• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Fusion breakthrough?

Is there a theoretical lower limit to the mass of the pellet?
8.3 x 10-27 kg.

:tomato:
Seriously? less than the mass of a hydrogen atom?
A deuterium atom and a tritium atom weigh 8.3 x 10-27 kg. You must have found the hydrogen atom mass in grams, not kilograms.
The entire world uses SI, apart from the USA*, where the obsolete metric system is still viewed as novel, suspicious, and incomprehensible.

* And the mighty scientific powerhouse of Liberia.

I don't think it is not theoretical.

The periodic table lists the mass of each atom.

A deuterium atom and a tritium atom weigh 8.3 x 10-27 kg. You must have found the hydrogen atom mass in grams, not kilograms.
The entire world uses SI, apart from the USA*, where the obsolete metric system is still viewed as novel, suspicious, and incomprehensible.
Hey, I used to live in Germany and they used pounds! (Though they called them "Pfunde" for some reason.)

* Of course, a German pound was 500 grams.

SI is the metric system. The MKS meters, kilograms, seconds system. SI adds standardized secondary units swerved from meters. kilograms, and seconds.

I looked up the weight of the Orin capsule and it was given in metric tonnes along with pounds and kgs. Who uses that?

Saw that tritium was used for the reaction. Using tritium as a fuel would be terribly expensive. Like using tritium as a fuel.
You can breed tritium.

Line either a fission or fusion reactor with deuterium.
I.e.,

n + D -> T
D + T -> He + n
-------------------
n + 2D -> He + n

And that can work provided the efficiency of capturing neutrons in the deuterium lining is 100%. Which is about as likely as 100% efficiency lasers. If you capture only 90% you still need Steve's little fission reactor next to the big fusion reactor.
If you can breed 90% of it you just cut the cost of it by 90%

Is there a theoretical lower limit to the mass of the pellet?
8.3 x 10-27 kg.

:tomato:
Seriously? less than the mass of a hydrogen atom?
My mistake proves that it is all of that.
:playful:

That's hairsplitting. The  International System of Units (SI) is some official definitions of the units of the  Metric system --  Metrication and  History of the metric system

Unit references:
  • Second (time) - (Middle Ages) day - (1956) year - (1967) Cs-133 hyperfine transition
  • Meter (length) - (1791) Earth size - (1799) artifacts - (1960) a Kr-86 electronic transition - (1983) fixed speed of light & time (relativity)
  • Kilogram (mass) - (1791) max water density - (1799) artifacts - (2018) fixed Planck's constant & length & time (quantum mechanics)
  • Kelvin (temperature) - (1742) water melting & boiling points - (1848) absolute zero - (1948) water melting point & triple point - (1954) absolute zero & water triple point - (2005) water isotopic fractions specified - (2018) - fixed Boltzmann's constant & energy (length, time, mass) (thermodynamics)

That's hairsplitting.
It's really not. SI is a metric system, but it's not the system people call "Metric", outside the USA.

I am telling you how words are used in the parts of the English speaking world that have abandoned Imperial measurements.

"Metric" is usually used to differentiate cgs from SI, so it is rarely applied to SI by anyone who knows both systems.

SI is the metric system.
SI is a metric system. But in the English speaking world, "Metric" refers to the outdated cgs (centimetre, gram, second) system, that has largely been replaced by SI.
Possibly in the British-speaking world or the Strine-speaking world.

That's hairsplitting.
It's really not. SI is a metric system, but it's not the system people call "Metric", outside the USA.

I am telling you how words are used in the parts of the English speaking world that have abandoned Imperial measurements.

"Metric" is usually used to differentiate cgs from SI, so it is rarely applied to SI by anyone who knows both systems.
Perhaps you're using "English-speaking" to mean something like "British-speaking", or more likely, "pedant-speaking". Here in the English-speaking world* nobody but scientists gives a hoot which metric units are SI or cgs or whatever. We freely mix and match centimeters with kilograms and so forth, counting on the prefixes to sort out where the decimal points go -- and why the heck wouldn't anyone do that in a so-called "system" where a liter is a cubic decimeter and a hectare is ten thousand square meters? The metric system was designed screwy from the get-go and conventions like cgs and SI just move the screwiness around.

(* Which includes Canada, where although they spell British the people speak English. :devil: )

Hey, I used to live in Germany and they used pounds! (Though they called them "Pfunde" for some reason.)

* Of course, a German pound was 500 grams.
Yeah, Germans are weird like that. They pretend to speak German, but then they use an incomprehensible "Pfund" for 0.5kg. Which is, as everyone knows, colloquially referred to as "50 Deka(gramm)" (abbr. dag) in German, with parallel words in the other languages of the Hapsburg monarchy. Not only do they pretend like German uses some non-metric pounds, they go as far as pretending not to understand what you're talking about when you talk in normal Dekas.

