• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Game of Thrones

I've never seen The Wire, but Game of Thrones has reminded me about the things that I've heard of The Wire. I looked to see if anyone's compared the two, and I found this article. I find it to be pretty good description of the essence of Game of Thrones:

Mike Cavalier said:
You might find certain people, like Tyrion Lannister or Jimmy McNulty, more likable than others, but this is not about them; this is not their story, nor is it their hero’s journey. If anything, it’s the world itself — Westeros or West Baltimore — that serves in place of the central character. The citizens are merely collateral damage, and the villain is The System itself (be it the Iron Throne or the city’s bureaucracy), with its countless instances of corruption, dysfunction, and dehumanizing indifference to suffering.

These are shows that are ultimately about power: the structures that organize it, and competing strategies to seize it. The different clans, cultures, religions, ideologies, professions, and social classes are forever locked in dialogical struggle, jockeying for dominance with a significant degree of futility. Both are bleak, fatalistic Greek tragedies, where hubris and naïveté inevitably destroy everyone involved, and no one is spared.

Interesting. The Wire is the best TV show I've ever seen but it hadn't really occurred to me to compare the two. I guess I am sufficiently cynical to accept any level of corruption, dysfunction and dehumanising indifference in a more modern setting, but then it is obvious if you read/watch the daily news. I guess what I keep forgetting about GOT is that while its setting is drastically different its theme is ultimately very similar. Another thing that catches me out is that the fantasy genre is a more common backdrop for stories without a heroic arc clear good guys and a more clear delineation between the forces of good and evil. That said, Martin does seem to take delight in doing away with the most popular characters at a rate that leaves The Wire cold, or perhaps there are characters that are more unambiguously sympathetic in GOT, so their deaths have more impact. There are very few pure souls in the Wire, though as the article states some very likeable ones, and while they lose often they seldom lose their lives.

I've never seen The Wire, but Game of Thrones has reminded me about the things that I've heard of The Wire. I looked to see if anyone's compared the two, and I found this article. I find it to be pretty good description of the essence of Game of Thrones:

Mike Cavalier said:
You might find certain people, like Tyrion Lannister or Jimmy McNulty, more likable than others, but this is not about them; this is not their story, nor is it their hero’s journey. If anything, it’s the world itself — Westeros or West Baltimore — that serves in place of the central character. The citizens are merely collateral damage, and the villain is The System itself (be it the Iron Throne or the city’s bureaucracy), with its countless instances of corruption, dysfunction, and dehumanizing indifference to suffering.

These are shows that are ultimately about power: the structures that organize it, and competing strategies to seize it. The different clans, cultures, religions, ideologies, professions, and social classes are forever locked in dialogical struggle, jockeying for dominance with a significant degree of futility. Both are bleak, fatalistic Greek tragedies, where hubris and naïveté inevitably destroy everyone involved, and no one is spared.

Interesting. The Wire is the best TV show I've ever seen but it hadn't really occurred to me to compare the two. I guess I am sufficiently cynical to accept any level of corruption, dysfunction and dehumanising indifference in a more modern setting, but then it is obvious if you read/watch the daily news. I guess what I keep forgetting about GOT is that while its setting is drastically different its theme is ultimately very similar. Another thing that catches me out is that the fantasy genre is a more common backdrop for stories without a heroic arc clear good guys and a more clear delineation between the forces of good and evil. That said, Martin does seem to take delight in doing away with the most popular characters at a rate that leaves The Wire cold, or perhaps there are characters that are more unambiguously sympathetic in GOT, so their deaths have more impact. There are very few pure souls in the Wire, though as the article states some very likeable ones, and while they lose often they seldom lose their lives.

Which characters are these? Of the ones that the books really take the time to develop only two have died. Since I've read the books, I am invested with those characters in the show more so than the others. Take Robb Stark. In the books he is really a rather minor character. I remember when the Red Wedding happened on the show, people could not believe that he was killed off. I suppose they do develop his character a bit more, and apparently he had a lot of sex appeal.

Mike Cavalier said:

Which characters are these? Of the ones that the books really take the time to develop only two have died. Since I've read the books, I am invested with those characters in the show more so than the others. Take Robb Stark. In the books he is really a rather minor character. I remember when the Red Wedding happened on the show, people could not believe that he was killed off. I suppose they do develop his character a bit more, and apparently he had a lot of sex appeal.
I don't know about that. Robb was always the least interesting character to me. Kind of flat and stereotypical? I don't know. But I admit the actor who played him looks a lot like someone I know who is sort of vapid and pretentious, so could be I'm influenced by that. I didn't care that he was in love and was going to have a baby and I didn't care if he ever came into power. I did care about Catelyn, though. ugh. That was a difficult episode.

