• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Merged Gaza just launched an unprovoked attack on Israel

To denote when two or more threads have been merged
Do you think they still have the capability to carry out such an operation?
At this moment, no.
The harder Israel pounds Gaza the longer it will be before they do.
But given the opportunity, they've made it clear that they intend to. So if Israel capitulates any further than they already have, Hamas and their supporters will be back launching terrorist attacks sooner rather than later.

As long as people keep referring to Israeli self defense as "genocide", ethnic cleansing, or war crimes and such, Israel will have to pound Gaza that much harder to make it that much more difficult for Muslim terrorism to regain the military installations needed to cause another October 7.
Tom

2) Something is wrong here. It's reportedly a consulate, adjacent to the embassy. Except you never find consulates adjacent to embassies. Consulates are about expanding coverage and will always be dispersed. Almost always the capital will have only embassies, no consulates and other cities will have consulates and no embassies. Occasional exceptions can arise if a country moves it's capital--the embassies aren't obligated to relocate.
Actually it's not that unusual. Consulates and embassies have different functions. Consulates are all about mundane services for your citizens like getting your kid a passport; embassies are all about negotiations between governments. The French consulate and embassy in Washington D.C. are in opposite wings of the same building; the Brazilian consulate and embassy are two miles apart.

So, whatever happened to the recent Iranian foray into international piracy?
A few days back, the Iranian military commandeered a cargo ship, Portuguese flagged Aries. It is owned by a British company, bound from UAE to India at the time.
The pretext was that the company was partly owned by an Israeli.

Where's the international law? Does it apply to Iran? Or is it kinda like US law was back in the day. Whether law enforcement applied depended on what race the parties involved were.
Tom

At this moment, no.
The harder Israel pounds Gaza the longer it will be before they do.
But given the opportunity, they've made it clear that they intend to. So if Israel capitulates any further than they already have, Hamas and their supporters will be back launching terrorist attacks sooner rather than later.

As long as people keep referring to Israeli self defense as "genocide", ethnic cleansing, or war crimes and such, Israel will have to pound Gaza that much harder to make it that much more difficult for Muslim terrorism to regain the military installations needed to cause another October 7.
Tom
Let me get this straight. You are arguing that the more frequent and louder the false accusation of genocide is made against Israel, the more Israel will act to make it look true?

Let me get this straight. You are arguing that the more frequent and louder the false accusation of genocide is made against Israel, the more Israel will act to make it look true?
No.
The more Hamas supporters keep up the lies the more important it becomes to destroy Hamas' ability to resume the terrorist attacks. Also, the less reason Israel has to bother with the opinions of the international supporters of Islamic terrorists, which are legion. You are one.
Tom

No.
The more Hamas supporters keep up the lies the more important it becomes to destroy Hamas' ability to resume the terrorist attacks.
But according to you, that means more pounding which simply provides more ammunition for the false accusations.
Also, the less reason Israel has to bother with the opinions of the international supporters of Islamic terrorists, which are legion. You are one.
Tom
Even though you cannot find a single post where I support Hamas or say that Israel is committing genocide (in fact in the previous one and this one, I repeat that it is a false accusation), you feel the need to sling a slanderous accusation. The predictability of those canards does not make them any less boring or tiring. But you keep being you.

Where's the international law? Does it apply to Iran?
I am interested morbidly fascinated to know what you think "international law" is.

Do you think that the UN can send some cops round with a warrant to arrest Iran and search the country for stolen property?

International law is (and always has been) far more a set of guidelines than an enforcable code. Particularly as any one of the five permanent members of the UN security council can veto any enforcement action.

Do you think Russia would not veto any UN sanction against Iran?

Are you even aware that that would be a necessary precursor to any lawful international effort to do anything?

The reality is that if you break international law, and you have at least one of the "big five" in your corner, the only sanction possible is an extralegal military strike - IF your opponent has both the means and the resolve to carry one out.

International law is just a loose set of guidelines. The penalty for breaking international law is the disapprobation of other nations, and the shame of seeing headlines that say "Iran violates international law". Again.

If you want more, join the club. But be very careful what you wish for - do you really want the UN to be able to back all of its "laws" with military force?

I am interested morbidly fascinated to know what you think "international law" is.
It's one of those abstract concepts that people use to justify their views and behavior.
No matter how immoral or irrational, anyone can justify their behavior by appealing to "international law".
Or "God's Will", if that gets the job done.
Or whatever.

