• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Doubleplus Goodspeak

Trump isn't smart enough to come up with that list of words. Heck, her probably can't pronounce half of them.

That list almost certainly came from evangelicals as part of their anti-science, misogynist, homophobic, anti-trans bullshit.

The manipulation of language and the forbidding of words to make ideas go away.

The connection to Orwell is clear.

Where's George Carlin when you need him?

The crazy (see: now standard) is that Trumptards love Carlin. They think he's talking about "liberuls."

And to some extent he was. We see it on both sides. Trump's people want to ban some words, and some on the left want to ban others. The censorship issue isn't cleanly on one side of the political spectrum. Carlin would have no problem calling somebody queer, tranny, or retarded for example, and definitely wouldn't let people tell him what pronouns he must use for them.

What words have the left wanted banned?

And who do you think the left is?

It is not a handful of kids on campuses. Those are children finding their way.

Who is the left and which of them is asking for words to be banned?

The crazy (see: now standard) is that Trumptards love Carlin. They think he's talking about "liberuls."

And to some extent he was. We see it on both sides. Trump's people want to ban some words, and some on the left want to ban others. The censorship issue isn't cleanly on one side of the political spectrum.
Carlin was a political bigot, and had no trouble tearing anyone down. But right now... he'd be like Lewis Black. 'Donald Trump is the President of the United States... that's the punchline... I have no idea what in the hell the setup is.'
Carlin would have no problem calling somebody queer, tranny, or retarded for example, and definitely wouldn't let people tell him what pronouns he must use for them.
That really betrays Carlin and his genius with language. He wouldn't simply use a label just because he wanted to or because of social inertia. He was able to masterfully craft jokes just using crooked reflections of language.

Trump isn't smart enough to come up with that list of words. Heck, her probably can't pronounce half of them.

That list almost certainly came from evangelicals as part of their anti-science, misogynist, homophobic, anti-trans bullshit.

in other words: Pence

Yep.

Pence is not dumb but he is as cold an SOB as I've seen with the added bonus of having his head so far up his own ass that he cannot see truth for shit.

And to some extent he was. We see it on both sides. Trump's people want to ban some words, and some on the left want to ban others. The censorship issue isn't cleanly on one side of the political spectrum. Carlin would have no problem calling somebody queer, tranny, or retarded for example, and definitely wouldn't let people tell him what pronouns he must use for them.

So Trump banned scientists from using certain words, but liberals are exactly as bad because we accuse people of racism when they say racist things?

Wow. Even for my infamous parody/satire posts of you guys, that one is a hell of a stretch.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep.

Pence is not dumb but he is as cold an SOB as I've seen with the added bonus of having his head so far up his own ass that he cannot see truth for shit.

Oh yeah? Well then how do you stupid libruls explain away the fact that Trump defeated ISIS in the first 30 days exactly like he promised? Huh? I bet you don't think you're so smart now, huh? Dumbass liberals! You'll believe anything fed to you by the Jews who run the Liberal Lamestream Media! [/conservolibertarian]

It seems the Jews run Trump.

Despite the recklessness and insanity of it he did exactly what the Jews in Israel have wanted for decades.

And to some extent he was. We see it on both sides. Trump's people want to ban some words, and some on the left want to ban others.

That's a pretty gross mischaracterization.

The people on the left who are into banning speech largely consist of radicals or students going through a phase. Certainly, such beliefs are reprehensible, but such people have always existed and always will. But here's what matters: those people don't have any power.

Trump and the GOP control all three branches of the government and actually have handed down policy banning the use of very key words and terms in official documents. Surely you see the difference?

The censorship issue isn't cleanly on one side of the political spectrum. Carlin would have no problem calling somebody queer, tranny, or retarded for example, and definitely wouldn't let people tell him what pronouns he must use for them.

Carlin's language was reflective of the times. I was a kid in the 70s and I like to think I managed to progress beyond the derogatory terms and language that, when I was in 5th grade, didn't understand was hurtful and bigoted. And I like to think that Carlin wouldn't have been a Trump supporter and would use language appropriate to communicate that.

It seems the Jews run Trump.

Despite the recklessness and insanity of it he did exactly what the Jews in Israel have wanted for decades.

All Trump needed to know was that his base would approve because 1) they think Israel is Jesus Land 2) many think it'll blow the whistle to kick off Armageddon, and 3) they know it'll really piss off Arabs.

It's a triple helping of dipshittery.

But Trump's base loves it. The fact that many Jews of various political stripes support it too is incidental.

And to some extent he was. We see it on both sides. Trump's people want to ban some words, and some on the left want to ban others.

