• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Gender Roles

And don't <expletive deleted> pretend that you didn't make a post
"Pretend". Oh for the love of god. That the post isn't there to speak for itself is your doing, not mine.

attempting to goad me on gender and pronouns
I wasn't trying to goad you; I'd have greatly preferred it if you'd overlooked the insubordination and just let me be me. I was attempting to comply with your desire not to have your gender specified without in the process saying a bunch of other stuff that isn't true and that you have no grounds to demand I say.

with <expletive deleted> games pulling in some other language just to not use plain and common English,
The words you're trying to drag kicking and screaming out of my mouth and resorting to social violence against me in pursuit of your imperialistic goal are not "plain and common English". They're Newspeak. English doesn't have words for the meaning I meant to convey so I pulled in a language that does. If I'd said the words you picked out for me as though I meant them, I'd have been lying. I will not lie for you.
I'll try not to get involved in your two goading (or not goading) each other, but linguistics is what I have a degree in. And from a linguistic perspective, it's clear that singular "they" is at least as old as Modern English.

Here's an example from Shakespeare: "
There's not a man I meet but doth salute me
As if I were their well-acquainted friend."

And another from the King James Bible: "Let nothing bee done through strife, or vaine glory, but in lowlinesse of minde let each esteeme other better then themselues."

(Examples via https://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=24504, there's more there)

It appears English does have a word for "a person who's sex not known or irrelevant, in the singular", and it's "they" (which just so happens to also be a word for "persons, plural" and for "inanimate objects, plural"), but prescriptivists since the late 18th/ early 19th century have been doing a fairly good job of convincing the general public that English is really just Latin with some of its vocabulary replaced with Saxon terms, and thus the only acceptable usage of "they" is one that would also be available for the closest Latin equivalent of traditional English "they" in its most common interpretation.

That said, even as the excuse that English doesn't have a word to express the meaning you intended doesn't really stand, I would have preferred your choice of Estonian pronouns to stay unchallenged. I also would have preferred you to add a footnote explaining what you did and why, which would have avoided the accusation of goading (and would have allowed me to correct you back then), but I'm not the dictator of what happens on the forum, and it would be a dull place indeed if I were.

If course, feel free to make the argument that Shakespeare and the King James Bible have submitted to bullying by the trans lobby and "real English" is and always has been what early 19th century prescriptivists rediscovered. I expect details. If convincing, it may land you an interdisciplinary publication.

Last edited:
See above - I've never heard a feminist critique of non-segregated restrooms in those places were they always existed, why would it become a feminist issue when a few more places decide to have them?
Um, because taking things away from people riles them up more than having grown up accustomed to never having had them.
That's not the scenario we're talking about though. People in 1990s Austria were very much accustomed to sex-segregated restrooms. They were the norm. They just weren't universal.
Saying "the women's is for women only, and women are people with a uterus and a vagina" which seems to be Emily's position, would have them sent to the men's, and saying that's not an optimal solution implies nothing about where merely self-ID'd transwomen should go.
Sorry, trying not to continue this particular line of discussion beyond answering your questions, but I can't let that stand. What you say "seems to be Emily's position" is not Emily's position.
Let's let her speak for herself:
I thought you couldn't stand penises in the women's room.
I'd rather not have penises in female single-sex spaces. But again, if I don't know then I don't know. If a man passes as a woman well enough that I can't tell they're a man, then I'm not going to know that they have a penis at all, will I?
The way I parse that is that her preferred solution would indeed be no trans women in the ladies' but she's willing to let trans women who "pass" in, but only because enforcing their exclusion would imply harassing cis women to prove their status at the sink. The problem is (or rather one problem), given the reality of cis women with unusually masculine appearance, that some cis women will still have to show their genitals to vigilantes with a more rigorous idea about who does or doesn't pass then the rest of us, unless we make this a mere recommendation, ignoring which is a breach of courtesy rather than a breach of law. If we do, the entire discussion is obsolete.

"Pretend". Oh for the love of god. That the post isn't there to speak for itself is your doing, not mine.

I wasn't trying to goad you; I'd have greatly preferred it if you'd overlooked the insubordination and just let me be me. I was attempting to comply with your desire not to have your gender specified without in the process saying a bunch of other stuff that isn't true and that you have no grounds to demand I say.

with <expletive deleted> games pulling in some other language just to not use plain and common English,
The words you're trying to drag kicking and screaming out of my mouth and resorting to social violence against me in pursuit of your imperialistic goal are not "plain and common English". They're Newspeak. English doesn't have words for the meaning I meant to convey so I pulled in a language that does. If I'd said the words you picked out for me as though I meant them, I'd have been lying. I will not lie for you.
I'll try not to get involved in your two goading (or not goading) each other, but linguistics is what I have a degree in. And from a linguistic perspective, it's clear that singular "they" is at least as old as Modern English.

And another from the King James Bible: "Let nothing bee done through strife, or vaine glory, but in lowlinesse of minde let each esteeme other better then themselues."

(Examples via https://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=24504, there's more there)

It appears English does have a word for "a person who's sex not known or irrelevant, in the singular", and it's "they" (which just so happens to also be a word for "persons, plural" and for "inanimate objects, plural"), but prescriptivists since the late 18th/ early 19th century have been doing a fairly good job of convincing the general public that English is really just Latin with some of its vocabulary replaced with Saxon terms, and thus the only acceptable usage of "they" is one that would also be available for the closest Latin equivalent of traditional English "they" in its most common interpretation.

That said, even as the excuse that English doesn't have a word to express the meaning you intended doesn't really stand, I would have preferred your choice of Estonian pronouns to stay unchallenged. I also would have preferred you to add a footnote explaining what you did and why, which would have avoided the accusation of goading (and would have allowed me to correct you back then), but I'm not the dictator of what happens on the forum, and it would be a dull place indeed if I were.

If course, feel free to make the argument that Shakespeare and the King James Bible have submitted to bullying by the trans lobby and "real English" is and always has been what early 19th century prescriptivists rediscovered. I expect details. If convincing, it may land you an interdisciplinary publication.
My expectation is that use of a special and different pronoun than any that even exists in English that was not selected nor accepted but foisted is, unless accepted by the target, inappropriate.

If he had asked, I would say no as much because I prefer the ambiguity of "they" not merely in ambiguity of gender but also in terms of ambiguity of quantity. After all, I consider "unconscious" and "subconscious" a set of misnomers; I have good reason to think that sometimes "co-conscious" might be a better term for some processes of the human mind?

My expectation is that use of a special and different pronoun than any that even exists in English that was not selected nor accepted but foisted is, unless accepted by the target, inappropriate.

If he had asked, I would say no as much because I prefer the ambiguity of "they" not merely in ambiguity of gender but also in terms of ambiguity of quantity. After all, I consider "unconscious" and "subconscious" a set of misnomers; I have good reason to think that sometimes "co-conscious" might be a better term for some processes of the human mind?
I honestly have no idea what any of that means. You suspect you have a multiple personality "disorder" and therefore prefer a pronoun that doesn't strongly imply the singular?

Last edited:
Wait staff 1: (concerned) "Someone left their umbrella at the table, I hope they come back for it."
Wait staff 2: (scoffing at 1) "I hope they left it here for me."

Starring: The Singular They

We've had a handful of posters who regularly started threads with the general tone of "feminists bad bad" over in PD but would go all feminist when talking about Muslims and trans people.
Hmm. Not sure which posters you're referring to, but I can't help but wonder if this is another case analogous to that of a certain BIPOC libertarian we all know who regularly gets accused of being a white-supremacist Trumpsucker every time he criticizes the Democrats. Non-feminist does not equal misogynist, but that has never stopped a lot of feminists from talking like they have a monopoly on non-misogyny. So I have to suspect what you're calling "go all feminist" refers to them simply applying their own ideologies' and values' implications for who should prevail when women's best interests conflict with Muslims' or trans people's priorities, and perhaps you perceive that as going "all feminist" because you're taking a binary view of a multi-polar ideological landscape.

