• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Foodie Thread

NO BAKING!!! Baked Mac and Cheese is ridiculously stupid!

That depends. Do you just want plain old macaroni cheese, or do you want a magnificent cheese crust on top to add some texture to the (no doubt already delicious, but still ...) flavour?
Crust and mac and cheese are not compatible. Cheese should never be crusted! Who likes to overbake pizzas so that all the cheese is brown and flavorless?

It defeats the whole point of having the cheese involved. Without moisture, the cheese lacks the flavor and gooeyness that makes it so cheesy. The only reason to have the stuff in the over, is when it is set to low to keep the food warm.

To avoid making "plain old" mac and cheese, you need to find a nice mix of cheeses, which I think I've done with the gouda, havarti, and parmesan.

Chacun son gout.

I like a good crust on my macaroni. Not, as you say, "without moisture" and lacking flavour and gooeyness. Just baked enough to give a thin crust on top, while retaining moisture and flavour. Grilling works, too.

Beautiful Gelatin Desserts

jellomolds_01.jpg

tumblr_n2jpnnV4vD1s6ww64o1_540.jpg

187BC94050A9A3D32C2624

KaW_sGN6hWJxzFPoYIiNBF1y4u8oZrC8Pyz9ruW_OVKrDXkNApNja5XFQPvaAdfvsvSbzMTilDU7vVnXehmApsc=s0

ornage-spice.jpg

54f66b0d6af57_-_butterscotch-jello-shots-we-are-not-martha-del1214-s2.jpg

3bb81f7cc43f4175bee7aea3d0cd1b1a.jpg.700x0_q85_autocrop_crop-smart_upscale.jpg

c91e20a21df0709ecaf5ba8c3aea6a85.jpg

Sunday Lunch

Artichoke, Tomato & Broccoli Salad with Chorizo.

Starter 6th December.jpg

Meatballs & Mushy Peas

Main Course 6th December.jpg

Malteser Supreme

Dessert 6th December.jpg

Daughter's b-day again. Made Mac and Cheese 3.0 and Mock Chicken Salad.

Mac and Cheese 3.0

The sauce is 1/4 cup flour, 3 tbsp butter melted together in a saucepan. Then add 2 cups of milk, whisking thoroughly to combine. Heat the milk mixture slowly. Once warm enough to melt cheese, add about 1/2 pound gouda cheese (shredded), 1/3 pound of havarti cheese (shredded), and 1/2 cup shredded parmesan. I think the weights are about right. Season with black pepper. Pour over pasta once you finish cooking the pasta. NO BAKING!!! Baked Mac and Cheese is ridiculously stupid! You wouldn't boil ice cream, would you?!

This combines all the right cheeses for a perfect mac and cheese that adults and children can enjoy.
That was 0.4 lbs of both gouda and havarti.

I'm really thinking gouda makes a perfect cheese for pasta. Made ravioli last night. Used half a container of ricotta cheese, quarter pound of finely chopped gouda, and probably 3/4 cup of shredded mozzarella. Gouda seems to have the mixture of tanginess and creaminess to add the right flavor.

Birthday Meal

Mackerel Pate with Red Onion & Tomato Salad

54th Birthday Meal Mackerel Pate.jpg

Broccoli Mushroom & Stilton Soup

54th Birthday Broccoli and Mushroom with Stilton Soup.jpg

Chicken stuffed with Stilton Tomato and Garlic Pork Pate & Wrapped in Ham in Red Wine

54th Birthday Meal Chicken stuffed with Stilton Tomato and Garlic Pate.jpg

Mango Trifle.

54th Birthday Meal Mango Trifle.jpg

Xmas Brunch is the new tradition. Did it last year, but it was relatively simple, except for the great cinnamon rolls my wife makes. I took it up a notch today and made pretty much a Four Star Brunch. This included an Egg Frittata, no pic... forgot to take a pic. It included browning a roll of sausage Gimme Lean in about 2 tbsp of butter. Once browned enough, added chopped up green pepper and cooked on medium for about 10 minutes, most of that to kill time. Then added 8 eggs which had probably 1/5 cup of coffee creamer added to it. Cooked this three minutes, then added small tomato slices to the top, and put into the oven for 15 minutes at 375.

The surprise for this meal was an additional item:
8140_10206861594272537_3005340936693945364_n.jpg

Homemade croissants, which were completely from scratch including the butter that was whipped from heavy cream. This included a ton of anxiety as I haven't tackled croissants before, but it went perfectly. Pretty much make dough, make thin slab of butter. Wrap dough in butter. Fold -> roll -> chill. Repeat three times then fold roll twice, then chill. Cut and roll the dough into croissants, then let rise. The directions I was using didn't have much in the way of pictures and I ended up making two different size rolls. They came out the same, both in cooked consistency and baking time. Recommend looking for Julia Child's The French Chef episode on croissants. You get an honest feel for how to make them on a live broadcast program.

Also made belgian waffles, which we really good, but we're a sideshow to the Brunch. Added some home whipped butter, blueberry sauce, a fruit salad (made by others), and I'm left exhausted from two days of intense work. But it was perfect... and then the cinnamon rolls came out. I don't think anyone on the planet had a better Xmas breakfast, that didn't have to pay a lot for it. Absolutely stoked about the results.

Took it "easy" today. Homemade spring rolls (with homemade wonton wrappers as no place had them this week!), mozzarella sticks, tortilla chips (why didn't anyone tell me it was easy to make those darn things?!).

I'm not cooking for a month now! Though looking forward to repurposing a couple croissants to make baked veggie turkey (St. Yves) sandwiches tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom