• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

God's too great to communicate clearly with humans

Also, this is very funny:
the OP said:

So it is easier for those with animal like fear of a greater being not to be aware of them. It's not like someone who has negative emotional reactions to the idea of God would feel comfortable if God actually revealed God's existence to them. It may be more humane to allow you to continue to disbelieve, live your natural life, and pass away.

The fact that you've changed your position from talking about God, to talking about OT God, to talking about theists who believe in OT God, then to attacks on my thoughtful statements indicates to me that you lack the mental stability to begin a relationship with God.

It would be easier if you stated the topic in the title of the thread, instead of a different topic. In fact, the question in the OP sure looks like a question about God, not some strawman of God (like OT "God") or a group of people who have inaccurate beliefs about God.

So yeah, the topic is about a god, any god, sparked by the comments of believers in a certain god, but can be extended to other gods as soon as they are described, and, LOOK! it applies to your god, too.

the OP said:

:slowclap:

Here's an answer you'll probably get: "God did communicate to us clearly! He said He is God!"

Either way, you cannot expect a reasonable person to treat your claims as credible. ETA: Not without something a little better than your say-so.
No shit Sherlock. It's almost like you would need God to teach you, instead of a human.

Don't take my word for it though... just don't make stupid assumptions about the nature of God because someone with various psychological issues quotes a book at you in such a way that it shows their developmental issues (not Gods).

Unfortunately, one of the limitations of God is that God cannot magic away stupid, yet.

Don't take my word for it though... just don't make stupid assumptions about the nature of God

Why is it a stupid assumption to talk to someone about god who doesn't agree with Kharakov? Who died and left you god?

Seriously, you have not yet had anything useful to say about _WHY_ your opinion of god is superior to anyone else's, other than you think their opinions are psychologically unsound?

Why won't you answer this question? Too hard?
The question is what, exactly, makes your interpretation of god correct and not subject to what you claim everyone else's opinion is subject to?

Don't take my word for it though... just don't make stupid assumptions about the nature of God because someone with various psychological issues quotes a book at you in such a way that it shows their developmental issues (not Gods).
Why is it a stupid assumption to talk to someone about god who doesn't agree with Kharakov?
Where did you come up with that question? Do you not understand the statement I made?

Or do you think it's a wise decision to give equal consideration to what fundamentalists with various psychological issues say about God (if you are not their psychotherapist)?

- - - Updated - - -

You're a parent. If you could grant your children all of your knowledge and wisdom, would you?

I would. Makes things much easier for them.
Yup.

On the contrary - there are many gods, all of them invented by humans.
Like phlogiston. Obviously the existence of an incorrect idea about a physical aspect of reality indicates that all ideas about physical aspects of reality are incorrect.

Ohh, wait a second, the same group that said they were the ultimate authority figures on God also said they were the ultimate authority figures on cosmology and science! Ohh, wait a second, does this mean they might have been incorrect on various assumptions they made about God as well as the incorrect assumptions they made about cosmology and science? No, couldn't be.

Let me put on my thinking cap... hrmm, obviously since they were wrong about certain ideas they are logically correct about everything else they say. It's not their method of thought that led to these conclusions, it's just science sciencing their science holes, which makes them wrong about science, but absolutely right about everything they say about God.

Now, let's think about this for just a little bit. The same people who deny scientific aspects of reality also say things about God. They say these things because the "science" comes from their interpretation of a book. Now. I'm going to go way the fuck out on a limb here and guess that.. well, maybe, just maybe, the book that contains a bit of inaccurate cosmological and mathematical claims might just have a few pieces of misinformation about God as well.

In fact, I'm going to go to an older book, the Bhagavad Gita, and paraphrase something contained within: one does not know God through scriptures (holy books), one gets to know God by knowing God.

You have presented nothing to make an intelligent person understand how you came to believe that only you know the definition of a god(dess)(es).
Where did you get the idea that I believe that I am the only one who knows the definition of God(dess)(es). Ssss.s..ss..
Is your god doing the best it can to communicate its existence?
No. God is doing God's best to create happy individuals who care about one another and have a little bit of self reliance so that God doesn't have to micromanage every detail of their lives for all eternity. How many people are atheists because there are problems in the world, and they want God to fix them? To paraphrase Kennedy, ask not what your God can do for you, but what you can do for your God.

What is a deity to you?
A deity? I suppose God can take many forms. I mean, have you ever seen Kevin Spacey do imitations? Think about how much more God can do.

I'm not frightened by powerful things. I think black holes are fascinating, lovely, curious and interesting, for example.
Yeah, but I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want to enter one's event horizon. While you talk brave, I'm relatively certain that you wouldn't be talking the way you do unless you already knew God, you don't know what the hell you're talking about, or you're full of it.

Seriously, are you scared of things that you don't think are there?
Truthfully, yes. Sometimes I am scared of my lack of fear, because I think "what if my lack of fear causes something bad to happen to me or someone I care about?"
There are lots of other humans. Many of them talk about having a personal relationship with a god. And, LOL, you think only yours is true.
Nope. I never said that.

Which of your comments is thoughtful? You seem to avoid answering direct questions and stray into topics that you refuse to fully describe and then admonish for people not agreeing when they ask what you mean.
When someone says stuff about you instead of addressing your comments, and repeatedly misunderstands your statements, you don't feel like responding to every single one of their little questions when you know they probably won't understand the answer anyway.

I'm used to people asking a bunch of questions, and not understanding the answers because of whatever emotional problems they have with the answers. When someone behaves in a certain way, I steer things towards certain topics rather than indulge their every whim, because they are not going to fully comprehend the answers to the questions they ask. Why won't they fully comprehend? They are not patient enough to read a full statement.

The following is a perfect example:
The fact that you've changed your position from talking about God, to talking about OT God, to talking about theists who believe in OT God, then to attacks on my thoughtful statements indicates to me that you lack the mental stability to begin a relationship with God. Of course, I could be pulling your leg.
Why would you even say this?
"I'm having a conversation with you, but, haha, maybe I'm just makign fun of you instead. Oh and by the way, you're a jerk if you don't take me seriously"
What up with that?
You only looked at the non bolded part of the paragraph. You didn't read the paragraph as a whole, and instead separated off the last statement which applied specifically to part of the first statement of the paragraph (and it could only have applied to one part of the first statement in the paragraph, and you should be able to pick up on which part it applies to).

If you flip out because you look at the last sentence in a paragraph, and disregard what it applies to, you are showing that you don't pay very much attention to what has been said. This shows that answering every one of your questions is going to result in lots of other misunderstandings.

Now, I don't truly believe you are too mentally unstable to begin a relationship with God. I was pulling your leg about that, specifically, as everything else in the statement is true.

Last edited:

I'm used to people asking a bunch of questions, and not understanding the answers because of whatever emotional problems they have.

Why do you assume the part I have bolded?

If people ask you questions, and then don't understand your answers, there are many possible reasons that have zero to do with the emotional problems of your audience.

If someone asks me a question, and then fails to understand my answer, I assume that it is because I have failed to make myself clear; And my first response is to try to re-phrase my answer in a clearer way. Have you ever considered trying to be less obscure in your responses?

When lots of different people are all failing to understand you, then most likely it is because you are being unintelligible, not because they all have emotional problems.

one of the limitations of God is that God cannot magic away stupid,
Why not and how do you know?
You're a parent. If you could grant your children all of your knowledge and wisdom, would you?

Just can't answer a direct question, can you? You first. Answer my question. Why not and how do you know?
The implications of the question I asked make the answer obvious. If you could make your children intelligent and wise with a magic word, you would. I know because it hasn't happened.

Do you demand people answer things that they have already answered all the time?

one of the limitations of God is that God cannot magic away stupid,
Why not and how do you know?

Just can't answer a direct question, can you? You first. Answer my question. Why not and how do you know?
The implications of the question I asked make the answer obvious. If you could make your children intelligent and wise with a magic word, you would. I know because it hasn't happened.

Do you demand people answer things that they have already answered all the time?

It's the premise behind your answers which remains unanswered. You've posited a completely pointless God. Why bother to believe in the God you're decribing and why think that there's aything factual about any claims made about it?

