• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Ginsburg has passed!!

She didn't 'pass away', she died. WASPs and their euphemisms.
I'm sorry, but that just sad. If you have any sense, you will at least try to do something about that. just sayin'. It's your life, not mine.

Seriously man. How many lives do you get? Is this the one you want for yourself? Is this what you hoped you'd be like when you were little?

I'm pretty sure you know what I'm saying here.

No, I don't know what you're saying.

RBG died. She didn't 'pass away', as if she had popped off to another room. She didn't 'transition'. She is dead, and her family will never see her again and that's extremely sad, but it's not made better by pretending things are different to what they are. Grief claws you from the inside out when someone near you dies, and nobody ever made the grief go away by pretending they're alive somewhere in heaven with the angels.

She didn't 'pass away', she died. WASPs and their euphemisms.
I'm sorry, but that just sad. If you have any sense, you will at least try to do something about that. just sayin'. It's your life, not mine.

Seriously man. How many lives do you get? Is this the one you want for yourself? Is this what you hoped you'd be like when you were little?

I'm pretty sure you know what I'm saying here.

RBG died. She didn't 'pass away', as if she had popped off to another room. She didn't 'transition'. She is dead, and her family will never see her again and that's extremely sad, but it's not made better by pretending things are different to what they are. Grief claws you from the inside out when someone near you dies, and nobody ever made the grief go away by pretending they're alive somewhere in heaven with the angels.

You're the sort who talks about all the worms that will soon be devouring the corpse of the departed at a funeral aren't you?

Diplomacy, and tact are skills that are useful for non-assholes. Using euphemisms isn't just for making jokes about sexual anatomy. Language is far more flexible than you insist it is and there is a useful reason for that flexibility.

These are all lessons that you could learn but don't show any sign of understanding.

Because you refuse to show even the slightest sign of understanding or compassion by acknowledging that some people prefer to refer to human death as, "passing away."

I understand voting third party. I've done it myself. But honestly? I'm ashamed that I did so. Each time, the worst candidate won. In 2016, the worst candidate won. Sometimes the only choices we have are between bad and worse. In 2016, every vote not for Clinton was a vote for worse. In 2020, every vote not for Biden is a vote for worse.

For the last several weeks I have worked as a volunteer for the Michigan Democrat party, making calls out to voters. One extremely bitter and angry woman was a Bernie supporter and was furious at the Democrat party for not nominating him in 2020. Out of spite and retaliation, she even shouted to me that she was going to vote for Trump in this year's election. Yeah, irrational x 1,000. She was so emotionally and psychologically lost though. Nothing I could say was going to help her, or us.

At least she's not voting third party. </sarcasm>

She is doing worse, but that does not change the obvious fact that in a close election where people in swing states are like likely to have a particularly relevant influence on the outcome, she *should* be voting for the lesser of 2 evils. Otherwise you are more likely to get the greater of 2 evils. She lets her personal grievances get in the way of good judgment.

passed away; passing away; passes away

Definition of pass away

intransitive verb

1: to go out of existence

2: DIE sense 1
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pass away

"Passing away" [possibly] into nothing is not the same as "moving on." Everyone knows this. The meaning of passing away is different in modern usage than in the 1400's. Everyone know this, too.

I recommend just putting him on ignore.

Johanna Barr on Twitter: ".@AOC hailed RBG in an interview with @RebeccaRuiz and said the fact that the death of a single, important individual could set off the political furor that it had raised “serious questions about the state of democracy in the United States.” https://t.co/Ar0IWPnCkS" / Twitter
noting
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez reflects on Ginsburg’s legacy and says Biden should hold off on a list of judges. - The New York Times
“Growing up as a woman in America, you’re always on the lookout for anyone who’s made it, regardless of shared philosophy,” Ms. Ocasio-Cortez said. “That’s how rare achieving such heights as she did is for a woman in our country, especially at the time that she achieved it.”

She continued: “It’s not just the fact that she’s a woman who served on our highest court, or the first Jewish woman to serve on our highest court. But it’s how she served. It’s the dissents that she wrote. Even it’s the style in which she did that. Wearing these big, bold collars is not just a sartorial decision. It is a visual communication to women across the country to say: take up space. And when you are in this space, you don’t have to occupy this space in the way that every man before you did. You can be the first, and you can be brazen, as you are the first.”

Ms. Ocasio-Cortez said the fact that the death of a single, important individual could set off the political furor that it had raised “serious questions about the state of democracy in the United States.”

“We have nine unelected Supreme Court justices, and they have lifetime terms, and the majority leader, any given majority leader in the Senate, can manipulate rules and leverage their position of power to deny even a president the ability to appoint a justice,” she said. “I think one of the things that it prompts a lot of people to do is actually question how democratic many of our institutions are.”
I agree. Not just the Electoral College, not just the Senate. At the very least, we ought to have something less than a lifetime term. That may have seemed OK when medicine wasn't nearly as good as it is today, but those days are long past.
“We are in a very, very scary place, and that is why her passing was just so earth-shattering, not just to millions of people but to herself,” Ms. Ocasio-Cortez added, referencing the fact that days before her death, Justice Ginsburg dictated a statement to her granddaughter saying that her “most fervent wish” was that she wouldn’t be replaced “until a new president is installed.”

