• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Fuck unity

I don't think you need to convince 47 million people to be someone who they're not, you just need to win a few elections.
I don't want to convince them they're someone they're not. That's a conservative thing.

I want these not-Nazis people assure me exist to realize they've raised their banner behind the Nazi flag.
And decide, like Dark Helmet, "Hey! I'm surrounded by a bunch of Assholes!"

Well there's the thing - if you claim to be a supporter of social progress, and and that you're an overall good, helpful person - but your actions have negative consequences and are counter to those goals, does that not cause some sense of cognitive dissonance? What is your motive for insulting Trump supporters? What are you trying to accomplish?

I know you're trying to make me feel bad about insulting abusers who claim I don't deserve to exist, but I'm not falling for it.

I'm not trying to make you feel bad about anything - I'm just stating that there's a conflict between a) I want to improve the condition of my country and b) constantly referring to half of it's population as sub human.

Until the democrats in your country understand that, be prepared for your politics to become more and more fractured. Impact over intent.

Only 1.3% of the population voted for Trump, and the Department of Justice found that 1.1% of all of those votes were fraud. So statistically speaking, "trump supporters" don't even exist. rousseau is just spreading a false narrative that there are these supposed "victims" of abuse somewhere... but its all just a fiction that a small handful (doing the math... 0.2%) on facebook and twitter made up. I know how to use photoshop too, you know. Actors are out of jobs and will take any gig right now, even if it means playing a fictitious character on a supposed non-fiction TV "news" program.
Wake up rousseau. There are far too many REAL problems to deal with - like that Hillary email issue - Russiagate scam - and all the rest.
That is, if you are not too busy supporting democratic baby killing cannibals to start acting like an actual american human being.

Not all Trump supporters are "Fuck your feelings".
Sure. Some are parents and would never lock a child in a cage and let it die from neglect.
But, that said, they just voted for the man that will do that, knowing he will do that, and knowing no one will hold him more accountable than a headline about it.

So, really, what can we expect from them if we want to accomplish change? Apathy may be our best hope.
I believe you are giving too many people too much credit for awareness. I know Trump voters who are persuadable on some social issues. Basically, if they felt the Democrats embraced working class people of all races, they'd be on board.

Not all Trump supporters are "Fuck your feelings".
Sure. Some are parents and would never lock a child in a cage and let it die from neglect.
But, that said, they just voted for the man that will do that, knowing he will do that, and knowing no one will hold him more accountable than a headline about it.

So, really, what can we expect from them if we want to accomplish change? Apathy may be our best hope.
I believe you are giving too many people too much credit for awareness. I know Trump voters who are persuadable on some social issues. Basically, if they felt the Democrats embraced working class people of all races, they'd be on board.

Is that supposed to be better? It's not that i, you know, actually approve of voter suppression, and treason, 300,000 dead, and all the rest, but the Dems just haven't shown me they care about my needs. So, four more years of suppression, treason, a million dead....

Not all Trump supporters are "Fuck your feelings". And, like it or not, lasting social change requires that a significant part of the "red" USA buys in. It would not hurt to try to find some common ground with a significant part of the red areas. I cannot speak for rousseau, but I am not arguing for some sort of moral choice but an expedient one.

How? If it isn't reciprocal, how does this work?

Not all Trump supporters are "Fuck your feelings". And, like it or not, lasting social change requires that a significant part of the "red" USA buys in. It would not hurt to try to find some common ground with a significant part of the red areas. I cannot speak for rousseau, but I am not arguing for some sort of moral choice but an expedient one.

A lot of red America supports M4A. We could start there.

A lot of red America supports M4A. We could start there.

Yes, but the Democrats themselves torpedo any and all attempts at creating it.

Trump Appointee Stands Between Biden’s Team and a Smooth Transition

Emily W. Murphy, the administrator of the General Services Administration, must formally recognize President-elect Joseph R. Biden Jr. for the transfer of power to begin.

Transition officials for President-elect Joseph R. Biden Jr. called on a top Trump administration appointee on Monday to end what they said was unwarranted obstruction of the money and access that federal law says must flow to the winner of a presidential election.

The officials, speaking on background to reporters on Monday night, said it was nearly unprecedented for Emily W. Murphy, the administrator of the General Services Administration, to refuse to issue a letter of “ascertainment,” which allows Mr. Biden’s transition team to begin the transfer of power.

By law, Ms. Murphy, the head of the sprawling agency that keeps the federal government functioning, must formally recognize Mr. Biden as the incoming president for his transition to begin. It has been three days since news organizations projected that he was the winner of the election, and Ms. Murphy has still not acted.

Trump Appointee Stands Between Biden’s Team and a Smooth Transition

Emily W. Murphy, the administrator of the General Services Administration, must formally recognize President-elect Joseph R. Biden Jr. for the transfer of power to begin.

Transition officials for President-elect Joseph R. Biden Jr. called on a top Trump administration appointee on Monday to end what they said was unwarranted obstruction of the money and access that federal law says must flow to the winner of a presidential election.

The officials, speaking on background to reporters on Monday night, said it was nearly unprecedented for Emily W. Murphy, the administrator of the General Services Administration, to refuse to issue a letter of “ascertainment,” which allows Mr. Biden’s transition team to begin the transfer of power.

By law, Ms. Murphy, the head of the sprawling agency that keeps the federal government functioning, must formally recognize Mr. Biden as the incoming president for his transition to begin. It has been three days since news organizations projected that he was the winner of the election, and Ms. Murphy has still not acted.

That could also go in the day without stupid thread.

IMO what the US needs is a good hard dose of Dick Liberalism - which is the name i've given to my own personal brand of progressivism: unapologetic, aggressive, demanding, unbending in the face of opposition.

conservatives get to have their views and be dicks about it, insisting that they are right and that everyone should go along with it.
liberals whimper and show their anuses in subservience and ask if it's OK if we would maybe do a tiny little bit of the 'moving forward with the progress of human civilization' thing, and it's just pathetic.

you get free health care and fuck you if you don't like it.
people who's lifestyle does nothing to you are also people and you don't get to oppress them. blow me.
capitalism is inherently and necessarily predatory and against the basic concept of advancement of our species and must be curbed and regulated. eat an entire burlap sack of moist dicks if you don't like it.
"on demand without apology or explanation" is the only morally acceptable position to have on abortion.

IMO what the US needs is a good hard dose of Dick Liberalism - which is the name i've given to my own personal brand of progressivism: unapologetic, aggressive, demanding, unbending in the face of opposition.

conservatives get to have their views and be dicks about it, insisting that they are right and that everyone should go along with it.
liberals whimper and show their anuses in subservience and ask if it's OK if we would maybe do a tiny little bit of the 'moving forward with the progress of human civilization' thing, and it's just pathetic.

people who's lifestyle does nothing to you are also people and you don't get to oppress them. blow me.
capitalism is inherently and necessarily predatory and against the basic concept of advancement of our species and must be curbed and regulated. eat an entire burlap sack of moist dicks if you don't like it.

Awesome. :rofl: Can I share this on facebook?

Awesome. :rofl: Can I share this on facebook?
by all means.

Sometimes my actions (punching nazis), have negative immediate consequences towards my goals (peaceful coexistence between persons).

Overall, however, the immediate negative consequences (a fight!) do not stand in violation of my principles, as removing an irritant, however irritating the act itself may be, is generally preferable, much like lancing a boil or painful blemish.

This is more of that "paradox of tolerance" bullshit wherein some bad faith asshole enjoins us to tolerate the intolerant, failing to understand that when someone is intolerant, they have abandoned the principles that are the basis for protection of the system.

I don't think it's so much tolerating them that's important, it's behaving in ways that don't make the situation even worse than it was before. Whatever that may be.

You cannot reason with fascists, or with people who support fascists. There is no compromising with fascism because fascists are not interested in compromise. Last week, some 70,000,000 people came out to vote for a narcissistic, corrupt fascist who is neither intelligent nor charismatic, nor capable in any meaningful way, and who has made no effort to disguise his true identity. This is not some fringe group barricaded in a compound, but roughly half the voting population. We have to acknowledge the reality we live in, that our nation is in crisis, and that desperate measures may be needed to save it. What those measures might be I have no idea, but coddling a fascist piece of shit who wants to run this country like North Korea, and coddling the people who support this piece of shit, while hoping they will grow out of their fascist tendencies is not going to work.

"Unity" is about Kasich and Biden getting the band back together and having another go at chopping social security:

For the longest time I've been wondering what it would take for right wing authoritarian followers to realize what they support and to have the humanity to change their minds. When fascism has reached the point that it is in the US, it usually takes massive atrocity and social upheaval if not war for enablers to say, "Oh..." and then hide or try to pretend they never supported a tyrant.

But now I'm wondering what it's going to take for liberal, left wing, progressive, people of supposed humane values and principles who would never in a million years support fascists or fascist policies to actually stand up against fascism and for those humane principles. I think, like the fascist followers themselves, there are some progressive people of democratic values who will have to face widespread atrocity and a complete dissolution of democratic institutions before they stop appeasing bullies and get a spine.