Not sure if they're still active, I avoid that place.
That's probably good for the blood pressure.

We've had a handful of posters who regularly started threads with the general tone of "feminists bad bad" over in PD but would go all feminist when talking about Muslims and trans people.
Hmm. Not sure which posters you're referring to, but I can't help but wonder if this is another case analogous to that of a certain BIPOC libertarian we all know who regularly gets accused of being a white-supremacist Trumpsucker every time he criticizes the Democrats. Non-feminist does not equal misogynist, but that has never stopped a lot of feminists from talking like they have a monopoly on non-misogyny. So I have to suspect what you're calling "go all feminist" refers to them simply applying their own ideologies' and values' implications for who should prevail when women's best interests conflict with Muslims' or trans people's priorities, and perhaps you perceive that as going "all feminist" because you're taking a binary view of a multi-polar ideological landscape.

Not sure if they're still active, I avoid that place.
That's probably good for the blood pressure.
Not sure I may not be breaking forum rules by singing out posters who haven't even been active in this thread, but Derec and Trausti come to mind.

I said that, to the extent that "biologically female cognition" is a meaningful concept, which I find a highly debatable notion,
Every notion in science is debatable -- that's kind of the difference between faith and science -- but if you mean you find it unlikely to be correct, that strikes me as a reversion to pre-Copernican attitudes of human centrality. "Biologically female cognition" is a perfectly meaningful concept in lions, in ducks, in alligators, in lemurs, in baboons, in gorillas.
it certainly is if you consider behaviour and cognition as isomorphic. I'm not sure that's a notion most cognitive scientists today would subscribe to.

Until either you or Jokodo can be bothered to actually explain what you think "biologically female cognition" means in the context of humans, and in what way it's applicable to this topic... I reject the premise as being relevant.
I would go further and argue that the language being used is misleading and obfuscating. By using the term "cognition" here, the implication is that females form thoughts through a different mechanism than that used by males - and I do not believe there is any evidence to support that. If you wish to discuss behavioral tendencies that generally differ on the basis of sex, that's something else altogether. Behavioral tendencies do exist as part of our evolution, and those tendencies do vary by sex. But that's something entirely different from cognition.
I am puzzled as to what it is you two think determines the voluntary behavior of sentient animals, if not cognition. I'm not considering behavior and cognition as isomorphic -- a Venus Flytrap closing on a bug or a human speeding up his heart rate when in pain are evidently not caused by cognition, and there may be all sorts of cognitive differences that aren't reflected in behavior. But how is it possible for lions and lionesses to have systematically different behavioral tendencies without first having systematic cognitive differences to bring them about? What, are lioness's different decisions in the same situations a purely mechanical reaction to not being as heavy as lions? On its face you two appear to be disputing that this is a cause-and-effect universe. Or perhaps you two mean something different by "cognition" from what I mean.

As far as "females form thoughts through a different mechanism than that used by males" goes, yes, of course they do. Everybody forms thoughts through a different mechanism from that used by everybody else. I form thoughts through a different mechanism from that used by you two: I form them using my brain and you form them using your brains, and my brain and your brains are three different mechanisms. No people's brains are alike. When two people choose differently in the same situation, what cause is there in the universe to account for that, apart from some difference in the thought-forming mechanisms their respective brains implement?

Hmm. Not sure which posters you're referring to, but I can't help but wonder if this is another case analogous to that of a certain BIPOC libertarian we all know who regularly gets accused of being a white-supremacist Trumpsucker every time he criticizes the Democrats.
Yeah I'm sure he's one of those "dindu nuffin" types.

Why would anyone think *he's* racist? He just often posts about black people in negative ways, and has a strange focus on them. Particularly black criminals. But totally unfair to suggest he might be racist!
People can be racist without being white supremacist. People with Native Anerican background, for example, can be racist against blacks, Asians, or any other group without being white supremacist.

Why would anyone think *he's* racist? He just often posts about black people in negative ways, and has a strange focus on them. Particularly black criminals. But totally unfair to suggest he might be racist!
People can be racist without being white supremacist. People with Native Anerican background, for example, can be racist against blacks, Asians, or any other group without being white supremacist.
Sure but that doesn't mean it's necessarily unreasonable to consider white supremacy as a possibility.

