• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Electric cars taking over the world?

I suspect that it will ultimately be cheaper, easier, and more effective to prevent the combustion of fossil fuels by simply manufacturing gasoline (or other liquid fuels) from non-fossil sources.

That might mean using such things as bio-ethanol for cars and light vehicles, and vegetable oil based diesel fuels for trucks
I wish people stopped with this bio-fuel bullshit. It's not only not cheaper it's criminal to use land to grow fuel instead of food.

People starving is not because there's not enough food. It's because they can't get the food that is produced. We still have an extreme over-production of food. I've seen different numbers on this, but about half of all the food produced is simply thrown away. Nah, it's not criminal. We still have loads of land we're not using well.

The meteor HOS-132 chimed in on this topic to say that the question of what will happen on Earth in 10 years is an extremely moot point.

citation? Google has no idea what HOS-132 is... Tyson has been talking about a large threat coming within the next 50 years... I forget the name of it... but it is a "threat" because it is like 0.001% higher than the next highest candidate for a collision with Earth...putting it in "better than 1 in a million chance" status... So, what's this 132 you speak of?

I suspect that it will ultimately be cheaper, easier, and more effective to prevent the combustion of fossil fuels by simply manufacturing gasoline (or other liquid fuels) from non-fossil sources.

That might mean using such things as bio-ethanol for cars and light vehicles, and vegetable oil based diesel fuels for trucks
I wish people stopped with this bio-fuel bullshit. It's not only not cheaper it's criminal to use land to grow fuel instead of food.

Why? There's already too much food in the world, and we are not even close to using as much farmland today as was in use half a century ago.

Far more people today are suffering from the effects of eating too much than are suffering from eating too little.

That might mean using such things as bio-ethanol for cars and light vehicles, and vegetable oil based diesel fuels for trucks (The first diesel engines ran on peanut oil, and there is very little technical benefit to using mineral diesel instead* - it's done because it's cheaper; Electric trucks are even less likely to come to pass than widespread adoption of electric cars).

More likely, IMO, light cars will run on synthetic octane, made using hydrocarbons, alcohols, CO2, or a combination of these, in plants powered using non-fossil fuel derived electricity.

It's just easier to store the electrical energy from the grid in the form of a liquid fuel that is compatible with existing internal combustion engines, than it is to develop batteries that can be safely recharged fast enough to compete with pumping gas.

Of course, either possibility is only worth bothering with if the grid power is generated without the combustion of coal, oil or gas.

*In fact there are some significant benefits to use of vegetable, rather than mineral, oil for fuel in diesel engines, not least the lower levels of sulfur in vegetable oils.

It's just a question of money. Bio-fuel is still way more expensive than oil. We still have loads of easily accessible oil. As long as we have that situation bio-fuel is dead in the water. Bio-fuel was only hot technology until an American figured out how to do fracking. Now, not so hot.

That's only true because the cost of climate change is externalised.

If fossil fuel costs included this, perhaps in the form of a pigouvian tax, then vegetable oil would be cheaper.

Anything is going to look cheap if someone else has to shoulder a big chunk of the expense.

Why? There's already too much food in the world, and we are not even close to using as much farmland today as was in use half a century ago.

Far more people today are suffering from the effects of eating too much than are suffering from eating too little.

Well, Russia has vast oil reserves that they can't sell very easily (you know, those libtard Americans sanctioning their oligarchs and all..), so barbos is going to oppose any competing technology - especially if it threatens to devalue Uncle Vlad's hoard.

How about desert? I think if biofuel has a future it's in giant vats of engineered algae in the desert sun. Essentially, we would be using the existing nanotechnology to capture the energy in photons currently pouring down on us by the sun I to liquid hydrocarbon fuel.

People starving is not because there's not enough food. It's because they can't get the food that is produced.

Yes and people will starve because of shortage if bio-fuel is allowed.
Seriously, how much food do you think your car counsume compared to you?

