• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Help me find it: Exodus with actual math

Rhea

Cyborg with a Tiara
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Humanist
Years ago I read an aricle that took the numbers presented in the bible for years and populations and journeys and the exodus and they did the actual math saying, “okay, if the Jews were in egypt this long, and they started witth this group, and they left at this time with this many people, hee’s how many kids each woman had to have. And if they had tis many, here’s how long a lne itt would have been and how much food they’d have nneeded in the desert.

It was a fun read and I can’t seem to ressurect it. Help a pal out?

Years ago I read an aricle that took the numbers presented in the bible for years and populations and journeys and the exodus and they did the actual math saying, “okay, if the Jews were in egypt this long, and they started witth this group, and they left at this time with this many people, hee’s how many kids each woman had to have. And if they had tis many, here’s how long a lne itt would have been and how much food they’d have nneeded in the desert.

Robert Ingersoll? Some Mistakes of Moses if I recall this correctly. It has been many years since I read him.

Some Mistakes Of Moses - Gutenberg Project
We must not forget that during all these years there has been pouring
into our country a vast stream of emigration, and that this, taken
in connection with the fact that our country is productive beyond all
others, gave us only four doubles in one hundred years. Admitting that
the Hebrews increased as rapidly without emigration as we, in this
country, have with it, we will give to them four doubles each century,
commencing with seventy people, and they would have, at the end of
two hundred years, a population of seventeen thousand nine hundred and
twenty. Giving them another double for the odd fifteen years and there
would be, provided no deaths had occurred, thirty-five thousand eight
hundred and forty people. And yet we are told that instead of having
this number, they had increased to such an extent that they had six
hundred thousand men of war: that is to say, a population of more than
three millions!

I can't help you with the article, but it appears your keys are sticking? :whisper:

Do you mean this one?

http://www.tektonics.org/af/exoduslogistics.php

Even if the Exodus is a literal event (as seems more than a tad unlikely given the utter lack of corroborating evidence, but who knows, I suppose) I tend to feel that Biblical estimates of number are not to be trusted. We often see the same event described with different numbers attached; The Book of Chronicles and the Book of Kings are famous for throwing in some extra zeroes between them.

Not that one - his math is terrible. Lots of handwaving and he lets everyne have their kids twice.

Even if the Exodus is a literal event (as seems more than a tad unlikely given the utter lack of corroborating evidence, but who knows, I suppose) I tend to feel that Biblical estimates of number are not to be trusted. We often see the same event described with different numbers attached; The Book of Chronicles and the Book of Kings are famous for throwing in some extra zeroes between them.

True, the bible lies a lot. But it can be fun to stipulate the lie and see where it leads.

Just a note: If you compare different translations of the Old Testament, you'll find a lot of vague numbers. Three hundred cattle might be three thousand cattle, and so on. Apparently, Hebrew numerals can be ambiguous.

Just a note: If you compare different translations of the Old Testament, you'll find a lot of vague numbers. Three hundred cattle might be three thousand cattle, and so on. Apparently, Hebrew numerals can be ambiguous.

It's not just the Hebrew numerals that can do this. An example from coverage of the flooding due to Cyclone Yasi back in 2011:

More than 30,000 pigs have been floating down the Dawson River since last weekend...
The Morning Bulletin, Rockhampton, 6th January, 2011

Correction

What Baralaba piggery-owner Sid Everingham actually said was "30 sows and pigs", not "30,000 pigs"
The Morning Bulletin, Rockhampton, 7th January, 2011

https://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/transcripts/1101_bulletin.pdf

If I was looking for an article of that type would start with Prof. Israel Finkelstein. He was really popular around the atheosphere "years ago".
And that was his schtick so-to-speak...debunking the Exodus.

https://www.haaretz.com/1.4777188

....The Book of Chronicles and the Book of Kings are famous for throwing in some extra zeroes between them.
2 Chronicles 7:5a
"King Solomon offered a sacrifice of 22,000 oxen and 120,000 sheep"

I guess that would be inside the Temple...

More fake interest in bible topics.
What's up? Did you run out of books on non-stamp collecting Rhea?
Bored? You wanna re-read Exodus myther stuff that you already agree with?

I thought the sacrifices took place on an altar just outside the temple. Inside the temple complex, but out of doors.

More fake interest in bible topics.
What's up? Did you run out of books on non-stamp collecting Rhea?
Bored? You wanna re-read Exodus myther stuff that you already agree with?
Dear Lion, I like math. This is a math problem. Math problems don’t need to be non-fiction.

You seem a little agitated and emotional. It’s okay, this is a safe space. Here you can be simply an observer if you don’t care for the discussion. You don’t have to pretend you know the motives of others. Witchcraft is sinful, after all.

And last I heard, Israel Finklestein was still a respected archaeologist. You try to portray him as a guy with a 'schtick,' who is just looking for popularity. Instead, he is very much a part of Israel's very active archaeological community, and there's no country on earth with more interest in archaeology than Israel. When Israel occupied the Sinai Peninsula from 1967 to 1982, they went searching for these Exodus Sites that their bible told them were there. They didn't find them.

Finkelstein lead the project that searched the hill country for the earliest Israelite settlement, and found 300 of them. and no, there were not 3 million people living at these sites as the Bible claims left Egypt with Moses. Their pottery was of Canaanite design, not what you'd expect from a people that started from 75 herdsmen who lived 430 year in Egypt. You'd expect their culture to reflect Egyptian culture in many deep ways. The early Israelites culture does not. Finkelstein is definitely a top tier Near Eastern archaeologist, one of the most serious and respected archaeologists in the world.

Look on a map of the region. North Africa and the region that became Isreal is a very small area. Even a few thousand people wandering around for all those years would have been noticed and recorded. They would have left traces.

I watched a show maybe 6-7 years ago that covered all the archeological evidence to date. A possible scenario is the Exodus was simply escaped Egyptian skives settling in an area.

There are literary techniques used to estimate dates of the books. I'd have to look it up, the allged order of events in the books does not coincide when tall the books were written. Point being the writings that survived were not probably written from direct knowledge.

Exodus was in all likelihood a myth constructed from an oral tradition embellished with the supernatural.

George Washington probably did not chop down a cherry tree, but it is a good moral tale for kids...

One of the interesting aspect of Exodus, is the utter lack of Egyptians in Canaan Moses or Joshua had to deal with. Egypt more or less dominated Canaan until the era of Rameses VI, far too late to account for exodus. The earliest hill top settlements were already to be found by then.

There was a period of time during the ear of the Amarana letters where Egypt ruled much of Canaan with native born Canaanite leaders as proxies. The sons of such chiefs were sent to Egypt to be taught and groomed for that office. And these people were proud of their positions. I have always thought it possible that the idea of Egyptian captivity was a distorted memory of the days where Egypt's pharoahs and village chiefs had a working relationship to ensure peace in the area of Canaan.

Back
Top Bottom