• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Doubleplus Goodspeak

Opoponax

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Apathetic Atheist
https://www.npr.org/2017/12/16/5713...tructs-cdc-on-its-own-version-of-7-dirty-word

So the Trump administration, and this can be attributed to the Trump administration because the CDC is ultimately under the control and supervision of the Executive Branch, has given directions to the CDC to not use certain words in their budget reports.

The horse shit response to say that the words are banned only from budget reports. Of course, there's been no explanation given for why the words are to be banned. And to say that the banned words really stand the fuck out is a gross understatement.

"Alarming," "Shocking," "Frightening." Grab a list of similar adjectives and they all apply.

This didn't come from Trump himself; he's too goddamn dumb. This came from Pence-like people, but if called upon to support it, Trump absolutely would. Read and it weep.

By Saturday afternoon, HHS, which includes the CDC, issued a statement, calling the existence of a set of banned words a "complete mischaracterization." Spokesperson Matt Lloyd adds:

"The assertion that HHS has 'banned words' is a complete mischaracterization of discussions regarding the budget formulation process. HHS will continue to use the best scientific evidence available to improve the health of all Americans. HHS also strongly encourages the use of outcome and evidence data in program evaluations and budget decisions."
The seven words that were to be stricken from official documents being drafted for the 2019 fiscal year budget, according to the Post, are:

diversity
entitlement
evidence-based
fetus
science-based
transgender
vulnerable

According to an unnamed CDC analyst in the Post's write-up, the list of the prohibited words was unveiled at the agency's headquarters in Atlanta during a Thursday meeting that lasted 90 minutes. The meeting was reportedly led by Alison Kelly, a top official with CDC's Office of Financial Services. The Post adds that Kelly did not give a reason why the words were being banned, only that she was simply relaying the information. The Post adds:

"In some instances, the analysts were given alternative phrases. Instead of 'science-based' or *'evidence-based,' the suggested phrase is, 'CDC bases its recommendations on science in consideration with community standards and wishes,' the person said. In other cases, no replacement words were immediately offered.

It would make sense that word would come down from department heads to avoid certain words in the interest of avoiding (further) budget cuts. It's self-preservation. People throughout the government are doing what is necessary to cope with this nightmare of an administration. Can you envision some douche-nozzle highlighting such words in a budget request and putting it in front of trump via FOX News?

At the State Department, meanwhile, certain documents now refer to sex education as “sexual risk avoidance.”

Remember, kids, sex is bad!

It would make sense that word would come down from department heads to avoid certain words in the interest of avoiding (further) budget cuts. It's self-preservation. People throughout the government are doing what is necessary to cope with this nightmare of an administration. Can you envision some douche-nozzle highlighting such words in a budget request and putting it in front of trump via FOX News?

True. And I do understand that. But the ban on specific words, regardless of the purpose, is fucking disturbing beyond description. And the specific words here make an almost explicit statement of what's going that we aren't seeing.

I don't like to make slippery slope arguments because of the speculation so often involved, but in this case it's appropriate. That is, if this is happening, what's next? Net Neutrality was stricken down by three Republicans and what was Ajit Pai's response? To make a video mocking the vast, vast majority of the American people. And look at the people he's trying to appoint to the bench; they're nothing short of nightmare cronies. The point is that there's a nary a week goes by without some new outrage. They keep adding up with little end in sight.

People keep saying "Wait until the 2018 elections!"

What makes anyone so sure there's going to be elections in 2018?

52% of Republicans would support suspending the 2020 elections if they thought illegals might vote in them.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...d-support-postponing-2020-election/555769001/

What would be so different about suspending the 2018 elections under the same pretense? They've already stolen a SCOTUS seat and the list of Trump's violations in office only keep piling up. There is no regard, not just for liberals, racial minorities, and the LGBTQ community; these motherfuckers don't even care about their own voters. And most of their voters would go right along with them.

52% of Republicans would support suspending the 2020 elections if they thought illegals might vote in them.

There will be elections in 2018. Whether they're honest or not is quite another matter. I do think they intend a soft coup (seize control by subverting the system rather than by outright force), whether they can pull it off or not I don't know.

There will be elections in 2018. Whether they're honest or not is quite another matter. I do think they intend a soft coup (seize control by subverting the system rather than by outright force), whether they can pull it off or not I don't know.

In 2018, I foresee a media shitstorm. If Facebook enacts controls/filters, will the Bannon faction scream about a free and open internet? Oh the irony.
I foresee a more overt plutocracy. And, god help us, will some less than liberal democrats hop on board the trump train? After all, they're no angels when it comes to caving to the corporate overlords.
By 2020, I foresee further restrictions on entering political races. Our choices between liberal and conservative shifting by no small measure to the right.