“My mind keeps going back to how her final moments were preoccupied with that, not taking stock,” Ms. Ocasio-Cortez said. “That took away, fundamentally, from her ability to more fully enjoy her life, her accomplishments, her family and her friends — because our democracy is so imperiled.”
Seems like RBG badly miscalculated by not resigning during Obama's Presidency, but I think that she didn't want to seem partisan, and nobody had any idea how horrible Trump's Presidency would turn out to be.

AOC on Trump's list of nominees: “On his list are individuals like Tom Cotton and Ted Cruz — Tom Cotton famously supporting bringing in the military to potentially endanger the lives of people exercising their first amendment rights. This is incredibly scary, that that kind of perspective could replace a vacancy left by Ruth Bader Ginsburg.”

She thinks that it's about getting votes from Trump's base. Something in character about how he has handled the COVID-19 pandemic - he only cares about how it will affect his re-election chances.

She doesn't think that Biden should do that, something that Trump wants.
“I think that Democratic voters, right now, it’s less about motivating people around a specific individual to be named to that court,” she said. “I think we are highly motivated about just making sure that vacancy is protected and preserved for the next president. I don’t think releasing a list of names really adds to that, and in fact, I think it could risk demoralizing and dividing our party.

“Right now, the costs outweigh the benefits,” she added. “But as events develop, the calculus could change.”

‘RBG’ Directors On How Ruth Bader Ginsburg Said She Wanted To Be Remembered – Deadline
Betsy West and Julie Cohen, who directed RBG, the feature-length documentary about Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, reacted Friday to Ginsburg’s death Friday at age 87.

“Like so many Americans, we are crushed by the death of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg,” West and Cohen said in a joint statement. “Even had she not become a Supreme Court Justice, Ginsburg earned a place in history for what she did to win equality for American women. When we asked her several years ago how she wanted to be remembered, she said with characteristic modesty, ‘Just as someone who did whatever she could, with whatever limited talent she had, to move society along in the direction I would like it to be for my children and grandchildren.’ ”

You're the sort who talks about all the worms that will soon be devouring the corpse of the departed at a funeral aren't you?

Diplomacy, and tact are skills that are useful for non-assholes. Using euphemisms isn't just for making jokes about sexual anatomy. Language is far more flexible than you insist it is and there is a useful reason for that flexibility.

These are all lessons that you could learn but don't show any sign of understanding.
All this explanation is particularly ironic given its screen name. Jus' sayin'. ;)

AOC on Trump's list of nominees: “On his list are individuals like Tom Cotton and Ted Cruz — Tom Cotton famously supporting bringing in the military to potentially endanger the lives of people exercising their first amendment rights.
Rioting, looting and arson is not "people exercising their first amendment rights".

Also, this shit is absolutely not helpful now:
View attachment 29431
View attachment 29432

After RBG’s Death, Left-Wing Activists Promise Violence If Trump Appoints Her Replacement

Lefties: Trump is bad for harming democratic norms.

Also Lefties: We will be violent and destroy if we don’t get what we want!

If someone is drowning and you don't make any effort to help, you are to blame for their death. It's irrelevant whether you pushed them in, or merely stood by and watched rather than getting involved. And it's irrelevant that you did something that didn't help, just so you could claim that you didn't do nothing.
There are starving children on the other side of the planet. What are you doing for them?

If someone is drowning and you don't make any effort to help, you are to blame for their death. It's irrelevant whether you pushed them in, or merely stood by and watched rather than getting involved. And it's irrelevant that you did something that didn't help, just so you could claim that you didn't do nothing.
There are starving children on the other side of the planet. What are you doing for them?
I'm pretty certain bilby meant if you were near a person that was drowning. He didn't explicitly state this, but that was probably because he figured people were familiar enough with both the hypothetical and the English language that he didn't need to long hand the hypothetical.

And Trump, concerned with nothing but getting re-elected may just go this route figuring it would be in his best interest to fill the vacancy with a woman.

And yet the right always accuses the left of identity politics. Shouldn’t Trump pick the best qualified candidate irrespective of gender?

I'm pretty certain bilby meant if you were near a person that was drowning. He didn't explicitly state this, but that was probably because he figured people were familiar enough with both the hypothetical and the English language that he didn't need to long hand the hypothetical.

But Emily's point stands (or what I believe is her point): there are preventable deaths everywhere in the world that could be prevented as surely as a drowning can be prevented, except that the mechanism of action would be to donate money instead of using your limbs to swim out to them or calling someone who can help.

I like that so many people tend to think there is usually some unique BEST qualified candidate for these types of positions. Positions that require a multitude of talents and abilities allow for many different best qualified candidates because people tend to have different mixes of abilities and different strengths.

Back
Top Bottom