• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Great Republican Ideas

Okay, another bump.
Not one Republican or "conservative" has come forward to articulate a single policy, idea or vision being advanced by the current Republican cabal.
Not even the bad or terrible ideas that are held to be great ideas by Republican leadership (e.g. voter suppression, lower taxes on the rich etc.).
None of them has come forth here (or anywhere else on this site AFAIK) to condemn The Big Lie or those who promulgate it.

It really does appear that our resident "conservatives" are the equals of the intellectually, ethically and morally bankrupt leaders of the right wing extremist movement that is afoot in the United States.

I largely agree with your post. But, as a centrist, I'll admit that traditional Republican values are not quite wrong. Reliance on family rather than government, letting the market determine wages, reduced government red tape, personal freedoms — these are all good ideas that have strong merit, if not taken to an extreme.

Yes, "conservatives" DO take these ideas much too far. I understand that. But the core of their belief system is not wholly rotten. It would be good to have a wholesome conservative party in this country to help temper left-wing excesses.

And many in the GOP performed that role as recently as 15 years ago. I think Mitt Romney was a sincere man who might have made a very good President.

But by now the GOP has transmogrified into something utterly hideous. Racist prejudice against Obama played a role, but even bigger was the assault on facts and rational thought by Russian hackers, greedy billionaires, and the insidious power of social media.

It is regrettable that our resident "conservatives" haven't posted in this thread, but did anyone expect them to? The posts I see from them resemble nasty sarcasm and petty jabs against liberals; in other words they act just like the majority of today's Republicans. I don't recall TFT "conservatives" ever commenting on Trump and his lies, nor on any conservative vision.

It is regrettable that our resident "conservatives" haven't posted in this thread, but did anyone expect them to? The posts I see from them resemble nasty sarcasm and petty jabs against liberals; in other words they act just like the majority of today's Republicans. I don't recall TFT "conservatives" ever commenting on Trump and his lies, nor on any conservative vision.
That's the thing, we have conservatives here, who are principled conservatives, but at the moment look like flaming liberals. The Republican Party hasn't provided positive governance since No Child Left Behind.

many in the GOP performed that role as recently as 15 years ago

While I agree with that, it's really irrelevant to this thread.

A thread-adjacent topic for another thread:

"What do you like best about America?"
All my stuff is here.

Something like that... I speak the language pretty well, am familiar with many of its regional cultural foibles and am a member of the white male privileged group. So I am comfortable living, traveling and vacationing in most parts of it. Even in many of its ghetto areas.
Plus, the land is was beautiful.

Generally speaking - eliminating fraud, waste, and abuse within the government and reducing excessive spending as well as the tax burden on individuals is an enormously positive conservative idea (whenever feasible). The problem is that republicans throw that parade at any and every problem facing society.

Conservative ideas have promise and can work in certain circumstances. It's the conservative logic and execution that's at issue.

aa

Generally speaking - eliminating fraud,
I dunno if it's kosher to attribute 'eliminate fraud' as a conservative idea while conservatives are begging Florida Man to run for office again.

And moving to make sure no one badmouths America by accusing the government of crimes like fraud.

Conservative ideas have promise and can work in certain circumstances. It's the conservative logic and execution that's at issue.

I'd take your point a step further.

I think that the TeaParty GOP has mostly abandoned conservative principles. From "This Nation of Immigrants", to personal integrity, to fiscal sanity, the GOP has almost completely lost any real conservative values.
Tom

I dunno if it's kosher to attribute 'eliminate fraud' as a conservative idea while conservatives are begging Florida Man to run for office again.

And moving to make sure no one badmouths America by accusing the government of crimes like fraud.

Yes, it's broader than 'every problem looks like a nail'. It's 'lets just hit everything with this hammer in case there's a nail.'

aa

Generally speaking - eliminating fraud, waste, and abuse within the government and reducing excessive spending as well as the tax burden on individuals is an enormously positive conservative idea (whenever feasible). The problem is that republicans throw that parade at any and every problem facing society.

aa
Sarcasm?

If not, how are those "conservative" and not liberal values? If you are simply saying that they are, then continue to enjoy your koolaid.

Another annoyance about the modern Republican Party is its approach to taxation.

The Ds want a progressive tax, where the rich pay more; while the Rs want to transfer tax burden from the rich and corporations to the poor, thinking this rewards success. Fine. We understand that.

But the R's, whenever in power, give additional tax cuts to the rich. When the D's are in control, public ignorance is led on to make restoration of even the previous rates untenable. When next the Rs come to power, yet another round of tax cuts for the rich ensues. Like a ratchet, this tax inequity gets worse and worse. By now, income inequality is one of America's most serious problems.

A thread-adjacent topic for another thread:

"What do you like best about America?"
All my stuff is here.

That's pretty much me.

People ask me why I, a gay non-theist, would stay here in southern Indiana. "Why don't you move to California?".

Because I'm planted here. For better or worse, this is my home. Family. Connections. I'm going to stay here, and deal with the human situation, even though there are so many aspects of the Human Family I find obnoxious.

The Trumpistas won't get rid of me either.
Tom

Xactly. We are talking about the current Republican Party, and there is no indication that the next Republican President won’t treat the treasury as his personal piggy bank and wipe his ass with the Constitution just like their last loser.

aa

A very good idea--that has very little to do with what modern "Republicans" do.

Some say they wouldn’t wish cancer on their enemies. I disagree.

Haven't reviewed the thread in any depth -

But has someone mentioned that Lincoln was the first Republican president? Emancipation Proclamation would seem like a progressive idea.

But has someone mentioned that Lincoln was the first Republican president? Emancipation Proclamation would seem like a progressive idea.
He only offered freedom for slaves in the rebelling states. It did not free slaves in Missouri, Delaware, Maryland, Kentucky.
So not progressive as much as tactical. Slaves ran away to get to Union lines.

And Today's Republican Party claims the Confederacy as the important heritage.

He only offered freedom for slaves in the rebelling states. It did not free slaves in Missouri, Delaware, Maryland, Kentucky.

A fair cop...

/more Python humour

A fair cop...

/more Python humour

Furthermore, the OP request is for Great Ideas of TODAY'S Republican Party. I keep repeating that... and no ideas show up.
Today's Republican Party is no less evil than the regime of Pol Pot. And if they get their way, there will be that much bloodshed and more.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: I hope you're better than this, WAB.

I am angry at the Israeli government, NOT for tearing down the Walls of Jericho over 3000 years ago, but for the injustices they commit today.

I do NOT credit the present government of Persia/Iran for its move toward liberal democracy in 1951; and certainly not for the enlightened reign of Cyrus the Great.

Crediting the present GOP — VERY VERY obviously BY FAR the more racist of America's two Parties — with the Emancipation is very VERY weird. The only charitable explanation I can come up with is that you, WAB, are unusually ignorant about American politics.

Reactions: WAB
Lush Rimjob had a fine time ranting and raving about the phase out of old style filament bulbs. With three hours a day to fill, he could always go to that to rile up the rubes. But since then prices for these hated LED light bulbs has dropped. I just bought a 4 pack of them from Walmart for $10.00. 100 watt equivalent, bright sunlight LED bulbs. Which will out last old style filament bulbs 10 times over.

Back
Top Bottom