I watched you call me a liar.

When I am (likely) diagnosed with this disease, the risk of this torture will outweigh any desire for “just a few more months” and I will not die the same death as my mother and her mother. Nor will any of my siblings. We have vowed to help each other when the time comes.

I realize that you have extreme fear about this issue. I respect that. I can understand that it would make you react very strongly. But still, you dismiss my mother’s pain, and my future, and call me dishonest. That that in itself is no kind of compassion. You have wrapped yourself in your own story and cannot recognize another’s.

Last edited:
I already have. The fact that you can’t be bothered to remember it speaks volumes. I gave you the personal, painful and ongoing tragedy of my mother’s disease and where she planned for decades to avoid the pain that her mother went through, and after her diagnosis we dithered with helping her achive her wishes because it was always “too soon,” until finally it was too late for her to request on her own and then how she asked me every day to bring her the means to end her life and begged me to kill her and (to my ongoing regret) she has now been suffering daily for years with absolutely no relief available, while still making it clear through her reduced ability to communicate that all she wants, with every day,, is to end her own suffering.

I gave you this painful personal example, making myself and my pain vulnerable to you and I watched you call me a liar.

When I am (likely) diagnosed with this disease, the risk of this torture will outweigh any desire for “just a few more months” and I will not die the same death as my mother and her mother. Nor will any of my siblings. We have vowed to help each other when the time comes.

I realize that you have extreme fear about this issue. I respect that. I can understand that it would make you react very strongly. But still, you dismiss my mother’s pain, and my future, and call me dishonest. That that in itself is no kind of compassion. You have wrapped yourself in your own story and cannot recognize another’s.
I forgot to mention that I'd like you to cite an example I can check out of a person who is forced to live who wishes to die. Has there been anything in the news, for example?

Anyway, I can't judge you as a liar because I don't know you. And because I don't know you, I'd be foolish to believe everything you post. I do know that these horror stories are almost always told by somebody who supposedly knows or did the the person who I am told wanted to die. The dying, of course, are often seen as a burden, and human nature being what it is, we seek to free ourselves of burdens. And if we don't want to look selfish and cruel, then we very often stretch the truth a bit to save face and make up stories that it was the dying, and not we, who wanted them to die.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom