• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

General trailer discussion

According to this critic, Iron Fist isn't as bad as the other critics are saying, but he is a lone dissenting voice here.

After seeing that trailer, all I keep thinking about is how many people who were not the Flash did Batman kill?

I'm guessing it's the whole, Imma throw a batarang at ya, and if you're not super-duper-fast, you're super-duper dead.

I'm guessing it's the whole, Imma throw a batarang at ya, and if you're not super-duper-fast, you're super-duper dead.
Exactly. Luckily Barry Allen is near the beginning of the alphabet.

This may be explained in the movie, but that is an odd scene. To me, it's either:

A) "I'll throw this batarang at him. If he's who I suspect he is, he'll easily avoid it." Or

B) "I need to trick him into revealing his powers so that he can't play dumb with me anymore. Then I'll convince him to join my team."

If it's "A" then yeah, Wayne is potentially a mass killer.

But if it's "B" that's a standard superhero trope. It's like pushing Clark Kent off a cliff. He'll either "die" or else reveal that he can fly, whereupon you can say, "A HA! I knew you were Superman!" But if you're wrong, then you just murdered a mild-mannered reporter. ("Oops.") Comics are filled with superheroes having to think fast and explain how their alter egos were seemingly unaffected by deadly scenarios. "Whew! The bullet bounced off my cigarette lighter I was carrying in my shirt pocket! Lucky me!"

Or maybe it's C) The writers needed a cool scene to mirror Quicksilver's "run around the kitchen" in one of the X-men movies, and thought that a flying batarang would look cool. Of course, with Quicksilver, it wasn't Wolverine who shot a bunch of bullets at him but the enemy guards, so the scene makes a bit more sense.

Ah, got it.

Batman was confident that Barry was the Flash.

It's kind of like Sherlock Holmes. When writers try to write characters who are smarter than themselves, this kind of thing is the result. They think that because Batman is smart, he must be absolutely certain and absolutely correct about things like that, when smart people have more appreciation than normal people how easy it is for anyone to be wrong.

Ah, got it.

It's kind of like Sherlock Holmes. When writers try to write characters who are smarter than themselves, this kind of thing is the result. They think that because Batman is smart, he must be absolutely certain and absolutely correct about things like that, when smart people have more appreciation than normal people how easy it is for anyone to be wrong.
Didn't he have video footage of Barry moving super-fast (or rather disappearing and appearing in the video)?
Or was that a deleted scene from Batman vs. Superman?
If he had that footage, some follow-up probably allowed him to confirm what sort of power he was dealing with, so he knew it was not dangerous to Barry.

Ah, got it.

Didn't he have video footage of Barry moving super-fast (or rather disappearing and appearing in the video)?
If he had that footage, some follow-up probably allowed him to confirm what sort of power he was dealing with, so he knew it was not dangerous to Barry.

He could have been mistaken about Barry's identity even with the video. Even face recognition software can sometimes be wrong (and I'm assuming he used that).

He could have been mistaken about Barry's identity even with the video. Even face recognition software can sometimes be wrong (and I'm assuming he used that).
Yes, if that was all. But I would think he'd do a follow-up, use the video to find him, then place cameras around, follow him, etc., until he confirms he has a superpower, and then do some more digging to make sure that his power will allow him to avoid the batarang. Maybe some of that will be shown in the movie before the trailer scene, though it would be okay for me if it didn't.

New Valerian trailer just dropped. Also dropped: My jaw.

It says it's based on a graphic novel that inspired a generation. Which generation might that be? I've never heard of it.

Valerian and Laureline

"Valérian and Laureline (French: Valérian et Laureline), also known as Valérian: Spatio-Temporal Agent (French: Valérian, agent spatio-temporel) or just Valérian, is a French science fiction comics series, created by writer Pierre Christin and artist Jean-Claude Mézières. First published in Pilote magazine in 1967, the final installment was published in 2010. All of the Valérian stories have been collected in graphic novel album format, comprising some twenty-one volumes plus a short story collection and an encyclopaedia. Valérian is one of the top five biggest selling Franco-Belgian comics titles of its publisher, Dargaud.[1]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Val%C3%A9rian_and_Laureline

This looks like fun...

It says it's based on a graphic novel that inspired a generation. Which generation might that be? I've never heard of it.

So if it's not popular in America, it doesn't exist?

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, if that was all. But I would think he'd do a follow-up, use the video to find him, then place cameras around, follow him, etc., until he confirms he has a superpower, and then do some more digging to make sure that his power will allow him to avoid the batarang. Maybe some of that will be shown in the movie before the trailer scene, though it would be okay for me if it didn't.

That I might buy, but it sounds like a post hoc rationalization.

Did I say it didn't exist? Sheesh. I was just wondering what generation it was because I am unfamiliar with it. I thought perhaps it was for a younger crowd than me.

Did I say it didn't exist? Sheesh. I was just wondering what generation it was because I am unfamiliar with it. I thought perhaps it was for a younger crowd than me.
Luc Besson is 58, and he was inspired by it at age of 10 (which he never fails to mention in interviews). George Lucas is 72, and he nicked some scenes from Valerian to one of his dumbass scifi movies in 1977.

"What generation?" is what you asked.

The question itself was somewhat myopic. I presume the myopia was unintentional. You probably didn't realize the assumption inherent in the question you asked.

Back
Top Bottom