The people on the left who are into banning speech largely consist of radicals or students going through a phase. Certainly, such beliefs are reprehensible, but such people have always existed and always will. But here's what matters: those people don't have any power.

Prob'ly why JP seems to have done a runner on that question...

Carlin would have no problem calling somebody queer, tranny, or retarded for example, and definitely wouldn't let people tell him what pronouns he must use for them.
I actually think he'd welcome individual 's taking control of language in that way. I can imagine a routine about "Language can be so hurtful. Like 'gay.' Gay is such a nice little world. A light word. You imagine people having a day off, maybe wearing colorful clothes in the park. Then the homosexuals were tired of being called 'Queers.' So they wanted something happier. Colorful. Let's use gay! Now, people try to be ugly about the very same thing they called queer by calling it gay. This is gay. That's gay. That guy sounds gay. A gay-guy. That movie's gay.
But now! Oh, look now! We don't have to vote on words as a movement. Instead of the entire gay community deciding what to use, instead of gay or queer or faggot, each individual can self-identify as whatever-the-fuck-you-want!
I, they say, am of the group of black men who feel deep down that they're Chinese women who are attracted to Indian women who believe they were gay Latino men in a previous life WHO felt they were a reincarnation of Marie Antoinette AND who currently shave their legs but not their armpits. That's what I self-identify as! And the word for that is...
....my secret.
Then no one can hurt you! They'll try. "You faggot!" "Sorry, dude, that's not what I am. The word slides off my back, doing no harm."
"Oh. Then you're queer."
"Nope."'
"Nigga?"
"Not even close."
"That's gay..."
"Wrong again!"
"Can you give me a hint?"
"Okay. It's one of 31 flavors at Baskin Robbins. Local availability not guaranteed."

I actually think he'd welcome individual 's taking control of language in that way. I can imagine a routine about "Language can be so hurtful. Like 'gay.' Gay is such a nice little world. A light word. You imagine people having a day off, maybe wearing colorful clothes in the park. Then the homosexuals were tired of being called 'Queers.' So they wanted something happier. Colorful. Let's use gay! Now, people try to be ugly about the very same thing they called queer by calling it gay. This is gay. That's gay. That guy sounds gay. A gay-guy. That movie's gay.
But now! Oh, look now! We don't have to vote on words as a movement. Instead of the entire gay community deciding what to use, instead of gay or queer or faggot, each individual can self-identify as whatever-the-fuck-you-want!
I, they say, am of the group of black men who feel deep down that they're Chinese women who are attracted to Indian women who believe they were gay Latino men in a previous life WHO felt they were a reincarnation of Marie Antoinette AND who currently shave their legs but not their armpits. That's what I self-identify as! And the word for that is...
....my secret.
Then no one can hurt you! They'll try. "You faggot!" "Sorry, dude, that's not what I am. The word slides off my back, doing no harm."
"Oh. Then you're queer."
"Nope."'
"Nigga?"
"Not even close."
"That's gay..."
"Wrong again!"
"Can you give me a hint?"
"Okay. It's one of 31 flavors at Baskin Robbins. Local availability not guaranteed."

^ Gay post.
:p

I wonder what Carlin would have thought of people posthumously placing him into whatever camp they belong in so as to advance their own motives.

I wonder what Carlin would have thought of people posthumously placing him into whatever camp they belong in so as to advance their own motives.

Prolly proof that humor transcends politics.

Prob'ly why JP seems to have done a runner on that question...

Well, maybe he'll come back and explain. But whatever the case, it's classic mischaracterization of the situation that conservatives are in the habit of doing. Something along the lines of:

Some types of birds are carnivorous and people are allowed to own them, so we should also be able to own tigers and let them run around free in our backyards.

IOW, it's kinda not the same thing.

It's also more of the "both sides do it" bullshit that's used by so-called "independents" to justify their support of Trump. I have an ex-friend like that. Claims to be an independent, but votes strictly (R) and has never voted any other way.

I have an ex-friend like that. Claims to be an independent, but votes strictly (R) and has never voted any other way.

I think we all want to think of ourselves as "independent" in some way. I know that I've never voted a straight ticket before, but if elections were tomorrow I'd be all in for Democrats.
I hope you'll still be my friend. :D
I agree that the notion that some Liberals would frown on the use of the word "libtard", and therefore it's okay that GOVERNMENT AGENCIES ban common words like "evidence-based" - that notion is misguided.
Maybe there are empowered liberals lurking somewhere, using their power to ban the use of some common words by others ... hence my question to JP.

Back
Top Bottom