• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Health eating isn't always healthy

Because truly healthy is what your brain already has programed for you. I know people that "look like they could stand to lose weight" that are VERY healthy and I've seen people that are a size two that are EXTREMELY unhealthy. There is a genetic barometer for weight in your brain and you will be hard pressed to considerably deviate from that without adversely affecting your health.

Makes sense. Eat well, be active, and let the chips* fall where they may.**

*mmm

**unless you're sick, then your body may not be up to the task.

I eat home made food as daily consumption. In my house we used to have a day (Friday) which was called "Junk Food Day", where we bought McDonalds for breakfast and some fried chicken or sandwich for lunch.

The breakfast caused me symptoms like diarrhea, well, I wasn't the only one at home suffering the same. It was like our weekly laxative. Somehow bacteria or some ingredient in that food caused me to have such reaction.

Junk Food Day was necessary, because the body must get used to junk food. You are always exposed to eat junk food when you travel driving a car, when you are with friends going out, etc.

So, to prevent a unfavorable reaction, the body must have some knowledge of that kind of food.

On the other hand, a glass of juice has way more sugar than a soda. Lots of vegetables in restaurants have been sprayed with additives to maintain them fresh. Who knows how long ago the delicious chicken soup has been prepared in a restaurant.

In other words, eating healthy really requires lots of care, taking your own food for lunch time at work, and things like that.

But, lets go further. The chicken you buy at the market is a genetically modified chicken produced in miles long underground factories. These chicken never see sun light, live in cages, fed on food running in a feeder canal in front of them, the poo poo of these chicken goes to a river running under the cages, the poo poo goes to a processor machine which separates 65% of it to be mixed with additives and return back to the feeder canal.

This is how healthy is the chicken sold in most of the USA.

About fish... the same. Growth in pools, where even with the most care, they will end eating their own excrement, plus the water is not purified properly, in other words, that fish is completely different than the one from a natural environment. For example, Salmon from the river has the flesh orange going to red. The fish is not "fat" because travels a lot and the body is "fit", and, of course, "smells".

On the other hand, salmon from pools, are fat, the flesh is from orange to white, and it doesn't have strong smell.

You must pay "extra" to eat "healthy fish".

About fruits, for example. The worst that the food industry has made is producing fruits without seeds. You have no idea how bad becomes eating seedless fruits. You think you are eating "healthy" but seedless fruits lack of ingredients which by nature serve as protectors of your health. When you eat seedless fruits you are eating sugary food only, the natural protection against some diseases is missed.

The food industry practically has destroyed the meaning of "healthy food". The worst is that our bodies get used to junk food and demand the "drug" and reject healthy food. Children will prefer a soda over having a fresh made lemonade or orange juice made with fruits with seeds. As snack sweet cookies will be over an apple, or Doritos over a healthy sandwich with lettuce and tomatoes included.

And about bodies and health.

As long as the individual is not obese, being overweight is not unhealthy. In many cases a heavy body is by inheritance, and there is nothing wrong with the individual but was born with heavy bones and require of more flesh surrounding it. As long as walking, running, playing a sport is a routine, being overweight is not much an issue.

Main thing is what we eat. I myself don't follow rigorously a healthy food consumption, but I don't abuse eating junk food.

I can just suggest you to please yourself considering that what you eat will cause consequences in your body, and if not today, then later on, you will suffer a lot because the poor health in your latter years.

At least, think about it.
There is nothing that isnt genetically modified. Genetic modification is the base for evolution.

How anybody can think useless body fat is a good thing is beyond me.

Obesity tends to lead to hypertension and diabetes.

It should be avoided.

Anorexia is a psychological problem probably more related to constant advertising and choices for entertainment than BMI indexes.
Obesity in itself is not unhealthy (except that extreme obesity gives direct physical issues).
It is bad diet and little physical training that is the problem. Not the amount if fat.

Some people can smoke for decades and have no problems.

Does that make smoking not a problem?

Obesity over time leads to diabetes and hypertension in many. This can over time destroy the kidneys and vision and peripheral circulation and sensation.

But of course not in everybody.

Nope, you're not correct. You have a genetic weight that is normal/healthy for you. Attempting to deviate too much from that will either way will end up creating unhealthy situations. And BMI is NOT A MEASURE OF HEALTH so your second sentence is just ludicrous.
BMI=30 is not healthy no matter what. And yes, I am correct. Any animal will get fat if they are allowed to eat as much as they want. That's evolutionary advantageous when food is scarce which has been the case until recently.

Plenty of cats can be free-fed without getting fat.

So why didn't I do that when I smoked the first day I started working viners podding peas for Safeway in Milton Freewater? Might be I had just graduated HS and thought the world was my cherry, or, I was trying to make new friends in the laboring class or ......

I eat home made food as daily consumption. In my house we used to have a day (Friday) which was called "Junk Food Day", where we bought McDonalds for breakfast and some fried chicken or sandwich for lunch.

The breakfast caused me symptoms like diarrhea, well, I wasn't the only one at home suffering the same. It was like our weekly laxative. Somehow bacteria or some ingredient in that food caused me to have such reaction.

