• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Europe submits voluntarily

Status
Not open for further replies.
"People should be treated as people"

So "Islamic State" fighters should be allowed to return home? We can't strip them of citizenship? That's the kind of thing where the liberal side would demand that we treat people "humanely", whereas I would just say that they have become enemies in war and they have given up citizenship by their own actions.

If a citizen runs over to the enemy in war, you can and should court-martial him for treason, or if no war has been declared try him for war crimes. There are clear precedents, and they don't involve stripping someone of their citizenship. I'm not saying former Daesh fighters should be handled with silk gloves. British fascist  John_Amery, most notable for his attempts to form a British volunteer corpse fighting on the German side in WWII, was hanged for treason but kept his citizenship.

A natural-born citizen is a natural-born citizen with the same set of rights and responsibilities, whether his ancestors immigrated from Pakistan or the Caribbean in the 1950s, from Ireland in the 1840s, from France in the 1690s, from Portugal in the 1510s or from Frisian lands in the 660s, whether they were Muslims, Catholics, Huguenots, Jews or pagans. This is a very basic principle of modern societies. If you want to change that, you're questioning the very basis of our civil arrangement - exactly what you're accusing Islamists of! You of course have the right to do so, but do it explicitly. If you make special rules for some but not other citizens, effectively creating two grades of citizenship one of which is preserved for Whites, you're emulating apartheid era South Africa, so go ahead and give credit where credit is due!

Or we can't have surveillance on many mosques specifically, (and not other religions), when the Islamic religion appears to be generating more of a terrorism problem? Because that's the kind of thing where the liberal side will say that "rights" are being violated.

If there's good reason to do so in a specific case, go ahead. If you do it as an excuse to harass Muslims and Muslims only, ignoring actual data that shows that most terrorists are in fact not integrated in any mosque community, that specifically ISIS volunteers tend to have no history of strong religious commitment but are rather recruited directly to the cause, mostly through the internet, then doing so isn't going to help.

Or we can't decide who we do or don't let in as immigrants? Because that's also the kind of thing where liberals will say that "rights" are being violated.

Or we can't expect that immigrants should be under a duty to integrate? We should just put up with--at the hard end--just blatantly traitorous actions from inside the Muslim population? (Going to fight for an enemy entity, or openly saying that they want to replace the system of government with a foreign religious system.)

What does a "duty to integrate" even mean?

A fringe extremist with no significant following within the community or society at large who openly says that he wants to replace the system of government honestly scares me less than a successful politician who'll only say so behind closed doors. Where I live (Austria) the latter polled 26% in last year's elections and occupy important positions in our coalition government!

Talking about blatantly traitorous actions: Some of our ministers belong to cultlike fraternities with a pan-German ideology who more or less openly want to repeat the Anschluss, and thus deny the right to exist of the country they're meant to serve!

Call me again when Islamist extremists have anywhere near one tenth that influence in any Western European country. I might start to get worried then.

Last edited:
If a citizen runs over to the enemy in war, you can and should court-martial him for treason, or if no war has been declared try him for war crimes.

No one has been prosecuted for treason that I'm aware of, and you may not necessarily have evidence for any particular person's behaviour in a war zone. (As distinct from having the evidence that they joined the group.)

There are clear precedents, and they don't involve stripping someone of their citizenship. I'm not saying former Daesh fighters should be handled with silk gloves. British fascist  John_Amery, most notable for his attempts to form a British volunteer corpse fighting on the German side in WWII, was hanged for treason but kept his citizenship.

But that's completely different of course. If you are hanging people for treason, it makes only symbolic difference whether you also strip them of citizenship. And liberals will not let you hang people either, so that's not going to help!

If you don't either kill them or remove citizenship, then an enemy in war can just come back inside your country.

A natural-born citizen is a natural-born citizen with the same set of rights and responsibilities, whether his ancestors immigrated from Pakistan or the Caribbean in the 1950s, from Ireland in the 1840s, from France in the 1690s, from Portugal in the 1510s or from Frisian lands in the 660s, whether they were Muslims, Catholics, Huguenots, Jews or pagans. This is a very basic principle of modern societies. If you want to change that

Actually nothing I said requires treating people differently based on their ancestors. Surely we could also strip white ethnic europeans of their citizenship in such cases. It's not even a hypothetical. I'm pretty sure there are real cases of them going out to fight.

you're questioning the very basis of our civil arrangement - exactly what you're accusing Islamists of! You of course have the right to do so, but do it explicitly. If you make special rules for some but not other citizens, effectively creating two grades of citizenship one of which is preserved for Whites, you're emulating apartheid era South Africa, so go ahead and give credit where credit is due!