How about desert? I think if biofuel has a future it's in giant vats of engineered algae in the desert sun. Essentially, we would be using the existing nanotechnology to capture the energy in photons currently pouring down on us by the sun I to liquid hydrocarbon fuel.
If biofuel has any kind of future it has to have 20-30% efficiency, not fractions of a percent it has right now. Any attempts to intensify production such as pumping algae in tubes ended up in spending much much much more energy than getting in the end.
Truth is, biological processes are extremely inefficient and wasteful.

It's just a question of money. Bio-fuel is still way more expensive than oil. We still have loads of easily accessible oil. As long as we have that situation bio-fuel is dead in the water. Bio-fuel was only hot technology until an American figured out how to do fracking. Now, not so hot.

If fossil fuel costs included this, perhaps in the form of a pigouvian tax, then vegetable oil would be cheaper.

Anything is going to look cheap if someone else has to shoulder a big chunk of the expense.

I didn't say it was fair or a good idea. As long as USA is led by a climate change denier any hope of managing the negative externalities of oil is fucked.

- - - Updated - - -

People starving is not because there's not enough food. It's because they can't get the food that is produced.

You are a strange person. Such a warped sense of reality

I didn't say it was fair or a good idea. As long as USA is led by a climate change denier any hope of managing the negative externalities of oil is fucked.

You said it was "just a question of money". But it's not; if it was JUST a question of money, then the most expensive fuels would be those that have the greatest costs associated with them. But as you clearly recognize, a very large chunk of the cost of mineral oils (the cost of dealing with the waste products, in particular CO2, and/or the cost to society of failing to deal with that waste) is allowed to be externalized, and this is a political, not a monetary, question.

So it's not "just a question of money"; It's just a question of politics. As evidenced by your (accurate) assessment that "As long as USA is led by a climate change denier any hope of managing the negative externalities of oil is fucked."

In a rational world (which I doubt we will see in my lifetime), people would make a fuss about hazardous waste in proportion to the degree of hazard it poses, and these guys would be picketing oil refineries or coal mines:

p10_nuclear_dump_protest.jpg

If biofuel has any kind of future it has to have 20-30% efficiency, not fractions of a percent it has right now. Any attempts to intensify production such as pumping algae in tubes ended up in spending much much much more energy than getting in the end.

It depends what you are comparing it to. Oil is also wasteful considering we only have one planet and we're fucking it up. If we lose this planet how much do you think your percentage points put you ahead?

We can stick bio-fuel plants in some remote area and have them be 100% robotic. They'll fuel themselves. It's hard not to make a profit with that.

It's a question of technology.

Just a decade ago we were struggling with making wind power lucrative. Denmark's biggest power country just sold all their north sea oil platforms. Their wind power farms are now more lucrative.

It depends what you are comparing it to. Oil is also wasteful considering we only have one planet and we're fucking it up. If we lose this planet how much do you think your percentage points put you ahead?

We can stick bio-fuel plants in some remote area and have them be 100% robotic. They'll fuel themselves. It's hard not to make a profit with that.

Just a decade ago we were struggling with making wind power lucrative. Denmark's biggest power country just sold all their north sea oil platforms. Their wind power farms are now more lucrative.

Wind power is lucrative only because grid operators are forced to buy it first, and at any price, regardless of what it is actually worth. The wholesale price of electricity in Europe is now frequently negative when the wind blows - the power produced by those windmills is literally worth less than nothing - but the grid operators are required to buy it anyway for political reasons. The problem here is that the politicians are keen to be seen to do something to increase the use of renewable energy - rather than being keen to actually do something to decrease CO2 emissions, which is a completely different objective.

Compare France and Germany on this map. France has low CO2 emissions; Germany spends a LOT of money on increasing the amount of renewable energy used. It is VERY clear which of these is an effective strategy for the environment.

Wind power is lucrative only because grid operators are forced to buy it first, and at any price, regardless of what it is actually worth. The wholesale price of electricity in Europe is now frequently negative when the wind blows - the power produced by those windmills is literally worth less than nothing - but the grid operators are required to buy it anyway for political reasons. The problem here is that the politicians are keen to be seen to do something to increase the use of renewable energy - rather than being keen to actually do something to decrease CO2 emissions, which is a completely different objective.

