• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Flat-Earth Resurgence

Gravity is the biggest indicator. That gravity always pulls directly down no matter where you stand on the earth is the bigest indicator that the world is round, nothing else would make sense. If the world were flat on top and round on the botton, gravity would constantly continue to pull you into the center, meaning its effects would not be distributed evenly across an uneven surface. No math, just basic fucking sense. =/

NASA would like to have a word with you.

Gravity pulls almost straight down but not exactly. (The problem is a lot worse on the moon--and will bring down just about any satellite placed in lunar orbit. The lunar modules were abandoned in lunar orbit--and aren't there any more.)

Gravity is the biggest indicator. That gravity always pulls directly down no matter where you stand on the earth is the bigest indicator that the world is round, nothing else would make sense. If the world were flat on top and round on the botton, gravity would constantly continue to pull you into the center, meaning its effects would not be distributed evenly across an uneven surface. No math, just basic fucking sense. =/

Yeah, you see, gravity isn't real either. Shit just falls towards the Earth because God made it that way.

Except for the Sun and the Moon. They just float around up there for no good reason.

It seems that flat-earthers focus almost exclusively on one piece of evidence -- the horizon. That's actually one of the weakest evidences for a globe Earth. The best evidence is obtained by looking up, first and foremost being the motion of the sun in the sky and then the position of the stars. There is no flat-earth model that exists that can explain the sunset, the overall movement of the sun in the sky, the stars that can be viewed or even the existence of a south celestial pole. Arguing over whether certain things can be seen over the horizon and how much refraction is in play is interesting, but ultimately is secondary to a proper proof. Of course, trying to explain this to flat-earthers is like describing colors to a blind person. Sigh...

Give me one argument not to believe that actual adults in their thousands believe the Earth is flat and NASA invented trigonometry!
It's not that they believe it's flat for the sake of it being flat, it's the human need to be on the INSIDE of an IN joke. To be one of the enlightened, not one of the fooled.
One or two people out of every hundred Flat Earthers are there because of the scripture that describes a flat earth, or they fell for some other argument, the rest just want to be able to sneer at people who buy into the government's lies. And you KNOW the government lies.

"I hope life is not a joke. Because I don't get it."
- Jack Handey

I lived in the UK for 24 years; and have lived in Australia for a further 23. I can assure you that, viewed from the UK, the rising full moon always appears a particular way up; and that when you view the same thing from Australia, it always appears a different way up - almost completely upside down, compared to how it looks from the UK.

Major constellations along the celestial equator - notably Orion - are also the opposite way up when viewed from Australia; And our sundials run backwards, as the sun passes to the north at midday - at least when south of the tropic of Capricorn.

All of these simple observations, that I can personally attest to, can have only one explanation:- the Earth is approximately spherical I am getting immensely wealthy shilling for big sphere.

What does a flat-earther have to say about when, during a lunar eclipse, the Earth's *round* shadow moves across the Moon?

What does a flat-earther have to say about when, during a lunar eclipse, the Earth's *round* shadow moves across the Moon?

On a Flat Earth, the Earth cannot be what is causing the shadow on the Moon because the Moon never goes behind the Earth, and even if it did, it wouldn't be observable from anywhere on the flat disk. Therefore the shadow is not being caused by the Earth, but would have to either be caused by some unseen object in the sky between the Sun and the Moon or the darkening of the Moon is some intrinsic characteristic of the Moon itself.

One more thing to drive the flat earthers nuts: The zone of totality during the upcoming eclipse is decidedly non-round.

Forget about getting them to try to wrap their heads around angles of distant bodies, what about the idea that many travellers, airline companies and all their staff would have to be in on the secret too. If they have a route that brings them back to their starting point, compasses would show only one general direction during their flights.

Are all planets supposed to be flat, or just earth?

So where exactly is the end(s) of the earth, so one may go there and see it?

Back
Top Bottom