In Germany, things that Trump and the GOP have been doing the last five years would get not only the individuals but the whole party banned from participating in politics. Here, and apparently in some other democracies as well, we treat them like criminality and bigotry are just "different perspectives," worthy of allowing them to enact laws and make policy decisions for states and for the whole country.

I guess we'll find out soon enough just what it will take for such liberals to stop bending over for liars and criminals because, Biden win or no, Trump out or no, right wing authoritarianism is not going away. They have no conscience or principles to stop them and will push and push until stopped or until they destroy all of us in some way.

For the longest time I've been wondering what it would take for right wing authoritarian followers to realize what they support and to have the humanity to change their minds. When fascism has reached the point that it is in the US, it usually takes massive atrocity and social upheaval if not war for enablers to say, "Oh..." and then hide or try to pretend they never supported a tyrant.

But now I'm wondering what it's going to take for liberal, left wing, progressive, people of supposed humane values and principles who would never in a million years support fascists or fascist policies to actually stand up against fascism and for those humane principles. I think, like the fascist followers themselves, there are some progressive people of democratic values who will have to face widespread atrocity and a complete dissolution of democratic institutions before they stop appeasing bullies and get a spine.

In Germany, things that Trump and the GOP have been doing the last five years would get not only the individuals but the whole party banned from participating in politics. Here, and apparently in some other democracies as well, we treat them like criminality and bigotry are just "different perspectives," worthy of allowing them to enact laws and make policy decisions for states and for the whole country.

I guess we'll find out soon enough just what it will take for such liberals to stop bending over for liars and criminals because, Biden win or no, Trump out or no, right wing authoritarianism is not going away. They have no conscience or principles to stop them and will push and push until stopped or until they destroy all of us in some way.

China is doing something like that

BloombergSubscribe
Politics
China Requires ‘Patriotism’ for Hong Kong Lawmakers, SCMP Says
By Karen Leigh, Kari Soo Lindberg, and Alfred Liu
November 10, 2020, 4:00 PM EST
Updated on November 10, 2020, 11:24 PM EST
Top legislative body approved provision, newspaper says
Opposition earlier threatened to resign en masse over measure
Hong Kong Marks 23rd Anniversary of City's Return To Chinese Rule as China Enacts Sweeping Powers
Photographer: Roy Liu/Bloomberg
China passed a measure requiring Hong Kong lawmakers to be “patriots,” the South China Morning Post reported, a move to curb debate in a democratic institution that has endured more than two decades after the former British colony’s return.

China’s top legislative body approved the provision to make patriotism a requirement for Hong Kong lawmakers behind closed doors Wednesday in Beijing, the newspaper reported, citing a person it didn’t identify. Earlier reports about the proposal have alarmed the 20 opposition lawmakers on the city’s 70-seat Legislative Council, with the bloc threatening Monday to resign if any of their own were disqualified.

China is doing something like that

BloombergSubscribe
Politics
China Requires ‘Patriotism’ for Hong Kong Lawmakers, SCMP Says
By Karen Leigh, Kari Soo Lindberg, and Alfred Liu
November 10, 2020, 4:00 PM EST
Updated on November 10, 2020, 11:24 PM EST
Top legislative body approved provision, newspaper says
Opposition earlier threatened to resign en masse over measure
Hong Kong Marks 23rd Anniversary of City's Return To Chinese Rule as China Enacts Sweeping Powers
Photographer: Roy Liu/Bloomberg
China passed a measure requiring Hong Kong lawmakers to be “patriots,” the South China Morning Post reported, a move to curb debate in a democratic institution that has endured more than two decades after the former British colony’s return.

China’s top legislative body approved the provision to make patriotism a requirement for Hong Kong lawmakers behind closed doors Wednesday in Beijing, the newspaper reported, citing a person it didn’t identify. Earlier reports about the proposal have alarmed the 20 opposition lawmakers on the city’s 70-seat Legislative Council, with the bloc threatening Monday to resign if any of their own were disqualified.

Doing something like what? What right wing morons are trying to do here? Yes, our GOP certainly would make flag sucking mandatory for all citizens if they could.

You want electoral candidates disqualified based on political affliations.

You want electoral candidates disqualified based on political affliations.

Yeah, that's what's going on here. ;)

I want them disqualified for breaking laws and regulations, for lying to the American people, and for undermining democracy. Can you recognize the difference, repoman?

Back
Top Bottom