• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Harvey Weinstein scandal

http://people.com/movies/meryl-streep-targeted-posters-claiming-she-knew-harvey-weinstein/
Posters featuring a photograph of Meryl Streep next to Harvey Weinstein with the phrase “She Knew” written across the actress’s eyes popped up around Los Angeles on Tuesday.

Streep has denied that she was aware of Weinstein’s alleged sexual misconduct over the years. “The disgraceful news about Harvey Weinstein has appalled those of us whose work he championed, and those whose good and worthy causes he supported,” said Streep in a statement shortly after the Weinstein news broke in October. “The intrepid women who raised their voices to expose this abuse are our heroes.”
She probably and very likely knew I think.

This kind of secondary shaming is out of line, in my opinion. Trying to second-guess who knew, and then shame them the same as the actual rapist, is wrong.

Does Rose McGowan want to shame victims who kept silent, too?

Those posters are idiotic, that's getting into actual witch hunt territory.

It's weird for McGowan to attack someone else for not speaking out when she didn't neither.

It's weird for McGowan to attack someone else for not speaking out when she didn't neither.

Actually, she did. She reported it when Weinstein raped her, went to the heads of the studio, tried to tell others in the industry. Weinstein basically destroyed her reputation and made everyone think she was crazy.

But there were many many many other victims who did not speak out... in part because they saw what was done to people like McGowan when they did.

She says she told a few people, but she obviously didn't tell that many because this year is the first we're all hearing about it. I don't blame her for keeping quiet, but it's weird that she wants to blame others for doing so too.

Black woman accuses Charle Rose of racism for not sexually harassing her. #metoo

And while many of us on staff were subject to Charlie’s unsolicited shoulder massages and physical intimidation, as he towered above us at a height over six feet tall, the women Charlie preferred and preyed upon—at least that I witnessed—were white. It was an environment that all but erased me, while simultaneously exploiting me as a black woman.

In America, the most desirable woman in the room—the most sacred, coveted, enshrined woman—has always been the white woman. As a survivor of sexual assault myself, I know that we women of color are victims as much, if not more, than white women

I felt like an exotic anomaly he could move around the chessboard at his whim—and I was supposed be grateful for it.

To be clear, I’m not suggesting it would have been preferable for Charlie to have preyed upon me, too—but rather, his sexualization of white women was a manifestation of gendered power dynamics in the same way that his not sexualizing me was an expression of racialized power dynamics.

Not the Onion.

Black woman accuses Charle Rose of racism for not sexually harassing her. #metoo

And while many of us on staff were subject to Charlie’s unsolicited shoulder massages and physical intimidation, as he towered above us at a height over six feet tall, the women Charlie preferred and preyed upon—at least that I witnessed—were white. It was an environment that all but erased me, while simultaneously exploiting me as a black woman.

In America, the most desirable woman in the room—the most sacred, coveted, enshrined woman—has always been the white woman. As a survivor of sexual assault myself, I know that we women of color are victims as much, if not more, than white women

I felt like an exotic anomaly he could move around the chessboard at his whim—and I was supposed be grateful for it.

To be clear, I’m not suggesting it would have been preferable for Charlie to have preyed upon me, too—but rather, his sexualization of white women was a manifestation of gendered power dynamics in the same way that his not sexualizing me was an expression of racialized power dynamics.

Not the Onion.

Seems like a fair point to me. Or could be. I don't know enough about the guy or the situation. Personally, she's not super attractive to me, so maybe she wasn't to him either. Was he racist? As I say, I don't know enough about him, but...maybe I would not be too surprised, but I'd have to withhold judgement.

Ed Westwick has been removed from his latest project and filming for "White Gold" has been paused.

Ed Westwick has been dropped from the BBC's adaptation of Agatha Christie's Ordeal By Innocence. The corporation made the decision after a number of sexual assault allegations were made against the actor. The TV drama had already been shot, but Westwick will now be replaced by Christian Cooke - who it's understood will shoot the new footage this month. In November, Westwick vehemently denied allegations of rape, which had been made by two women.

BBC

This is disappointing as I was quite enjoying White Gold. These are serious allegations against him (rape) but no charges have been filed and yet he has lost his job.

Not the Onion.