Sure but that doesn't mean it's necessarily unreasonable to consider white supremacy as a possibility.
If the person is Native American?

Kanye West loves Hitler. *shrug*

White supremacy is an ideology, not a skin color.

So, I'm not sure if this thread is exactly the best place to discuss the nature and mutability of the concept of "self", not just in terms of internal dissociations, but in terms of external associations, such that I could cover fully the ambiguity of my plurality.

If you can stomach reading through my thread on gods, you would understand why "atheist" doesn't describe me well or cleanly, for instance. Similarly, my existence as some specific "self" is complicated, and complicated largely by the fact that "this thing" generally results as an arbitrary selection of stuff, including the notion of "self". Once you've made a selection you can talk about it, but the selector in at least something we could momentarily agree on as being 'me' is simply not singular, and is fairly arbitrary.

Still, it's the case that once you have a collection of stuff, even if it was selected arbitrarily, you can still stay true stuff about it, at least in part, by dint of having an expressed boundary.

That boundary ends up being placed in a lot of ways over time, the largest of which I'm not really averse to being multiple whole human people working together as the same general identity. There is a sensory surface "innermost me" experiences. It's not always giving meaningful feed, but it's always there. Within the boundary of "my skull", this is a small subsection, and most importantly it's not the only part with a recursive feed about it's own activities, it's not the only part that experiences "consciousness".

The human brain as a tensor process has limited capabilities of associating distant areas between parts. This means that naturally, we cannot help but have dissociation by degrees.

As much as I try to aim for particularly high association between the regions of my brain that do more than "mowing the grass" (and I am very fortunate to have those "mowing the grass" parts to my brain), I am generally quite happy with not generally being aware of my breathing, but having something aware of whether I am or not and keeping the thing going is still really important, after all. Depending on the context of the question, I would address you as "all of the meat from the skin in", or "as just the selector"; "you" can be just as arbitrary a selection as "me", after all.

I apologize if this is very weird or strange to consider, or even to accept, but I do get a good deal of value out of being able to freely associate and dissociate within the context of "self" and I think this qualifies me fairly uniquely as "not a single thing". While this could define anyone assuming they have any dimension to their personality at all, I do know for certain it describes "all of that which has been 'me' so far".

Apologies if this I presented this in a way that is very dense or hard to approach. Usually I don't have any cause to actually unpack "they" because it's awkward and occasionally makes people uncomfortable to be confronted with the idea that their sense of self might be more flexible than they would readily want.

Hmm. Not sure which posters you're referring to, but I can't help but wonder if this is another case analogous to that of a certain BIPOC libertarian we all know who regularly gets accused of being a white-supremacist Trumpsucker every time he criticizes the Democrats.
Why are you sure of that?

Why would anyone think *he's* racist? He just often posts about black people in negative ways, and has a strange focus on them. Particularly black criminals.
Cite?

But totally unfair to suggest he might be racist!
It certainly is. I'm getting the sense that you and I are talking about two different people. I was referring to Jason. What BIPOC libertarian are you talking about?

... just to not use plain and common English,
The words you're trying to drag kicking and screaming out of my mouth ... are not "plain and common English". They're Newspeak. English doesn't have words for the meaning I meant to convey so I pulled in a language that does. ...
... linguistics is what I have a degree in.
Cool! Let's talk linguistics.

And from a linguistic perspective, it's clear that singular "they" is at least as old as Modern English.
Not so clear...

Thanks for injecting some hard data. Let's see what it tells us...

It appears English does have a word for "a person who's sex not known or irrelevant, in the singular", and it's "they" (which just so happens to also be a word for "persons, plural" and for "inanimate objects, plural"),
That's not hard data; that's a theory. I.e., it's a testable hypothesis that's been proposed as an explanation for hard data. Testing it means answering three questions. How well does it predict actual in-the-wild examples of the usage in question? How badly does it falsely predict examples of the usage in question? And how does it compare with competing theories?