Junk Food Day was necessary, because the body must get used to junk food. You are always exposed to eat junk food when you travel driving a car, when you are with friends going out, etc.

So, to prevent a unfavorable reaction, the body must have some knowledge of that kind of food.

On the other hand, a glass of juice has way more sugar than a soda. Lots of vegetables in restaurants have been sprayed with additives to maintain them fresh. Who knows how long ago the delicious chicken soup has been prepared in a restaurant.

In other words, eating healthy really requires lots of care, taking your own food for lunch time at work, and things like that.

But, lets go further. The chicken you buy at the market is a genetically modified chicken produced in miles long underground factories. These chicken never see sun light, live in cages, fed on food running in a feeder canal in front of them, the poo poo of these chicken goes to a river running under the cages, the poo poo goes to a processor machine which separates 65% of it to be mixed with additives and return back to the feeder canal.

This is how healthy is the chicken sold in most of the USA.

About fish... the same. Growth in pools, where even with the most care, they will end eating their own excrement, plus the water is not purified properly, in other words, that fish is completely different than the one from a natural environment. For example, Salmon from the river has the flesh orange going to red. The fish is not "fat" because travels a lot and the body is "fit", and, of course, "smells".

On the other hand, salmon from pools, are fat, the flesh is from orange to white, and it doesn't have strong smell.

You must pay "extra" to eat "healthy fish".

About fruits, for example. The worst that the food industry has made is producing fruits without seeds. You have no idea how bad becomes eating seedless fruits. You think you are eating "healthy" but seedless fruits lack of ingredients which by nature serve as protectors of your health. When you eat seedless fruits you are eating sugary food only, the natural protection against some diseases is missed.

The food industry practically has destroyed the meaning of "healthy food". The worst is that our bodies get used to junk food and demand the "drug" and reject healthy food. Children will prefer a soda over having a fresh made lemonade or orange juice made with fruits with seeds. As snack sweet cookies will be over an apple, or Doritos over a healthy sandwich with lettuce and tomatoes included.

And about bodies and health.

As long as the individual is not obese, being overweight is not unhealthy. In many cases a heavy body is by inheritance, and there is nothing wrong with the individual but was born with heavy bones and require of more flesh surrounding it. As long as walking, running, playing a sport is a routine, being overweight is not much an issue.

Main thing is what we eat. I myself don't follow rigorously a healthy food consumption, but I don't abuse eating junk food.

I can just suggest you to please yourself considering that what you eat will cause consequences in your body, and if not today, then later on, you will suffer a lot because the poor health in your latter years.

At least, think about it.
There is nothing that isnt genetically modified. Genetic modification is the base for evolution.

Definitively you have not seen "that" artificially genetically modified chicken, I think is R57 or similar name, with atrophied legs and other degraded characteristics.

Such is not evolution but yuck yuck yuck chicken, eating back 65% their own doo doo... yuck yuck yuck... These chicken have not even flavor... I saw the documentary... apparently you ignore what are you eating when you go to those cheap carry out stores and when you buy cheap chicken at the food markets.

Forget about silly and stupid theories which won't take you anywhere, because those make you live in a world of fantasy.

The miles underground chicken factory was even published in magazines of science in the 60's. In those publications, same as you read about your theory, everything looks clean and neat "in paper", but in reality those underground factories are zombie movies alike, with deformed creatures eating excrement mixed with additives.

But, yes, you better live your world where, how is it? of yes, species live better without wings, without teeth, without fingers, without legs, and so forth. Lol

You seem to be happy believing those ideas.

I'm just telling you that in your diet when you eat chicken in carry outs you are consuming 65% doo doo chicken.(*)

(*) In nature, birds like chicken might consume about 10% of their own doo doo. They are animals and when no other food is available like worms and similar, they just eat what they have available, but this is a minimum level of this kind of consumption.)

It should be avoided.

Anorexia is a psychological problem probably more related to constant advertising and choices for entertainment than BMI indexes.
No sir, it is not. It is a genetically based brain disorder with psychological components. It has nothing to do with advertising or choices for entertainment. If that were in fact true, just about everyone would have anorexia. What it does have, however, is the highest mortality rate of any mental disorder.

Because truly healthy is what your brain already has programed for you. I know people that "look like they could stand to lose weight" that are VERY healthy and I've seen people that are a size two that are EXTREMELY unhealthy. There is a genetic barometer for weight in your brain and you will be hard pressed to considerably deviate from that without adversely affecting your health.

What exactly do you mean here? That if you just let people eat whatever they want, it will be difficult for them to deviate from a healthy state? That is clearly contradicted by the epidemic of chronic diseases that are totally preventable (and mostly reversible) by changing diet.
If people ate Intuitively, is normally active then they will reach a weight that is normal for them and will likely not deviate ten pounds either way. It is also where they are likely to be the most healthy. For some, this is with a higher weight. For others a lower weight. However, if you try to force your body to be something its not, you're likely to run into health issues.....both physical and mental.

It should be avoided.

There is absolutely no evidence that obesity leads to Type 2 diabetes. It is just as probable (more so even since it too is genetic), that insulin resistance actually leads to obesity.

It should be avoided.