Seems like a fair point to me. Or could be. I don't know enough about the guy or the situation. Personally, she's not super attractive to me, so maybe she wasn't to him either. Was he racist? As I say, I don't know enough about him, but...maybe I would not be too surprised, but I'd have to withhold judgement.
I don’t see how being more attracted to women of your own ethnic group would mean you’re a racist.

As far as white women being “the most sacred, coveted, enshrined women”...
I think plenty of white guys would like to have relationships with black women. But generally speaking, I think there is the perception, by white men, that black women aren’t interested in them.

Last edited:

Actually, she did. She reported it when Weinstein raped her, went to the heads of the studio, tried to tell others in the industry. Weinstein basically destroyed her reputation and made everyone think she was crazy.

But there were many many many other victims who did not speak out... in part because they saw what was done to people like McGowan when they did.

If she didn't tell the police or go public with it at the time, then she's a hypocrite for attacking others who didn't on her behalf.
Only the small handful of people in Hollywood with more power than Weinstein would have been able to do or say anything without being sued into the poor house. So, the fact that she privately told a few people doesn't mean much other than for the actual studio heads.

Now she's attacking all the women at the Globe's last night as "Fakes", many victims themselves, wrongly claiming they all could have stopped it earlier. It's sad that she is now self-promoting at the expense of other women in Hollywood, feeding the alt-right narrative that #theyallknew, which is their way of making the whole thing about the evils of liberal Hollywood rather than of workplace sexual harassment in the culture generally.

What people knew is irrelevant, unless they had the legal ability to say it without being sued for slander, which they did not without the actual victims taking legal action. 20 years ago McGowan chose to take a payday by getting a settlement for Weinstein in exchange for not going public or filing charges. Then she chose to appear as his sexual armcandy several times in the following decades. That makes her more guilty of whatever she's accusing most of Hollywood of.

Not the Onion.

Is it racist to say that women with darker skin and Afro-American facial features are less attractive than women with Eastern European features and light skin? even if making a wide generalization? I say there is no accounting for taste. Racism plays into how one treats a person.. but sexuality is a whole other thing. To claim racism around not being considered pretty is a pitiful cop out, you ugly bitch..

Do we have a picture?
Oh, we do:
rebecca-carroll-1512081099.jpeg

Nah, not a racism if you ask me.

Is it racist to say that women with darker skin and Afro-American facial features are less attractive than women with Eastern European features and light skin?

Yes, it is. You are making a untrue generalisation based on race, which is the very definition of racism.

Is it racist to say that women with darker skin and Afro-American facial features are less attractive than women with Eastern European features and light skin?

Yes, it is. You are making a untrue generalisation based on race, which is the very definition of racism.

To add clarity (that I thought unnecessary) what if the question was framed like this:

Is it racist to say that women with darker skin and Afro-American facial features are GENERALLY less attractive TO ME than women with Eastern European features and light skin? That removes the "untrue" aspect for those that didn't "see" the "to me" in any opinion or preference statement made by anyone about anything. (i.e. - it is only an untrue generalization TO YOU - you didn't mention that you weren't speaking for all of humankind)

Then is it also wrong to say that women that are less physically fit are less attractive (to me)? It is a preference based on another aspect of appearance.... it is just another set of features.

To show a picture of a super-model that few would argue is not hot as shit, and also happens to be black is just a "I have black friends" failure of a defense, in my opinion.

In a lengthy Facebook post on Friday night, actress Eliza Dushku accused stunt coordinator Joel Kramer of sexually molesting her on the set of True Lies when she was 12 years old, and he was 36. “I have struggled with how and when to disclose this, if ever,” she wrote. “At the time, I shared what happened to me with my parents, two adult friends and one of my older brothers. No one seemed ready to confront this taboo subject then, nor was I.”

I remember, so clearly 25 years later, how Joel Kramer made me feel special, how he methodically built my and my parents’ trust, for months grooming me; exactly how he lured me to his Miami hotel room with a promise to my parent that he would take me for a swim at the stunt crew’s hotel pool and for my first sushi meal thereafter. I remember vividly how he methodically drew the shades and turned down the lights; how he cranked up the air-conditioning to what felt like freezing levels, where exactly he placed me on one of the two hotel room beds, what movie he put on the television (Coneheads); how he disappeared in the bathroom and emerged, naked, bearing nothing but a small hand towel held flimsy at his mid-section. I remember what I was wearing (my favorite white denim shorts, thankfully, secured enough for me to keep on). I remember how he laid me down on the bed, wrapped me with his gigantic writhing body, and rubbed all over me. He spoke these words: “You’re not going to sleep on me now sweetie, stop pretending you’re sleeping,” as he rubbed harder and faster against my catatonic body. When he was ‘finished’, he suggested, “I think we should be careful…,” [about telling anyone] he meant. I was 12, he was 36.

she said that Kramer had nicknamed her “Jailbait” on set and even jokingly used the nickname in the presence of other crew members.