But that's not needed at all for stripping citizenship.

Also, making even quite big changes to society, (let's get rid of the monarachy say), is not the same as someone with immigrant ethnic heritage wanting to do a complete replacement job of your system using their outside culture. That would just be an obvious attack of culture from the outside and quite different to normal political development from the inside. It may be difficult to say *exactly* what the rules should be in such cases; but that doesn't mean it's difficult to see clear cases of immigrants being traitors. See for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61KsT5YixF0

I'm fairly sure you will say we just have to accept people like that. It's their "free speech", "freedom of religion".

If there's good reason to do so in a specific case, go ahead. If you do it as an excuse to harass Muslims and Muslims only, ignoring actual data that shows that most terrorists are in fact not integrated in any mosque community, that specifically ISIS volunteers tend to have no history of strong religious commitment but are rather recruited directly to the cause, mostly through the internet, then doing so isn't going to help.

Something I found interesting on this:

"A loose oversight over mosques is what contributes to the rise of Islamist terrorism in Europe, an UAE minister warned. He then called on Germany and its neighbors to introduce stricter regulation over Muslim prayer halls to prevent radicalization.

“You can’t just leave a mosque open and allow anyone to go there and to preach. You need to have licences,” Sheikh Nahyan bin Mubarak Al-Nahyan, the minister for tolerance of the United Arab Emirates (UAE), told Germany’s DPA news agency as he commented on the security situation in Europe. He added that the governmental noninvolvement into the activities of religious communities is what has led to the rapid rise of extremism.

Muslims in Germany as well as in the neighboring France, Belgium and the UK had been radicalized exactly due to the fact that authorities in these countries did not pay enough attention to what happened in the mosques on their territory, the minister argued. “Germany and other European states must eventually exert stricter control over such meeting places of Islamists,” he said."

https://www.rt.com/news/409880-germany-mosques-surveillance-uae/

If you make special rules for some but not other citizens, effectively creating two grades of citizenship one of which is preserved for Whites, you're emulating apartheid era South Africa, so go ahead and give credit where credit is due!

I already mentioned that you don't actually need to create "two grades of citizenship" to do what I was suggesting; but let me pick you up on this point.

The issue with South Africa, is that they gave a massive advantage to people that weren't indigenous. It's not automatically the same thing to give some advantage to indigenous people. For example, you may be able to give some sorts of advantages to Native Americans without it being, "another South Africa". Don't they deserve some special control over the land perhaps?

And again, if you actually did give some sort of advantage to ethnic Europeans in Europe, (e.g. not as quick to remove their citizenship), it wouldn't be the 2nd coming of South Africa just because of that. It may perhaps be a bad path to go down, or be unfair. But it's really not that like South Africa. But to be clear-- I wouldn't want white European "Islamic State" fighters coming back home either. It's not a race thing. Rather, they are all a potential threat. And just on principle they are traitors so we don't even need to justify them as being a threat.

And just on principle they are traitors so we don't even need to justify them as being a threat.

Traitors vs traitors?
The treason that needs attention most urgently, is emanating from the White House.

No one has been prosecuted for treason that I'm aware of,

I'm not a lawyer but my best guess is that if that is so, it's probably mostly for formal reasons: In order to prosecute someone for treason, you need to be in a declared state of war, and formally declaring war on ISIS smells of recognising them as a state-like actor which Britain and other countries are avoiding for good reason. You can still prosecute them for crimes against humanity, membership in a criminal organisation, or plain old murder in front of a civilian court, and that has been done.

and you may not necessarily have evidence for any particular person's behaviour in a war zone. (As distinct from having the evidence that they joined the group.)

If you don't have evidence of crimes, you can't convict. If all you know is that a person took a flight to Eastern Turkey and then went off radar for a year and a half, and posted some offensive shit on twitter before they left that can be construed as supporting ISIS, you can try a hate speech trial over those posts, but that's about it. As it should be. It's called "burden of proof", you can google it. If you want to live in a country that punishes people on the mere suspicion that they committed a crime, there's unfortunately plenty of places on this planet you can choose from!

If however you want to convert Europe into such a place, I'll put up a fight. I'm not ready to surrender Europe to those who want to turn it into a shithole.

But that's completely different of course. If you are hanging people for treason, it makes only symbolic difference whether you also strip them of citizenship. And liberals will not let you hang people either, so that's not going to help!

How is that completely different? The main instigator was hanged, as was the costumary in those days. But the brigade he created, though not the success he had hoped, had several dozen members over the years. Some of them died in battle, some of them came home without being tried due to insufficient evidence, some of them received much lighter sentences than he did.

