• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Foodie Thread

Trying to decide what I want to make with these ingredients: eggs, cream cheese, cherries, blueberries, lemons, and honey, using as little white flour as possible.

A cheesecake.

I made a cheesecake souffle. I used that same lemon puffed omelet recipe (which is a souffle, let's face it) that I made earlier this week and added cream cheese and flour to the egg yolk mixture before folding in the whites.

It's not as pretty. The difference in texture allowed the blueberries to sink, but same, even better, taste, and a more substantial dish.

I want to get my ramekins out of storage and make some proper little souffles from this recipe.

NOM!

lemon-honey-cheesecake-souffle.jpg

I mostly prefer Indian food every time. last time take the most delicious Indian food with my friends.

Baked French Toast Casserole

This is actually a very simply dish, as are most of the things I make, and there’s not a lot of cleanup.

Ingredients

One pound (.45 kg) breakfast sausage. I actually use sausage crumbles, which seem to work OK (also easier!).
One fairly large loaf Italian bread
I cup (240 ml) shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
8 eggs (we get our eggs from our cleaning lady, who keeps chickens, and some of them run a little smaller, so I throw in an extra one)
1 cup (240 ml) milk

Instructions

1. Brown sausage in skillet.
2. Slice bread into 1 inch (2.5 cm) thick slices and cut off crusts.
3. Grease high sided 9x13 baking dish (approx. 23x33 cm) and arrange bread slices so they completely cover the bottom of the dish.
4. Drain sausage and spread evenly over bread. Sprinkle cheeses evenly over bread and sausage.
5. In separate bowl, beat eggs and milk. Pour evenly over all ingredients in baking dish.
6. Cover and let sit in fridge overnight.
7. When ready to serve, preheat oven to 350 degrees (176 C).
8. Bake for about 35 minutes, or until knife poked in center comes out clean. Let stand a few minutes before serving.

I serve it with some kind of sweet syrup, maple or other.
I typically hate French Toast Casseroles because they have way too much moisture and I find the texture disturbing. My solution is to cube the bread (I usually bake white bread for this and one plus a little loaves will do the job), don't let it sit overnight! Make certain the baking dish is about half way filled with the egg mixture. Also, don't forget cinnamon sugar on the top! Helps provide a bunch of textures from crunchy tops to soft bottom instead of having way too much sog. The recipe above at least has the benefit of not being sweet. Often these recipes call for way too much sweetness... which ruins an already soggy toast.

Breakfast feast: Potato bread toast with butter, lightly scrambled eggs, and avocado. Coffee and a mug of coconut milk. Food of the Goddesses.

avocadotoast.jpg

Wood fired venison salami and sharp cheddar sammies.

Resized952019071195202822958045 (2).jpgTACH]

Foraged mushrooms and humbolt fog cheese. (not sure what the pink labia looking shrooms are. Bought them at a small market in the Catskills).

PART95156294103785195Resized952019071295101703954878.jpg

Attachments

• Resized952019071195202822958045 (2).jpg
    Resized952019071195202822958045 (2).jpg
    327.1 KB · Views: 1
Orange Honey Souffle, my best souffle yet. I do need ramekins or a better pan (mine are in storage), or increase the recipe so that there's enough batter to properly rise. That's one of the best things about making souffles, that inch of souffle standing straight up above the pan edge. I even like the small cracks in the top, although pastry chefs would probably scoff. But as far as flavor and texture, perfect!

Edit: also, it should have a good coat of confectioner's sugar on top, but I didn't want or need it. That's for guests. lol

orange_souffle2.jpg
orange_souffle1.jpg
orange_souffle3.jpg

Goddammit! You guys are making me hungry, and I just ate! :p

I've got some parmesan tornado sweet potatoes in the oven right now. :) Will have pics shortly.

I found it easier to just slice them and then put each slice on the skewer. I'm not the most coordinated so my spirals were not making thin enough slices. This is one sweet potato.

tornado-sw-potatoes.jpg

Last edited:

I've got some parmesan tornado sweet potatoes in the oven right now. :) Will have pics shortly.

I found it easier to just slice them and then put each slice on the skewer. I'm not the most coordinated so my spirals were not making thin enough slices. This is one sweet potato.

View attachment 22596

That's one, extremely sweet, potato. :p

My Italian great grandmother used to forage for mushrooms.To make sure she didn't accidentally get a toadstool she would always put a coin in with them when she cooked them.If it turned black she knew there were toadstools in there and she would throw them out. Most of her harvest she canned to eat later.Problem was she started to get forgetful , and would some times forget to put the coin in. The whole family knew to avoid the cans with more recent dates on them.

View attachment 22596

I love sweet potatoes!

My Italian great grandmother used to forage for mushrooms.To make sure she didn't accidentally get a toadstool she would always put a coin in with them when she cooked them.If it turned black she knew there were toadstools in there and she would throw them out. Most of her harvest she canned to eat later.Problem was she started to get forgetful , and would some times forget to put the coin in. The whole family knew to avoid the cans with more recent dates on them.

