• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

General trailer discussion

Underseer

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheism, resistentialism
I thought we could use a thread for discussing upcoming movies.

Here's yet another remake. Did this one really need to be made? The original is a classic, it stands on its own, and I don't know that more is wanted or needed.

I guess Deckard wasn't a replicant after all.

Anyway to keep with the title of the thread rather than get hung up on one trailer, this is what I'm looking forward to:

Here's yet another remake. Did this one really need to be made? The original is a classic, it stands on its own, and I don't know that more is wanted or needed.

Doesn't look like it's going to be a remake to me.

Doesn't look like it's going to be a remake to me.

Exactly. This is not a remake, it is a sequel set 30 years after the original film.

I guess Deckard wasn't a replicant after all.

Ridley Scott has said the movie won't answer that question either way. I guess the default assumption is that he is not a replicant, as he is still alive, but there is a chance that he is a replicant with no expiration date.

Anyway to keep with the title of the thread rather than get hung up on one trailer, this is what I'm looking forward to:

Looks pretty damn good from that trailer, hopefully it lives up to the promise.

Another sequel, this one is a bit closer to the release date of the original. Looks awesome, but the second movie in any movie series is always suspect:

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx3_lXM3zXo[/YOUTUBE]

James Gunn has also said he would like to do a Rocket and Groot movie, which would be just as awesome as Guardians of the Galaxy, but probably significantly more crazy/weird.

I was not at all in favor of a Blade Runner remake, but I'm fine with an attempt at a sequel. A remake had zero chance of not sucking compared to the original and there's no reason for a remake unless it's better.

A sequel might only be half as good as the original and still be better than 99% of sci-fi.

Hopefully, they won't just for the low-hanging member-berries like Force Awakens did. I enjoyed it in the theatre, but rewatching it on TV recently showed it had very little substance beyond nostalgia, especially after the first 30 minutes.

Blade Runner's awesomeness was in large part its atmosphere and emotional tone, which could be replicated (pun intended). It will be harder to have characters as interesting as Roy and Pris without them being derivative. But I'm open. I didn't watch the trailer and won't. I know I will watch the movie and prefer to know nothing going into it, just like I have avoided reading or watching anything about Rogue One

This made me curious. Why would it be any harder to swim out of a water bubble in zero-g than it is usually? All you gotta do is push water back and you move forward, just like in normal gravity. Right?

Ridley Scott has said the movie won't answer that question either way. I guess the default assumption is that he is not a replicant, as he is still alive, but there is a chance that he is a replicant with no expiration date.
It's not so much about him being alive as it is him looking older. And I bet that he is going to die in the movie while passing the torch... is Harrison Ford only good for reprising old roles just to be killed? Is Indy 5 going to be just about him kicking the bucket?

This made me curious. Why would it be any harder to swim out of a water bubble in zero-g than it is usually? All you gotta do is push water back and you move forward, just like in normal gravity. Right?

Yeah, you could swim in it. A scary thought is that without gravity the surface tension would make the water cling to you anyway. An astronaut almost drowned during a spacewalk when about a liter of water leaked into his helmet. The water clung to his face and covered his eyes, ears, and nose before he could get out. With your hands free, you could probably free yourself but :eek:.

Yeah, you could swim in it. A scary thought is that without gravity the surface tension would make the water cling to you anyway. An astronaut almost drowned during a spacewalk when about a liter of water leaked into his helmet. The water clung to his face and covered his eyes, ears, and nose before he could get out. With your hands free, you could probably free yourself but :eek:.

That's what I was thinking. How do you get your head clear of the water to take a breath in a microgravity environment?

That's what I was thinking. How do you get your head clear of the water to take a breath in a microgravity environment?

You'd have to push out hard enough to break the surface tension. I don't think a human would have trouble doing it.

Of course people have already tried the experiment: :cool:

Looks more like a sequel. Not that that invalidates the rest of what you wrote.

Looks more like a sequel. Not that that invalidates the rest of what you wrote.

This one in particular bugs me because although the movie itself is amazing, as an adaptation is horrible. I understand that drastic changes are sometimes needed when translating a story to a different medium, but when you reverse or nullify the central themes of the source material, you've gone too far.

The author was disturbed by reports of Germans who complained about the noise coming from Nazi death camps. They didn't try to stop what was going on, they complained about the noise. The author was disturbed by the thought that such monsters could live and walk among us, passing for human, and that's what the story about: monsters passing for human.

Ridley Scott decided to make the Replicants the innocent victims. If you understand the central theme of the original novel, then Scott's changes turn the Replicants into sympathetic Nazis, which is weird as fuck. If you are not familiar with the source material, then the Replicants simply represent any oppressed minority and Blade Runner is just one movie among many talking about oppressed minorities.

So doing a sequel to this movie right after America elected a fascist is disturbingly close to reality. The only way this could be worse is if they gave the Replicants Pepe tattoos or something.

So doing a sequel to this movie right after America elected a fascist is disturbingly close to reality. The only way this could be worse is if they gave the Replicants Pepe tattoos or something.

The movie has been in development for years, the script was certainly written before Trump even became a candidate.

The movie has been in development for years, the script was certainly written before Trump even became a candidate.

It's creepy with or without Trump. Trump just makes the whole thing even more creepy.

Back
Top Bottom