You find meaning in your beliefs and that's fine end everybody is happy that your internal concepts give you higher serotonin levels. It's the relation of your internal concepts to external reality where your premise falls apart.

I'm used to people asking a bunch of questions, and not understanding the answers because of whatever emotional problems they have with the answers. (italicized portion is a correction.. the statement didn't convey what I wanted it to)
For one thing, if someone was overly emotional, they might assume that this applies to every misunderstanding of my statements, instead of the one's that are based on someone's emotional problems with the statements I make.

If people ask you questions, and then don't understand your answers, there are many possible reasons that have zero to do with the emotional problems of your audience.
Sure. Of course, when someone gets in a huff about something, and assumes that I mean every single problem that someone has with my statements is based solely upon emotional over reactions, am I supposed to think they aren't being overly emotional?

How does it look?
When lots of different people are all failing to understand you, then most likely it is because you are being unintelligible, not because they all have emotional problems.
People understand what I say bilby. Sometimes their emotions get away from them, like in your response- you didn't think it through. What I said has no implications about every misunderstanding of something that I say: at times, I say something incorrectly, at times, people read some equivocation into a statement that I have not made clear enough, at times someone flips the fuck out because they lack the emotional wherewithal to take a deep breath and analyze the fucking statement, paying attention to the context in the statements around the statement they are being way too fucking emotional about.

:cheeky:

Like phlogiston. Obviously the existence of an incorrect idea about a physical aspect of reality indicates that all ideas about physical aspects of reality are incorrect.

Ohh, wait a second, the same group that said they were the ultimate authority figures on God also said they were the ultimate authority figures on cosmology and science! Ohh, wait a second, does this mean they might have been incorrect on various assumptions they made about God as well as the incorrect assumptions they made about cosmology and science? No, couldn't be.

Let me put on my thinking cap... hrmm, obviously since they were wrong about certain ideas they are logically correct about everything else they say. It's not their method of thought that led to these conclusions, it's just science sciencing their science holes, which makes them wrong about science, but absolutely right about everything they say about God.

Now, let's think about this for just a little bit. The same people who deny scientific aspects of reality also say things about God. They say these things because the "science" comes from their interpretation of a book. Now. I'm going to go way the fuck out on a limb here and guess that.. well, maybe, just maybe, the book that contains a bit of inaccurate cosmological and mathematical claims might just have a few pieces of misinformation about God as well.

In fact, I'm going to go to an older book, the Bhagavad Gita, and paraphrase something contained within: one does not know God through scriptures (holy books), one gets to know God by knowing God.

Science isn't concerned with authorities; when people who claim to be doing science instead defer to authority, the conclusions they reach are often wrong, and are never scientific. (Of course, the same is true of people who don't claim to be doing science).

The phlogiston model is inaccurate, but workable; phlogiston is the absence of oxygen. Obviously it is cumbersome and pointless to use the absence of a thing in an equation, rather than the thing itself; and accurate determination of the masses present before and after something burns - taking account of the mass of gasses present as well as that of solids and liquids - show that what was postulated as a material (phlogiston) is in fact the absence of another material (oxygen).

The phlogiston hypothesis is wrong, but not very wrong; it describes many combustion events fairly well, but doesn't describe others very well at all, and doesn't lead to many useful insights in non-combustion chemistry; while the oxygen hypothesis describes almost all combustion events very well, and does lead to other useful insights in chemistry.

Your error here is in assuming that science - specifically in this case, chemistry - relies on authoritative statements written in books, that people are expected to accept without question. Chemistry does not work like this (ETA - although sadly it is often taught like this in schools); instead, it consists of statements written in books which are considered authoritative if and only if they have been, and continue to be, subjected to intense criticism, and widespread testing; and if (and only if) the statements survive this criticism, and cannot be shown by testing to be incorrect or inadequate, do they remain - which is why the oxygen hypothesis remains, and phlogiston does not.