Mike Cavalier said:

I don't know about that. Robb was always the least interesting character to me. Kind of flat and stereotypical? I don't know. But I admit the actor who played him looks a lot like someone I know who is sort of vapid and pretentious, so could be I'm influenced by that. I didn't care that he was in love and was going to have a baby and I didn't care if he ever came into power. I did care about Catelyn, though. ugh. That was a difficult episode.
Well Catelyn was really the reason the Red Wedding was such a big deal. But her and her husband are the only two major characters that have been killed off, as far as I am concerned.

Okay, maybe I should have been more careful with my word selection and said 'doing away with characters like I like' :) But seriously a character does not need to be major to be popular.

There are a few categories of characters that I have been unhappy to see go:
Well developed and sympathetic - like Ned and Catelyn
Bland but you care because you support their cause - Rob and to a certain extent his wife - though she was actually much less bland than him.
Not as well developed but awesome and you support their cause - Oberyn
Good characters without much screen-time - The Dancing master, Yoren

I suppose I shouldn't complain - it's a testament to the people producing the show that they have more killed off more interesting characters than some other TV shows actually have.

I suppose I shouldn't complain - it's a testament to the people producing the show that they have more killed off more interesting characters than some other TV shows actually have.

Well, that has nothing to do with the people producing the show. That's like applauding the people making the latest version of Romeo and Juliet for making the daring choice to have it end with a starting twist of having the main characters poison themselves at the end.

Well, that has nothing to do with the people producing the show. That's like applauding the people making the latest version of Romeo and Juliet for making the daring choice to have it end with a starting twist of having the main characters poison themselves at the end.

Dude. Spoiler alert!! :mad:

Well, not the outcome - but the bringing to life of the characters. Yes the producers had the books as a base for the characters but that does not always help, some character adaptations out there are woeful. My point was that they have taken the story in the books and populated the TV series with very interesting characters - enough that those who have been killed outnumber the totality of actually interesting characters in some other series.

It's been a while since I read one of the books - I have been waiting till the end of season four to pick up the 3rd volume. I find this way I am not disappointed by the conversion to screen and am loving the series so far in spite of the above average offing of likeable characters.

I miss ranger Will. :(

Anyone else feel sorry for Hodor? The shit he has to put up with...

Last edited:
Well Catelyn was really the reason the Red Wedding was such a big deal. But her and her husband are the only two major characters that have been killed off, as far as I am concerned.

umm.......

Wish the next book would come out already!

Still my favorite scene this episode was Arya's response!! Come on, that was classic!!

Hey! He still hasn't completely spoiled it!
Juliet

only pretended to poison herself to deathness.

I felt really bad for Hodor when he had to

Kill that one guy

Just saying...

sWCPt34.png

So any thoughts on the attack on the Wall? I seriously wonder how they are going to close it out next week. Having read all the books, it's really impossible to say as they time lines overlap. Still not sure how they will be able to keep next season interesting.

So any thoughts on the attack on the Wall? I seriously wonder how they are going to close it out next week. Having read all the books, it's really impossible to say as they time lines overlap. Still not sure how they will be able to keep next season interesting.

It was alright but a bit confusing telling who was who at times in the fight. I was disappointed that it only ran 50 minutes, so more has to be crammed into the finale next week.

Well, that would be quite a change, because there's some stabbing going on at the end of Shakespeare's play!!!
BTW a character I really wished had disappeared long ago was killed in of Episode 9 of Game of Throneslast night. Won't have to see that irritating, poorly acted character any more:slowclap:

- - - Updated - - -

It was alright but a bit confusing telling who was who at times in the fight. I was disappointed that it only ran 50 minutes, so more has to be crammed into the finale next week.
I agree.

Well, that would be quite a change, because there's some stabbing going on at the end of Shakespeare's play!!!
BTW a character I really wished had disappeared long ago was killed in of Episode 9 of Game of Throneslast night. Won't have to see that irritating, poorly acted character any more:slowclap:

- - - Updated - - -

I agree.
Agreed.

Back
Top Bottom