• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

General trailer discussion

Disney just released another teaser trailer for the Pixar remake of Rocky IV:

New trailer for Logan

The little girl they found to play X-23 seems like good casting. She's got the right rage and the right 1000 yard stare to pass for a female clone of Logan.

Looks more like a sequel. Not that that invalidates the rest of what you wrote.

This one in particular bugs me because although the movie itself is amazing, as an adaptation is horrible. I understand that drastic changes are sometimes needed when translating a story to a different medium, but when you reverse or nullify the central themes of the source material, you've gone too far.

The author was disturbed by reports of Germans who complained about the noise coming from Nazi death camps. They didn't try to stop what was going on, they complained about the noise. The author was disturbed by the thought that such monsters could live and walk among us, passing for human, and that's what the story about: monsters passing for human.

Ridley Scott decided to make the Replicants the innocent victims. If you understand the central theme of the original novel, then Scott's changes turn the Replicants into sympathetic Nazis, which is weird as fuck. If you are not familiar with the source material, then the Replicants simply represent any oppressed minority and Blade Runner is just one movie among many talking about oppressed minorities.

So doing a sequel to this movie right after America elected a fascist is disturbingly close to reality. The only way this could be worse is if they gave the Replicants Pepe tattoos or something.

It seems like Philip Dick is almost always a victim of poor adaptation. Look at Minority Report, for example. Sigh...

New trailer for Logan

The little girl they found to play X-23 seems like good casting. She's got the right rage and the right 1000 yard stare to pass for a female clone of Logan.

I know trailers are not the movie, but I'm sold. They're pushing all the right fanboy buttons and it certainly looks like a labor of love, and a proper send-off to Hugh Jackman's character. Are those cyborg dudes Reavers?

New trailer for Logan

I know trailers are not the movie, but I'm sold. They're pushing all the right fanboy buttons and it certainly looks like a labor of love, and a proper send-off to Hugh Jackman's character. Are those cyborg dudes Reavers?

Yes, that story is a perfect sendoff for Jackman, and they may actually add something interesting to the X-23 story. Goodness knows the great potential of that setup hasn't lived up to its full potential in the comics (even though it's popular).

Trainspotting 2

Looking forward to this one. So glad all they key cast members are back in it;

The opening scene of Trainspotting is fantastic;

I'll be honest, I'm not very familiar with Danny Rand, but at this point I'm hooked on Marvel-Netflix.

Logan comes out on March 3, while this comes out on March 17:

So I'm pretty hyped about next month.

Not a trailer, but a commercial for Logan:

It sounds like FOX has hardly anything to say about the "main" X-Men movies, and Gambit will be next to get the Deadpool treatment.

If so, good!

Gah, the reviews for Iron Fist are not looking good. :(

Before I watch a movie, I always check out the reviews. I don't know why I still do that because 99% of the time I have the opposite opinion to the reviews. Movies with rave reviews underwhelm me and I regret wasting my time watching. Mediocre/lukewarm reviews I seem to enjoy more. How much faith do you put in the reviews ?

Gah, the reviews for Iron Fist are not looking good. :(

Before I watch a movie, I always check out the reviews. I don't know why I still do that because 99% of the time I have the opposite opinion to the reviews. Movies with rave reviews underwhelm me and I regret wasting my time watching. Mediocre/lukewarm reviews I seem to enjoy more. How much faith do you put in the reviews ?

Individual tastes vary, of course, but usually if there is a strong consensus among critics, my own opinion is usually in the ballpark.

I think the last time I disagree with a strong consensus was World of Warcraft. I thought it was reasonably decent while everyone else seemed to hate it.

I'm sad to hear that Iron Fist is probably going to underwhelm. But, I do expect it to have at least some nice fight choreography, and also we have to keep in mind that the critics have previewed only the first half of the series. Luke Cage took a very different turn around the halfway point, so it could be that Iron Fist just mucked up the beginning and saved all the good parts to the end. The feeling I'm getting from the reviews though is that the problem is with the bland directing and plot not moving anywhere, which are pretty fundamental flaws... so who knows.

In retrospect, I've immensely enjoyed all Netflix Marvel shows so far (Jessica Jones being a close favourite), and I hope that even if Iron Fist doesn't rise up to that gold standard, it's at least a decent effort compared to "average" tv crud.

Eh, maybe he will function better as "fish out of water" comic relief in Heroes for Hire.

Disney also dropped the new Ducktales trailer a while back. The remake cartoon has been in the making for three years now, and they cast David Tennant as Scrooge. Fun childhood nostalgia I expect.

I'm sad to hear that Iron Fist is probably going to underwhelm. But, I do expect it to have at least some nice fight choreography, and also we have to keep in mind that the critics have previewed only the first half of the series. Luke Cage took a very different turn around the halfway point, so it could be that Iron Fist just mucked up the beginning and saved all the good parts to the end. The feeling I'm getting from the reviews though is that the problem is with the bland directing and plot not moving anywhere, which are pretty fundamental flaws... so who knows.

In retrospect, I've immensely enjoyed all Netflix Marvel shows so far (Jessica Jones being a close favourite), and I hope that even if Iron Fist doesn't rise up to that gold standard, it's at least a decent effort compared to "average" tv crud.

I felt that they all started a bit slow and picked up later. I almost stopped watching Jessica Jones after just the first couple of episodes.

Back
Top Bottom