For the first question, Shakespeare? Check. Bible? Check.

For the second question, all your examples are usage, so I went browsing for examples of non-usage in the wild. From the Columbia thread:

<expletive deleted> Bibi. He will kill as many people as he can get away with.​

"... the guy running Israel is a moron clinging to the office to keep himself out of jail" FIFY.​

And from the Robert Sapolsky thread:

This was an interesting read, but I disagree completely with his reasoning. ...
There are statements of his views in one paragraph that I absolutely reject:

There are major implications, he notes: Absent free will, no one should be held responsible for their behavior, good or bad. ...​

I suspect that when it comes to his personal life, he would expect anyone who harmed him to be punished for that behavior.​

So Elixir passed up opportunities to write "They will kill as many people as they can get away with." and "clinging to the office to keep themselves out of jail.". The New York Times author passed up an opportunity to write "There are major implications, they note". And Ruth passed up opportunities to write " I disagree completely with their reasoning", "There are statements of their views", and "I suspect that when it comes to their personal life, they would expect anyone who harmed them to be punished". So either Netanyahu's sex and Sapolsky's sex are relevant to Israeli war practices and the free-will debate, respectively, or else your theoretical explanation for the use of the grammatical construction under discussion has a serious over-prediction problem. I submit that Bibi's and Robert's maleness is irrelevant to what was being said about them. If the theory were correct then English-speakers would use "they/them/their" for singular antecedents a lot more than we do.

For the third question, I don't know what competing theories linguists have considered, but the one that occurs to me is that "they" isn't being treated as an honorary singular pronoun after all; rather, the grammatically singular antecedents in these cases are treated as honorary groups. Let's look at some examples from your link;

Samuel Richardson, Pamela, or Virtue Rewarded:
I beg you will look over my poor matters, and let every one have what belongs to them; for, said I, you know I am resolved to take with me only what I can properly call my own.

Jonathan Edwards, Heaven:
... everyone will have their distinguishing gift, one after this manner, and another after that,, the perfection of the saints in glory, nothing hindering.

Benjamin Franklin, Autobiography:
But my giving this account of it here is to show something of the interest I had, everyone of these exerting themselves in recommending business to us.

Daniel Defoe, Robinson Crusoe:
Hence it is, that a miser, though he pays every body their own, cannot be an honest man, when he does not discharge the good offices that are incumbent on a friendly, kind, and generous person.

Jonathan Swift, Polite Conversation:
Every fool can do as they're bid.

Jane Austen, Sense and Sensibility:
Each of them was busy in arranging their particular concerns, and endeavouring, by placing around them books and other possessions, to form themselves a home.

Sir Walter Scott, Ivanhoe:
I return in my grave-clothes, a pledge restored from the very sepulchre, and every one I speak to vanishes as soon as they hear my voice!

Charles Dickens, Nicholas Nickleby:
Let us give everybody their due.

Emily Brontë, Wuthering Heights:
I thought, though everybody hated and despised each other, they could not avoid loving me.

Charlotte Brontë, Henry Hastings:
I think I should have spoken to her, but something suggested to me, 'Every body has their own burden to bear. Let her drink the chalice fate commends to her lips.'

Louisa May Alcott, Little Women:
Everybody sniffed when they came to that part.

Anthony Trollope, The Way We Live Now:
Everybody doesn't make themselves a part of the family. I have heard of nobody doing it except you.

Thomas Hardy, The Return of the Native:
It is the instinct of everyone to look after their own.

Mark Twain, A Tramp Abroad:
I always ask everybody what ship they came over in.

Robert Lewis Stevenson, Treasure Island:
The admirable fellow literally slaved in my interest, and so, I may say, did everyone in Bristol, as soon as they got wind of the port we sailed for.

Winston Churchill, The Story of the Malakand Field Force:
Every one realised afterwards how obvious this was and wondered they had not thought of it before.

Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland:
'If everybody minded their own business,' the Duchess said in a hoarse growl, 'the world would go round a deal faster than it does.'

