• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Einstein's God

George S

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
antitheist anarchist
I think that Einstein filled the god-spot inside with reality itself.

If it is good enough for him, well...

Here's a response I gave in a discussion about belief. I make the claim that belief equals opinion.

IMHO there is no god. I'm willing to be proven wrong. In fact, I have studied up on a variety after, in my 18th year, reading the KJV from cover to cover, and discovering as I reached the last "Amen" that I was no longer Christian, nor even Jewish; I began a quest and can report that in the last quarter century of diligent search I have found no claim of godhood to be satisfied by demonstrable evidence. Oh sure I learned how to meditate deeply. Let myself be hypnotized into the state of god-belief. The hypnotist was one of a small number of Architects of the Universe to me for a while. Knowing what it feels like I found a way to fill that place inside.

Now I have chosen as my object of worship The Universe. As a Universalist I hold there is but one god, visible to all. The First Cause is existence bare. On rather than off. Time rather than no-time. Reality rather than unreality. Just stuff and time aticking. . All the stuff in the tiniest of volumes and/or largest of volumes. All of the stuff in the entirety of existence --all the energy, all the matter (they are the same) at once. There is/was just one amount. Unity. Every part of every man and every star once was as close as physical law ever allows stuff to be. The Universe was One and that which makes us up was there. We are within the original One.

The One Banged Big

For symmetry's sake I imagine it was a 4-D explosion. From the One in both time directions we may as well invoke symmetry again and the stuff/energy going backwards equals that going forwards from that One. The denizens of that universe see our universe contracting into their Big Bang. We see theirs contracting into ours completing the cause/effect. Remember, all the laws of physics work both ways. Sean Carroll has thoughts in this direction.

To the best of my knowledge and belief there is no god but reality. Time, and reality, will tell.​

But I don't really worship... not as the word is usually understood. Is it right to use god-language ("God does not play dice.") and mean reality? "Did God have a choice?"

Einstein wrote about God numerous times over years. And he often seems to contradict himself. He does not believe in the standard bible God, but what he does "believe" in shifts around a bit. I have thus learned to ignore Einstein

Neither Spinoza nor Einstein are gods.

:p

Perhaps you missed the apostrophe and the letter after the apostrophe? :p

Not at all.

The apostrophe has two possible meanings - ownership, or a contraction. "The god belonging to Spinoza" or "Spinoza is god" can both be legitimately written as "Spinoza's god".

I pretended to misunderstand which was intended, for comical effect.

Evidently I wasted my effort in so doing.

Perhaps you missed the apostrophe and the letter after the apostrophe? :p

Not at all.

The apostrophe has two possible meanings - ownership, or a contraction. "The god belonging to Spinoza" or "Spinoza is god" can both be legitimately written as "Spinoza's god".

I pretended to misunderstand which was intended, for comical effect.

Evidently I wasted my effort in so doing.

Sorry. Went right over my head.

No life form exists without matter and functions without matter. Feasibly they are one of the same.

What are one and the same? Life and matter? By that reasoning, humans and urine are one and the same.

I made an error. It should read
No Life form exists without matter. No Life functions without energy.

What are one and the same? Life and matter? By that reasoning, humans and urine are one and the same.

E=m*c*c. Shorter: No life form exists without matter-energy.

Nothing exists except as matter-energy. There is no need for a self-caused-god hypothesis when a self-caused-universe would do as well.

So when Einstein spoke of God I think he may have meant whatever is self-caused.

E=m*c*c. Shorter: No life form exists without matter-energy.

Nothing exists except as matter-energy. There is no need for a self-caused-god hypothesis when a self-caused-universe would do as well.

So when Einstein spoke of God I think he may have meant whatever is self-caused.

You said it much better. The last sentence perhaps so.

Back
Top Bottom