• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Gamers = Muslims

So, what's the deal? Are there really gamers who have become so antisocial, they've become a threat to public order, or is this another case of attention whore deficit disorder?

There are people who've become so antisocial they are a threat to public attention, who also happen to be gamers. None of them became that way *because* of gaming, though.

I am not asking a chicken or the egg question. My question is, is there actually a segment of the gamer community who are willing to kill people who seem to be a threat to gamer tradition or practice?

There are people who've become so antisocial they are a threat to public attention, who also happen to be gamers. None of them became that way *because* of gaming, though.

I am not asking a chicken or the egg question. My question is, is there actually a segment of the gamer community who are willing to kill people who seem to be a threat to gamer tradition or practice?

If there is, I certainly haven't heard of them. The worst I've heard is of cases where some idiots call in things like bomb threats or what not on people livestreaming gameplay in order to have the "joy" of watching someone get violently arrested by a swat team; you could argue that given the possible danger involved with someone reacting the wrong way to armed gunmen storming his house, the people who do that don't care about the lives of the people they're toying with for fun, but they're not targeting for the reasons you asked examples of.

If there is, I certainly haven't heard of them. The worst I've heard is of cases where some idiots call in things like bomb threats or what not on people livestreaming gameplay in order to have the "joy" of watching someone get violently arrested by a swat team; you could argue that given the possible danger involved with someone reacting the wrong way to armed gunmen storming his house, the people who do that don't care about the lives of the people they're toying with for fun, but they're not targeting for the reasons you asked examples of.

As far as I can tell, soccer fans are much more dangerous than gamers.

I have actually gotten one death threat from someone, though they were so far away (Romania) that they were not at all likely to be a threat. I cut off all contact from them anyway, so I do understand Sarkeesian's reaction.

So, what's the deal? Are there really gamers who have become so antisocial, they've become a threat to public order, or is this another case of attention whore deficit disorder?
Public order will be fine.

The fact that people think it's that much of a problem - including Underseer equivocating gamers and Muslims - just goes to show the dishonesty of the gaming media, who are doing their best to demonise gamers.

the idea that this is in any way because "gamers" is both hilarious and frighteningly retarded.

very very simple breakdown of how and why things like death threats happen, not just here but in every case that has ever happened in the history of the species:
1. someone with any iota of celebrity or public exposure.
2. human nature.

the only difference between this incident (or, really, any/all incidents in the last 10 years when people started acting like 'internet culture' was a thing that had some kind of importance) and "real life" is that the people getting the death threats publicize it in this context.
underseer do you honestly think that women who say things some men don't like on TV don't get death threats *all the time*? do you really think that politicians and talk show hosts aren't getting death threats 20 times a day?
because let me tell you, they are - but they don't post a scanned photo of each letter to their blogs, and they don't dedicate an hour of their show to talking about it.

the rate of irrational fucktards saying messed up shit to people is no higher within the "gamer" community than it is in any other community, it's only the rate of reporting what was said that is higher.

And no, Muslims do not universally believe that unbelievers should be killed any more than Christians universally believe that abortion doctors should be murdered. So even if we ignored the special pleading fallacy, your argument still doesn't work.

So, now it's not just Muslims and gamers, but also Christians who fit into this category. Anyone else you want to include? Or is 'humans' the better fit. And while we are here talking about Muslims, gamers, and Christians making death threats, we can also talk about which of these groups have a history of actually following through with those threats. Muslims against infidels, check. Christians against abortion providers, check. Gamers against vocal anti-misogynist gamers, I can't think of any, but you are welcome to post links to any that missed.

The fact that people think it's that much of a problem - including Underseer equivocating gamers and Muslims - just goes to show the dishonesty of the gaming media, who are doing their best to demonise gamers.

I never made the claim that gamers kill as many people as Muslims, nor did I make the claim that gamers are as dangerous as Muslims.

"Death to those who say Islam is not a religion of peace!"

"I'm gonna use anonymous rape threats to prove to that Sarkeesean bitch that we're not misogynists!"

In both cases, you cannot convince the person that their response is wrong or stupid. Why? Because the person they are angry at is a really, really bad person who did a really, really bad thing. How can anyone not draw parallels between the two?

I never made the claim that gamers kill as many people as Muslims, nor did I make the claim that gamers are as dangerous as Muslims.

"I'm gonna use anonymous rape threats to prove to that Sarkeesean bitch that we're not misogynists!"

In both cases, you cannot convince the person that their response is wrong or stupid. Why? Because the person they are angry at is a really, really bad person who did a really, really bad thing. How can anyone not draw parallels between the two?

"We respect human life from inception, so let's kill them abortionists!"

"We respect human life from inception, so let's kill them abortionists!"

"We respect human life from inception, so let's bomb the Muslims!"

Islam is a religion of "peace", but their definition of "peace" is more like our definition of "subjugation". Killing dissenters is a reasonable means towards establishing that sort of peace. As for the latter, you've simply made that up. Nobody in the entire history of the world has ever honestly spoken or even thought that sentence.

To me this thread seems like a way to use "muslims" as a pejorative to admonish misogynism in gamer culture. "With your sexist attitudes, you are no better than those stinking muslims!"

Generally speaking, gamers do not issue fatwas to my knowledge.

Generally speaking, neither do muslims.

Come on folks. This muslim bashing is way below your standards. Just because some idiots are muslims doesnt mean that all muslims are idiots.

I don't think it's below the OP's standards at all.

Back
Top Bottom