That's my worst case scenario. Mueller will present much dirt on trump and congress will explain it away by labeling trump as "largely unaware". The politically correct way of calling him a stupid fucking tool of Putin's.
Best case is wild oscillations every two years in control of our government, which the media would be totally cool with.

Trump proved the US system is dysfunctional and easy prey to very cheap and transparent con men.

Many Americans are incredibly uneducated and can be manipulated easily if their hatreds are addressed.

I do not see much getting better for Americans.

Their system is completely broken. They could easily and very quickly move to despotism. They already have the despotism of wealth.

At the State Department, meanwhile, certain documents now refer to sex education as “sexual risk avoidance.”

Remember, kids, sex is bad!

LOL, the term "Risk Avoidance" is, in my field, just another way of saying "Putting your head in the sand". You can Remediate Risk, you can Assign Risk... you can measure Residual Risk, Risk Impact, Scope, Likelihood...

An organization can have varying degrees of Risk Appetite - being more or less Risk Adverse... There is no "avoiding" risk.

Too funny.

Trump proved the US system is dysfunctional and easy prey to very cheap and transparent con men.

Many Americans are incredibly uneducated and can be manipulated easily if their hatreds are addressed.

Their system is completely broken. They could easily and very quickly move to despotism. They already have the despotism of wealth.

I would've argued against that to a certain degree a couple of years ago. I mean, yes, I basically agree with what you said, but I would've said it's not really as bad as all that.

Now I agree without qualification.

Let's say Trump is worth half of what he claims, which would be about 4.5 billion dollars. The "tax cut" that looks like it's going to pass will reward him to the tune of tens of millions of dollars while the middle and lower class will pay more to make that happen. The fucking bastard couldn't be moved to get off his ass to support the Republican healthcare shitfest earlier in the year (beyond running his mouth here and there); but when it came time to grift off the American citizenry for an amount of money that he'd save in just one year; an amount any person could live off for the rest of their life, Trump sure got off his ass and worked that thing. And his supporters cheered!

It's easy to go on about the number of outrages, but what it's never been is so utterly naked. The brazenness is breathtaking. The hypocrisy is-------there isn't a word in the English language for it.

Even if elections happen next year, and even if they're fair, and even if Democrats gain enough of a majority in both Houses to toss Trump, the underlying rot is still too great to turn things around. The racism that had largely been shoved under a rock is out and proudly in the open. The unrelenting grab for the wealth of the people of the nation will continue, somewhat abated, until complacency sets in once more. Then we'll do this same thing all over again. But next time, it's going to be even worse. Next time it'll be someone cunning and intelligent enough to make quick work of the structures of our government because they've been given a path. Of course, this all assumes there's going to be "next time."

Even if elections happen next year, and even if they're fair, and even if Democrats gain enough of a majority in both Houses to toss Trump, the underlying rot is still too great to turn things around. The racism that had largely been shoved under a rock is out and proudly in the open. The unrelenting grab for the wealth of the people of the nation will continue, somewhat abated, until complacency sets in once more. Then we'll do this same thing all over again. But next time, it's going to be even worse. Next time it'll be someone cunning and intelligent enough to make quick work of the structures of our government because they've been given a path. Of course, this all assumes there's going to be "next time."

I reckon that the Rethuglicans have it all figured out - howl about high taxes and the deficit when Dems are in charge, then run up the deficit and pocket the money under the guise of "tax reduction" when they get control. They know the pendulum will swing back (the public doesn't like being ripped off, no matter how slick the heist), and they'll be perfectly positioned to howl once again when the Dems have to raise taxes to cover the deficits created by the kleptos.

Where's George Carlin when you need him?

I would've argued against that to a certain degree a couple of years ago. I mean, yes, I basically agree with what you said, but I would've said it's not really as bad as all that.

Now I agree without qualification.

Let's say Trump is worth half of what he claims, which would be about 4.5 billion dollars. The "tax cut" that looks like it's going to pass will reward him to the tune of tens of millions of dollars while the middle and lower class will pay more to make that happen. The fucking bastard couldn't be moved to get off his ass to support the Republican healthcare shitfest earlier in the year (beyond running his mouth here and there); but when it came time to grift off the American citizenry for an amount of money that he'd save in just one year; an amount any person could live off for the rest of their life, Trump sure got off his ass and worked that thing. And his supporters cheered!

It's easy to go on about the number of outrages, but what it's never been is so utterly naked. The brazenness is breathtaking. The hypocrisy is-------there isn't a word in the English language for it.

You haven't explained how things are not as bad as I say.

When somebody like Trump is elected and supported and doing things your democracy is completely dysfunctional. It can be manipulated by anyone who can put on a good enough show. A Hitler could easily arise. Luckily Trump is an ignorant bumbling narcissistic fool who's never known a day of hardship, not a Hitler.

Back
Top Bottom