• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Does absolute truth exist?

Fine. "The first book of the Harry Potter series" then. It's a moot distinction.

You are at least two hundred posts too late to start complaining about nitpicking in this thread. If all the nitpicking was removed, there wouldn't be a thread at all - and that's the absolute truth. :D

Fine. "The first book of the Harry Potter series" then. It's a moot distinction.

You are at least two hundred posts too late to start complaining about nitpicking in this thread. If all the nitpicking was removed, there wouldn't be a thread at all - and that's the absolute truth. :D

Ya, but that would be a thread with the context of not having any nitpicking and doesn't take into account all the other potential contexts the thread could have and therefore, you can't make any statements about it whatsoever.

imaginary magickal super absolute truth.. yeah that is the ticket...

This is incoherent.

Is the statement "this is incoherent" self referential in your post?

How can you possibly not understand that none means that in some cases, context changes over time, so things that are true at one point in time, in a specific context, are not true at another?

In other words, some truths are relative. In regards to absolute truth, there is a very simple one:

It is absolutely true, and will always be absolutely true that someone existed at some point in the history of everything whether or not there is a witness to this fact.

It is incoherent as a reply to my point about so called CONTEXTS.

There is only one context in which we can rationally evaluate truth.

The context of our existence here and now.

There are no other contexts in which we can consider truths.

But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe Harry Potter stories are this magical other context to consider truth.

You start.

But maybe I'm wrong.
read this carelfully : " Absolute truth is a truth that is true in all contexts. "
so according to you truth is only true in one context all other contexts it is not true.
now read this again: " Absolute truth is a truth that is true in all contexts. "
do you understand that you yourself are arguing that absolute truth doesn't exist!!???

read this carelfully : " Absolute truth is a truth that is true in all contexts. "

Tell me about a context we can discuss truth, rationally, besides the context of our existence here and now.

And just so you know, Harry Potter stories exist within that context.

Tell me about a context we can discuss truth, rationally, besides the context of our existence here and now.

why? why should I entertain your request?

The very first sentence you keep trying to shove down my throat contains the word "contexts".

If there is only one context to consider truths, the context of our existence here and now, then the first sentence makes no logical sense.

The very first sentence you keep trying to shove down my throat contains the word "contexts".

If there is only one context to consider truths, the context of our existence here and now, then the first sentence makes no logical sense.
if? if? if? try again after you figure out there is more than one context in which truth is evaluated.

if? if? if? try again after you figure out there is more than one context in which truth is evaluated.

Replace "if" with "since".

Since there is only one context to consider truths, the context of our existence here and now, the first sentence makes no logical sense.

Since there is only one context to consider truths, the context of our existence here and now, the first sentence makes no logical sense.
since there are many contexts to consider truths, there is more than the context of our existence here and now. there fixed it for you
in the context of pink flamingos you try and try yet fall short of truth and that is true in both the pink flamingo context and the context of our existence.

Is the statement "this is incoherent" self referential in your post?

How can you possibly not understand that none means that in some cases, context changes over time, so things that are true at one point in time, in a specific context, are not true at another?

In other words, some truths are relative. In regards to absolute truth, there is a very simple one:

It is absolutely true, and will always be absolutely true that someone existed at some point in the history of everything whether or not there is a witness to this fact.

It is incoherent as a reply to my point about so called CONTEXTS.

The context of our existence here and now.

But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe Harry Potter stories are this magical other context to consider truth.

You start.

5 eggs at a ham store, then marched in a bean, Wiley wibbled.

since there are many contexts to consider truths, there is more than the context of our existence here and now. there fixed it for you
in the context of pink flamingos you try and try yet fall short of truth and that is true in both the pink flamingo context and the context of our existence.

We have already been through this nonsense.

I dropped a ball six minutes ago and it fell to the earth.

That is a truth.

What imaginary context that only you know about is that not a truth?

And why should we talk about truth in your imaginary non-existent contexts?

That is a truth.

oh now they don't exist! what are you talking about? what doesn't exist?
plus: a context is a context even if you don't like it.

That is a truth.

Your other contexts don't exist.

Prove they do.

Provide a context in which my ball didn't fall to the earth.

But please, something rational, not merely a fantasy from your imagination.

Prove they do.

you want me to comment on your imagined scenario without using my imagination... well duh.. of course it didn't fall to earth unless of course I am to use the imagined context it did fall, either way not absolute truth.

I think most of you should reflect about sprachspiel and what that means for words like "truth" and "knowledge".

What you see is not necessarily what you get.

Prove they do.

you want me to comment on your imagined scenario without using my imagination... well duh.. of course it didn't fall to earth unless of course I am to use the imagined context it did fall, either way not absolute truth.

No. I want you to defend your nonsense.

You claim there is more than one context to examine truths.

Give me another context besides the context of our existence here and now.

What possible other context do you think is available for us to examine truth?

No. I want you to defend your nonsense.

You claim there is more than one context to examine truths.

Give me another context besides the context of our existence here and now.

What possible other context do you think is available for us to examine truth?
the context where what we think is reasonable, for one
the context where we aren't brains in a jar, for two
the context where truth is attainable, for three
now there you have three contexts for the affirmative, need I tell you more?
there is at least one context where there is dissent for any given truth and that is the context where any given truth is false and if you don't like it too bad.

Back
Top Bottom