• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

He's just begging for an attack

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/jerusalem-american-embassy-trump-1.4434783

Mr Trump is delivering on that stupid promise. It'll not only please his religious right moron base, but could quite easily provoke an attack in the US. Nothing would suit him better than something spectacular. Lots of Americans who can't stand would rally behind him just like they did for George Bush after the World Trade Centre Attack. Getting a second assured in the first year of his presidency would be quite a coup.

More to the point, would give him the excuse to invoke Martial Law, and turn the U.S.A. into a dictatorship. IF I gave him credit for any brains at all, that is what I would suspect him of. Though he may be taking instructions from Putin.

Mr Trump is delivering on that stupid promise. It'll not only please his religious right moron base, but could quite easily provoke an attack in the US. Nothing would suit him better than something spectacular. Lots of Americans who can't stand would rally behind him just like they did for George Bush after the World Trade Centre Attack. Getting a second assured in the first year of his presidency would be quite a coup.

More to the point, would give him the excuse to invoke Martial Law, and turn the U.S.A. into a dictatorship. IF I gave him credit for any brains at all, that is what I would suspect him of. Though he may be taking instructions from Putin.

I don't know if the above post is meant in jest or you really are the crazy lady screaming on the sidewalk. If the latter, get a grip.

This just proves that Trump is an antisemitic Nazi.
You do realize the religious right doesn't give a butt about Israel, right?

Trump is the religious right? Are you sure?

anigif_sub-buzz-369-1481148935-2.gif

This just proves that Trump is an antisemitic Nazi.
You do realize the religious right doesn't give a butt about Israel, right?

Trump is the religious right? Are you sure?

anigif_sub-buzz-369-1481148935-2.gif

By obvious statements and deeds, he's obviously not of the religious right. But he has convinced a large majority of them that he is, despite all evidence to the contrary. Thus, any bone he throws them is rabidly perceived as Trump doing The Lord's work. And it's not like he's going to impeded anything Mike Pence does to advance the RR's agenda. So practically speaking, he's the RR's biggest ally.

This actually has the stink of Bannon.

Good point

Opoponax : "By obvious statements and deeds, he's obviously not of the religious right. But he has convinced a large majority of them that he is, despite all evidence to the contrary. Thus, any bone he throws them is rabidly perceived as Trump doing The Lord's work. And it's not like he's going to impeded anything Mike Pence does to advance the RR's agenda. So practically speaking, he's the RR's biggest ally."

No, they know he's a dick. But the magic for them is that he'll advance their policies. They'll sell their tiny, flinty souls to reverse Roe vs Wade, or disallow same-sex-marriages, or put prayer into schools. The magic for him of course, is that they'll continue to vote for him, no matter had bad it actually is for them ultimately. A marriage made in hell.

Trump: "And now, I'm delivering."

I've suspected we were in "Deliverance" for a while now.

And Chuck Schumer.

Opoponax : "By obvious statements and deeds, he's obviously not of the religious right. But he has convinced a large majority of them that he is, despite all evidence to the contrary. Thus, any bone he throws them is rabidly perceived as Trump doing The Lord's work. And it's not like he's going to impeded anything Mike Pence does to advance the RR's agenda. So practically speaking, he's the RR's biggest ally."

No, they know he's a dick. But the magic for them is that he'll advance their policies. They'll sell their tiny, flinty souls to reverse Roe vs Wade, or disallow same-sex-marriages, or put prayer into schools. The magic for him of course, is that they'll continue to vote for him, no matter had bad it actually is for them ultimately. A marriage made in hell.

For the pragmatic higher ups, that's probably true. But I have people in my own family who truly believe God put Trump in the Oval Office to effect His purposes. And they vote, and there's a lot of them.

On a sidenote: it's strange that people who are indeed so short sighted, are also willing to wait for two millennia for a Certain Someone to reappear and take them into the sky.

It may be that he is trying to trigger a terrorist attack. After all, the Nazis used a fake terrorist attack as a pretense to take away the rights of Germans. If Trump can use this as an excuse to claim emergency powers, he could make the Mueller investigation go away in a snap.

I must be missing something here.

Trump has never struck me as a particularly religious person, let alone a "let's see if we can make Revelations happen" Christian. And apart from having a soft spot for his son in law doesn't seem to be all that Zionist. He does apparently have a bee in his bonnet regarding Muslims, but moving the US embassy to Jerusalem? That's a fairly complicated "fuck you" to the Palestinians and complicated isn't his MO.

I mean, it is a terrible, short-sighted decision, but where did this come from? I can't imagine that any of the "adults in the room" around him said "yeah, this would be a step in the right direction regarding peace in the Middle East," so what gives?

It is something he promised and he wants to play to his base. Simple as that. He probably realizes it will do more harm than good, and doesn't care.

It may be that he is trying to trigger a terrorist attack. After all, the Nazis used a fake terrorist attack as a pretense to take away the rights of Germans. If Trump can use this as an excuse to claim emergency powers, he could make the Mueller investigation go away in a snap.

Are you saying a "Reichstag fire" event?

Maybe terrorist blowing up the Capitol Building..

Later,
ElectEngr

This idea that Trump is trying to instigate something is far-feteched. He has done this because people said the right things to him, likely 'How he'd be the only President good enough to follow through on it.'
I must be missing something here.
Yes, Trump's biggest attribute, he'll do anything to be admired by enough people. Trump doesn't care about Israel, but if the right people tell him the right things about how great this will be... he'll be on it.

The idea that Trump thinks any decision through would be folly.

- - - Updated - - -

It is something he promised and he wants to play to his base. Simple as that. He probably realizes it will do more harm than good, and doesn't care.
Being a narcissist and an idiot, he lacks the drive to care and the intelligence to understand what outcome this could even have.

Being a narcissist and an idiot, he lacks the drive to care and the intelligence to understand what outcome this could even have.

That or he doesn't care as much about peace in the middle east as he does about his ego. I'd lean towards the latter.

Several thoughts:

- Jerusalem is already the capital of Israel. It has been the capital of the modern state of Israel since 1949. Knesset and most other government organs are in Jerusalem. Jerusalem has historically been the capital of the Kingdom of Judah as well as of the Hasmonean Kingdom. Why is US faulted for recognizing what has been the reality for a long time?
- This is not something Trump came up with. It is based on the law US Congress overwhelmingly passed in 1995. It certainly would have been better if Bill Clinton or GW Bush or Obama had decided to recognize Jerusalem, but unfortunately they were too chicken.
- Last but not least, we should not have our hands tied based on terrorist threaten to do. If we cave, then the terrorists have already won.

P.S.: should this not be in the main Politics forum?

Back
Top Bottom