• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Foodie Thread

At 53 I think I have finally mastered the perfect roast chook.

The stuffing consists of breadcrumbs, dried herbs, some olive oil, salt pepper, a grated Granny Smith apple and some melted butter - enough oil and butter to give it a crumbly texture. Spoon into cavity.

For the skin all I did was put some softened butter under the skin of the breasts then used more softened butter to massage onto the whole chicken!

Cooked at 200C for 25mins, then on 160C for 20mins per 1/2kg and a bit more for good luck. I don’t touch the chicken while it’s cooking.

It came out with perfectly crispy golden skin and succulent meat inside. Stuffing was not solid, and still a bit crumbly but delicious.

Yummy

2e7a61dbdf6f045894fb22c85c7c278d.jpg

87c0bd0fc9bf3367b70441b7fac02624.jpg

Working on cutesy stuff with my daughter. Cute Cookie Dough thingys. These are unbaked. Flour was baked prior to cooking and no egg. Taste nice. Wouldn’t eat a lot of them in a sitting though.

I had a go at Roast Beef last night and it came out good. Enough for me for lunch today and some to slice for Bilby’s lunches through the week. Not bad for around $15.

They look like ABC gum on a stick.
They do, don’t they. They are supposed to be near perfectly spherical, which isn’t easy. I might need to add a little more butter cream frosting or work the cake into crumbs more. That’ll get rid of that ABC gum look.

I had a go at Roast Beef last night and it came out good. Enough for me for lunch today and some to slice for Bilby’s lunches through the week. Not bad for around $15.

I've always wanted to try cooking a pot roast but have never known how to get started. I loved it when my grandmother made pot roast.

ZiprHead, in post 1010, wrote:

I've always wanted to try cooking a pot roast but have never known how to get started. I loved it when my grandmother made pot roast.

• Chuck roast, 1 or 2 pounds. Or five pounds, see if I care.

• Carots, 1 pound

• Mushrooms, portabella or anything weird in the grocery store. 1 pound.

• Onions, 1 pound. Or 2. I like onions. If you went with the five pound roast, and you don't want meat left over for sandwiches or meat salad, then you can have three to five pounds of each of these veggies. If your dutch oven is big enough.

• Potatoes, 1 pound. I like red potatoes, sliced. And, you know, cut again into smaller pieces until there is room for the potato to have friends in the spoon. In the alternative, if I tear up the beef and call this stew, I can leave out the red potatoes and, late in the cooking, cover everything with mashed potatoes. Then it's shepherd's pie.

• Stock, 1 carton. I'm guessing that's a quart. I use chicken stock for, you know, reasons.

• Seasonings: Salt, pepper, and whatever. Basil? Bay leaf? Surely garlic or garlic powder.

1. Put your dutch oven on the stovetop, and sear the roast on all sides, if you're into that kind of thing. Sometimes I slice the roast into one inch slices, so I can sear both sides of each. Salt and pepper first, see, and then sear.
  2. If you deglaze with red wine, you won't get any complaints from me.
  3. Chunk up the veggies and add them to the pot. Rearrange things so the roast is on top of the veggies. At least that's my instinct.
  4. Add the stock and whatever seasonings you want.
  5. Cover. Did you pre-heat the oven? Put in a 350 (American Fahrenheit degrees) oven for four hours. One recipe says one hour per pound, but that seems nuts; do the carrots cook faster when you use less meat? Some recipes call for 400 or 375 degrees. Some call for three hours. What I do myself is put it in at a temperature, and start checking for done after maybe three hours. You'll figure out what works for you, and, unlike me, you'll remember what that is. All I know is that it turns out well every time, and is remarkably tasty. My wife is licensed to add whatever seasonings she wants, but even if she's not home the stuff is great.
  6. If I'm around, any meat not reserved for sandwiches or meat salad gets torn or cut into chunks -- after which it is probably best to call this stew.

I retired to the small chamber halfway thru typing the above. There was a Jack Reacher novel in there, and I read this, about the Lend Lease program:

We had shipped a hundred million tons of woolen and cotton goods to the Russian. Plus fifteen million pairs of leather boots, four million rubber tires, two thousand railroad locomotives, and eleven thousand freight cars, as well as all the obvious heavy metal, like fifteen thousand airplanes, seven thousand tanks, and 375,000 army trucks. All free, gratis, and for nothing. Winston Churchill had called the program the least sordid in all of history. Legends had grown up around it. The Soviets were said to have asked for condoms, and in an attempt to impress and intimidate, they had specified that they should be eighteen inches long. The United States had duly shipped them, in cartons stamped Size: Medium.

Thanks for the above.

We picked up a smallish roasting pan at a thrift store a couple years ago. Do you think I can find it now? Nope.

What's for dinner?

I usually buy an economy pack on sale of thin sliced pork. chicken, or beef. I bag them and put them in the freezer.

Tonight I put a frozen piece of pork in a skillet on medium low heat. I put frozen corn in the microwave. I cut up zucchini, squash, celery, onions, and pepper and set it to boiling. Sometimes I'll add rotini pasta.

Then I mixed tomato paste with water, whine vinegar, and hot sauce.

Cut up the pork and mix with vegetables in the sauce.

Dinner in 10-15 minutes. With a non stick skillet clean up is with a sponge.

I modified the cake pops a little. I cut the sticks in half, which reduces the strain on the stick in the cake pop. I'm still not certain how to get that perfectly round shape. I might try one more time with a bit more moisture, but the cake pops are already pretty moist! Store them in an air tight container, and these things can last a week easy. Popular amongst the children in my daughters class, but I think something just needs to be sweet for that.

This week's Big Stew:

onions, carrots, peas, corn, tomatoes, chickpeas, Great Northern beans, black beans, red beans, brown rice, chicken broth (only because they didn't have no-salt beef broth. :mad:), beef stew seasonings, basil, Mrs. Dash. With cheez-its and parmesan cheese on top.

This week's Big Stew:

onions, carrots, peas, corn, tomatoes, chickpeas, Great Northern beans, black beans, red beans, brown rice, chicken broth (only because they didn't have no-salt beef broth. :mad:), beef stew seasonings, basil, Mrs. Dash. With cheez-its and parmesan cheese on top.

Beans, beans, beans and rice. No problem with constipation there.

This week's Big Stew:

I am fortunate that I rarely ever experience any problems of that particular function, knock wood. I also don't get gas from eating beans, at least no more than usual, probably because I already eat a lot of fiber routinely. Chili farts are a problem of people who don't get enough fiber.

This week's Big Stew:

I am fortunate that I rarely ever experience any problems of that particular function, knock wood. I also don't get gas from eating beans, at least no more than usual, probably because I already eat a lot of fiber routinely. Chili farts are a problem of people who don't get enough fiber.

I eat beans regularly. Bens and scrambled eggs, beans and salad, beans and rice. Keeps me regular.

I eat beans regularly. Bens and scrambled eggs, beans and salad, beans and rice. Keeps me regular.

:thumbsup:

This week's Big Stew:

Did Mrs Dash complain when you put her in the stew?

Back
Top Bottom