She also alleged that she had been injured on set after one of the adults she had told about the incident visited the production. “To be clear, over the course of those months rehearsing and filming True Lies, it was Joel Kramer who was responsible for my safety on a film that at the time broke new ground for action films,” she wrote. “Whereas he was supposed to be my protector, he was my abuser.”

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/01/eliza-dushku-joel-kramer-sexual-assault-allegations

To add clarity (that I thought unnecessary) what if the question was framed like this:

Is it racist to say that women with darker skin and Afro-American facial features are GENERALLY less attractive TO ME than women with Eastern European features and light skin? That removes the "untrue" aspect for those that didn't "see" the "to me" in any opinion or preference statement made by anyone about anything. (i.e. - it is only an untrue generalization TO YOU - you didn't mention that you weren't speaking for all of humankind)

Then is it also wrong to say that women that are less physically fit are less attractive (to me)? It is a preference based on another aspect of appearance.... it is just another set of features.

To show a picture of a super-model that few would argue is not hot as shit, and also happens to be black is just a "I have black friends" failure of a defense, in my opinion.

I think the "generally" addition makes it more palitable. I think adding the "too me" on its own would still make it racist because you would be making a statement about all the black (and white) women you have never met. Despite your objection in the last sentence, I am sure that I could easily chose a black woman and a white woman to put before you such that you have to admit the black woman is hotter. However, an observational factual statement about your own expeiences would not be racist. For example saying that "In the past, I have usually found women with darker skin and Afro-American facial features to be less attractive than women with Eastern European features and light skin," would not be racist. But that is not what you wrote.

I think the "generally" addition makes it more palitable. I think adding the "too me" on its own would still make it racist because you would be making a statement about all the black (and white) women you have never met. Despite your objection in the last sentence, I am sure that I could easily chose a black woman and a white woman to put before you such that you have to admit the black woman is hotter. However, an observational factual statement about your own expeiences would not be racist. For example saying that "In the past, I have usually found women with darker skin and Afro-American facial features to be less attractive than women with Eastern European features and light skin," would not be racist. But that is not what you wrote.

Correct. That is not what I wrote. The reason I did not, and instead took the shorthand is that the way you write it, it becomes extremely cumbersome of a statement.

Winston Churchill said:
This is the sort of English up with which I will not put.

While not grammatically cumbersome... it should simply be unnecessary to add "in my opinion" or "in my experience" to every single sentence I ever write that is not a direct quote of someone else or a factual tautology

I mean, neither do you...

Jon Osterman said:
an observational factual statement about your own expeiences would not be racist.

I think you may have meant to say, "In my opinion, ... would not be racist." You aren't speaking for everyone, are you?

Jon Osterman said:
For example saying that "In the past, I have usually found women with darker skin and Afro-American facial features to be less attractive than women with Eastern European features and light skin," would not be racist.

I think you may have meant to say, ".... would not be racist TO ME" (meaning you).

You even tried very hard to make every sentence follow your sentiment... which reads awkwardly with "I think" repeated often... but not always.

Correct. That is not what I wrote. The reason I did not, and instead took the shorthand is that the way you write it, it becomes extremely cumbersome of a statement.

Sure. I have no problem with that. And I wasn't complaining about you doing that. I was pointing out that a sentence that you had held up as an example of not being racist was in fact racist unless edited to include caveats.

I mean, neither do you...

Jon Osterman said:
an observational factual statement about your own expeiences would not be racist.

I think you may have meant to say, "In my opinion, ... would not be racist." You aren't speaking for everyone, are you?

I disagree with this though. I think something can be objectively racist, so would be racist irrespective of the reader. Whether someone finds it racist or not is up to them, but doesn't change the fact that it is racist. A red car is still red even though a blind person can't see it.

I do agree with the sentiment though that one should assume these caveats are already present when reading a statement, instead of simply assuming the worst of the writer.

Back
Top Bottom