Compare France and Germany on this map. France has low CO2 emissions; Germany spends a LOT of money on increasing the amount of renewable energy used. It is VERY clear which of these is an effective strategy for the environment.

I don't think that's true anymore regarding wind. Sure, it's limited to where it is windy (duh). Denmark is windy as hell. Soon half of Denmark's power consumption will be from off shore wind farms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_power_in_Denmark

Poland is another place very windy. They're expanding wind power aggressively. Now about 5% of all their power consumption is wind. And this is a development just, the last couple of years. Nah, you're sitting on old information. They've solved the wind engineering problems now. Whatever issues they had regarding scale has been solved. They're churning these out now and they're all getting their money back. It's all about size. Small wind power plants is hard to make a profit on. But it's a different thing entirely for the big ones. In the 90'ies a common comment was that no wind power plants had generated more electricity than it had taken to put them up. Well... duh. If you're at that moment rapidly expanding wind power capabilities, and take a mean, the newer wind power stations are going to to warp the data. But now 25 years later, we're still expanding wind power capabilities aggressively, but the proportion of new power plants is smaller than the overall capacity. So now the numbers look completely different. A wind power station has a 25 year lifespan. So now we have the numbers on those 90'ies power stations, and it's looking way better than expected.

As far as the difference between France and Germany. France has aggressively pursued nuclear power. While not renewable, we're not going to run out of uranium for millennia. We've got places on Earth heated because of spontaneously reacting uranium. As long as we have that situation, we're better off putting it to use than having nature piss it away by themselves.

I'm a pragmatic. I'm for whatever works. Obviously we need to get away from coal and oil because... the planet. As long as we replace it with something that doesn't churn out CO2, I'm less interested in how we do it. Why not nuclear AND renewables?

Fun fact, France is only aggressively pursuing nuclear because they don't have oil or coal. Poland has loads of coal. I find it interesting how countries with a certain resource will find a way to justify the morality of using it, and denounce other countries immorality. Climate change denial seems to be more related to what cheap power the country has access to, rather than any actual care about the environment. And it's population will parrot the same opinions. That is worrying.

Sweden can afford being all green since it has loads of water power. Denmark is windy as fuck.

I don't think that's true anymore regarding wind. Sure, it's limited to where it is windy (duh). Denmark is windy as hell. Soon half of Denmark's power consumption will be from off shore wind farms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_power_in_Denmark

Poland is another place very windy. They're expanding wind power aggressively. Now about 5% of all their power consumption is wind. And this is a development just, the last couple of years. Nah, you're sitting on old information. They've solved the wind engineering problems now. Whatever issues they had regarding scale has been solved. They're churning these out now and they're all getting their money back. It's all about size. Small wind power plants is hard to make a profit on. But it's a different thing entirely for the big ones. In the 90'ies a common comment was that no wind power plants had generated more electricity than it had taken to put them up. Well... duh. If you're at that moment rapidly expanding wind power capabilities, and take a mean, the newer wind power stations are going to to warp the data. But now 25 years later, we're still expanding wind power capabilities aggressively, but the proportion of new power plants is smaller than the overall capacity. So now the numbers look completely different. A wind power station has a 25 year lifespan. So now we have the numbers on those 90'ies power stations, and it's looking way better than expected.
This reads like you saw that I was objecting to wind power, and delivered a knee-jerk response based on the incorrect assumption that I believe that windmills don't generate lots of electricity.

They do. But they generate it when it is needless, and as a result is worth less than nothing. Because when the wind blows in Denmark, it blows EVERYWHERE in Denmark. And when the wind is calm in Denmark, all of Denmark is becalmed. Electricity prices follow that trend; so Danish wind power is only worth paying for when it isn't available.
As far as the difference between France and Germany. France has aggressively pursued nuclear power. While not renewable, we're not going to run out of uranium for millennia. We've got places on Earth heated because of spontaneously reacting uranium.

