• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Harvey Weinstein scandal

You say that you generally keep your hands to yourself. So where you think you have "offended people lots of times without realising it" and how does that - in your opinion - constitute sexual harassment?

Well, in principle, sexual harassment can be verbal, or even totally silent*, yeah? I might have said or done non-tactile things which felt to the other person like I was harassing them. I'm not saying I did, but you don't always know when you've caused offence.

* A man could overtly stare at a woman's breasts across a dinner table, for example.

You say that he is upfront about his hopes when on dates (i.e. - not when he is at work or to random women he hasn't met before). You also say he would "take a lot of refusals, as many as it took, and waited for the one" - do you mean that he would repeatedly ask the same woman, or that he would be upfront each time he dated a different woman until he found a woman that shared his pov/preferences?

The scenario I was describing was him on a night out, without a prior date, and him going around trying it on with a sequence of women. Knowing him, I'd guess he wasn't always put off at the first attempt, and he probably indulged in some of the usual flirting techniques, such as positioning his body in close proximity, or touching an arm or whatever.

Bear in mind that here I am trying to examine the grey areas, not the more clear cut areas. Or to put it another way, the situations that 'ordinary people' have to negotiate on a day to day basis in their interactions with others. Interpersonal sexual politics if you like, and how that relates to the possibility of harassment and assault.

Did you watch that Carol Tavris video? I thought it had a lot of interesting and relevant things to say on the issue, about confirmation bias and self-justification and miscommunications for example. Also that some research shows that women sometimes say no when they don't necessarily mean it. Controversial? Possibly. But in a social context, part of the picture. A woman, for social/cultural reasons that still unfortunately pertain in a lot of places, may put up a token defence rather than be seen to be a pushover and by extension possibly a slut. Guy knows about this possibility and doesn't give up. We are starting to get the ingredients for miscommunication. If both are drunk it's potentially worse. If both are drunk in the privacy of a bedroom it's potentially even worse again.

Last edited:
And the latest in the never ending saga....

Tavis Smiley:

http://www.tmz.com/2017/12/13/tavis-smiley-suspended-pbs-sexual-misconduct/

I always enjoyed Tavis's show. Seemed to be a likeable guy. No more, though. Too bad. Man, what is it about PBS? Aren't they supposed to be all enlightened and "progressive" and stuff?

Morgan Spurlock:

http://www.tmz.com/2017/12/13/morgan-spurlock-sexual-harassment-admits-problem-rape/

No tears shed for Morgan. The guy's an idiot.

Well now Tavis is calling his accusers a bunch of "lyin' liars", and is complaining about being denied his "due process". So, here we have a liberal black man who sounds like he's channeling Derec. I feel like I'm in the Bizarro world...

http://www.tmz.com/2017/12/14/tavis-smiley-pbs-sexual-misconduct-fighting-back/

Never liked Tavis Smiley. So no big loss for me here.
He seemed too pushy and imposing for interviewer. I think a lot of high paid/influential TV personalities are basically narcissistic assholes who pretend to care but really don't.

He seemed too pushy and imposing for interviewer. I think a lot of high paid/influential TV personalities are basically narcissistic assholes who pretend to care but really don't.

I'm sure your dislike of Tavis had nothing to do with the fact that he was just about the only public figure forcing white people to listen to discussions about racism. I believe "preachy" is the term used when white fragility is triggered by any discussion of racism?

I'm sure your dislike of Tavis had nothing to do with the fact that he was just about the only public figure forcing white people to listen to discussions about racism. I believe "preachy" is the term used when white fragility is triggered by any discussion of racism?
Yeah, that's the word - "preachy". And no, my dislike of him has nothing to do with with what you said. I am no white american and therefore can't be a racist, certainly not against blacks.

http://people.com/movies/meryl-streep-targeted-posters-claiming-she-knew-harvey-weinstein/
Posters featuring a photograph of Meryl Streep next to Harvey Weinstein with the phrase “She Knew” written across the actress’s eyes popped up around Los Angeles on Tuesday.

Streep has denied that she was aware of Weinstein’s alleged sexual misconduct over the years. “The disgraceful news about Harvey Weinstein has appalled those of us whose work he championed, and those whose good and worthy causes he supported,” said Streep in a statement shortly after the Weinstein news broke in October. “The intrepid women who raised their voices to expose this abuse are our heroes.”
She probably and very likely knew I think.

http://people.com/movies/meryl-streep-targeted-posters-claiming-she-knew-harvey-weinstein/
Posters featuring a photograph of Meryl Streep next to Harvey Weinstein with the phrase “She Knew” written across the actress’s eyes popped up around Los Angeles on Tuesday.

Streep has denied that she was aware of Weinstein’s alleged sexual misconduct over the years. “The disgraceful news about Harvey Weinstein has appalled those of us whose work he championed, and those whose good and worthy causes he supported,” said Streep in a statement shortly after the Weinstein news broke in October. “The intrepid women who raised their voices to expose this abuse are our heroes.”
She probably and very likely knew I think.

She has publicly shown support for not only Weinstein (she referred to him as "God"), but director Roman Polanski, child rapist, as well. What Roy Moore did pales in comparison to what Polanski did. Yet another Hollywood hypocrit.

Meryl Streep needs to Shut the Fuck Up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JO88pWIkuuM

Back
Top Bottom