Doesn't matter, people will find a way to justify their behavior by appealing to a higher power.
Tom

ETA ~I'd bet a ton of money that Iran's opinions about what "international law" says and Israel's opinions are extremely different. But Iran can do whatever they want and international law supporters will wave it away, because they are too busy vilifying Israel for defending themselves against Iran and their supporters like Hamas and Gazans.
And the international community is compromised mainly of Islamic terrorist supporters. Like we have here in the USA.
~

If you want more, join the club. But be very careful what you wish for - do you really want the UN to be able to back all of its "laws" with military force?
No
I say Yes!
If the UN started to enforce all it's "Laws', evenly, this would be a better world.
But I don't that they will.

The UN will keep explaining why Israel is a villain and Hamas is the hero of the narrative.

And the violence will continue.
Tom

No
I say Yes!
If the UN started to enforce all it's "Laws', evenly, this would be a better world.

The UN will keep explaining why Israel is a villain and Hamas is the hero of the narrative.
Can provide actual evidence that the UN continually explains that Israel is a villain and that Hamas is a hero? Or is that just your interpretation of events?

No
I say Yes!

Can provide actual evidence that the UN continually explains that Israel is a villain
Israel has been condemned 45 times by the UNHRC since 2006. More than any other nation.
and that Hamas is a hero?
Hamas been criticised once by the UN

That should be sufficient even for you as to how the UN views Israel as a villain.

No
I say Yes!

Can provide actual evidence that the UN continually explains that Israel is a villain
Israel has been condemned 45 times by the UNHRC since 2006. More than any other nation.

That should be sufficient even for you as to how the UN views Israel as a villain.
It doesn't match the narrative he's attached to.
Tom

No
I say Yes!

The UNHRC is not the General Assembly, but okay.

According to the Times of Israel UN condemns Israel more than all other countries combined
Since 2015, the General Assembly has adopted 140 resolutions criticizing Israel, mainly over its treatment of the Palestinians, its relationships with neighboring countries and other alleged wrongdoings. Over the same period, it has passed 68 resolutions against all other countries, UN Watch said.

The UN (and in fact, most adults) do not use the term "hero" or "villain" when discussing countries. I was actually interested to see what someone was conveying factual information.

Hamas has explicitly said they intend 10/7 to simply be the tip of the iceberg of their genocide. Turn the other cheek isn't going to work.
Not right now, but if they're left alone it's going to happen again. And again. And again.

It's perfectly legal to shoot the guy who is reloading, you are under no obligation to wait until he has reloaded.

Hamas has explicitly said they intend 10/7 to simply be the tip of the iceberg of their genocide. Turn the other cheek isn't going to work.
Good question since they lacked the capability on 10/6.
To call this bonkers would be an insult to bonkers. Of course they had the capability on 10/6! They were executing a plan, not doing something off the cuff. Nobody does things on this scale without lots of advance planning unless they have no choice--and an attack is a choice. Looking back we can see preparations going back years.

To call this bonkers would be an insult to bonkers. Of course they had the capability on 10/6! They were executing a plan, not doing something off the cuff. Nobody does things on this scale without lots of advance planning unless they have no choice--and an attack is a choice. Looking back we can see preparations going back years.
And if the goal was annihilation, it came up quite a bit short. And it was very very low tech. It was an effective terror attack, but your repeated claims of permanent Holocaust are hyperbole. Even the Germans couldn't manage that.

Of course, my point was regarding Iran, not Hamas. And aiming to keep the number of additional dead Israelis as close to zero as possible.

And if the goal was annihilation, it came up quite a bit short. And it was very very low tech. It was an effective terror attack, but your repeated claims of permanent Holocaust are hyperbole. Even the Germans couldn't manage that.
I'm claiming intent, not capability. Are you saying they are lying when they say they intend to repeat 10/7 until Israel is gone?

Of course, my point was regarding Iran, not Hamas. And aiming to keep the number of additional dead Israelis as close to zero as possible.
But your answer for Israeli "safety" has always been appeasement. Israel has had enough of the world saying appeasement is the answer.

It is bonkers to seriously think Hamas had the capability to carry out genocide. If they had the capability of wiping out the Jews in Israel ( that is what genocide means) they would have done so.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom