• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Foodie Thread

My pizza recipe has evolved.

Half (split) a ciabatta loaf
Fire roasted petite diced tomatoes
Pepperoni cut in small chunks
Green pepper and mushrooms cut in small pieces
Sprinkling of mozzarella cheese

Baked for 25 minutes at 218.333.

I forgot to buy pizza sauce. That's how the diced tomatoes came into being. I usually leave it in for 20 minutes but thought I'd up it for the wetter chunky diced tomatoes. Came out nice with a crispier crust.
I like this better than sauce. I'm going to keep taking it in a bruschetta direction. Next time I'll brush the bread with olive oil and add basil. I think I'll put the basil on the diced tomatoes buried under the rest to protect it from excessive heat.

Pizza.jpg

Malt loaf!
View attachment 39343

Bilby has said that I can make it again.
Looks delicious. Looks a bit like fruitcake too. This thread always makes me hungry for nutritious food.

I picked and dehydrated a bunch of figs. The ones that were not completely ripe I sprinkled with a bit of sugar and lime juice before dehydrating. Came out excellent and make a healthy snack. Sorry I ain't got no pics. :confused: Cut off the stem, slice them in half lengthwise and arrange on the dehydrator tray cut side up. I dry them to a crispy chewy stage like the crust of a good pizza.

I should add that picking those things is dangerous at this time of year with all the wasps and hornets going after them too. Plenty of company on the fig trees.

Well, that was surprisingly delicious.

I made asparagus chicken pasta bake.

I sautéed some celery, onion and garlic, threw in some chicken chunks and cooked them until the celery was soft and the chicken browned slightly. I then added a can of asparagus, drained, (keep about 1/2 cup back for the sauce), and chuck it in.

In a jug /bowl, mix the can juice, a few tablespoons on Greek yoghurt and a teaspoon of dijon mustard, and pour over the chicken etc in the pan and cook on slow until done.

cook about 150g of pasta of your choice, and when al dente, drain and mix with chicken mix. Turn out into an oven dish, top with fresh asparagus and cover with grated cheese.

When you want dinner, out in an oven of 180C for about 39-40 minutes until heated through and cheese is melted.

YUMMY!

Bored. Need varity. Looking at, English style bread pudding, rice pudding. Amish style baked oatmeal. I can't get sugar free pie reliabaly here, I seem to get that one out of four attempts here at Walmart. I am about to attempt a simple puff pastry recipe and making hand pies. And popovers. Or fruit crumbles, lazy bakers pie. I have a recipe I just downloaded for pita pockets. And beef suvlaki marinade. I have not had a good shiskabab in ages. Sugar free gonzo oatmeal cookies with lots of fruit and nuts. Ginger bread, I have not had a good warm slice of ginger bread in years. Must have ginger bread! I need some good ramekins for soufles.

Sandwiches.

Hero, submarine aka sub, grinder, or hoagie?

I grew up calling it a grinder.

Like the endless, silly pork roll/Taylor ham debate, sub/hoagie divides the state into camps convinced their use of the term is the proper and only one.

It's "subs" in North Jersey, "hoagies" in South Jersey, "heroes'' if you're originally from New York City, "grinders'' if you're from New England.

Though the exact contents of Chic Young's illustrated Dagwood sandwich remain obscure, it appears to contain large quantities and varieties of cold cuts, sliced cheese, and vegetables separated by additional slices of bread. A whole small fish, presumably a sardine, is usually visible. An olive pierced by a toothpick or wooden skewer usually crowns the edible structure. "Dagwood sandwich" has been included in Webster's New World Dictionary, and "Dagwood" (referring to the sandwich) has been included in the American Heritage Dictionary.[2]

What is a turkey club made of?
Image result for turkey club sandwich
A turkey club is a classic sandwich with six ingredients: turkey, bacon, lettuce, tomato, mayonnaise, and bread. It traditionally has a third slice of bread in the middle with extra layers of meat, but I only used two slices to cut calories.May 29, 2020

I called it a triple-decker and it was common on menus I when was grwing up. Cut in triangles and served with fries. DIners were commoni New England. Ling narrow restaurants looking like a railroad car or big trailer.

There is the standard BLT. Tunafish standard or a tuna cheese melt grilled.

What is a Monte Cristo sandwich made of?
Image result for monte cristo sandwich
At its core, the Monte Cristo is made as a double or triple decker with ham, turkey, and Swiss cheese. The assembled sandwich is then dipped into an egg batter or custard and pan fried or deep fried until golden. In the Southern United States, it also sometimes includes a crunchy breading, such as crushed corn flakes.May 10, 202

Monte Christo was a common diner menu item.