A coin is not a reliable indicator of toxicity. At all.

But don't worry - all fungi are edible.

But some are only edible once.

A coin is not a reliable indicator of toxicity. At all.

But don't worry - all fungi are edible.

But some are only edible once.

Well, like my grandfather once said "There are plenty of old mushroom hunters, and plenty of bold mushroom hunters...but there are no old bold mushroom hunters"

Bought some blackberries from the market today. I always grab either blackberries, strawberries, or blueberries. The strawberries looked good; very red and ready to eat.
When I was a kid, mom used to slice and mash them up with the potato masher and add sugar and whole milk. Of course whole milk. The milk would get kind of pink. Oh, that was so good.
The blueberries were on sale. Pass.
Now the blackberries, the blackberries were in cardboard containers. Oh, they look good. Real good. Should I get two? Blackberries in cardboard containers only come around once a year. But, so often, all the beauty of fruit is but skin deep and I've been burned before. Better just to buy one and cut my disappointment in half.
So I get them home and remove the cellophane held on by a rubber band. I like that. Kind of homey. Better than popping open a plastic container. I try one and it's perfect. For all these years I've been buying blackberries, they have always been average at best. Kind of disappointed in myself for not getting two.
Actually they reminded me of the blackberries we used to pick when I was a kid. My mom, my sister, and I would pick them from the field across the street. If we got enough, mom would make blackberry pie. These were those blackberries, somewhat tart. I remember that tartness would stand up to the sugar added to the pie filling and go so well together. I can remember weaving my arm between the thorns to reach in for the berries. What a challenge and what a reward for a little kid. One time I hear my mom screaming. I look around and there she goes! Running, screaming, arms flailing. It was funny. I was a little kid. I wasn't real big on empathy yet. I guess mom found some wasps. Oh and she dropped her blackberries. There may not be enough for a pie now. That's all I remember about that.

Anyways, here's my blackberries:

IMG_0267(1).JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0267.JPG
    IMG_0267.JPG
    867 KB · Views: 5
Bought some blackberries from the market today. I always grab either blackberries, strawberries, or blueberries. The strawberries looked good; very red and ready to eat.
When I was a kid, mom used to slice and mash them up with the potato masher and add sugar and whole milk. Of course whole milk. The milk would get kind of pink. Oh, that was so good.
The blueberries were on sale. Pass.
Now the blackberries, the blackberries were in cardboard containers. Oh, they look good. Real good. Should I get two? Blackberries in cardboard containers only come around once a year. But, so often, all the beauty of fruit is but skin deep and I've been burned before. Better just to buy one and cut my disappointment in half.
So I get them home and remove the cellophane held on by a rubber band. I like that. Kind of homey. Better than popping open a plastic container. I try one and it's perfect. For all these years I've been buying blackberries, they have always been average at best. Kind of disappointed in myself for not getting two.
Actually they reminded me of the blackberries we used to pick when I was a kid. My mom, my sister, and I would pick them from the field across the street. If we got enough, mom would make blackberry pie. These were those blackberries, somewhat tart. I remember that tartness would stand up to the sugar added to the pie filling and go so well together. I can remember weaving my arm between the thorns to reach in for the berries. What a challenge and what a reward for a little kid. One time I hear my mom screaming. I look around and there she goes! Running, screaming, arms flailing. It was funny. I was a little kid. I wasn't real big on empathy yet. I guess mom found some wasps. Oh and she dropped her blackberries. There may not be enough for a pie now. That's all I remember about that.

Anyways, here's my blackberries:

View attachment 22922

I contemplated buying blackberries today too, but balked at paying $55 a kilo for them! Got a couple of Dino plums and some strawberries instead.

Made a quick and easy shepherd's pie casserole. Browned a couple pounds of ground beef and drained. Threw in a half chopped red onion, a bag of frozen carrots and peas, and a can of beef gravy and a can of brown gravy. Seasoned with seasoned salt, garlic powder and pepper, and simmered. put the mixture in a flat casserole dish, topped it with colby-jack cheese then a layer of prepared instant mashed potatoes. Put it in the oven at 350 until the potatoes on top start to brown.

Yummy and quick.

Made a quick and easy shepherd's pie casserole. Browned a couple pounds of ground beef and drained. Threw in a half chopped red onion, a bag of frozen carrots and peas, and a can of beef gravy and a can of brown gravy. Seasoned with seasoned salt, garlic powder and pepper, and simmered. put the mixture in a flat casserole dish, topped it with colby-jack cheese then a layer of prepared instant mashed potatoes. Put it in the oven at 350 until the potatoes on top start to brown.

Yummy and quick.

Er... if it's not lamb or mutton, it's a cottage pie, not a shepherd's pie.

Yummy and quick.

Er... if it's not lamb or mutton, it's a cottage pie, not a shepherd's pie.

Food nazi.

:moonie:

Back
Top Bottom