Damn it, I came here thinking I'd see a bunch of mind blown emojis. Instead I get "meh". I'm going back to those over enthusiastic YouTube Videos. Gosh!

Damn it, I came here thinking I'd see a bunch of mind blown emojis. Instead I get "meh". I'm going back to those over enthusiastic YouTube Videos. Gosh!
Apparently a lot of people here have a concept of technological advancement that got stuck in the 70s somewhere?

Starting in the 80s there was a succession of breakthroughs and announcements and it was always 10 ears away to commercial power.

In the press releases from Livermore, commercial power is now 10 years away.

If something looks achievable and profitable then there will be investments and startups.

Some of the best engineers and scientists over genertions have been working on it. It's not for lack of skill or will.

It's a long way from there to being commercially feasible, to being able to compete with existing sources.

Let's see how much energy one can get out of the Earth's oceans. Deuterium is 0.0156% by number and the Earth's oceans have mass 1.35*1018 metric tons and salt fraction by mass of 3.5%.

That means 1.30*1021 kg of ocean water. Hydrogen has an average atomic weight of 1.0080 and oxygen 15.999. That gives 18.015 for water. That means that the oceans contain 7.22*1022 moles of water (gram molecular weights, not the burrowing animal), or 4.35*1046 molecules of water. That's 8.71*1046 hydrogen atoms and thus 1.36*1043 deuterium atoms.

Deuterium-deuterium fusion produces about 3.65 MeV, and per deuteron (deuterium nucleus), 1.825 MeV or 2.94*10-13 joules. That gives a total of 3.99*1030 joules.

Checking on  World energy supply and consumption - the total primary energy production is 14,800 million tons of oil equivalent, or 172,000 terawatt-hours. That's a primary production of 19.6 terawatts and 6.19*1020 joules per year.

That means that the deuterium in our planet's oceans should last us 6 billion years at present consumption.

It's a long way from there to being commercially feasible, to being able to compete with existing sources.

Let's see how much energy one can get out of the Earth's oceans. Deuterium is 0.0156% by number and the Earth's oceans have mass 1.35*1018 metric tons and salt fraction by mass of 3.5%.

That means 1.30*1021 kg of ocean water. Hydrogen has an average atomic weight of 1.0080 and oxygen 15.999. That gives 18.015 for water. That means that the oceans contain 7.22*1022 moles of water (gram molecular weights, not the burrowing animal), or 4.35*1046 molecules of water. That's 8.71*1046 hydrogen atoms and thus 1.36*1043 deuterium atoms.

Deuterium-deuterium fusion produces about 3.65 MeV, and per deuteron (deuterium nucleus), 1.825 MeV or 2.94*10-13 joules. That gives a total of 3.99*1030 joules.

Checking on  World energy supply and consumption - the total primary energy production is 14,800 million tons of oil equivalent, or 172,000 terawatt-hours. That's a primary production of 19.6 terawatts and 6.19*1020 joules per year.

That means that the deuterium in our planet's oceans should last us 6 billion years at present consumption.
The Uranium in seawater would last a similar amount of time (as it is constantly replenished by erosion); And we already have a commercially viable way to turn uranium into carbon emissions free, reliable, clean and safe electricity.

The Uranium in seawater would last a similar amount of time
Not 6 billions, it has half-life ~700mil years.
Whereas deuterium is stable.
Fusion is cleaner, safer and virtually limitless.
Fusion is also nonexistent. It's therefore not cleaner or safer than anything. How clean, and how safe, it turns out to be will be a function of the details of the technology and engineering, if it is ever actually made to work.

And uranium will still be in usable concentrations in seawater after ten (more) half-lifes - if there's still any oceans at that point. It's not like you need much of the stuff.

Ultimately none of this stuff matters. Once your technology lasts hundreds of millions of years, is as safe as solar power and as clean as wind power, further improvements in lifespan, safety, and cleanliness are nice to have but not particularly important. Fission already beats both solar and wind on both safety and cleanliness, and I will start worrying about fuel supplies hundreds of millions of years from now, only when it becomes clear that humans and their descendants will survive that long.

The Uranium in seawater would last a similar amount of time
Not 6 billions, it has half-life ~700mil years.
Whereas deuterium is stable.
Fusion is cleaner, safer and virtually limitless.
You're talking about U-235. The relevant half-life is 4.5 billion years, for U-238. If humanity survives for millions of years and doesn't sink into a permanent anti-nuclear theocracy we'll undoubtedly be using breeder reactors.

(And as noted upthread, fusion is only cleaner if we master a D-D reaction, which will be a lot harder than the D-T reaction current research is focused on.)

Back
Top Bottom