Is loose meat sandwich a real thing?
Image result for loose meat sandwich
Depending on where you are in the Midwest, the sandwich can be called a Nu-Way, Steamer, Big T, loose hamburger sandwich, tavern sandwich, or just a Maid Rite. Since the 1920s, it has been made with sautéed (sometimes steamed) ground beef and onions, served on a bun and dressed up with ketchup, mustard, and pickles.

Loose Meat Sandwich vs Sloppy Joe

The major difference between a Loose Meat Sandwich and a Sloppy Joe is the absence of a tomato-based sauce. Well, really a sauce of any kind. Rather than swimming in a seasoned sauce, a loose meat sandwich is simply dry crumbles of flavored ground beef served like a loose hamburger.Jun 16, 2021

If yiu are not salivating you must be dead.....

Had some bread going stale so I made Bread Pudding.

IMG_20221130_145212065.jpg

The smell when I took it out of the oven was wonderful.

Caramels today, but will need to cook to higher temp as it was too soft. Need to freeze before eating.

Croissants, three batches this year. Gave up on whipping butter from cream and figured out best way to flatten a stick of butter. Butter incorporated and now just need to fold a few times tomorrow.

Made a white peppermint today as well. None of my peppermint recipes are really pepperminty.

During the holliday season, my local Walmart was always out of eggnog. A big disappointment. Today I decided to make mock egg nog. No eggs.

Eggnog spice mix
6 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cloves
2 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp cinnamon

Put in a jar and shake to mix well. Save to an empty spice jar.

I had a quart mason jar I filled about 5/6 full of milk. Added about 1 1/2 teaspoon of my spice mix. Added three packets Splenda sweetener. About a generous teaspoon of vanilla. And about 1/2 tsp rum flavoring extract. Shake jar furiously to mix.

And now 1/2 package of sugar free instant vanille pudding mix. Shake very well.

Eggnog! I am now a happy eggnog drinker. Take THAT Walmart! Add real rum or bourbon if you must. Who the hell declared eggnog an only during Christmas seasonal drink!?

During the holliday season, my local Walmart was always out of eggnog. A big disappointment. Today I decided to make mock egg nog. No eggs.

Eggnog spice mix
6 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cloves
2 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp cinnamon

Put in a jar and shake to mix well. Save to an empty spice jar.

I had a quart mason jar I filled about 5/6 full of milk. Added about 1 1/2 teaspoon of my spice mix. Added three packets Splenda sweetener. About a generous teaspoon of vanilla. And about 1/2 tsp rum flavoring extract. Shake jar furiously to mix.

And now 1/2 package of sugar free instant vanille pudding mix. Shake very well.

Eggnog! I am now a happy eggnog drinker. Take THAT Walmart! Add real rum or bourbon if you must. Who the hell declared eggnog an only during Christmas seasonal drink!?
Amazing idea! I'm definitely going to try that soon.

I made African Chicken Peanut Stew again last night. SO SO SO GOOD. It's a great leftover stew because flavor is enhanced when it's recooked, kind of like pizza or pasta dishes, but also because it's well thickened. It's a soup that is usually eaten as a sauce on rice. I remember now putting rice directly into my stew when I made this a couple of years ago. Too lazy to make rice this time. Bread or crackers work, too.

I ordered some red pears from Walmart. The substituted Anjous, and sent me 3 times what I ordered. So i have lots and lots of pears. I am going to cut them up, trim them and place them in a pyrex baking pan. Sprinkle them with sweetener, a bit of black strap molasses, ginger and cinnamon. I will make a streusel topping. Butter, flour, sweetener, rolled oats and some crushed walnuts. Mixed but left a bit crumbly and sprean on top of the pears. Bake at 400 until the streusel is nice and brown.

Pizza that did not work well. Pizza night. So I had a few cans of smoked oysters. I like smoked oysters. So why not smoked oysters on a pizza? A can of smoked oysters was enough for half a pizza, so i had half smoked oysters and half pepperoni.
Smoked oysters are not good baked. Not anything like I envisioned. I ate it, but it was a grand disappointment. The oysters took on a flavor that was strong and reminiscent of anchovies, though not as intense or salty. So much for that pizza experiment. Next pizza will have bacon.

Son of a gun stew comes up in the old westerns so I looked it up.

Anybody cook with a solar cooker? Sounds like a good recipe for a backyard solar cooker.

directions
  1. Heat oil in Dutch oven or large skillet. ...
  2. Brown beef on all sides.
  3. Add onion, stewed tomatoes, and 3 quarts of water.
  4. Add seasoning, tomatoes, potatoes, and onion and simmer for 2 hours watching carefully to be sure the pot doesn't go dry.
  5. Add vegetables and pearl barley and simmer covered for 1 hour.

Back
Top Bottom