The situation is exactly the same, of course: A citizen fighting on the enemy side is tried and punished as a citizen, with the severity of the punishment depending on the level of evidence and the severity of his crimes and the applicable legal code.

If you don't either kill them or remove citizenship, then an enemy in war can just come back inside your country.

If there's evidence of criminal activity, you can put him in jail. If there is none but you still have reason to suspect he might become a danger, you keep him under observation.

As with any other crime, you don't get to incarcerate people, least of all your own citizens because they might become a danger in the future. There were 571 homicides in England and Wales in the year ending March 2016 (many more than terrorist victims). Could some of them have been prevented by preemptively incarcerating (or expelling) anyone showing aggressive tendencies? Almost certainly, probably many. But in a free society, that's considered a price too high to pay (and a higher price it is than in the case of a rather miniscule terrorism risk!).

A natural-born citizen is a natural-born citizen with the same set of rights and responsibilities, whether his ancestors immigrated from Pakistan or the Caribbean in the 1950s, from Ireland in the 1840s, from France in the 1690s, from Portugal in the 1510s or from Frisian lands in the 660s, whether they were Muslims, Catholics, Huguenots, Jews or pagans. This is a very basic principle of modern societies. If you want to change that

Actually nothing I said requires treating people differently based on their ancestors. Surely we could also strip white ethnic europeans of their citizenship in such cases. It's not even a hypothetical. I'm pretty sure there are real cases of them going out to fight.

you're questioning the very basis of our civil arrangement - exactly what you're accusing Islamists of! You of course have the right to do so, but do it explicitly. If you make special rules for some but not other citizens, effectively creating two grades of citizenship one of which is preserved for Whites, you're emulating apartheid era South Africa, so go ahead and give credit where credit is due!

But that's not needed at all for stripping citizenship.

Also, making even quite big changes to society, (let's get rid of the monarachy say), is not the same as someone with immigrant ethnic heritage wanting to do a complete replacement job of your system using their outside culture. That would just be an obvious attack of culture from the outside and quite different to normal political development from the inside.

It is exactly the same. Care to explicate one relevant way in which they're different?

It may be difficult to say *exactly* what the rules should be in such cases; but that doesn't mean it's difficult to see clear cases of immigrants being traitors. See for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61KsT5YixF0

I'm fairly sure you will say we just have to accept people like that. It's their "free speech", "freedom of religion".

Something I found interesting on this:

"A loose oversight over mosques is what contributes to the rise of Islamist terrorism in Europe, an UAE minister warned. He then called on Germany and its neighbors to introduce stricter regulation over Muslim prayer halls to prevent radicalization.

“You can’t just leave a mosque open and allow anyone to go there and to preach. You need to have licences,” Sheikh Nahyan bin Mubarak Al-Nahyan, the minister for tolerance of the United Arab Emirates (UAE), told Germany’s DPA news agency as he commented on the security situation in Europe. He added that the governmental noninvolvement into the activities of religious communities is what has led to the rapid rise of extremism.

Muslims in Germany as well as in the neighboring France, Belgium and the UK had been radicalized exactly due to the fact that authorities in these countries did not pay enough attention to what happened in the mosques on their territory, the minister argued. “Germany and other European states must eventually exert stricter control over such meeting places of Islamists,” he said."

https://www.rt.com/news/409880-germany-mosques-surveillance-uae/

I see your rt and raise you nytimes:
"ISIS and the Lonely Young American
Alex, a 23-year-old Sunday school teacher and babysitter, was trembling with excitement the day she told her Twitter followers that she had converted to Islam.

For months, she had been growing closer to a new group of friends online — the most attentive she had ever had — who were teaching her what it meant to be a Muslim. Increasingly, they were telling her about the Islamic State and how the group was building a homeland in Syria and Iraq where the holy could live according to God’s law.

One in particular, Faisal, had become her nearly constant companion, spending hours each day with her on Twitter, Skype and email, painstakingly guiding her through the fundamentals of the faith.

But when she excitedly told him that she had found a mosque just five miles from the home she shared with her grandparents in rural Washington State, he suddenly became cold.

The only Muslims she knew were those she had met online, and he encouraged her to keep it that way, arguing that Muslims are persecuted in the United States. She could be labeled a terrorist, he warned, and for now it was best for her to keep her conversion secret, even from her family." (emphasis added)​

Recruiters for ISIS targetting Westerners (and that includes Westerners with an ethnic background) don't want their targets to exchange themselves with their local mosques. They know that would likely move them away from their interpretation of Islam, and carry the risk of them being reported to the authorities if they defend it explicitly. The details differ when the target is not a Christian but someone who already identified as a Muslim prior to contact, but the rough outlines are the same: They'll do what they can to isolate him from his community and family and paint those as apostates.