Henry James, An International Episode:
He thinks everyone clever, and sometimes they are.
I don't think I'm really going out on a limb here when I point out that "everybody" is a group. 19th-century prescriptivists' insistence that "everybody" is grammatically singular notwithstanding, it appears English-speakers have for centuries been taking into account that the constructions "everybody" and "every body" and "everyone" and "every one" and "every fool" and "each of them" in fact refer to more than one person.

Shakespeare:
There's not a man I meet but doth salute me As if I were their well-acquainted friend.

King James Bible
Let nothing bee done through strife, or vaine glory, but in lowlinesse of minde let each esteeme other better then themselues.

George Eliot, Middlemarch:
The fact is, I never loved any one well enough to put myself into a noose for them.

Wilkie Collins, The Moonstone:
It's the ebb now, sir, as anybody may see for themselves.

William Butler Yeats, Ideas of Good and Evil:
Since I was a boy I have always longed to hear poems spoken to a harp […] Whenever I spoke of my desire to anybody they said I should write for music,
The same goes for these examples. "Not ... but" is a double negative. (Not one doesn't salute me) is equivalent to (every one does salute me).
In "let each esteeme", each what? Well, each of ye, the old plural second-person pronoun -- the preceding verse is "Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind.
(Never loved any one well enough) is equivalent to (always loved every one not well enough).
If there's a semantic difference between (anybody may see for themselves) and (everybody may see for themselves), I'm not seeing it for myself.
And "Whenever I spoke of my desire to anybody" is making it pretty clear he did it more than once.

That addresses the bulk of your examples; let's look at the residue.

Agatha Christie, The Mysterious Affair at Styles:
If anyone has seen either of them touching the medicine, they will have forgotten it by that time.
That's a pretty thin reed to hang the theory of "singular they" on. Since the normal use of the construction is on actual groups that are merely grammatically singular, it looks to me like in this case Christie is promoting her hypothetical witness to the status of an honorary group because she's talking about an unknown member of the available pool of people who might have seen who touched the medicine.

So the theory of honorary plurality predicts all the same positive examples that the theory that "they" is a singular pronoun predicts; but it doesn't suffer from the false positives of the latter. People don't call Netanyahu or Sapolsky "they" because Netanyahu and Sapolsky are known individuals, not because their maleness is relevant to what's being said. So it looks to me like your theory doesn't match the hard data of usage as well as mine does.

Finally, consider the competing theories' performance on this data:

Sir Walter Scott, Ivanhoe:
I return in my grave-clothes, a pledge restored from the very sepulchre, and every one I speak to vanishes as soon as they hear my voice!

My theory passes the test on that observation with flying colors. But it seems to me that if "they" were actually a singular pronoun, then Sir Walter would have written:

* I return in my grave-clothes, a pledge restored from the very sepulchre, and every one I speak to vanishes as soon as they hears my voice!

That said, even as the excuse that English doesn't have a word to express the meaning you intended doesn't really stand, I would have preferred your choice of Estonian pronouns to stay unchallenged. I also would have preferred you to add a footnote explaining what you did and why
Yes, in retrospect it looks like I should have done that; but no, English doesn't have a word to express the meaning I intended. I did not intend to convey that the person I was talking about was a group or an unknown generic person drawn from an available pool.

If you have a corpus of examples of the construction being used on specific known individuals dating back to the beginnings of Modern English, I'm all ears.

Why are you sure of that?

Why would anyone think *he's* racist? He just often posts about black people in negative ways, and has a strange focus on them. Particularly black criminals.
Cite?

It certainly is. I'm getting the sense that you and I are talking about two different people. I was referring to Jason. What BIPOC libertarian are you talking about?

Ohhh Jason, the one who just argues business owners should be able to racially discriminate if they want to. Yeah, totally not racist.

Ohhh Jason, the one who just argues business owners should be able to racially discriminate if they want to. Yeah, totally not racist.
Um, you appear to be assuming if someone is against something then suppressing that thing must be his number one top priority. You're pro-choice, IIRC. So that means whenever you see a pregnant woman you totally want her baby to die?

Back
Top Bottom