• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Foodie Thread

Made a quick and easy shepherd's pie casserole. Browned a couple pounds of ground beef and drained. Threw in a half chopped red onion, a bag of frozen carrots and peas, and a can of beef gravy and a can of brown gravy. Seasoned with seasoned salt, garlic powder and pepper, and simmered. put the mixture in a flat casserole dish, topped it with colby-jack cheese then a layer of prepared instant mashed potatoes. Put it in the oven at 350 until the potatoes on top start to brown.

Yummy and quick.

Er... if it's not lamb or mutton, it's a cottage pie, not a shepherd's pie.

Food nazi.

:moonie:

IIRC, a true cottage pie is made out chopped up left over roast meat from Sunday’s dinner, including the veg, and topped with mash potato.

Made some nut flour crackers. They're surprisingly good.

1 c nut flour
3 tsp white flour
1 c parmesan, save 1/4 c for topping
2 beaten eggs
1 tbsp olive oil
salt, pepper

Combine and mix all ingredients (minus the 1/4 c parmesan) to form a ball. Roll on parchment to as thin as possible. Spritz with olive oil and sprinkle salt and remaining parmesan. Use a pizza cutter to cut into squares. You can separate the squares if you want but not crucial. Bake for about 15 mins, keeping watch for burning edges.

As is always a hurdle with baked nut flour recipes, the texture is course and in spite of the eggs and small amount of wheat flour, they are more crumbly than snappy crisp, but they are firm and remain firm in soup, which is my main reason for wanting to make them.

I give these a 7/10 rating. They are very much like Wheat Thins if they made a parmesan flavor. The flavor is wonderful, but texture needs improvement. I might buy some additive gluten and see if that helps.

crackers1.jpg

crackers2.jpg

Made more, this time with cheddar cheese and seasoned with sage and onion. This batch is crispier with a bit more snap than the previous batch. Still not the greatest texture but that's to be expected from nut flours. The flavor is amazing and they crunch wonderfully in my salad.

crackers_cheddar_sage_onion.jpg

crackers_cheddar_sage_onion2.jpg

Felt adventurous so made some seitan today. That stuff really expands when you drop it into boiling water so I'm glad I only tried half a recipe. But it came out great, flavored the flour with broth and then added soy sauce to the water to simmer. Served it with some olives, capers, acorn squash and home made tomato soup. Never tried it before but it is quite easy and quick to make, just has to simmer for one hour.

a27d61c6fc7087ea25f14dd0fa7e84dd.jpg

My latest take on the S’mores Cake. This is going to be the final design.

Currently trying to figure out how to adapt into a cupcake. It couldn’t be served in a cupcake cup.

Looking at thread picture not showing of curry. Maybe it's just me but if not here it is again.

Curry

Chicken Curry With Broccoli & Potato.jpg

Vegetable stew of beef broth, onions, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, peas, corn, four kinds of canned beans. Almond flour cheese crackers, new recipe with four kinds of cheese, best recipe so far.

20191004_180731[6610].jpg 20191004_184931[6618].jpg

I was at the store and saw some nicely browned rolls. But they were like $5. I thought to myself... I don't want to spend $5 on rolls. So I grabbed a packet of yeast instead. Went online, found an awesome recipe for sweet rolls and made these. They look a bit like croissants, but they are just rolls. A note, these didn't rise a lot. Also, do keep an eye on them when they start to brown. They won't burn as quick as a croissant, but a few extra minutes could mean you wasted your time.

I did modify the recipe. It calls for you to put softened butter on the rolled out circle before you cut into wedge slices and roll up. That sounded messy. So I just used the extra butter and brushed it on top of the risen rolls before baking. The rolls have a wonderful cross section of buttery, sweet, salty flavors, even a couple days after baking, though I recommend reheating prior to eating them as leftovers.

72191090_10217633444882070_8079006167231102976_n.jpg

b1a0634912a492ae55e67963ed1ba911.jpg

Second go at it. This time I added the butter as directed on the rolled out circle for half the batch. I softened it a bit much, more melted. Regardless, they came out well, if a little less pretty form wise.

I think I prefer melted butter on the role before the second rise.

This recipe is killer, other than the bread maker portion of it.

Quail Eggs Resting On A Quail Egg Omelette Nest With A Foundation Of Salami & A Guard Of Roasted Tomatoes.

Quail Eggs Resting On A Quail Egg Omelette Nest With A Foundation Of Salami & A Guard Of Roasted.jpg

Bacon Wrapped Chicken With Stilton.

Bacon Wrapped Chicken With Stilton.jpg

Ta8xSweGTESF_KxxbasUog.jpg

Ravioli. I got a ravioli mold, because the cutters just don't simplify the process much at all. This was my first try with them. I did a 3:1 ratio of white to whole flour to help make the dough not sticky. It worked pretty well, though it was generally giving me a block of ravioli that still needed to be cut. Reduces the headache by about 50 to 75%! It is much quicker and there is less wasted pasta dough. I rolled out the dough to the thinnest setting before making the ravioli. I am totally going to retry my chocolate ravioli soon.

Only mistake was forgetting I have a new stove, so I rolling boiled them, which made them puff a lot.

Back
Top Bottom