There is absolutely no evidence that obesity leads to Type 2 diabetes. It is just as probable (more so even since it too is genetic), that insulin resistance actually leads to obesity.

Just a quick google scholar search: http://science.sciencemag.org/content/306/5695/457

Nope, you're not correct. You have a genetic weight that is normal/healthy for you. Attempting to deviate too much from that will either way will end up creating unhealthy situations. And BMI is NOT A MEASURE OF HEALTH so your second sentence is just ludicrous.
BMI=30 is not healthy no matter what. And yes, I am correct. Any animal will get fat if they are allowed to eat as much as they want. That's evolutionary advantageous when food is scarce which has been the case until recently.
Sorry but yes, you are. BMI is NOT A MEASURE OF HEALTH. A body builder will likely have a BMI of 30. An animal in the wild will not eat more than they need. They eat intuitively. Your body will slow down your metabolism however if you are starving which is why "dieting" actually leads to greater weight gain ultimately.

It should be avoided.

Just a quick google scholar search: http://science.sciencemag.org/content/306/5695/457
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/47101698.php

Eating healthy rewards can be seen when you compare people who eat healthy with others who don't.

Besides of mandatory exercises in the space station, even when astronauts eat the same food over there, American and Russian astronauts come from different backgrounds about diet.

American astronauts are more exposed to sodas, food with artificial additives, possible consumption of ingredients like proteins added to their diet, etc. In Russia the food is not that artificial, it might be lees in variation and quantity, but is has more tendency to a healthy diet.

After 6 or more months in outer space, Russian astronauts can walk to their centers of recovery.

On the other hand, American astronauts need help to come out of the returning space vehicle plus are transported to the recovery center in wheelchairs.

In the past, when you look the tournament of Football (Soccer) worldwide level, European countries and Russia were mostly the winners of the tournament, even if they didn't play the best. Only Brazil, Argentina and Uruguay lasted up to the end and sometimes won the tournament.

Third world countries with their beautiful style playing in the field, were very good the first round, to end with huge scores against them in the second round.

The players were very good players, but their health wasn't that good. After a rough two first weeks playing every three days, the third world teams were exhausted and other teams with healthier players practically danced over them.

Today, diet is a very important strategy in the third world teams, they prepare very well before the tournament. Decades ago, they used to go out and drink and smoke celebrating their first victory, today everything has changed for better.

When the less expected situation happens, a good health thanks to good diet and a discipline doing some exercises could be the help needed to escape from trouble, save someone, etc.

It should be avoided.

They use abdominal circumference measurements, not BMI.

Look up "metabolic syndrome".

Playball40 said:
FTR, EDs kills more people than ANY OTHER MENTAL ILLNESS, including depression.

I always considered eating disorders as mental conditions. Understood of course is that all "mental" conditions are ultimately biological/chemical, meaning physical.

J842P said:
What exactly do you mean here? That if you just let people eat whatever they want, it will be difficult for them to deviate from a healthy state? That is clearly contradicted by the epidemic of chronic diseases that are totally preventable (and mostly reversible) by changing diet.

Many people are in denial of this because the like eating garbage that make them unhealthy. Many - perhaps most - don't know what real food is anymore. They equate twinkies and big macs with beans, whole grains and nuts.

Speakpigeon said:
The fat will decide how quickly you'll get eaten by predators.

If you're a predator, then it's normally self-regulating. If you're too fat, it gets tricky to catch you next meal that's usually running away.

Still, doesn't work in our case.
EB

That is insightful. Never thought about it that way. Fat prey is easily caught and fat predators can't compete as well catching prey.

Personally, I think it's possible to be overweight and healthy, so long as the extra pounds are coming from real food, not the shit people eat instead.

I don't like the way I look when I'm fat. My clothes don't fit, the shoes are tight, I'm lethargic, slow to wake up.

Maybe this thread should be titled, "How to health shame someone."

I remember witnessing the "walk of shame" at a local amusement park.

The gate opened and people were allowed to climb into the seats for the roller coaster. Once you were seated an attendant came around and lowered a safety bar that kept you in the seat. The bar then locked in place. There was a delay and the attendant was struggling to get the bar down and locked in the front car. Finally he could be heard talking to the rider who got up from her seat and had to leave because she was too overweight to fit safely into the seat.

So I guess if you like to ride in old rickety roller coasters built at a time when people were thinner, you're gonna have a problem if you're carrying around too many pounds. :)

Sorry but yes, you are. BMI is NOT A MEASURE OF HEALTH. A body builder will likely have a BMI of 30. An animal in the wild will not eat more than they need. They eat intuitively. Your body will slow down your metabolism however if you are starving which is why "dieting" actually leads to greater weight gain ultimately.

Not a good illustration--body builders aren't exactly an example of doing it right.

Using BMI for populations is one thing - it's inaccuracies (hopefully) average out in a large population. But BMI is a bad individual measure for a variety of reasons, including the fact that people's weights don't scale quadratically with their heights. The cubic  Ponderal index is better, but the true value is probably closer to 2.75. Even then, reducing it to a single number won't be as predictive as actually measuring body fat.

Back
Top Bottom