Last edited:
(and a higher price it is than in the case of a rather miniscule terrorism risk!).

Just to harp on this point a bit longer: The number of homicides in England and Wales in the year ending March 2016 exceeds the combined terrorism-related deaths in all of the UK since the year 1990! And that figure contains more IRA than Islamist attacks.

Numbers from here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorism_in_the_United_Kingdom

If a citizen runs over to the enemy in war, you can and should court-martial him for treason, or if no war has been declared try him for war crimes. There are clear precedents, and they don't involve stripping someone of their citizenship. I'm not saying former Daesh fighters should be handled with silk gloves. British fascist  John_Amery, most notable for his attempts to form a British volunteer corpse fighting on the German side in WWII, was hanged for treason but kept his citizenship.

Our stripping of citizenship stems from when we didn't do dual citizenship.

If you take up arms under a foreign banner you are showing that you follow that nation. Since our law didn't allow you to have two citizenships that meant yours was stripped, even with no official act on your part. (Note that even now a citizen of a country that doesn't permit dual citizenship loses their citizenship by taking another. My wife did nothing to get rid of her Chinese citizenship, but by naturalizing here she was no longer a citizen of China.)

We now accept dual citizenship in most cases (being a dual citizen is a problem for a few government jobs and for very high level security clearances) but the law that choosing to serve in a foreign army revokes it remains. (Note that we do not count national service requirements as revoking it.)

Call me again when Islamist extremists have anywhere near one tenth that influence in any Western European country. I might start to get worried then.

The problem is the danger they pose, not their influence.

If you take up arms under a foreign banner you are showing that you follow that nation.

Daesh is not a nation and does not have the authority to grant citizenship, so even with that rationalisation it doesn't work here. While international law recognises that countries can have rules against dual citizenship and thus revoke someone's citizenship when he takes up another, there are very provisions that no country shall create new stateless persons by revoking the citizenship of someone who has no other.

ETA: This may not fully apply to the US who is not a signatory of the UN Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness. The UK, however, is, as are most (all?) other European countries. The UK reserved the right to revoke citizenship of naturalised persons (but not of natural-born Britons, which includes Britons with funny names) if that person
"(i) Has, in disregard of an express prohibition of
Her Britannic Majesty, rendered or continued to render
services to, or received or continued to receive
emoluments from, another State, or
"(ii) Has conducted himself in a manner seriously
prejudicial to the vital interests of Her Britannic Majesty."​

(i) doesn't apply simply because Daesh is a non-state actor, (ii) might apply on a case-by-case basis but only for naturalised citizens, not for natural born. But summarily stripping anyone with an association with Daesh of their citizenship, however, is clearly against not only British law but also in breach of international treaties.

Why do rightwingers hate our legal system so much?

Last edited:
The problem is the danger they pose, not their influence.

Total terrorism death's in the United Kingdom since about 1990, the larger part of which the IRA's victims in the 1990s ~= annual homicide victims in England and Wales alone. Methinks you're overreacting a bit here.

Talking about blatantly traitorous actions: Some of our ministers belong to cultlike fraternities with a pan-German ideology who more or less openly want to repeat the Anschluss, and thus deny the right to exist of the country they're meant to serve!

So does that mean all the officials in European governments who were appalled by Brexit because they want to evolve their countries in the opposite direction -- towards a United States of Europe -- are blatantly traitorous too? I doubt if your Anschluss wannabes have even one tenth of the influence of the "tighter integration of the EU" supporters. (And imagining that a marriage of German monetary policy with Italian fiscal policy was going to work in the long run has to have taken some pretty cultlike thinking...)

If you take up arms under a foreign banner you are showing that you follow that nation.

Daesh is not a nation and does not have the authority to grant citizenship, so even with that rationalisation it doesn't work here. While international law recognises that countries can have rules against dual citizenship and thus revoke someone's citizenship when he takes up another, there are very provisions that no country shall create new stateless persons by revoking the citizenship of someone who has no other.

ETA: This may not fully apply to the US who is not a signatory of the UN Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness. The UK, however, is, as are most (all?) other European countries. The UK reserved the right to revoke citizenship of naturalised persons (but not of natural-born Britons, which includes Britons with funny names) if that person

(i) doesn't apply simply because Daesh is a non-state actor, (ii) might apply on a case-by-case basis but only for naturalised citizens, not for natural born. But summarily stripping anyone with an association with Daesh of their citizenship, however, is clearly against not only British law but also in breach of international treaties.