Science is not really about what is known to be true; it is about what is known to be false. Phlogiston doesn't make the cut; so far, oxygen does - but if it is shown to be wrong, the oxygen hypothesis will be dropped just as the phlogiston hypothesis was. The history of science is full of stuff that is now known to be false; Doubtless some of the stuff currently believed to be 'probably true' will go the same way. Nothing in science is certain - although in many cases, testing has shown that the uncertainty is so small as to be negligible. So much has now been demonstrated to be false, that most of what remains is very likely to be true. All of what remains is more likely to be true than any of what has been disproved.

There is nothing authoritative about the rejection of God by science; like phlogiston, God is simply not up to the job of providing a better explanation for any observation than can be provided by other, more useful, hypotheses. God is not needed to explain anything; everything with a known explanation - and that is now most things - has an explanation that does not involve and gods. Anything with no known explanation is unknown - you could say 'it might be God'; but you could, with the exact same level of certainty and justification say 'it might be phlogiston'. If 'God' simply means 'unknown', then God is not worthy of worship, nor of love; and the idea of doing the will of the unknown is meaningless.

Scientists do not authoritatively assert the existence of things, but they do authoritatively assert their non-existence. Both God and phlogiston fall into this category. Of course, phlogiston might still be real, if the definition of the word 'phlogiston' is changed such that it has nothing to do with combustion; but to assert that phlogiston is real because you have changed your definitions is just weasely underhanded nonsense.

Trying to maintain that the phlogiston hypothesis has not, in fact, been falsified, requires first that you either agree that the definition of 'phlogiston' that is in common use is the one that you will also use; Or that you first provide a complete and clear statement of the properties that you claim phlogiston to have.

Trying to maintain that the God hypothesis has not, in fact, been falsified, requires first that you either agree that the definition of 'God' that is in common use is the one that you will also use; Or that you first provide a complete and clear statement of the properties that you claim God to have.

If you talk about phlogiston, but are not using the word in the common way, and have not provided any clear definition of your own, then people are never going to comprehend you.

If you talk about God, but are not using the word in the common way, and have not provided any clear definition of your own, then people are never going to comprehend you.

If you care about being understood, you need to provide a clear and complete statement of the important characteristics of God, as you define the word. If your definition of God is not (as the common use has it) omnipotent - able to do anything - then you need to define what you consider the limits to Gods power are; If God is not the creator of all things, you need to define what, if anything, he created. If God is not all knowing, you need to tell us what the limits of Gods knowledge are. If you don't do this, then you are not communicating at all.

If I say 'There is a car in the kitchen', then you cannot be blamed for failing to understand that it is the sort of car that has legs instead of wheels, and is a few inches long, and squeaks rather than going 'Vroom, vroom!', and eats cheese rather than using petrol. In fact, when I say 'car', I have something very definite in mind - but if that word brings to your mind something very definite, but very different from what I am talking about, it is me who has failed to communicate. If you say 'What kind of seats does the car have?', and I reply 'Seats? LOL! If you knew anything about cars, you would know they don't have seats!', then we will get nowhere.

I can, of course, eliminate the confusion, by saying, "By 'car', I mean what you might call a 'mouse'". If I fail to do so, then it isn't your fault that you don't have a clue what I am on about.

In other words; Define exactly what YOU mean when you say 'God', or just stop posting about God, because nobody else can possibly understand what you are saying in the absence of a definition.

For one thing, if someone was overly emotional, they might assume that this applies to every misunderstanding of my statements, instead of the one's that are based on someone's emotional problems with the statements I make.

Sure. Of course, when someone gets in a huff about something, and assumes that I mean every single problem that someone has with my statements is based solely upon emotional over reactions, am I supposed to think they aren't being overly emotional?

How does it look?
People understand what I say bilby. Sometimes their emotions get away from them, like in your response- you didn't think it through. What I said has no implications about every misunderstanding of something that I say: at times, I say something incorrectly, at times, people read some equivocation into a statement that I have not made clear enough, at times someone flips the fuck out because they lack the emotional wherewithal to take a deep breath and analyze the fucking statement, paying attention to the context in the statements around the statement they are being way too fucking emotional about.

:cheeky:

If you really think that people understand what you say, then I suggest you look at their responses to your various posts on this board; It seems that people very rarely understand what you say, as evidenced by their frequent (and usually fruitless) appeals for clarification.