I'm a pragmatic. I'm for whatever works. Obviously we need to get away from coal and oil because... the planet. As long as we replace it with something that doesn't churn out CO2, I'm less interested in how we do it. Why not nuclear AND renewables?
That's fine. But the proportion of renewables in that mix can only be very small before they become non-viable economically.
Fun fact, France is only aggressively pursuing nuclear because they don't have oil or coal.
France had plenty of coal; And they are NOT pursuing nuclear power at all - they are edging away from it, after several decades of trouble-free, cheap, low-carbon power generation. Which is bloody stupid.
Poland has loads of coal. I find it interesting how countries with a certain resource will find a way to justify the morality of using it, and denounce other countries immorality. Climate change denial seems to be more related to what cheap power the country has access to, rather than any actual care about the environment. And it's population will parrot the same opinions. That is worrying.
Yeah, there's loads of bullshit about. But it all serves to obscure two simple, obvious, and easily checked facts:

1) The goal needs to be minimizing emissions (and not just at certain optimum points in time, but throughout the long term), while keeping the lights on. Maximizing renewables may not be a good way to achieve that.

2) The nations that have low emissions are all using nuclear power, or hydro power, or both. The ONLY generation technologies that show a clear negative correlation with long-term (ie monthly or longer) CO2 emissions are nuclear and hydro power.
Sweden can afford being all green since it has loads of water power. Denmark is windy as fuck.

Sweden also has lots of nuclear power. Norway is green without nuclear, but Sweden and Norway are uniquely suited to large scale hydro power. Neither country is making power from the wind to a significant degree.

Denmark sometimes makes lots of wind power; But when it is calm, Danish power is either gas power, or coal power purchased from Germany. Gas is better than coal, but then, EVERYTHING is better than coal; That doesn't make gas a good option.

Check out that link from my last post. That's real time data, so check it once in a while, and see which strategies are ACTUALLY green - which countries actually produce low CO2 power, consistently. CO2 is all that matters. Bullshit about 'wind generated 150% of our requirements yesterday' is just that - I don't care about one day, I care about overall emissions over the long term, because that is the ONLY thing that actually affects the climate.

Sweden also has lots of nuclear power. Norway is green without nuclear, but Sweden and Norway are uniquely suited to large scale hydro power. Neither country is making power from the wind to a significant degree.

There's the high Scandinavian mountain range that sits right between Norway and Sweden, the whole length of Norway. That mountain range kills pretty much all wind. Wind power is only viable on the extreme southern tip of Sweden, Scania. Which is today covered in wind power.

Norway has a great untapped potential for hydro power.

I am wondering how will transport i.e. 1,2, 5, 10 tonne type trucks be replaced by electric? Its one thing to replace passenger vehicles.

What are the thoughts on trucks? The weight would greatly reduce range.

Tesla is working on it.
Elon Musk: Tesla will reveal semi-truck 'beast' next month

But I think electric propulsion would have most impact with vehicles that make frequent stops, because of use of regenerative breaking and no need for idling. Thus mail/FedEx/UPS trucks, delivery vehicles, even buses would benefit greatly from electrification.

You are a strange person. Such a warped sense of reality

LOL, it's not me, it's you.

Single human being in terms of energy needs 250 grams of fat equivalent of food. Basically 250 grams of oil/butter.
Car in US on average is driven 40 miles per day, that' a gallon of fuel a day. 10 times more than human.
Biofuel can not, I repeat can not replace current oil consumption on any meaningful scale.

You presented what seemed a good argument about the effect of cold climates until I read the following analysis.
Google Scholar search of Research Review of Electric Vehicles: 2017 International Conference on Mechanical Engineering and Control Automation (ICMECA 2017) suggests electrics compare very well in low temps compared to ICE as shown in table 2. (its a personal pdf article for each who completes scholar search for the article.)

I will have to check out the paper if I can find it. But for now, I do not see how anything they can write will change the fact that an ICE car gets its heat free (because ICEs generate a lot of heat whether the outside temperature is 0°F or 100. Thus wanting to heat the passenger compartment will always come with energy penalty for an electric but not for an ICE.

That is not to knock electric cars. I am a big fan. I am just skeptical that it should be Nordic countries who convert to all electric first.

You really need to educate yourself a little.

Back
Top Bottom