• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

General Photography Thread

Looks the banning of Phone Cameras has made the thread less attractive.

Dude, seriously... :rolleyes:

It is near impossible for any OP to control the direction a thread takes, but if Jimmy wants this thread to be about and for camera photography, do you really need to be a jerk about it? Why not just start another thread specifically for smartphone photography?

I thought your photos were great, btw.

In fairness, on a forum where 75% of the activity has become 4 posters bickering about repetitive political issues, you might not want to make topics too narrow.
:D

General question that I'm not sure where to put so I thought I would put it here:

I'm interested in scanning a bunch of family photos. I have an embarrassing number, and generally the quality is about what one would expect from family photos over several decades. I had originally intended to put them on flash drives for offspring and will probably still do that but one cleverly suggested that a photo sharing site might be what I was really looking for. I do have about a decade's worth or more of digital photos as well....

Any suggestions for useful, easy to use apps that would allow me to have a single sharing site for family photos?

General question that I'm not sure where to put so I thought I would put it here:

I'm interested in scanning a bunch of family photos. I have an embarrassing number, and generally the quality is about what one would expect from family photos over several decades. I had originally intended to put them on flash drives for offspring and will probably still do that but one cleverly suggested that a photo sharing site might be what I was really looking for. I do have about a decade's worth or more of digital photos as well....

Any suggestions for useful, easy to use apps that would allow me to have a single sharing site for family photos?

Were you hoping just to share the files, or have a place where the photos can be viewed too?

Not sure about the latter, but if you just want to share the raw files it's easy enough to just compress a few folders on your desktop, upload them to mediafire.com, and then share the download link to the folders with whoever you like.

If you want them to be viewable (and still likely downloadable, but not sure) I'd probably go with Google Photos, but not sure what your family member had in mind.

Were you hoping just to share the files, or have a place where the photos can be viewed too?

Not sure about the latter, but if you just want to share the raw files it's easy enough to just compress a few folders on your desktop, upload them to mediafire.com, and then share the download link to the folders with whoever you like.

If you want them to be viewable (and still likely downloadable, but not sure) I'd probably go with Google Photos, but not sure what your family member had in mind.

I am hoping to make them both viewable and also downloadable/printable (in case we ever revert to the old days and want physical copies of stuff) to cover my bases, and to be usable across a variety of platforms. We're a mixed family: some us apple/mac phones and computers; some use other types of phones and a PC computer. One or two of us switch things up and haven't quite decided where we will (permanently)land.

I saw your lovely photos from your honeymoon. Do you feel it's quite secure. I am a bit...stupidly obsessed with the idea of having privacy and no one being able to hack our photos. There is no reason I can think of for anyone to actually do this. None of us is famous or even well known, no celebrity, etc. I have had friends who were surprised to find someone they knew from the internet showing unexpectedly and uninvited on their doorsteps so there is that....

A good guitarist can make any guitar sound good. A bad guitarist..

The idea that the settings you use on the camera are a major component of the artistry process, and not the external composition of your photos is strange to me. A good camera is a better tool, but the picture comes from the photographer themselves. I've known professional photographers with fantastic equipment who take terrible photos, and with no experience I've taken a large number of classic photos with just point and click on auto.

I mean, yea, a mastery of settings is going to lend itself to better photos, but I think that over-states photography as a technical skill, and under-states it as a humanistic one.

To consistently make good photos, even with a point & shoot camera, you have to know your equipment. The crappy photographers with good equipment probably don't know much about their gear; the good ones with the basic cameras (or phone cameras) probably know the limitations, and will even use them to their advantage. Selection of shutter speed, aperture, etc. (or selection of subject/composition based on the inability to change those settings) is, IMO, an important part of the artistic process.

I don't see the logic in not allowing phone photos, but I'll abide by it.

I am hoping to make them both viewable and also downloadable/printable (in case we ever revert to the old days and want physical copies of stuff) to cover my bases, and to be usable across a variety of platforms. We're a mixed family: some us apple/mac phones and computers; some use other types of phones and a PC computer. One or two of us switch things up and haven't quite decided where we will (permanently)land.

I saw your lovely photos from your honeymoon. Do you feel it's quite secure. I am a bit...stupidly obsessed with the idea of having privacy and no one being able to hack our photos. There is no reason I can think of for anyone to actually do this. None of us is famous or even well known, no celebrity, etc. I have had friends who were surprised to find someone they knew from the internet showing unexpectedly and uninvited on their doorsteps so there is that....

I'd go with Google Photos if it were me (just switched to that platform from Facebook for our honeymoon because frankly I hate Facebook and they degrade the quality of your pictures). I don't know much about what Apple offers, but as long as your family has Google accounts Google Photos should be quite portable and flexible. Nobody will have access to your albums unless you share them with people, in which case those people are able to join the albums which will give them permanent access if they want. As for security you can pretty much take it to the bank with Google.. I'm sure they aren't bulletproof, but they are going to be more bulletproof than any other tech company.

Mediafire is a quick and painless way to share the raw files and should be pretty secure too, but now that I check out my Google photo albums it looks like they're easily downloadable from there too. So if you're going to display the photos you might just want to skip Mediafire and let people use the Google interface.

Let's see if this works...

View attachment 16741

CaisCais, Portugal last summer. Galaxy s8+ HDR on.

Awesome sunset. I used to be a 35mm SLR fan back in the 80s, mostly aviation pictures...and, yes, sunsets and sunrises. Recently I bought a Canon Rebel T6. Due to a work surge, I haven't done much with it, but will begin doing so now.

These are from an iPhone 6s:

IMG_1426.JPG
IMG_2858.JPG

Are you going to buy a scanner, or pay some service that has a scanner?

Are you going to buy a scanner, or pay some service that has a scanner?

I actually already have a scanner. I've just uploaded a few photos to Google and will be inviting family to view the files. Actually, those were photos I had already had on my computer, from digital photography. Figured starting with a handful was easier than going through a whole lot of trouble for something people didn't like.

I do really appreciate everybody's help with this, letting me know what you used and is secure and is easy to use.

Browne's Shaft, Broken Hill. 84 second exposure

This is a 5K image but had to reduce it to 2000 x 1300 to upload it here.

Hope you like

BrowneShaft.jpg

Thank you for the nice comments and the rep-remarks from all. I will add a few more here from time to time.

In line with the OP's rules. My camera is a 35mm SLR and it has only ever taken photos in manual mode. I have to switch it to Bulb to hold the shutter open longer than 30 secs. But I have bought a small radio device that allows me to control it and hold it open from a distance.

(more than 30 secs on a digital, if pointed to the sky can destroy pixels in your camera)

This vid is mostly 5K still images and I just move the zoomed in window to give motion. The sound track is added later. I work at 60 frames per second and just add a single frame negative image to give the effect of lightning.

Cheers ... Greg

Back
Top Bottom