Either way, you cannot expect a reasonable person to treat your claims as credible. ETA: Not without something a little better than your say-so.
No shit Sherlock. It's almost like you would need God to teach you, instead of a human.
It's also as if the deity is something that people believe in because they want it to be real, rather than arriving at that conclusion via critical reasoning. The theory that your god is imaginary explains why it only reveals itself to people who want to believe.

The belief that a god has spoken to oneself, but will not speak to others, is a grandiose delusion, a psychological problem. It doesn't matter if there's a book involved or not; I would not consider such a person an authoritative source.

Unfortunately, one of the limitations of God is that God cannot magic away stupid, yet.
Another bald assertion. Where is your evidence for these claims about the characteristics of your deity? So far you have just made various statements about the human condition, which says nothing about the existence of any god.

What about humans being too stupid to communicate with God? Like... ya know you can fool yourself indirectly or let someone or something else do it directly, which is much easier. Just hang on and try not to break too much shit because the cheese is at the end of the maze or it has fallen off the cracker along the way. What is the difference when words don't exist to communicate with each other properly yet? Apparently there is a word shortage so shamfuckled I'll add. Be sure to use it when you think you're better than your creator, or that you're not existing because something wants you to. Narcifictionationated... add that one too. Aw still no closer. Words don't work, try praying silently and honestly? I don't know. That is the point I believe. Whatever, have fun with words and be as children. Our intentionally limited ability to explore and assume with goo goo gah gah shit means nothing to something complex enough to maintain and allow our illusions. We're free to do what we want so shut up and pray I say. People think electricity and things like their own reflection actually exist. Laughing my ass off. If you find it hard to talk with a God, take some drugs. Try abandoning everything you've ever assumed to be real in physical life with your eyes closed on a filthy couch while on a massive amount of hallucinogens. A weak shortcut and highly stigmatized but what isn't? You'll see that sailboat Jimmy.
Hope that helped!

Kharakov said:
Orchestrated events in my life, communications, etc..
Uh huh.
So... The world, and _everyone else's_ everyday life events are being organized and "orchestrated" so as to make YOU uniquely able 'hear', and of all persons, alone, uniquely able to correctly interpret these unique personal "communications" coming to you from your undescribed, unknown and strange personal deity, ...that all other persons, us being merely bit players in this _in your head_, quasi-religious fantasy trip are unable to perceive.

Classic.
(snip)

Last edited by a moderator:
What about humans being too stupid to communicate with God? Like... ya know you can fool yourself indirectly or let someone or something else do it directly, which is much easier. Just hang on and try not to break too much shit because the cheese is at the end of the maze or it has fallen off the cracker along the way. What is the difference when words don't exist to communicate with each other properly yet? Apparently there is a word shortage so shamfuckled I'll add. Be sure to use it when you think you're better than your creator, or that you're not existing because something wants you to. Narcifictionationated... add that one too. Aw still no closer. Words don't work, try praying silently and honestly? I don't know. That is the point I believe. Whatever, have fun with words and be as children. Our intentionally limited ability to explore and assume with goo goo gah gah shit means nothing to something complex enough to maintain and allow our illusions. We're free to do what we want so shut up and pray I say. People think electricity and things like their own reflection actually exist. Laughing my ass off. If you find it hard to talk with a God, take some drugs. Try abandoning everything you've ever assumed to be real in physical life with your eyes closed on a filthy couch while on a massive amount of hallucinogens. A weak shortcut and highly stigmatized but what isn't? You'll see that sailboat Jimmy.
Hope that helped!
Or more likely pretending that gods are real is the only way a person can cope with a perceived uncaring universe. After all, clinging to an abusive guardian is a proven survival strategy. Lots of people do it. Better to be alive now than dead now. If this imaginary, fantastic, invisible, magical creature can't communicate clearly, or can't pick up a piece of paper, what good is it? I may as well pretend that my dog is a god and is taking care of me. It's better than god at communicating anyway. Barks like hell when it has to go out and crap.

I think god is the ultimate expression of non-intellect.

Back
Top Bottom