The same question should be asked of leftists. Why do they hate Western Democracy freedoms and culture our fore fathers fought and died for in two World Wars and defend those who wish to destroy it!,

So does that mean all the officials in European governments who were appalled by Brexit because they want to evolve their countries in the opposite direction -- towards a United States of Europe -- are blatantly traitorous too?

No. The two situations are not morally equivalent. Arguing that the classical nation state as such is to some extent an outdated concept that made sense in the 19th century but no longer in the 21st and should shed some of its functions is not a fiendish or traitorous act against a particular nation state. Arguing that the nation state as such is the best invention ever since walking on two legs (or even failing to understand that it is a notion that's grown historically and rather recently at that) but that this particular nation is an accident of history that should be undone is.

It's almost like the difference between advocating for a negotiated end to the war vs. aiding the enemy in battle. Now, some totalitarian regimes might try to construe both as equivalent, but I hope we can agree that objectively only one qualifies as treason.

Of course, you can accuse the advocates of the former that they aren't going far enough, that the United States of Europe they envision would still have most of the nation-state features they criticise only at a different level. I wouldn't necessarily argue against you here. But equivalent they are not.

I doubt if your Anschluss wannabes have even one tenth of the influence of the "tighter integration of the EU" supporters.

In Austria? 18 of 183 members of parliament (18 of 51 members delegated by the FPÖ, or almost half their their male members) are organised in deutschnationale Burschenschaften. That's one of the two parties in our governing coalition, and the FPÖ ministers, whether themselves organisded or not, are not shy to heave their fraternity buddies into well-cushioned high level administratives positions wherever they get the chance. (Incidentally that makes them overrepresented in parliament relative to the population at large by a factor of over 200 -- it's estimated that no more than 4000 out of our population of 8.7 million are schlagende Burschenschafter.)

(And imagining that a marriage of German monetary policy with Italian fiscal policy was going to work in the long run has to have taken some pretty cultlike thinking...)

Being overly optimistic still isn't treason.

Last edited:

The same question should be asked of leftists. Why do they hate Western Democracy freedoms and culture our fore fathers fought and died for in two World Wars and defend those who wish to destroy it!,

Which "freedoms" are you talking about? Did your forefathers fight and die for the freedom to treat citizens with funny names and dark faces as second class citizens who can be stripped of their citizenship on mere suspicion? Were they Klan members or Wehrmacht soldiers? (Some of mine were the latter, but that doesn't obligate me to defend their positions, does it?)

The UK has ratified the UN Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness back in 1966 (and Austria in 1972, Australia in 1973, Germany in 1977,...). Ever since then, those countries are bound by international treaty not to strip a citizen of his citizenship if doing so would leave him stateless (this may already have been stipulated by local laws even longer). That's part of our "Democracy freedoms": We consider citizenship a right, not a temporary privilege granted and revoked by the authorities at will. If you want to argue that this situation needs to be amended, feel free to do so. If however you try to deceive your audience that you're "defending our civil rights and liberties" by doing so, you'll be called out for it as indeed you're attacking (or should I say "wishing to destroy"?) them in at least one point.

Comparing Wermacht soldiers to KKK members is a false equivalence. KKK is equivalent to the SS.

Arguably.
However, Wehrmacht soldiers still fought and died for a similar set of ideals -- even if they didn't fully choose to do so.

Wehrmacht soldiers, just like the soldiers of Islam fought for a supremacist ideology. Had the Western Democracies lost the war, Nazis today would be allied with the mullahs and anti West forces of evil. I don't doubt that eventually the Nazis would conquer all of the Middle East.

While Daesh didn't really have the a proper government they acted like a state.

While Daesh didn't really have the a proper government they acted like a state.

That doesn't mean it's right or desirable to recognise them as a state, which stripping domestic ISIS fighters of their citizenship with the justification that they were soldiers of a foreign nation, fighting under a foreign flag -- instead of declaring them members of a criminal organisation -- would implicitly do.

That doesn't mean it's right or desirable to recognise them as a state, which stripping domestic ISIS fighters of their citizenship with the justification that they were soldiers of a foreign nation, fighting under a foreign flag -- instead of declaring them members of a criminal organisation -- would implicitly do.

They certainly were fighting under a foreign flag.

And note that nobody wants their Daesh fighters back.

They certainly were fighting under a foreign flag.

And note that nobody wants their Daesh fighters back.

A flag does not a nation make.

Also referring to ISIS/ISIL as a nation is a form of legitimization.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom